Author Topic: Frontside Flips  (Read 404 times)

CarcassToss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
Frontside Flips
« on: April 11, 2024, 07:57:53 AM »
I can't get these for the life of me. What happens is I tend to flock fairly hard and it sends the nose down hard so I end in a switch tail drag. I've tried different pocket positions and found that if it's too heelside I do the Muska flips and too toe side it really slams the nose down. Anyone have any general advice?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Frontside Flips
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 12:09:53 PM »
I can't get these for the life of me. What happens is I tend to flock fairly hard and it sends the nose down hard so I end in a switch tail drag. I've tried different pocket positions and found that if it's too heelside I do the Muska flips and too toe side it really slams the nose down. Anyone have any general advice?

i cannot do these. i’ve had a few days, were it seemed as though i could not miss, and then they just disappeared. i take the board underneath my front leg kneecap. it’s great.
sometimes i can do these really shitty switch ones, where i mob/pedal push the ‘flick’, and then do this bad mario ass looking jump after the board.
i’ll be so stoked if someone shines the light on these

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 03:53:29 PM »
also can’t do them but desperately trying to.

backside flips feel so intuitive and natural for me but I can’t seem to get anywhere with these. I’ve broken more boards trying them than anything else (not cause I focused, I just tend to land a certain way that breaks by the front truck).

my approach is:

• Be on my toes
  • front foot very angled and back foot squared on edge of tail
  • im goofy so if nose is 12 o clock I flick at 3 (versus a KF or backside flip where it might be 12 or 1)
  • while flicking to 3 o clock bring my back foot forward
  • it’s just Hail Mary at this point. sometimes I land on and come to a complete stop, sometimes it muskas, and other times it’s not even close

being on your toes and flicking to 3 o clock seem to be key for me. I struggle with bringing the back leg around.

Backside flips to me I feel like I’m kick flipping and then catch and turn. It all feels controlled for me. this same approach just doesn’t work for me trying frontside flips, even the ones I land feel like I’ll never have the control to do it up or down anything

fergus

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 09:40:59 PM »
Quite lame but there's a Ben DeGros trick tip that helped me learn them.

The main thing that helped me was focusing on flicking hard rather than popping so much and landing on the nose and pivoting around. Once you get the technique you can clean them up and focus on the full rotation.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 04:51:35 AM »
ive watched that video a few times and to be honest ben has pretty gross style.  he also comes across really smug and arrogant in his drywalling videos

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 07:32:47 AM »
ive watched that video a few times and to be honest ben has pretty gross style.  he also comes across really smug and arrogant in his drywalling videos
Well his name is Ben DeGross for a reason.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 08:51:39 AM »
I used to have some pretty decent FS flips on banks and transition. (Never on Flat...) Oh how I miss them. Maybe I should try. Such a great feeling/ looking trick.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 09:00:26 AM »
I used to have some pretty decent FS flips on banks and transition. (Never on Flat...) Oh how I miss them. Maybe I should try. Such a great feeling/ looking trick.

Same, could never get them over obstacles, they always reminded me of how I do kickflip noseslides...

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 11:43:19 PM »
i'm a natural bs flipper and what helped me a lot at first with fs flips was to put my front foot at an angle, like when you ollie you keep your front foot parallel with the board, when you kickflip you have it at a (approximately) 20 degree angle, for the fs flip i recommend something between 45 and 90, depending on how it feels to you. that made it so much easier to start the frontside 180 since the shoe doesn't grab as much that way and you flick the board that direction. aim to land your front foot in the nose pocket but as close to the bolts as possible and don't be scared to start out doing pivots, i learned them essentially as a kickflip nosemanual revert on flatground and now i can do decent ones, like i frontside flipped a garbage can standing up off a bump. the full pivot ones look gross but look at them as a stepping stone, the whole trick will start feeling more natural and looking better with time.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate