Author Topic: Marc Johnson Fully Flared Part  (Read 1921 times)

Rockin Robbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Marc Johnson Fully Flared Part
« on: April 02, 2024, 10:43:25 PM »
No reason to repost this other than the fact that I haven't watched it in a long time and there's something nice about rewatching the magnum opus part from one of the greatest of all time. So many head scratchers.

"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 110
Re: Marc Johnson Fully Flared Part
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 10:56:36 PM »
Actually surprised by some of the clips that got used despite ty's high standards, both filming and trick wise

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 11:11:14 PM »
i ain't clickin on your meat-spin link. no, thanks.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 267
  • often correct
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 04:12:11 AM »
one of the worst parts of all time from an undeniably talented skateboarder. the six minutes of bullshit overshadow the five minutes of genuinely impressive skateboarding

i cant believe the skateboarding industry let marc play the “i’m a tortured artist!” card for a bunch of 50-50 pressure flips and mid jokey lines. major L

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 05:49:40 AM »
one of the worst parts of all time from an undeniably talented skateboarder. the six minutes of bullshit overshadow the five minutes of genuinely impressive skateboarding

i cant believe the skateboarding industry let marc play the “i’m a tortured artist!” card for a bunch of 50-50 pressure flips and mid jokey lines. major L

you re nuts

it's a fun part some crazy shit that never needS to be done again but had to be tried.
check my music

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 05:59:24 AM »
i ain't clickin on your meat-spin link. no, thanks.

Which time-appropriate nostalgia misfortune would you rather ?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 06:17:56 AM »
Guy should've gone on last

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 06:33:31 AM »
I still love Yeah Right, but FF is the exact point when I started to hate Ty Evans. There's wayyyy too much filler. MJ's part was great, but should have been 2-songs. I rarely make it past Goodbye Horses.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 06:35:12 AM »
i also rewatched Guy's part the most, and it's even a 2 song part which is a lot.

i normally would show people the mike mo, jesus fernandez, biebel, carroll, koston, mariano, and then just the last song of MJ's part. all the best stuff is in there, would have been like 20 min tops and just wall to wall bangers.

imo rest of the stuff could have been released as a seperate video / side B

but people werent really doing that back then (bootleg 3000 kinda but it ends up being really long because so much slow mo, and one of the guys on the team was pretty ass too and should have been cut)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 06:42:15 AM »
I still love Yeah Right, but FF is the exact point when I started to hate Ty Evans. There's wayyyy too much filler. MJ's part was great, but should have been 2-songs. I rarely make it past Goodbye Horses.

i think thats why the transworld videos were so good, because he had more senior guys on those projects to kind of reign him in a bit. those videos were always a great length too like 30-40 min. then started working with spike jonze and that probably sent him the complete opposite direction and he went even more wild with his ideas. not sure what the word is but its like a bit ego stroking almost to make such a long video in the current era of skate videos lol

I think though when FF came out it was very epxensive to buy from what i remember, I have the box set with the blu ray and stuff i remember itw as like $80 or something. They probably wanted people to feel like they got a shit load of content for the price, and also for how long they worked on it they didnt want to feel like they wasted footage etc. but i mean its jus ta bunch of clips thrown together there is no real cohesion it is pretty hard for most people to stay interested

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 267
  • often correct
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 07:06:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you re nuts

it's a fun part some crazy shit that never needS to be done again but had to be tried.
its the opposite of fun, he somehow lost his mind filming all this stupid shit and stuffing it all in his part borders on masturbatory

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 07:09:53 AM »
Man, this part has really aged. Still a phenomenal part and his magnum opus but I think the last time I watched FF in its whole (which, honestly, probably a decade ago) I remember it still feeling on par with videos of the time.

I still think FF was a landmark video. Kind of signaled the end of the zero/baker/flip handrail/stair heyday and ushered in not just the somewhat gratuitous ledge dancing, but more creative/off the wall skating getting limelight.

Can’t believe it’s approaching 20 years old. Still remember getting a leaked file on Skate perception and watching it on my family computer as a high schooler.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 07:14:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i think thats why the transworld videos were so good, because he had more senior guys on those projects to kind of reign him in a bit. those videos were always a great length too like 30-40 min. then started working with spike jonze and that probably sent him the complete opposite direction and he went even more wild with his ideas. not sure what the word is but its like a bit ego stroking almost to make such a long video in the current era of skate videos lol

I think though when FF came out it was very epxensive to buy from what i remember, I have the box set with the blu ray and stuff i remember itw as like $80 or something. They probably wanted people to feel like they got a shit load of content for the price, and also for how long they worked on it they didnt want to feel like they wasted footage etc. but i mean its jus ta bunch of clips thrown together there is no real cohesion it is pretty hard for most people to stay interested

remember buying it for close to $30 from Active Mailorder when it came out cause my local ran out of copies and was so bummed there were no special features on the original DVD besides that slo-mo mini ramp edit and the official trailer
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1176
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2024, 07:16:44 AM »
i'll still watch Rickk's part and the Jensen/Brady part here and there...
hardly art, hardly starving

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2024, 07:26:25 AM »
Pops part! And Olson’s

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2024, 07:46:19 AM »
i also rewatched Guy's part the most, and it's even a 2 song part which is a lot.
I also appreciate when 2-song parts are from the same artist. Parts like Guy (BoH), Koston (Public Enemy), PRod (Nas), Appleyard (Hole), Arto (Bowie) feel more cohesive. When there are several songs from several artists, it just feels like I'm watching The Storm.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2024, 08:02:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

remember buying it for close to $30 from Active Mailorder when it came out cause my local ran out of copies and was so bummed there were no special features on the original DVD besides that slo-mo mini ramp edit and the official trailer
Might be misremembering but think it was like $75 in Aus (prob about the cost of a set of Spitfires+ bones reds at the time) but also came out on Blu ray which had all the features etc. All videos were pretty expensive here tho.

Maybe when you single it out it's not so great anymore (altho I just watched it and thinks it's fine) but something to take into account is how it came out at the same time as static 3, inhabitants, nothing but the truth (also 07 had the most DVD releases) so it was good to have videos that all felt pretty different

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 01:30:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Pops part! And Olson’s

this

Mangust

• Rep: -2
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2024, 01:43:20 PM »
Part is good but I feel there's lots of filler tricks in there and in addition to that you can see that he was drunk during many tricks by the way he is swaying and holding his hands while landing. But yeah maybe two songs would have been enough.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2024, 03:00:18 PM »
quick rebound for those coming here and leaving upset

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2024, 03:30:11 PM »
No reason to repost this other than the fact that I haven't watched it in a long time and there's something nice about rewatching the magnum opus part from one of the greatest of all time. So many head scratchers.

I always loved the 5-0 back 180 to sw nosegrind at 11:01

c-dock

• Rep: 10
  • Lurker
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2024, 04:25:11 PM »
Despite there being a decent amount of throwaway (who decided to add the cannonball grab in the first section??) it's still impressive that he filmed so many solid tech clips while absolutely shitfaced

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2024, 05:58:59 PM »
Has the Arto Sorry thing of final trick not really paying off the part that came before it.   Not sure if MJ was going for something else, but it is known Arto couldn’t get the sw bs flip that would have definitely deserved to be the closer

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2024, 09:31:01 AM »
Has the Arto Sorry thing of final trick not really paying off the part that came before it.   Not sure if MJ was going for something else, but it is known Arto couldn’t get the sw bs flip that would have definitely deserved to be the closer

The Switch flip was a perfect ender.  It makes the part feel so complete like I just finished a book.  I get that sometimes a part will end with a “that’s it?” type of ender, but Arto’s is completely satisfying

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 64
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2024, 01:56:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Switch flip was a perfect ender.  It makes the part feel so complete like I just finished a book.  I get that sometimes a part will end with a “that’s it?” type of ender, but Arto’s is completely satisfying

Yeah totally agree on the switch flip; always thought it being non slow-mo and no replay was a great choice. Made me “Hold on! Rewind that”.

Also this talk of the Fully Flared DVD price got me thinking. They really did take the piss at times with video prices.
Yeah Right VHS was £30 on release here in the uk. And DVDs existed at the time. They were obviously going to release a dvd later, which they did.
I ended up importing the DVD release- think it was some German shop selling on Amazon-  ended up being the one with the slightly different soundtrack.

Massivebellend

• Rep: -11
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 03:50:46 PM »
Pretty Sweet part is so much better, FF part lacks taste

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2024, 04:00:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah totally agree on the switch flip; always thought it being non slow-mo and no replay was a great choice. Made me “Hold on! Rewind that”.

Also this talk of the Fully Flared DVD price got me thinking. They really did take the piss at times with video prices.
Yeah Right VHS was £30 on release here in the uk. And DVDs existed at the time. They were obviously going to release a dvd later, which they did.
I ended up importing the DVD release- think it was some German shop selling on Amazon-  ended up being the one with the slightly different soundtrack.

True - but all of Sorry is intentionally no slo-mo, no second angle.     If they didn’t put the attempts in the credits, I think I would have been fine

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2024, 04:17:30 PM »
Not to be that guy, but the switch bs flip attempt wasn’t in the credits, it was the smoking monkey only.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1603
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2024, 04:33:55 PM »
Not to be that guy, but the switch bs flip attempt wasn’t in the credits, it was the smoking monkey only.

So who's sorry now?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

halvadzic armin

• Rep: -27
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2024, 04:55:45 PM »
When I watch videos from the '' golden era '' off skateboarding,I get a feeling that filmers were better at filming. They use such interesting long lens shots,something you don't see today. With fisheye,they do just enough to make it interesting but they are not trying to do a trick with the fisheye as a lot of filmers try to do today. From start to finnish is so incredibly well put together.