Author Topic: basic tricks you can't do  (Read 4131 times)

drinkwaterjamie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: basic tricks you can't do
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2024, 04:50:59 AM »
I can't Nose Manual, every other manual I get but I've never been able to hold Nose Mannys longer than 1 second

Bupstop

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2024, 05:03:41 AM »
Frontside tail slide. Every time I finally commit to one I end up either grinding on my back truck or never fully lock in the tail. If I do lock the tail in I slip out and fall on my ass. I’m going to keep at it though.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2024, 06:34:00 AM »
I've never done a proper blunt fakie on an actual quarter pipe, but at one point in my life, I could do switch front blunts on them.

skateboarding is weird like that.

I'm nose blunts too. I think it's the body twist that allows more pop out. I can blunt but I'm gonna wanna pop down to truck combo out
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

D10S

• Rep: -54
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2024, 08:09:36 AM »
nollie heel   :-\

LeDave

• Rep: -14
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2024, 08:13:53 AM »
It took me a lot of courage to post this, but sadly I can't do ollies yet...  :'(

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2024, 08:17:06 AM »
Backside 5050s on ledges.

I am absolutely allergic to moving that way and have a cunt of a mental block with them

one day i did a bunch of mushrooms and went skating after and suddenly I could do it on rails.
I found getting my confidence up going straight on to something really helped.

nollieboulala

• Rep: 1
  • fuckin wheel fell off
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2024, 08:47:30 AM »
Still can’t do hardflips & inward heels.

casey_litter

• Rep: 0
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2024, 08:54:25 AM »
If heelflip shove it AKA varial heels are basic.
Anyone got any tips for these?

beecee

• Rep: 3
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2024, 09:05:34 AM »
nollie/switch flips are my kryptonite unless i spend like 30 mins rolling/stretching my left ankle on the grip tape to pull some sort of muscle memory from while trying. i have random spouts where i can switch bs flip/nollie varial/nollie tre (especially on football shapes) pretty easy but my switch ankle just doesn't want to flick for straight nollie/switch flips

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2024, 09:38:15 AM »

have to find a spot in the pocket where when you hit it , it will fs shove without you really having to influence it at all. i found a spot where its actually too fast and i start over rotating and doing lasers, and then started dialing it back to home in on the timing. i still kind of go through this a bit each time i try one cause i dont do them that much anymore.

put your front foot tiny bit back from where you would heel flip from.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2024, 09:38:42 AM »
Even if i land a FS shove, they're ugly enough it shouldn't count

Switch back 180 should be basic but the body control is super strange to me
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2024, 04:37:06 PM »
Bs boardslides. There's a lot of tricks I can't do, but this one annoys me, because I used to think it was easy. A lot of years ago I got hurt on a rail, and then completely abandoned them for years. Now when I try to do it, it's like the technique has been wiped from my memory. I can't commit to it if my life depended on it

CarcassToss

• Rep: 25
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2024, 05:20:18 PM »
Try them switch- I find those easier.

I can't switch heel and rarely can front shuv

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2024, 10:55:24 PM »
Sw front shuvs
Sw back 180

Any nollie or swithflips

Crooks other than the slappy version

Nose mannies

Bruh the list of basic tricks I can do would probably be shorter.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2024, 11:50:12 PM »
Expand Quote

I am absolutely allergic to moving that way and have a cunt of a mental block with them
[close]

one day i did a bunch of mushrooms and went skating after and suddenly I could do it on rails.

Insane! Thanks for your tips! @rawbertson.

By going straight, do you mean approaching it from straight on, directly behind? So you are just olling straight and getting on and working the lock in?

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2024, 12:36:10 AM »
nollie heelflips
bluntslides

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2024, 03:18:10 AM »
Kickflip, FUCKING KICKFLIP !!  ;D  I no longer  have the coordination to do it at all.. I started skateboarding in 2007, and from 2008 to 2011, the kickflip was perfect, I managed to do them boned, catch well with the foot back ..

Since 2011,I lost it, suddenly, it all started during a horrible winter session, with shoes that I hated.. And since then, lost physically and psychologically haha i must have succeeded without lying to you about fifty or sixty times.. I can no longer coordinate my movements, I feel like I no longer know how to start the ollie before the flick, my two legs no longer coordinate for this trick.. For the heelflip, no worries..

So, switch kickflip works perfectly now ahah Skateboarding is sometimes very strange.. But very frustrating to look like an idiot for trying kickflip while looking like nothing.., I really tried everything to find it.. maybe I would have to work on it all day.. ?

(However, flip back and half cab flip work relatively often.)

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2024, 06:34:10 AM »
Regular F/S shuv and any variation of that, I can do them but they look and feel gross. I could do them out of certain grinds and slides but on flat, in lines, probably not going to be happening.

Nollie and switch flips too, same deal, although I did the best switch flip of my life (at 35) recently that I was psyched on.

Regular 360 flips have been a battle too, only done them on flat a handful of times (back in the 7.75 days) and being short/riding bigger boards now doesn't help. I bet if I sized down it would be easier, maybe I'll have to try that.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2024, 07:14:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

By going straight, do you mean approaching it from straight on, directly behind? So you are just olling straight and getting on and working the lock in?

approaching from straight on
one day I saw the gas station was throwing away these little plastic stands they put the windshield washer fluid on that were basically just perfect grind boxes, like 1ft tall. it was pretty ideal thing to learn the straight on approach. so might be hard to find something like that at first. it might be easier to find just some super super baby low curb. i used to just practice a bit doing the stall even like coming straight on - 90 deg ollie into bs 5050 stall and learning where the over shoot was.

then when i did the mushrooms, my friend had this flat bar we would put down this "1 stair" in his back yard and that was where i dialed in the proper approach.

work_lurker

• Rep: 78
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2024, 10:11:36 AM »
nollie backside flips with the proper leg extension.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Pastasash

• Rep: 75
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2024, 10:24:07 AM »
nose slides, have landed one nice fs before, but all my bs ones look like dogshit and can't actually "slide"

tre flips- forever and ever the bane of my flatground tricks

nose mannys- and can't balance a nose grind so that's prob why

Crust

« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2024, 11:17:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

approaching from straight on
one day I saw the gas station was throwing away these little plastic stands they put the windshield washer fluid on that were basically just perfect grind boxes, like 1ft tall. it was pretty ideal thing to learn the straight on approach. so might be hard to find something like that at first. it might be easier to find just some super super baby low curb. i used to just practice a bit doing the stall even like coming straight on - 90 deg ollie into bs 5050 stall and learning where the over shoot was.

then when i did the mushrooms, my friend had this flat bar we would put down this "1 stair" in his back yard and that was where i dialed in the proper approach.

@rawbertson. Thanks for the details. I'll keep you posted if I get them. Def sounds like an ideal process to work the way up to them like that. From 1 foot onwards.. Thanks!

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2024, 01:12:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Varial flips. I can 360 flip but not varial flip.

Nollie/switch flips

[close]

I feel like these two I can actually give sensible advice because I like doing both.

So the difference between doing a 360 flip and doing a varial flip is 360 is almost all back foot and varial flip is almost all front foot. To do a varial flip do a kickflip and imagine you’re spinning it with your flick / front foot. Like imagine flicking but pushing it with that front foot like a shove after thought. Maybe this just works for me but once you think flick and shove with all that same front foot it’ll guide it. This way you can have both varial and 360 flip because unlike 360 flip, it really isn’t a scoop trick - at least in my opinion.

Switch flip I have my back foot square on the tail sometimes the very end of the tail sometimes in the pocket but always parallel with the bolts sort of on tip toes but like full foot across the whole tail. Flick foot pointy with a little heel hanging off on tippy toes like behind the back bolts but not right behind them.

Nollie flip same thing but I sort of look backwards when I pop and try to start facing forward by the time I land.

Hope these help.

I forget and relearn tricks all the time. One comes back one goes. Somethings that felt easy all the time randomly are really hard and others I haven’t done in forever I’ll try and they feel natural out of no where.

Thanks for the detailed varial flip explanation. I will try that out sometime.

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 30
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2024, 01:36:55 PM »
Bs pivot fakie and nose manual

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2024, 10:44:18 PM »

Since this has always been the crown jewel in my very poor trick crown, let me weigh in here. The trick that has made this one work for many who have asked me is that you have to kick down, in the direction of the ground, rather than forward. Do the foot placement you see everyone do, front foot hanging well over the toe side of the board somewhere before the bolts (how far back is different for everyone, try around) and the ball of your back foot somewhere between the side of the tail on the heel side and the centre of the tail. Pop and kick the front foot down hard, rather than forward. That way you can hit it with the heel of your foot and give it the mix of heelflip and front shuv you want. While you do this, make sure you don’t lean forward but keep your Center of gravity (ass) on the heel side of the board. Also, keep your shoulders rigidly parallel with the board. Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 02:29:12 AM by RoaryMcTwang »

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2024, 12:45:46 AM »
I feel like I have a decent/good flat game but i can't actually pop a good bs shove it consistently

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2024, 09:20:09 AM »
heelflip
but I can cab inward and varial heel go figure

professor pound cake

• Rep: 3
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2024, 11:31:17 AM »
once i learned how to 3flip i stopped trying other tricks, after that i just started trying to ollie on and off odd onstacles ala pappalardo

sharom

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2024, 11:39:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I can't sw back 180 or nollie front 180 to save my life. Sw frontside and nollie backside work great though
[close]

Although I can do them, nobody should ever see those atrocities. Those two 180s never made sense to me.

And also 360 flips. Had them fakie for a few years and lost them after a lot of ankle troubles.

Yeah I look like it's my first day skating trying either of those it's embarassing. 360 flips took me a while to learn but once I got em I could fling them around at mach speed like it was nothing. Every trick tip video ever made talks about the scoop being the main thing and they're on point. You really barely have to use your front foot once that "aha" moment registers.

Also, you guys talking ledge tricks makes me so jealous. I've done half cab crook, fs half cab noseslide and kickflip back 5050 and that was my entire ledge career. I've never had a ledge game and never will I just look and feel stupid trying. I've spent way too much time trying bs 180 nosegrind, only locked in once and after a while it felt like everyone nearby just felt bad for me so I left after rolling around a bit. Ledge skating is soul crushing for me.

Crust

« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2024, 07:06:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I can't sw back 180 or nollie front 180 to save my life. Sw frontside and nollie backside work great though
[close]

Although I can do them, nobody should ever see those atrocities. Those two 180s never made sense to me.

And also 360 flips. Had them fakie for a few years and lost them after a lot of ankle troubles.
[close]

Ledge skating is soul crushing for me.

I'm with you man. I find it to be a way more difficult puzzle to figure out than any other type of skating/trick.