Author Topic: Death  (Read 4595 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Death
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »
have to agree with sweets here, i think being aethist has it's difficulties too and it all really boils down to the natural fear that most people have of death

i guess i also qualify as an agnostic and maybe more so as an optomistic agnostic. i hope there is something more to life than what you get while you are alive. reincarnation, anything would be nice

can some diety please throw me a bone here...

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 11:35:03 AM »
I don't think atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive... I mean, I can't conclusively say that there's cosmic being out there, I just haven't seen any evidence to lead me to believe that there is one. So I'm agnostic in the sense that I don't know, but an atheist in the sense that I don't believe in any of the gods that have been put forth.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2007, 11:38:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like living, too. Everyone does (even severely depressed people)
[close]

You know NOTHING about depression.

As for death with nothing afterwards being depressing, I disagree. I think it is depressing for the mourners, but if when you die the lights just go out, then you don't even have the ability to be sad about your own death.

Like David Cross said "donate my body to some necrophiliacs so atleast they can get some use out of it."
[close]

You are very mistaken. I know TOO much about depression. For the sake of backing up my opinion, I've been diagnosed as having "double depression w/ panic". Look it up and think about how well you actually know anybody posting here.  How do you know the lights just go out? You been there?
You know something about it apparently, but not about severe depresssion. You know the kind where all you can think about is how much you hate yourself and want to die? Where you are overcome with guilt about feeling that way, but still can't shake it. The kind where death is inviting. It exists, and just because you didn't have it doesn't mean that you have all encompassing knowledge of it. I know about hating life. If it weren't for the way the joy of skating kept my head above water I'd be dead. Thats why I think about it, about the lights going out, eternal rest, and have the perspective of thinking that it would be rediculous to want to keep going forever.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2007, 11:48:12 AM »
I don't think atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive... I mean, I can't conclusively say that there's cosmic being out there, I just haven't seen any evidence to lead me to believe that there is one. So I'm agnostic in the sense that I don't know, but an atheist in the sense that I don't believe in any of the gods that have been put forth.

right there with you, don't think any religions have it pegged yet but still hopeful that there is something out there

the one thing all religions have in common is morality of one sort or another. i believe that morals would have to be independent of a deity to actually be pious, if your only doing things because you will be tortured and not because they actually are pious, then that not exactly, well... pious. in believing that they are independent, i strive for the morals instead of the divinity in a hope to circumvent the whole selection of the wrong religion problem and instead just focus on living right and hoping that any Deity out there, would not be someone who tortures based on subscriptive beliefs but more on how you actually live your life. which if morality is actually independent of the deity, then it would most likely pan out that way. seems like it would be really hard to make a subscription over actions argument to me...

problem is when you have children and their grand mother or dog dies, what do you tell them?

i also believe it is immoral to raise your kids in your faith as most religions offer an out for ignorance and why would you possibly take your child out of that safety net and then put them in danger of torture for your possible bad choice? seems irresponsible on a level that i think could be argued as being immoral.

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2007, 11:58:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

As for death with nothing afterwards being depressing, I disagree. I think it is depressing for the mourners, but if when you die the lights just go out, then you don't even have the ability to be sad about your own death.

Like David Cross said "donate my body to some necrophiliacs so atleast they can get some use out of it."
[close]

You are very mistaken. I know TOO much about depression. For the sake of backing up my opinion, I've been diagnosed as having "double depression w/ panic". Look it up and think about how well you actually know anybody posting here.  How do you know the lights just go out? You been there?
[close]
You know something about it apparently, but not about severe depresssion. You know the kind where all you can think about is how much you hate yourself and want to die? Where you are overcome with guilt about feeling that way, but still can't shake it. The kind where death is inviting. It exists, and just because you didn't have it doesn't mean that you have all encompassing knowledge of it. I know about hating life. If it weren't for the way the joy of skating kept my head above water I'd be dead. Thats why I think about it, about the lights going out, eternal rest, and have the perspective of thinking that it would be rediculous to want to keep going forever.

Did you look it up? Double Depression is having chronic or clinical depression and situational depression. Panic has already been discussed extensively, so I'll pass the description. Basically, my mood is always pretty down (which I compensate for by trying extremely hard to be positive) and when some situation comes along like a break-up or even car trouble (where anyone would get bummed) it tumbles into a month of barely being able to get out of bed. That's pretty severe.. I've wrote the note, I've had the plan ready...

Even at my worst low, I've had the will to live, even amidst the wanting to escape the pain. I know it's not an easy thing to grasp but I think we all have an animalistic will to survive. There have been studies proving this, but I recommend staying away from Wikipedia for any info. Any jackass can post there.

Sorry, if this came off sounding condescending, it's not my intent.
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

sweets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2007, 12:02:52 PM »

I'm right there with you, I just see this as agnosticism. Atheism has always been presented to me as absolute non-belief in any sort of deity.
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

obeygiant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2007, 12:10:45 PM »
its not that hard ... do you remember the fucking billions and billions of years before you were alive ... no its nothing .. just like after you die its just nothing ... eternal sleep .. kinda depressing but yeah thats my opinion ... your just an organism .. your no different from an ant .. its just that we evolved

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2007, 12:11:01 PM »
Atheism has always been presented to me as absolute non-belief in any sort of deity.
I wouldn't say that atheism is absolute, it's just relative to the proof presented to an atheist that there is a god.

I mean, I don't have any belief in the Christian god at all, but if he were to appear in front of me and do a bunch of magical things that there was absolutely no logical/natural explanation for, I might reconsider.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2007, 12:12:24 PM »
its not that hard ... do you remember the fucking billions and billions of years before you were alive ... no its nothing .. just like after you die its just nothing ... eternal sleep .. kinda depressing but yeah thats my opinion ... your just an organism .. your no different from an ant .. its just that we evolved

i wouldn't be suprised if that was true and sure after your gone then it is no big deal because from your prespective, nothing exists.

still sucks to be dying though...

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2007, 12:23:36 PM »
I don't even see it as depressing... kind of the opposite really. For me, no belief in an afterlife makes me appreciate the little moment in time I  get to enjoy. It makes me focus more on today, rather than worry about what I have to do or don't do to get to some otherworldly place.

One other thing about theism... I think it's hard for people to realize how insignificant we are. Like, I never understood how Christians could claim to be humble, when in the end, they believe that the creator of the entire universe gives a shit about when they have sex or whether or not they shave their legs. It seems kind of arrogant to think that this omnipotent god would create an entire universe (most of which his human creation would never get to visit) while placing humans on a special pedestal.

For me, I don't want to die because I really enjoy living. Beyond that, I know my day will come, and after I've decayed, I'll be a speck of the ingredients that comprise the earth, which will one day be consumed by the sun when it goes red giant, which will eventually become a white dwarf, which will eventually go out, and I'll be a patch of mass included in either a cosmic crunch or universal blackout once everything's gas runs out. As corny as it sounds, I like to think that I'll be eternal as long as there's matter, but I don't associate any poetic license to it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2007, 01:12:53 PM »
will everything really gas out? seems to me that if all the energy could be converted to mass we would be right back to big bang all over again as all the mass would be attracted to each other and once enough pressure built up, boom

but i get your point, that's the same worst case that i comfort myself with. but being a newly wed on the cusp of taking the fatherhood step makes me really bumbed about me or anyone i know dying and somehow i don't think i would find to much comfort in anything when it came time to deal with someone close to me dying or my own death. i will most likely go out like a bitch, if i die alone and have no idea how i would deal with the death of wife, child, mother, etc...

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 02:40:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Did you look it up? Double Depression is having chronic or clinical depression and situational depression. Panic has already been discussed extensively, so I'll pass the description. Basically, my mood is always pretty down (which I compensate for by trying extremely hard to be positive) and when some situation comes along like a break-up or even car trouble (where anyone would get bummed) it tumbles into a month of barely being able to get out of bed. That's pretty severe.. I've wrote the note, I've had the plan ready...

Even at my worst low, I've had the will to live, even amidst the wanting to escape the pain. I know it's not an easy thing to grasp but I think we all have an animalistic will to survive. There have been studies proving this, but I recommend staying away from Wikipedia for any info. Any jackass can post there.

Not condescending. When you are depressed you feel like nobody understands what you are going through, or what is going on in your mind. The shit you were saying sounds a lot like shit that happens with me. I guess my point is that people do commit suicide as a result of depression. Its not automatic, but yeah, I believe some people actually do give up the will to live.

AS for this categorization of aetheism vs. agnosticism. If somebody doesn't believe in God they just don't. Why the fuck do people catergorize it? It seems like its mostly the heavily religious who do this because they can't understand people not believing the hype, and as weak minded people like this did with God, they created something to make themselves feel better about it.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

sleeping.

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2007, 04:08:30 PM »

that scares me because it might be true. why are humans entitled to an afterlife where as animals or any other living thing isnt. and maybe hell would be better than just simply not existing. no one could even comphrehend what non existing would be like. could you even think, feel, smell? if you couldnt do anything it would just be like sleeping right? then billions upon billions upon billions of years would pass and you would just be being there non exsistant? it doesnt make sense at all.

its kinda weird to think what your friends or family who have died are doing right now..

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2007, 04:21:16 PM »
when you die, you're sent to the graveyard where the spirit healer can restore you but with the cost of 25% damage to your armor and 10 minutes of resurrection sickness.  you could corpse walk but fuck all that walking only to get ganked by the same rogue in stealth.  that's why it's helpful to keep a soul stone on you, or bring along a shaman, pally, priest, or druid.

Mentos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2007, 04:25:11 PM »
when you die, you're sent to the graveyard where the spirit healer can restore you but with the cost of 25% damage to your armor and 10 minutes of resurrection sickness.  you could corpse walk but fuck all that walking only to get ganked by the same rogue in stealth.  that's why it's helpful to keep a soul stone on you, or bring along a shaman, pally, priest, or druid.

*Casts phoenix down on Squall from Final Fantasy 8. Recovers 300 HP*

sweets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2007, 05:22:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Not condescending. When you are depressed you feel like nobody understands what you are going through, or what is going on in your mind. The shit you were saying sounds a lot like shit that happens with me. I guess my point is that people do commit suicide as a result of depression. Its not automatic, but yeah, I believe some people actually do give up the will to live.

AS for this categorization of aetheism vs. agnosticism. If somebody doesn't believe in God they just don't. Why the fuck do people catergorize it? It seems like its mostly the heavily religious who do this because they can't understand people not believing the hype, and as weak minded people like this did with God, they created something to make themselves feel better about it.

Now we're om the same page, Homie (Grim, too). We (most humans) do tend to categorize everything (music, skaters, etc.). I think  it's an attempt to understand that which we don't. As a (self) educated person, I strive to understand things in a logical and informed manner. What separates us from the rest of the food chain is a highly developed cognitive thinking. To keep with the thread subject, my cognitive reasoning has lead me to not believe there is an after life but I don't discount the possibility. We have only learned so much about the our brains and the Universe. The possibilities are more endless than not.

I've had to deal with death too close at too young an age. The best option is to live by the golden rule (which some studies say is a natural part of our instinctual desire to perpetuate the species) and savor every fucking beautiful moment.

dem hoes squawkin levitra

• Rep: 40
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2007, 06:34:14 PM »
i think when we die, we finally get to comprehend all the gruesome/wonderful shit. it's inevitable, we're born, we're dying. in between is a lovely indecision.

i just hate how everyone mourns. they haven't an idea what's the next step, stop being selfish and lead the dead on their way.
but, please no funerals but rather one last celebration of the person. returning to the roots? the beginning? death is blessed.

hamhead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -8
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »
fuck. dying must suck. I hope i re-incarnate as a new human for iternity.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2007, 07:56:21 PM »
that scares me because it might be true. why are humans entitled to an afterlife where as animals or any other living thing isnt.

yah its bums me out when someone says doggy heaven cause i would way rather go to dog heaven and chill with a bunch of dogs then have to talk to dick snakes up in human heaven

your no different from an ant .. its just that we evolved

ants have evolved too
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

sleeping.

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2007, 08:01:26 PM »
so are you suggesting an ant heaven.

skatemore,man

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2007, 08:07:30 PM »
I'm a pretty morbid guy now that i've given some thought to this topic of death (i'm now thinking of morbidity in the terms of being directed toward life i suppose). While i enjoy living and wake up every daywith a concious thought concerning that i'm alive and life is good even if only because of that. An afterlife of sorts doesn't really seem to tie in with my perception of "death," which is why i aim to enjoy everyday as much as possible-simply put, why miss out now, 'cause never again will something exist (for myself and the rest of us as a collaborative livestock) that is like today. This vast expanse of nothing could be quite frightening, maybe if i was insane i'd run from it.

Events have occured in my life where the odds of  departure from this state of being dropped in my favor despite leaning heavily in the opposite direction. Voiding a sense of divine intervention, i just live with the fact that i'm not going to die yet-maybe tommorow, but not right now, so i don't have a nerve to think too much in that direction.

If our concious thought process, imagination, drive for human life, whatever, IS a just a chemical reaction occuring within the brain, it's great that humans have as a species developed means to direct, even CREATE the action through compassion, art, empathy, touch, music, language, love.

FuckNameLock

• Rep: 3
  • OG Bdotkilla za Thrilla
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2007, 08:09:23 PM »
ill worry about this sheez while im dead

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2007, 08:15:43 PM »
yah i tend to not look into it because no matter how hard people try the wikipedia article can always turn out to be a lie
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

akimpy0b

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2007, 08:45:44 PM »
i always thought it would be tight that when you die you wake up in a movie theater and watch your whole life from start to finish...definatley not a possibility but it seems like it would be cool.

kevbo999

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2007, 08:58:28 PM »
i always thought it would be tight that when you die you wake up in a movie theater and watch your whole life from start to finish...definatley not a possibility but it seems like it would be cool.

Coolest idea I've ever heard.

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2007, 11:46:43 PM »
word

Blaise

• Rep: 0
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2007, 01:49:37 AM »
One other thing about theism... I think it's hard for people to realize how insignificant we are. Like, I never understood how Christians could claim to be humble, when in the end, they believe that the creator of the entire universe gives a shit about when they have sex or whether or not they shave their legs. It seems kind of arrogant to think that this omnipotent god would create an entire universe (most of which his human creation would never get to visit) while placing humans on a special pedestal.

When you say humans are insignificant, are you just referring to their relative size?  Because I don't think it's necessarily a given that size = significance.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • RIP
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2007, 01:54:54 AM »
RIP Charlie Pace

"You All Everybody" indeed.

tonycoxhox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
    • journal blog. avatar image
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2007, 02:03:58 AM »

that would simply be disgusting
"we were going digital, ignoring all but the most core matter from history and focusing on the most complicated structures in order to make our lives more simple, but we could not escape from the cage, the past, and "reality" so we surrendered to short term drug euphoria." - John Albertson (on LSD)

sleeping.

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2007, 02:08:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that would simply be disgusting

and long.