Author Topic: sk8 lingo of yesteryear  (Read 4876 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
Re: sk8 lingo of yesteryear
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2024, 05:58:07 AM »
A bit deriving from the topic but did you also have the skaters' greeting, i.e. instead of clapping the hands, snapping each others fingers?

Googling it I just found out this is known as the Liberian or Nigerian handshake:

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2024, 09:46:49 AM »
A bit deriving from the topic but did you also have the skaters' greeting, i.e. instead of clapping the hands, snapping each others fingers?

Googling it I just found out this is known as the Liberian or Nigerian handshake:

dappin your homies up will never go out of steeze! I mean style.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • sup dog
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2024, 11:55:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Is “sick” still alive?
[close]

Saying “sick” never seems to get old for me, especially in light of all the trendy lingo that has come and gone since the late 80’s. I say sick at least once a day.

I wonder how long it will take for “wet” to become dated?
Oh happy days. 

You know what’s weird though? Like causing a mini-existential crisis? The word “cool” sounds extremely dated all of sudden.

I’m really self conscience about saying it now around anyone younger than me :(

*Also:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 12:07:10 PM by JM »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • sup dog
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2024, 12:02:00 PM »

Yeah! Used to try and do this all through the 90’s.  Could never get it right.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2024, 03:39:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'd say in general trick names have become shorter. We used to say the whole name, like frontside 180 kickflip which became frontside 180 flip then frontside flip. In written form it's even shorter: fs flip. Or ollie impossible or backside 360 ollie which are impossibles and back threes now.
[close]

I feel like I may have mentioned this on here before, but why anyone ever called an impossible an "ollie impossible" is pretty weird given that it's one of very few tricks that come off the ground without an "ollie" action being part of it at all.
[close]

I feel like I also may have explained this. There were three "Trick Tips" of the impossible: one with the hand spinning the board, the other with the front foot, and the "ollie impossible" to differentiate from the others. Same with "ollie kickflip". The original version was flipped with your toe underneath the deck.

Thank you, I can appreciate that logic. Apologies if it was me you explained this to previously and I forgot...
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

heelbite

• Rep: 5
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2024, 07:29:35 PM »

Taraval

• Rep: 30
  • :p
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2024, 08:58:41 PM »
classic shit where me and the homies used to call everything “beast” ironically then it did become part of the daily saying.

back in the day mags called airs “bio” when they were blasted

the trapasso slang was popular growing up. fasho, hurt, for days
😶

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2323
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2024, 09:14:12 PM »
Does anybody say ”hella” anymore?
Yes.
I do still say hella.
Make me change!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Marv

• Rep: 100
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2024, 09:16:50 PM »
Seems like I hardly ever hear people say "poser" anymore.

That was like the grandaddy of all insults back in the day.

T-dog replaced poser in the early 90s for most people I knew. It originated out of EMB as far as I know.

As for outdated trick names, Ollie North is what some people were calling ollie one-foots back then.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 110
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2024, 09:30:51 PM »
It feels like fs halfcab flip is being replaced by fakie fs flip which is weird to me

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2024, 10:19:12 PM »
K-Grind was pretty common.

Gnar_Gnar

• Rep: 30
  • Don’t give up
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2024, 02:20:42 AM »
Everything was rad, sick, gnarly or awesome when i was a kid.
The key is keeping it that way as you get older.   ;)

I will shamelessly drop out of date slang.  I think it’s hilarious.  I am what I am, what can I say?
Nose slide Crook
Nose slide Crook
Nose slide Crook

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2024, 04:40:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

T-dog replaced poser in the early 90s for most people I knew. It originated out of EMB as far as I know.

As for outdated trick names, Ollie North is what some people were calling ollie one-foots back then.

Ollie North is kind of clever and sounds like an old vert trick name like Madonna, judo etc. but it's not. It came from the Tony Hawk video game. Before that (when people were actually doing one foots) they were just one-foots or one-footed ollies.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2024, 05:04:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Everything was rad, sick, gnarly or awesome when i was a kid.
[close]
The key is keeping it that way as you get older.   ;)

I will shamelessly drop out of date slang.  I think it’s hilarious.  I am what I am, what can I say?
yeah, ain't no backin' out at this point

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2024, 05:07:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ollie North is kind of clever and sounds like an old vert trick name like Madonna, judo etc. but it's not. It came from the Tony Hawk video game. Before that (when people were actually doing one foots) they were just one-foots or one-footed ollies.
What's the chance tony hawk or someone he knew did it first and named it Ollie north tho? He must have already been calling it Ollie north for some reason and it's what he told them to put in the game.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6SB8_vyfEa/?igsh=MWVlMTVqbHpkZXA1Zg==

That said I don't think anyone could have thought people would be using the game to learn all the trick names at the time

feeble minded

• Rep: 5
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2024, 05:19:03 AM »
Now that I write this out it seems really, really dumb, but I recall being told that it was called an Ollie North because of the Iran Contra scandal at the time and how often Oliver 'Ollie' North’s name was in the news.

My apologies if I'm just spreading yet more nonsense on Slap with this, but now I'm curious if anyone had ever been offered that as a reason for the trick name. 

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2024, 05:44:41 AM »
Now that I write this out it seems really, really dumb, but I recall being told that it was called an Ollie North because of the Iran Contra scandal at the time and how often Oliver 'Ollie' North’s name was in the news.

My apologies if I'm just spreading yet more nonsense on Slap with this, but now I'm curious if anyone had ever been offered that as a reason for the trick name.

I believe that is exactly the reason for it. That's what makes it sound like an old trick name.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2323
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2024, 08:07:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I believe that is exactly the reason for it. That's what makes it sound like an old trick name.
Can confirm: the trick name was around years before THPS & is so named for the reason cited above by user @feeble minded.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 173
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2024, 01:19:07 PM »
Expand Quote
I can't think of any sk8 terms, but I think it is hysterical that we collectively in America still call these the same thing as we did 30 years ago.

[close]
The kidz are callin em wife pleasers now yeah?
Oh, you mean women respecters?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2024, 06:14:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

T-dog is short for tourist though, in usage it’s pretty close to poser now that I think about it but it’s not really synonymous

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 20
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2024, 06:50:41 PM »
Tight is still in my daily vocabulary.

Kids probably think it's some "boomer" shit now that I think about it though.

Do people say "bolts" or "buttery" anymore?

Marv

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2024, 09:54:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ollie North skate trick was years before the Tony Hawk video game. 1990 or 1991 for sure.

Marv

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2024, 10:04:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

T-dog is short for tourist though, in usage it’s pretty close to poser now that I think about it but it’s not really synonymous

I’m just relaying my experience of the term in the early 90s. A friend of mine spent a few months in SF in 1991 skating EMB. When he came back he was referring to certain “kooks” in our scene as T Dogs, so that’s what we used it as.

Marv

« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2024, 10:06:58 PM »

You’re absolutely right.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2024, 05:19:38 AM »
That's actually kind of cool. Petition to rename ollies Olivers
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2024, 05:27:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ollie North skate trick was years before the Tony Hawk video game. 1990 or 1991 for sure.

I stand corrected, it makes total sense the trick precedes the video game, as the name suggests. Surely the video game made it widely used, even more common than one-foot at the time. For some reason I never came across it before THPS and I studied religiously all Thrashers and Transworlds from mid-88 onwards. I remember being puzzled when I saw it in the game, like "why the hell is one-foot called Ollie North"? And then being bummed when the term caught on.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2024, 05:29:15 AM »
K-Grind was pretty common.

I loved that one.

Here "Ollie North" was always called "Ollie Chinese".

Crust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2024, 05:33:22 AM »
Tight is still in my daily vocabulary.

Kids probably think it's some "boomer" shit now that I think about it though.

Do people say "bolts" or "buttery" anymore?

I still hear "bolts" if something was in fact landed bolts, but haven't heard "buttery" in many years.

Never liked the term "buttery" despite have a strong preference for adding butter to many types of food.

Oroborus

• Rep: 8
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2024, 05:35:21 AM »
 Rad, Zorched, Gnar as in that's pretty Gnar or big scary yes I am a big fan of 80's lingo

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 328
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2024, 06:02:17 AM »
"Cap" just makes me think of going over someone's graff..