Skateboarding > Skate Questions

ACL injury and shit

(1/2) > >>

switchfrontshuv:
does anyone have experience skating through ACL injury i have full degree of motion but knee feels unstable and i can still skate properly just carefully

i do a lot of squats, climb 12 flights of stairs a day, work out every muscle group i can in my legs, try to run every other day for a while, try to walk backwards up the stairs when i can, lost 20 odd pounds, etc. yada yada yada

dont tell me to get surgery, im in school right now and ill be able to pay for it after when i start working, i want the best surgery possible maybe BEAR implant

anyone have any success stories? dont rly care if i fuck my knee cuz with the job im aiming to get inshallah ill be able to get the best work done on my shit

switchfrontshuv:

--- Quote from: switchfrontshuv on April 10, 2024, 09:29:20 AM ---does anyone have experience skating through ACL injury with a brace i have full degree of motion but knee feels unstable and i can still skate properly just carefully

i do a lot of squats, climb 12 flights of stairs a day, work out every muscle group i can in my legs, try to run every other day for a while, try to walk backwards up the stairs when i can, lost 20 odd pounds, etc. yada yada yada

dont tell me to get surgery, im in school right now and ill be able to pay for it after when i start working, i want the best surgery possible maybe BEAR implant

anyone have any success stories? dont rly care if i fuck my knee cuz with the job im aiming to get inshallah ill be able to get the best work done on my shit

--- End quote ---

cucktard:
Go to the gym and build muscle around the knee.
I fucking hate the gym, but I was in a similar similar situation 25 years ago, and I got away without surgery for years by building up muscle. It works.

Find a physio or check YouTube for some tutorials on what you need to target and how.

And I will take my own advice again, because I just found out that after 20 years, my replacement ACL had disintegrated, and I’m back in physio.

beaufasho:
I have a complete ACL reconstruction at 17 years old and again at 25. This left me with a very arthritic knee with bone spurs that I work on every day. I did always work out but I pushed through injuries and eventually had the worst mobility and flexibility eventually combining with with poor eating and partying habits.

Basically what I am doing that is working and allowing me to skate every day at age 35 is developing all the small muscles and stretching the ankles, knees, and hips daily. Can't emphasize stretching enough to build that connection to your lower body. Following "KneesOverToesGuy" on YouTube is super helpful. Content is free and after watching all the videos you can get a good idea of your weak areas and where to improve. Skateboard strength on Instagram has also been helpful even though I don't watch as much content there.

A daily routine that is working for me right now is - 20 mins on the stationary bike to get the blood flowing, walking backward intentionally for about 5-10 minutes, and doing yoga poses/stretching for at least 10-15 minutes daily. I do the bike and a little gym in the morning and then at night while watching things I can take care of all the stretching. Working out super hard is great but if you don't have the full range of motion in your joints that will eventually turn into a weak point. Hopefully, this is helpful.

Pastasash:
I'm in the same boat as you, 30yo and twisted/tore my patella on Go Skate Day 2023. Took like 5-6 weeks off and felt my range of motion get back and started skating again but any sort of slight tweak or rotational tricks sent the pain back in the knee/inner knee where the twist was. Ignored those obvious red flags and still kept skating and not doing too much weight lifting or plyos like I should've been to help strengthen and condition it to handle impact. After a month and a half of skating through pain, I finally re-injured it full on again missing a nose grind on a small ledge.

Took a month off, got serious with weight lifting and plyos, thought I was good again with and then fell and re-injured it AGAIN from missing a back crook on a ledge. From there I finally had enough and took about 4 months basically without skating (did some flatground here and there but didn't feel ready to come back).

Now I've been back to skating 2 weeks now and I'm scared to commit to almost all my flatground tricks and only landing 1 or 2 flip tricks in a hour long session, and I'm too scared to touch a ledge even though that's my favorite thing to skate, or any real obstacle from fear of even the slightest fall sending me back to square one.

My knee and surrounding muscles are definitely stronger since I started taking those strength training exercises that Skateboard Strength recommends, but so far the lack of confidence and the bit of lingering unstable feeling in my knee have made return to skating so difficult. I'm 10 months removed from the initial injury but I'm hoping that with only skating flatground, continuing my strength training, listening to my body, and being super patient that I will be back to 100% by summer or fall time.

But if I reinjur it again I may finally need to see a physio and get some scans to see if I may need surgery after all- I'm really hoping it does not come to that.

Best of luck on your recovery! Get serious about strength training and doing plyometrics and be patient/smart when you're out there skating! Hope we all stay strong and healthy on the board for years to come.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version