Author Topic: Biggest skate regret  (Read 3569 times)

Fernzilla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
Re: Biggest skate regret
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2024, 07:48:00 AM »
I was thinking about this today. One time when I was like twelve my uncle took me to this very jenky very ramp with my parents. There was a five foot section and my uncle was telling me to drop in. I’d never skated a ramp before and was too chicken. Wish I’d have gone for it. Might’ve got wrecked but fuck it, would have been cool.

That's why I always "try" if I see a drop it that I think I should be able to do.

I was at a pool a couple of years ago with a friend. I haven't skated a pool in so fucken long. We were skating from within on the higher end but I just said fuck it. I climbed up and dropped in.  It wasn't that gnarly, maybe five and half or so high. I stuck the drop in but fell on the roll away. My friend goes - "holy shit I can't believe you just got up there and did it" I told him - "It would haunt me forever if I had never at least tried it"

Scarecrow Radio

• Rep: 32
  • we are the music makers
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2024, 08:12:56 AM »
Repeatedly jumping down sets of stairs in my teens and twenties

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2024, 08:21:34 AM »
Giving up on tricks I wanted to do, putting them off until later in life thinking I had all the time in the world, not thinking that some random health event would come up and cut my time short. Things I know I could have done, but now my body just isn’t capable. 

Settling for “close” being good enough and not pushing it harder when I was in my window
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2024, 08:59:22 PM »
being shy and not asking someone to film me board slide a jersey barrier from flat

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2024, 09:02:43 PM »
I am starting to regret my Flame Boy and Wet Willy tattoos.

I really should have put Willy on my right shoulder and Flame on the left.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2024, 01:49:56 AM »
Quitting

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2024, 02:25:27 AM »
Quitting

Same, I wasted 22 years getting high and drunk instead of skating between 1998 and 2020.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2024, 02:27:24 AM »
I regret not filming more as a kid. I wasn't any good myself but would be cool to have memories of the homies at spots that don't exist anymore.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2024, 02:29:01 AM »
Quitting

My friends’ biggest skate regret is me not quitting
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 07:42:57 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2024, 02:34:46 AM »
Not bothering to learn flips and stopping for years

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 81
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2024, 07:10:20 AM »
Not getting comfortable with transition after almost 20 years of skating. I can do very basic shit, but anything beyond simple stalls and slash grinds scares the hell out of me.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2024, 08:56:52 AM »
I could go with the easy one of quitting when I was younger before re-discovering my passion for it but honestly I don't think I would love it as much as I do now if I hadn't stopped.

So I think my biggest regret is never skating transition stuff when I was young.  There's a whole side of skating that I really just don't do much of because the barrier to entry on learning it as I get closer to 40 feels so huge.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 36
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2024, 05:06:49 PM »
Not filming more, even if I’ve never been that good

Spending too much time worrying that “real” skaters would think my tricks are “kooky”

Wearing skate shoes instead of literally any supportive shoes during my day to day life from ages 11 to 26

Not stretching enough

Looking at Slap message boards

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 913
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2024, 05:46:30 PM »
I studied abroad in Melbourne for 6 months, and the library triangle book thing was under construction the whole god damn time until like two weeks before I left. It was on the way to the grocery store I went to so I saw it a bunch. When it was finally done I skated it like 4 days in a row and even did a bank ride on it with my groceries in my backpack and a bunch of people around. It was sick. I wish I’d been there another time. I guess I also wish I’d filmed and/or skated more in general in Australia but I had a good time there.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • sup dog
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2024, 08:28:22 PM »
Not taking an offer to go skate with the Tiltmode crew for a weekend back when they were huge and I was at my prime ... who knows what could have been ...
Reading that one really hurt. :(
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 6
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2024, 05:36:56 AM »
Being a little poosey when I was younger.

Should've pushed myself more.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2024, 12:13:17 PM »
To be honest, 110%, sticking with the group of cats i grew up with into my mid 20s who lived on a heavy criminal/drug element and had beef with everyone, rather than going to skate with the other group/crews that invited me to go skate and on trips. I felt such a strong sense of loyalty to my friends that really held me back.
Support your local skate shop

A_ _ Ron

• Rep: 1
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2024, 02:03:08 PM »
Stopping and waiting so long to get back into it.

And not doing more vert when I was young and fearless.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2024, 04:52:47 PM »
My buddy broke his wrist on the college mini so I was convinced it was cursed and never dropped in. Don't know the specifics of the dimensions but I've skated bigger since. It had a teensy bit of vert. I'd hit coping too quickly pumping it or something.
I want to go back with knee pads for my five year reunion
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2024, 05:02:44 PM »
Never did a 540

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2024, 07:12:26 PM »
Not moving to Manhattan (grew up on the East End of Long Island - we did skate in NYC a lot tho - hung with HHunter's group/BBanks)
Not pushing myself sooner after my first shop sponsor (contests, etc.)
Not moving to California sooner
Getting to Californian and skating the EMB (prime 90s emb) and realizing how behind we were
Realizing I needed to sleep at the EMB (like kids were actually doing) to progress (see above)
Stopping when work took over/no friends around to skate with
Picking it up half assed
Quitting again when I got married (once divorced I picked it back up and been skating ever since)
Not being better at transition (I have acrophobia and get vertigo around 6-8' fucking sucks)
Don't ever stop.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2024, 01:37:15 AM »
Not moving to Manhattan (grew up on the East End of Long Island - we did skate in NYC a lot tho - hung with HHunter's group/BBanks)
Not pushing myself sooner after my first shop sponsor (contests, etc.)
Not moving to California sooner
Getting to Californian and skating the EMB (prime 90s emb) and realizing how behind we were
Realizing I needed to sleep at the EMB (like kids were actually doing) to progress (see above)
Stopping when work took over/no friends around to skate with
Picking it up half assed
Quitting again when I got married (once divorced I picked it back up and been skating ever since)
Not being better at transition (I have acrophobia and get vertigo around 6-8' fucking sucks)
Don't ever stop.

Shout out east LI. Greenport is still haggard as shit but Montauk just got an insanely sick park built out there. Acrophobia is no joke, I straight up have woken myself up screaming from nightmares about being stuck on top of a skyscraper before. Just thinking about that kinda shit gives me crazy PTSD type symptoms let alone radio tower climbing videos or any of that parkour stuff. Nooooooope no no no no thanks.

b00tyclappa69420

• Rep: 25
  • https://uniondiscount.net
    • Union Discount - Sale items from 120+ skate stores avatar image
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2024, 02:30:49 AM »
spending age 15-30 mostly smoking/drinking at the park/sesh instead of actually trying to skate. i would hit a “sweet spot” sometimes where i could actually skate and did progress a bit…but could have been more for the 15+ years i’ve been skating. luckily ive quit drinking and am having a 30+ skate renaissance… so lets see. nothing like learning tre flips at the ripe old age of 31  8)
https://uniondiscount.net cheap sk8 shit from real sk8 stores

let’s go home

• Rep: 35
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2024, 03:11:43 AM »
I never bothered to properly learn transition skating and now at 34 especially landing to fakie (pivot to fakie, blunt to fakie…) feel so damn unnatural to me.

Also I should’ve done more skate travelling but I can actually do something about it.

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2024, 09:36:49 AM »
shouldve filmed every little ride on grind and drop in and whatever dork tricks i could come up with...could have had parts for years by todays standards

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2024, 09:40:35 AM »
Watching that Gabbers part
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -145
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2024, 10:36:18 AM »
I regret not learning to skate vert, I have a lot of natural ability that I wasted, could have probaly been Bucky Lasek level good. Also street, didn't skate stairs so wasted the opportunity to be Reynolds level stairs flipper. Also rails in Cali are smaller and I didn't move there so I'm not Paul Machnau level rail skater either.

scavenger

• Rep: 2
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2024, 03:41:29 PM »
Went to EMB around '89, when I was 15-16, with the intention to try the Gonz Gap. I was feeling pretty confident but broke an axle when I clipped on the 7-stair (was going way too slow and decided to ollie it last second). Had to go home that day without even trying it and didn't end up coming back until after it was gone :(

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2024, 11:27:55 PM »
deck width, should have sized up way earlier to 8.5 or something. but back then even an 8" was considered a ship.
landing tricks down stairs/gaps maybe would have been easier, more room to place us12 sized feet on something wider than a 7.5 to 7.8. shrugman

Fasttimes

• Rep: -45
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2024, 11:58:16 PM »
Biggest regret.  . . Not skating when I know it balances me and fixes my mind. My advice is, learn the basics, you look good to anyone that doesn't understand, but skating and cruising in the dark and just ollieing manhole covers is better than a harley.