Author Topic: Sole Tech Sells To The Nidecker Group  (Read 15898 times)

Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2329
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Sole Tech Sells To The Nidecker Group
« on: May 24, 2024, 01:37:34 PM »
This is being discussed in a couple separate SoleTech related threads, figured it could probably use it's own thread.

https://shop-eat-surf.com/2024/05/sole-tech-owner-to-sell-etnies-es-emerica-and-thirtytwo-to-nidecker-group/

The gist of it: Pierre Senizergues, sole owner of Etnies, eS, Emerica, and 32 has sold the brands to a family owned group that owns a bunch of snowboard brands. SoleTech will cease to exist and the Nidecker Group will take over the brands. Pierre will remain as CEO of the four brands.

work_lurker

• Rep: 107
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
Re: Sole Tech Sells To The Nidecker Group
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 02:03:38 PM »
Is this the same group that bought Active Rideshop after their like 3rd bankruptcy?
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1395
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 02:06:26 PM »
Is this the same group that bought Active Rideshop after their like 3rd bankruptcy?
Doesn't seem like it. That was a Venture Capital group that buys zombie brands if I recall correctly. These people just sound like they're snow sport magnates. Could've been a lot worse...

*Active's President from their successful years formed a group to buy it from V Cap Tengram Group, who had forced it into liquidation.
unreadable trap logo

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 187
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 02:27:33 PM »
Here’s the press release linked on the Nidecker site:

https://assets.website-files.com/664f068469574c484d01738d/6650ba300ec8badcd93fec12_Nidecker-Group_PressRelease05.24.24.pdf

Some fantastic images in there

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 02:40:15 PM »
RIP Soletech

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 02:43:19 PM »
What exactly does that mean for the riders and existing shoes from each brand? Will shoes like the éS Swift, the Emerica Spanky Hi or the Etnies Joslin remain the same in the future?
IG: @flowterspace

Jebediah

• Rep: 108
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 02:43:53 PM »
Here’s the press release linked on the Nidecker site:

https://assets.website-files.com/664f068469574c484d01738d/6650ba300ec8badcd93fec12_Nidecker-Group_PressRelease05.24.24.pdf

Some fantastic images in there

damn I wanna get the homies together for some synchronized flat land

Ninj2

• Rep: -101
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 02:45:49 PM »
I thought this shit died like five times already? How come shit never really dies? Cool stuff dies but shit  lives for fucking ever.  God hates us.

work_lurker

• Rep: 107
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 04:18:47 PM »
What exactly does that mean for the riders and existing shoes from each brand? Will shoes like the éS Swift, the Emerica Spanky Hi or the Etnies Joslin remain the same in the future?

My company recently switched ownership, old owner retired and sold it to 2 new guys. They kept telling us at the beginning of the year that "NOTHING WAS GOING TO CHANGE", it was just going to be different names owning it. Well, this month they completely slashed my commission arrangement I had been in the past 3 years, saying it wasn't sustainable, and they paid me literally 25% of what my commission check was supposed to be.

It's different, I get it, but it probably won't be that different here. Only a matter of time until contracts either don't get renewed, or get hella slashed at renewal.

Good luck Sole Tech riders, hope you have your resumes up to date.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 35
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 04:25:52 PM »
Maybe Tom Asta will finally get a sponsor that fits

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2024, 05:02:29 PM »
This kind of feels like an older relative who has been sick for a long time and finally passes. It is sad to those them, but also a relief that their suffering is finally over.

Also, Henry has a pretty intense rocket flip.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Free hat

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2024, 05:50:28 PM »
Maybe Tom Asta will finally get a sponsor that fits

Asta on NB makes sense to me but I could also see him going the HG800 or whatever they’re called route and ensuring he gets the biggest bag while he can.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2024, 05:58:19 PM »
I thought this shit died like five times already? How come shit never really dies? Cool stuff dies but shit  lives for fucking ever.  God hates us.

Nobody Ever Really Dies
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 89
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2024, 06:37:52 PM »
Bummer
Cocteau Twins

BRINK

• Rep: -1172
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2024, 06:41:15 PM »
What will they do now that they can't milk the "skater owned and operated" lie and the pathetic excuse that "large sportswear brands with lots of money are the reason we are dying" excuse for the executive team's unfathomably awful management of the corporation for 20 more years ...

Shoutout to everyone leaving, because as you may have noticed, most people who do end up having their careers elevated and treated with more respect by companies that treat skateboarding with more respect.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2024, 06:46:31 PM »
So what the helm was Don Brown doing over there? 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3422
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2024, 07:35:45 PM »
Sole Tech has nowhere to go but up so…

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2024, 07:52:41 PM »
This kind of feels like an older relative who has been sick for a long time and finally passes. It is sad to those them, but also a relief that their suffering is finally over.

Damn, but yeah! SoleTech’s is the slowest death. Yeesh.

We don’t want to be the ones that kill things, is all. Every revived company.. or like DiCaprio in The Revenant when he floats the body down the river. He wouldn’t be the last laid hands, but it’s still a death sentence.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 111
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2024, 08:04:59 PM »
Templeton 2’s will be the last pair of Sole Tech shoes I buy.

greerpark

• Rep: -59
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2024, 08:34:20 PM »
Honestly, not that bad of an outcome.

1. Family owned company (even ridiculously wealthy) have more leeway for higher operating standards because they aren't beholden to "money line go up" anyone-owns-it public co's and it's their "family legacy" so they don't want shitty behavior attached to their name.

2. Not Private Equity that just squeezes the juice to eke out a 30% return in 2 years.

3. They run YES snowboards which is actually a decently respected snowboard brand. Think Burton / Gravis except hoping they don't go the way of Gravis lol

4. The brothers can actually do a kickflip

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2024, 08:48:33 PM »
I legit hope they turn it into something better than what we have now. The brand of éS is so tarnished and their harping on their glory years is wack as fuck. I don’t know who ultimately made those decisions but for fucks sake please make it something original

Oh maybe the same for emerica if they have the time

And etnies can suck a frank

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2024, 08:57:16 PM »
Is there any shoe brands fully owned by skaters now? I realize these guys can kinda kickflip…

Is lakai still owned by whatever corporation owns huf?

Pontus only kinda owns Last Resort as it was already another guys fashion footwear brand before he got involved?

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2024, 09:22:25 PM »
It’s cool that they skate, but that doesn’t really mean much. This kind of deal rarely works out for the better in the long run. Whatever though, prove me wrong.

On a related note, I guess dwindle and blind/almost/etc are dead already. Kind of a shame that blind has disappeared the way it has, with all the history behind it.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2024, 10:11:17 PM »
Is there any shoe brands fully owned by skaters now? I realize these guys can kinda kickflip…

Is lakai still owned by whatever corporation owns huf?

Pontus only kinda owns Last Resort as it was already another guys fashion footwear brand before he got involved?

Opus

Fishing Lines (?)

State have looked done since covid

That Japanese brand Possessed..don't know if the owners skate

There's also that brand made up of ex ipath crew that's supposed to happen this year maybe

« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 10:29:55 PM by Sila »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2024, 10:20:08 PM »
"skater owned" doesn't mean shit to me. Usually skaters are terrible at being responsible financially so brands are most likely to crap out.
Also a lot of skaters have this God complex just for being good at skateboarding which makes them obnoxious assholes.
I'd rather somebody who knows whatever brown to be a decent, straight up person with decent work ethics rather than a skater that only cares about skating and nothing else. Don't get me wrong, I love skateboarding to death but if I would skate for a brand is rather the person owning it can actually take care of it.
Maybe a good example is Crail, probably if it would have been only Rick and Carroll brand wouldn't last long.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 03:27:30 AM by moonordie »
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2024, 11:31:41 PM »
Skater owned used to be really important to me.

Sadly, a lot of the skater owned companies acted like we owed them rather than we were all part of the community.

While some companies do hold up their end of the bargain, a lot refuse to do shit for the scene. I think Ocean did a good job explaining how they were supposed to act:
https://www.skateboarding.com/news/skateboarding-though-corporate-america-we-are-inefficient-and-proud

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2024, 02:00:35 AM »

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -42
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2024, 03:01:40 AM »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Shtonk

• Rep: -561
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2024, 03:27:31 AM »
Honestly, not that bad of an outcome.

1. Family owned company (even ridiculously wealthy) have more leeway for higher operating standards because they aren't beholden to "money line go up" anyone-owns-it public co's and it's their "family legacy" so they don't want shitty behavior attached to their name.

2. Not Private Equity that just squeezes the juice to eke out a 30% return in 2 years.

3. They run YES snowboards which is actually a decently respected snowboard brand. Think Burton / Gravis except hoping they don't go the way of Gravis lol

4. The brothers can actually do a kickflip

Seeing as they are from snowsports, their legacy is actually not the best. Nidecker as a snowboard brand vanished 20 years ago. They have one of the bigger factories iirc but their brand work was a failure. YES is going the same route, although the founders are legends and the current team is stacked. But the whole identity, the style, it's just not good. They should be the Girl of snowboarding but they're more like Flip.