You buying sale decks or retail price?

Retail
73 (33.6%)
Sale
81 (37.3%)
Fred Gall
63 (29%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Author Topic: Who’s buying decks at retail?  (Read 6383 times)

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 103
Who’s buying decks at retail?
« on: May 22, 2024, 11:31:18 AM »
I always feel bad but with money being tight I generally buy sale decks but starting to buy Glue and There decks at retail (and more softgoods) to try and support the companies I care about instead of just getting whatever.

With the higher prices on decks and so many companies putting out so many boards I was thinking there’s probably gonna be a lot less companies over the next few years but maybe I’m an outlier and other people pay the 70-80 bucks a board.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Who’s buying decks at retail?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 11:52:24 AM »
I don’t think I’ve paid retail in close to a decade aside from a 101 reissue that I wanted as a wall hanger, especially since I switched to skating Crail boards from their two for $80 “mystery boxes”.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 11:59:15 AM »
I usually buy boards on sale but occasionally I'll buy a specific deck that I'm really stoked on at retail. The last time I did that was the Jerry Hsu There guest pro model.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 12:02:53 PM »
I wait for something like a "20% off everything" sale and then get the stuff that would never be on sale otherwise

fernando the skater

• Rep: 128
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 12:03:11 PM »
I always feel bad but with money being tight I generally buy sale decks but starting to buy Glue and There decks at retail (and more softgoods) to try and support the companies I care about instead of just getting whatever.

With the higher prices on decks and so many companies putting out so many boards I was thinking there’s probably gonna be a lot less companies over the next few years but maybe I’m an outlier and other people pay the 70-80 bucks a board.

In the UK, Glue decks at Slam City are the equivalent of $110 US.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 103
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 12:09:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In the UK, Glue decks at Slam City are the equivalent of $110 US.

Oh my god. Yeah I’m generally a sale gear thread buyer. Even thought about getting a box from skatesamples. Admittedly trying to buy retail is a new thing for me and will be very dependent on my turbulent current job. Def been buying way more softgoods.

If a deck was 110 I would def be buying sale though.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 12:17:38 PM »
SALE

Prices are stupid right now here in Chile
I'm a father of two; so gimme the cheapest whatever 8.0 shitstick with free griptape you got
I don't care anymore about shapes, wheelbase or brands
Im just glad Im still skating at this point

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 44
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 12:19:06 PM »
I’m on my last Covid sale board, but I will never pay $80 for a deck

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2024, 12:27:49 PM »
I bought maybe 2 sci fi and 1 toy deck at retail this year. Then I bought some custom boards that were cheaper than retail per board, Recently I just bought a bunch of blanks.

Unless I REALLY want a certain board. Generally no.

Pastasash

• Rep: 84
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2024, 12:28:55 PM »
If things are going well and I like the brand, shop, and pro skater no problem paying retail of $70-$80

If I've been stupid and spending too much lately, then I wait for sales like I currently am doing for some good memorial day savings.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2024, 12:45:06 PM »
I used to buy a new board like once a month, but haven’t bought a new one since Thanksgiving and have just been skating through a stack of old decks that honestly still have a lot of life in them
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Coffee

• Rep: 45
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2024, 12:47:03 PM »
I’ve paid retail for at least my last three decks but all where exactly what I wanted and at my local skate shop.

Dirty_Dan90

• Rep: -23
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2024, 12:53:25 PM »
Yeah i usually buy shit the cheapest i can find it but i try to make it a point to get down to the local shop and buy a pair of shoes and a deck or some trucks whenever im in the area. Living in a rural area but somehow have a pre fab park in the cut is great.

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 25
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2024, 12:55:00 PM »
i refuse to spend £90 on a deck

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2024, 01:17:25 PM »
I go through a fair amount of boards, Usually I'll do shop decks from my local with a limo board every once in awhile. Usually full price for both.

Crust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2024, 01:33:36 PM »
Been years since I paid retail. Also, Fred Gall.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2024, 02:05:00 PM »
I buy Fred Gall decks at retail.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2024, 02:12:39 PM »
In 30+ years of skating I haven’t once paid retail for a board. Pretty crazy when I think about it.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 153
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2024, 02:23:37 PM »
I buy Fred Gall decks at retail.

I just bought a Domestics board at retail ($65). First time I've done so in a long while.

ElonMuskaBeats

• Rep: -20
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2024, 02:35:40 PM »
All I’m hearing is “fuck supporting the skate industry”. Buying sale decks helps no one but you. Maybe helps clear the skate shop rack of the crap no one wants, but margins on decks is so minute that that’s not even really supporting the shops. Skateboarding is dying again, so unless you don’t give a shit, go buy something at retail and help out the shops and companies so they can continue to  exist.

Free hat

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2024, 02:50:21 PM »
All I’m hearing is “fuck supporting the skate industry”. Buying sale decks helps no one but you. Maybe helps clear the skate shop rack of the crap no one wants, but margins on decks is so minute that that’s not even really supporting the shops. Skateboarding is dying again, so unless you don’t give a shit, go buy something at retail and help out the shops and companies so they can continue to  exist.

Take that holier than thou shit out of here. Most people ain’t got money like that these days and even if they did it’s none of your business how they spend it. When companies are charging $80 on average + grip for a board than maybe the industry should die again. I buy softgoods from companies I support at my local or online and blank decks straight from the distributor. Some people have dependents and a shit ton of bills and needs. Preach somewhere else

Ninj2

• Rep: -106
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2024, 04:00:52 PM »
Skate harder get sponsored never buy boards again except for wall hangers  because nothing screams taste like hanging a skateboard on your wall and nostalgia.
Grind foo grind. Muska graphic on your wall still wrapped in plastic. Looking like a ketchup label

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1437
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2024, 04:12:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Take that holier than thou shit out of here. Most people ain’t got money like that these days and even if they did it’s none of your business how they spend it. When companies are charging $80 on average + grip for a board than maybe the industry should die again. I buy softgoods from companies I support at my local or online and blank decks straight from the distributor. Some people have dependents and a shit ton of bills and needs. Preach somewhere else

Industry should die again? Ok, youtube dude. Mom and pop skateshops are what will be dying.

i like the local skate shop and want it to stay open another 27 years, so they can keep the real shit alive for the next generations. Full price shop decks are still leas than the $52.50 we paid for years.
Support your local skate shop

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2024, 04:19:26 PM »
I buy retail. I still only ride 7.87 boards, so even if I wanted to do sale stuff, it is not possible.

However, I will say I feel like riding a <8 board is the equivalent of mall grabbing or asking the shop if they have the newest D3s in stock.  :'(

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -69
  • eight equals d
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2024, 04:21:06 PM »
I only purchase retail if it’s something for my collection on my wall. Usually only guest boards and first pro models of my favorite skaters, and the occasional limited run decks from some of my favorite artists. Other than that I purchase basically everything second hand but that usually doesn’t equate to cheaper prices because I try to search out hard to find decks. If it’s a deck I’m going to skate it’s bought on sale most likely.
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

LeDave

• Rep: 40
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2024, 04:57:34 PM »
If I want it bad enough, I will pay retail for it. DGK Tuners and DGK Blossoms are some of them.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2024, 05:08:27 PM »
I buy retail, when I used to read all the mags in the late 90s as a young kid I would get upset by how poor most the pros said they were in their interview.

I bought a couple Uber boards but now that almost is gone I’m going to have to find a new board that sparks my interest. Before the Uber I was skating robbie gangemi boards (vehicle and orchard shop decks) I really liked the wheel base! So long story short I always buy retail

Dimewithacannibal

• Rep: -26
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2024, 05:36:29 PM »
Support or gone is the modo so I support brands I like.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • sup dog
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2024, 05:54:59 PM »
Ah good question.

I’m old. I can’t go through decks very fast (3-5 months), so I’m buying whatever I want at full retail if it’s in the local. For two reasons:

1. supporting the small local business.
2. Getting exactly what I want. after decades of buying whatever was the cheapest and making it work and getting used to it, I don’t have time to be fucking around anymore… I like what I like and I want fun graphics to make me stoked to skate.

That being said, if there’s a screaming deal on sale decks, I will stock up on a skate shop’s sale online (thanks shoplurker.com and sale gear thread boards)

15 years ago I would have answered: “whatever cheap shop deck is available in the size I want”

(*which, side note, is it true that buying shop decks helps out the shop pretty well?)

@Dad Board  softgoods and shoes are the best margins, I hear, so maybe that’s the best way to support local shops? Maybe buying full retail decks isn’t the best way to support, so buying sale decks from wherever, but buying shoes and softgoods from local is the way to go.

When I was young I didn’t know how people afforded full price decks at $60-$65. I always went for $30-$40 shop decks.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2024, 05:58:40 PM »
Been spoiling myself with a new board every two months or so, and some of the stuff I want isn't on sale or gets snatched up quickly so yeah I buy at retail for sure. Latest board was a Real Ishod twin tip slick in my size that I know would be copped quick if I didn't jump on it. If it's something I'm on the fence about, I might wait for a sale or discount code to appear.