Author Topic: basic tricks you can't do  (Read 4115 times)

kook1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
Re: basic tricks you can't do
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2024, 07:03:52 AM »
not a basic trick but I have tried a billion fs flips and never made one

join the club https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=129981

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2024, 07:10:02 AM »
Nollie/switch flips.
Done a few nollie/switch heels but the flips I used to just donkey kick, now I’m getting used to flicking, even if I don’t flip it all the way I’m trying to get used to that motion, it just doesn’t work for me.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2024, 07:10:45 AM »
Expand Quote
i wish i could back tail and back smith and back lip

of those 3 tricks i only ever did a back tail but normally i can't even get my tail on the ledge, i puss out every time. for the other 2 i don't even know how to move my body to make them work
[close]

@roba - every one of those tricks is all shoulders and all hips. keep your shoulders parallel with the rail/ ledge but turn your hips perpendicular to the obstacle, even if you aren't turning you hips all the way. pop -> hips - > shoulders.

dip your hips into the obstacle and push the grind/ slide through your pelvis, and your shoulders will naturally follow that motion until they're in the same orientation as your hips... I know that sounds fucked up but once you do it, it will make sense.

In your experience, how much truth is there to going in at an angle instead of riding parallel on a backside tail slide?

@1:30

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 788
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2024, 07:15:19 AM »
There's lots of basics I can't do. Some I have done in the past and had for years at a time. Some came and go.

Anyway, one basic I never had is nose manuals. I can nose wheelie for days but just can't ollie and land in a nose manny. Frustrating as hell as I know if I can get into one I could go the distance... Same with nose grinds...

justpassingthrough

• Rep: 14
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2024, 07:19:18 AM »
all of us pals here have CLEARLY put in the 10,000 hours necessary for getting good at something (specifically in this instance, sk8boarding,) but even with those 10,000 hours, what are some basic tricks you've never done?

I've never done a proper backside 360. I recently saw a bubba jackson youtube short teaching backside 3's, and his tip was to focus on landing on your tail, which is how I used to do back 3's when I pivoted them! so truck you, Bubba! that tip don't fly!

can you full cab flip but not backside 3? have you ever roastbeef'd but never melon'd? what's a pivot to fakie if you can't even frontside grind?

lay it on meh...
  I wouldn't consider a backside 360 Ollie, at least done properly, a basic trick whatsoever.

wahwahwah

• Rep: -3
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2024, 07:27:50 AM »
fuck regular heelflips
Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2024, 07:40:50 AM »
Flip tricks besides kickflips- I am so bad at flip tricks
Terrible at any manual besides regular ones
Bs tails

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2024, 07:57:45 AM »
axel stalls, like I can "Do" them, but they are so so shit, I don't really claim them.

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 53
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2024, 08:39:16 AM »
Any manual trick is out of the question for me, basic ledge tricks have become painful to try thanks to hip issues, and fucking kickflips. All have become the bane of my existence.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 10
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2024, 08:57:17 AM »
I don´t know if it counts as basic, but can´t do frontside flip, laded just one in 24 years of skating and that was 90% luck.
Also have so much trouble doing regular  shove it and fs shove it, never land those and sw fs shove it is my go to trick in switch.

I have this friend who can´t ollie properly, like he suffer so do a ollie on flat and neither can do kickflips. But his sw flip, nollie frontside flip, nollie back hell are a thing of beauty
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 111
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2024, 09:02:22 AM »
fs shuv. got the other 7 shuvs down fine but the regular stance fs shuv has not been kind

TerryFunk

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2024, 09:03:23 AM »
Never been able to get a solid kickflip. Could always get the height and pop down but my front foot would never get back on the board. Can land heelflips..just no kickflip

I_Respect_Wood

• HH avatar image
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2024, 09:15:57 AM »
fs shuv. got the other 7 shuvs down fine but the regular stance fs shuv has not been kind

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

I_Respect_Wood

• HH avatar image
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2024, 09:18:52 AM »
Never been able to get a solid kickflip. Could always get the height and pop down but my front foot would never get back on the board. Can land heelflips..just no kickflip

Same here, mi flips are wack, I get the height and pop but the thing is my back foot, like it doesn´t float. I hate watching my flips filmed, like they start like a solid flip but when I catch em my back foot go down so fast that turn it like a rocket kickflip, sometimes my back truck lands first.

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2024, 09:28:17 AM »
Regular hardflips. Can do them switch and nollie.

Dad Board

• Rep: 76
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2024, 09:39:20 AM »
Back 5-0/tail. Can back nosegrind/5050 consistently but for some reason landing on the tail of my board backside just doesn’t compute. At what point do you just accept your shortcomings and move on? Every time I tell myself I’m gonna work on either of those two I end up getting frustrated after 10-20 min because it’s not clicking then I just move on.

Natas_Fauxas

• Rep: 95
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2024, 09:44:18 AM »
Back tails and regular frontside flips. The latter i can do switch easily tho i could never understand why.
🚨🚨ILLEGAL!!!! 👇👇👇🚨🚨

jerry_boo

• Rep: -1
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2024, 10:13:36 AM »
I fucking suck but I suck the most at flip tricks, no complies, switch / nollie, big transition and manuals.

I also suck at BS Boardslides, front board is like my go to trick but I can only slide a couple inches backside and for some reason my body always wants to come out fakie.

So yeah pretty much everything.

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2024, 10:32:16 AM »
One thing I’ve never learned is how to tumble forward and roll out of a fall.
Also kickflips.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2024, 10:34:16 AM »
Hardflips all stances.
I've got a couple in my life mostly fakie. That and the switch one are two of the most valuable tricks in the game imo. I feel like a high popped fakie hard is an incredibly strong art statement that no one can deny.
Even if it's not clean we all know that's a fuckin GANGSTA rolling by us rn.

Nothing but full respect when that all eyes on me moment happens. The Lynch mob knows exactly which cat I'm talking about. That kid deserves a golden trashcan courtesy of the city of Boston.

I wish I knew the muthas name for he's a God amongst meer mortals.

Tre flips.
Idk what happened. I just got sick of um. Sick of seeing them. They felt too dangerous to really keep after 2020.
My last like cum yer pants good one was in 2017.

We was all walking to practice in Brighton. The Armpits (John O, my little bro Kevin and Nik the Sweet Ginger Beast) and my guys Drew and ummmm?... More homies. The Armpits (Boston grindcore) was gonna back me up at the DC for a foundation. Aural Butchery- ER$ last gig ever.

I was so happy. I might've dropped or smoked. Its all colours. And We was laughing and carrying on. When I threw down pushed twice E eye E ice. And BOOM TRE FLIP off a little sidewalk crack.
It was like I channeled my 21 year old self cuz the Shit was like thigh high. Popped and caught perfectly. Kalis would have blushed.
Everyone went dead silent for like 3 breaths. Then yelled DAMN!!!!! Drew said to me dude that was the best tre flip ever seen. He's from fuckin Tampa too. Total fuckin ripper.
I said thanks yo. I could feel it. It's because I'm more happier than I've been in years.
Excellent show. It went fuckin amazing. Small turn out but after just two practices those cats nailed my old set.

I've kept doing them but not so much since like 2021 22. I'm pretty sure the failure to switch tre has spoiled the mood.

I'm gonna go out front rn and do one for old time sake.

Everything other basic trick I named in the last thread like this is in the bag. I might not have the power I used to but my bag is like x10 from then.

It pays to do shit you don't think you got i swear. Get that switch tre before you too old to jump that high of you can.

I cannot. Definitely not on my own all by myself.  :-[
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 38
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2024, 11:16:56 AM »
Nollie or switch flips. Never have and probably never will
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2024, 11:24:16 AM »
A lot of these tricks mentioned don't seem basic to me, but maybe I'm from a different generation or something.

I never learned f/s 5050 grinds. I learned f/s slappies, but never tried to ollie into a f/s 5050. I mean I think I could, but it just never appealed to me for some reason even though it's the most basic grind there is. So of course, a lot of other frontside tricks were never in my trick bank. Maybe I'll finally learn them this year, though.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2024, 11:28:05 AM »
switch / nollie flips
inward heel

9inchdeck

• Rep: -18
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2024, 11:29:28 AM »
Fs tail stalls on transition. I’m pretty good at transition and got pretty much all the other basic transition tricks down but skipped over the fs tail. I never knew how people just whipped it around so fast. When I’d try it, it was always like I was doing a fs air and just slapping mt tail on the coping on the way in

Troubadour26

• Rep: 77
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2024, 11:33:12 AM »
feeble grinds & crooks, I’ve done both of them plenty of times in the past but I’m too much of a bitch to be able to do either consistently. I actually don’t think that I’ve ever crooked any sort of rail before. No back lip on a rail either. Summer goals I guess.

TonyBaloney

• Rep: -1
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2024, 11:46:47 AM »
One thing I’ve never learned is how to tumble forward and roll out of a fall.
Also kickflips.

Fucking same and I feel like this really hinders my progression as I’m always afraid of just fucking slamming like a piece of raw meat. I’ve tried watching YouTube videos on the subject but I still just tense up like crazy and usually land on my wrist, at 36 it def takes its toll. Also kickflips are one of those tricks I’ll have on lock one day and never land again for 6 months lol, also super frustrating.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2024, 11:56:43 AM »
i don't like you guys definition of basic tricks.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2024, 12:03:14 PM »
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here