Author Topic: basic tricks you can't do  (Read 4103 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
basic tricks you can't do
« on: April 16, 2024, 11:08:08 PM »
all of us pals here have CLEARLY put in the 10,000 hours necessary for getting good at something (specifically in this instance, sk8boarding,) but even with those 10,000 hours, what are some basic tricks you've never done?

I've never done a proper backside 360. I recently saw a bubba jackson youtube short teaching backside 3's, and his tip was to focus on landing on your tail, which is how I used to do back 3's when I pivoted them! so truck you, Bubba! that tip don't fly!

can you full cab flip but not backside 3? have you ever roastbeef'd but never melon'd? what's a pivot to fakie if you can't even frontside grind?

lay it on meh...

Southernmost

• Rep: 117
Re: basic tricks you can't do
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 11:19:35 PM »
I suck at kickflips. I can do them but not that well. My buddy makes fun of how shit mine are but somehow I can do decent double flips in games of skate so there’s that. Back 3’s are nearly impossible, a legit one at least. Cabs are hard too.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 11:30:00 PM »
fs board, feeble grinds, backtail, varial heel and hard flips. Wouldn't call all of them basics, but compared to some stuff I did they sure are. I did every single one of them but no speed, no pop, no slide, worst form ever, tictacs and fear of even trying.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 11:48:35 PM »
i wish i could back tail and back smith and back lip

of those 3 tricks i only ever did a back tail but normally i can't even get my tail on the ledge, i puss out every time. for the other 2 i don't even know how to move my body to make them work
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 45
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 12:16:11 AM »
Front crook.

Also, I've done some switch front 3s but never a regular one.

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -32
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 12:21:23 AM »
Back fucking feebles

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 12:28:22 AM »
i am CAPABLE of these tricks and have done them all plenty of times - but it's kind of bizarre how unable i am to do them 90% of the time - half cab kickflips, regular varial heels and regular hardflips.

it's weird when you are a capable skater, understand what's going wrong with trick and still can't make the adjustments.

the strangest part is that i can remember doing halfcab flips easily when i was like 11/12 years old.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 12:38:59 AM »
Tre
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 12:47:37 AM »
i wish i could back tail and back smith and back lip

of those 3 tricks i only ever did a back tail but normally i can't even get my tail on the ledge, i puss out every time. for the other 2 i don't even know how to move my body to make them work

@roba - every one of those tricks is all shoulders and all hips. keep your shoulders parallel with the rail/ ledge but turn your hips perpendicular to the obstacle, even if you aren't turning you hips all the way. pop -> hips - > shoulders.

dip your hips into the obstacle and push the grind/ slide through your pelvis, and your shoulders will naturally follow that motion until they're in the same orientation as your hips... I know that sounds fucked up but once you do it, it will make sense.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 01:00:45 AM by fineslime »

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 12:57:58 AM »
Back fucking feebles

@BootsWithTheFerg - can you back 50-50 a flat bar? a feeble is a crooked backside 50-50 but with your foot pointed at the toes and all the weight in your back foot, locked in heelside on your back truck. total backseat driver, completely crooked... point your front foot like you're doing a dance move. picture a ninja kickflip - "WHAPAH!" - thats what you want your front foot to look like on the top of your board while you're locked into the feeble grind. sit in the back seat on your heel, lock it in sideways, and pose it out.

ollie into your back foot over the back truck while your front foot is doing a karate move - totally pointed.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 01:08:50 AM »
tre flips

Have worked on them several times over the years, got close occasionally, but never actually landed one.

Trilogy

• Rep: -267
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 01:34:15 AM »
I seriously never understood no-complys, I cant do it and my brain dont understands how that trick works.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 01:55:08 AM »
not a basic trick but I have tried a billion fs flips and never made one

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 02:09:55 AM »
Lost heelflips years ago and never got them back

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 02:12:54 AM »
Fucking smith grinds on ledges. One day they work, 20 other days they wont. I have given up on them.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2024, 02:14:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Back fucking feebles
[close]

@BootsWithTheFerg - can you back 50-50 a flat bar? a feeble is a crooked backside 50-50 but with your foot pointed at the toes and all the weight in your back foot, locked in heelside on your back truck. total backseat driver, completely crooked... point your front foot like you're doing a dance move. picture a ninja kickflip - "WHAPAH!" - thats what you want your front foot to look like on the top of your board while you're locked into the feeble grind. sit in the back seat on your heel, lock it in sideways, and pose it out.

ollie into your back foot over the back truck while your front foot is doing a karate move - totally pointed.

that sounds like a good explanation, will try on my local mini. would love to learn that on transition and I don't skate flat bars anyway!!

anyways, I have the same weakness as skatebeard and easy slider: 360 flips. Never landed one in close to 30 years of skating. Granted I stopped trying a long long time ago....  :-X

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2024, 02:15:29 AM »
Anything but ollie

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 02:28:45 AM »
My front 180 Ollies always have/ always be terrible 😢 I can’t seem to do good one foots anymore these days …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2024, 02:33:05 AM »
Fucking smith grinds on ledges. One day they work, 20 other days they wont. I have given up on them.

It took me forever to figure those out but they just kinda clicked one day.
 Lean back, angle your body away from the ledge. Make sure your legs aren't straight when you lock in.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2024, 02:35:07 AM »
 I'm ridiculously bad at balancing regular manuals. Anybody with size 12+ feet have the secret?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2024, 03:03:53 AM »
I'm ridiculously bad at balancing regular manuals. Anybody with size 12+ feet have the secret?
Ride indys? Put your head over your back foot.

For me:
front 180 to fakie Manny is way more trouble than it's worth. Frontside nollie 180 to fakie Manny is bullshit too. But being bad at that one also means I'm bad at nollie cab.

Pivot fakie/5-0 grind fakie the smooth way everyone does them

Nice regular frontside flips and hardflips basically don't work for me. Has to be Muska or mob with revert.

Crooked pop out in the middle.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 03:10:21 AM »
I can't sw back 180 or nollie front 180 to save my life. Sw frontside and nollie backside work great though

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2024, 03:16:07 AM »
My complete trick library is heelflip, inward heel, Willy, front board. So just about everything
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Notyourmom

• Rep: 6
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2024, 03:17:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It took me forever to figure those out but they just kinda clicked one day.
 Lean back, angle your body away from the ledge. Make sure your legs aren't straight when you lock in.

For me the key is to not get in from on top instead sliding the truck on till your heel side wheel locks against the ledge. And sit on your back truck completely. Front foot is just hovering above/on the board. Same works for bs smith

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2024, 03:19:38 AM »
I can’t kickflip and also I learnt heelflips before ollies. Being capable of doing heelflips made me forget kickflips. And the biggest reason I didn’t learn or practice kickflips is because I injured my flick foot so my ankle can’t do the flick movement without feeling pain. I want to do them tho.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2024, 05:05:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ride indys? Put your head over your back foot.

For me:
front 180 to fakie Manny is way more trouble than it's worth. Frontside nollie 180 to fakie Manny is bullshit too. But being bad at that one also means I'm bad at nollie cab.

Pivot fakie/5-0 grind fakie the smooth way everyone does them

Nice regular frontside flips and hardflips basically don't work for me. Has to be Muska or mob with revert.

Crooked pop out in the middle.

i learned popping out in the middle first for some reason, it was much easier for me, but i later learned them both ways. if you can fs 180 out of a crooked grind then you can pop out straight in the middle but it will take a few adjustments. you want to start the 180 out, and as soon as the wheel pops off the ledge and you start falling into a noseslide you move away from the ledge like you would to exit a noseslide. with practice you are going to do that quicker and quicker and eventually it will turn into a legit pop out.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 05:53:08 AM by roba »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2024, 05:20:10 AM »

6'4 with 12 shoes, I have to ollie a little higher than necessary for the pad, fully flatten out the ollie then bring the tail back down in to manual position on the way down. I think it centers my weight better. May work for others?

I'm fucking horrible at fakie anything.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2024, 05:20:59 AM »
I can't sw back 180 or nollie front 180 to save my life. Sw frontside and nollie backside work great though

Although I can do them, nobody should ever see those atrocities. Those two 180s never made sense to me.

And also 360 flips. Had them fakie for a few years and lost them after a lot of ankle troubles.
IG: @flowterspace

Toenail628

• Rep: 0
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2024, 06:07:23 AM »
Any variation of nollie or switch heels

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298