Author Topic: Can’t skate… comparable hobbies?  (Read 7192 times)

MC3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 142
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
Re: Can’t skate… comparable hobbies?
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2024, 03:59:28 PM »
rock climbing/bouldering - you even destroy your shoes in a similar way

I don't do it but Cardiel seems to be the case study for biking. I think he rides fixed gears?
(Cool Trick GIF)

mfweeno

• Rep: 37
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2024, 04:04:08 PM »
You might hate it, but the answer is golf
I have heard this before, but I think this is the only comment mentioning golf in this thread.

I definitely see the parallels.
Golf is a (typically) outdoor sporting activity with social implications/benefits for the majority of participants. Most of the physical challenge stems from technique mastery and the demands of the playing environment. Same potential for fixation on gear to the point of “madness”. Achieving the objective of the sport (staying under par) takes a lot of focus and concentration (and some luck) and is immensely rewarding when done.

What else am I missing?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • sup dog
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2024, 04:05:38 PM »
I usually have to take a break from skating in the summer due to some crazy heat allergy thing I have.
I just picked up a beginner compound bow.
Set up a target block in my back yard and it’s been really fun. Hitting the bullseye is a pretty good feeling, definitely a good dopamine hit.

@MOE SYZLAK
Dude!!!

Completely forgot about archery. There’s a club down the road from me :o

I think I may need to look into that.

Thanks

**Also, all: art, music, golf, disc golf, surfing, all those are really good suggestions. And it’s interesting that they’re all things I’ve dabbled with in the past. Skaters may be all built the same in the end. :P

Thanks for all the suggestions

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2024, 04:16:15 PM »
I don’t know if anything could ever totally replace skateboarding for me (which is a tough reality), but rock climbing/bouldering is very comparable to me. Problem solving, lots of different techniques to learn, physically demanding, and often requires lots of attempts on the same thing until you finally get it. And there are different levels of “getting it” in terms of style, technique, cleanliness. And if you’re into it you can also take it outdoors vs the gym (street vs park, etc). It also works different parts of your body in case it’s a leg situation you’re dealing with re: not being able to skate.

that sports kinda gnar, i imagine you could still get injured at the casual level just like skating

i'm currently injured so for me it's been cooking, hitting my weed pen, messaging friends, videogames, reading about random stuff on wiki/internet, music (listening or the occasional jam), hanging with fam n pets
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 04:39:11 PM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1011
  • the moon rules
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2024, 04:29:43 PM »
I skate everyday I can as hard as I can but I’m finally starting to feel the effects of skating for almost 30 years. I’ll skate until I can’t and even then I’m sure I’ll still try to find a way. I’ve been complimenting skating with surfing though and it’s been much easier on my body with the added benefit of being in the best shape I’ve been in for 10 years
fuck you bama

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • sup dog
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2024, 04:53:48 PM »
Expand Quote
I don’t know if anything could ever totally replace skateboarding for me (which is a tough reality), but rock climbing/bouldering is very comparable to me. Problem solving, lots of different techniques to learn, physically demanding, and often requires lots of attempts on the same thing until you finally get it. And there are different levels of “getting it” in terms of style, technique, cleanliness. And if you’re into it you can also take it outdoors vs the gym (street vs park, etc). It also works different parts of your body in case it’s a leg situation you’re dealing with re: not being able to skate.
[close]

that sports kinda gnar, i imagine you could still get injured at the casual level just like skating

i'm currently injured so for me it's been cooking, hitting my weed pen, messaging friends, videogames, reading about random stuff on wiki/internet, music (listening or the occasional jam), hanging with fam n pets
@DMH
I’ve heard great things about rock climbing. And if afraid of heights there’s always bouldering.
@inluv shuvs (I can’t get it to hyperlink mention or whatever) cooking. That is for sure fun. I miss cooking.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 68
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2024, 05:11:44 PM »
Tennis.

Surfing is very comparable.

If injured, play a stringed instrument or hop on Fiverr and get paid to run SQL scripts or do data analysis.

not trying to derail this, but could you message me or I message you about SQL, I am trying to teach myself (total outsider) and think it would be a fantastic skill to learn

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -54
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2024, 06:24:31 PM »
Pick up forklifting and powered industrial equipment preferably of the high reach variety. Same risk reward comparable feelings of accomplishment. Especially if you can end up operating a crane. Seriously though that shit do scratch a weird skateboarding itch for me at times.

For some reason motorsports simulators are always pretty good to scratch that itch as well. Dirt rally and a cheap logitech at even a slow pace will put some hair on your chest and nailing a long track after hours if not days of attempting it definitely checks the same boxes learning hard tricks did. On the same plane of existence is like f1 hotlapping. Not as much risk reward there but you get into these zones that are in a lot of ways similar to the pursuit of a similar trick. In the winter my logictech g92/29 gets as much play as session. Session another good one it's the closet game I think to simulate skateboarding well. You could spend hours on some pretty simple shit and in the end you get the similar feelings of accomplishment. Even zigging in and out of traffic on an arcadey game like forza horizon feels really good and helps me zone out in simalr ways skateboarding would.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2024, 06:38:48 PM »
I picked up sewing recently and I’m kinda bummed I didn’t start earlier in life considering how particular I’ve been about how my clothes fit over the years. I bought a sewing machine and watched a few hours of YouTube videos and now I can practically make any alterations to my pants that I would ever need to. I find the entire process of measuring, pinning, marking, preparing pants for sewing to bring the same gratification that skateboarding has always brought me. I’ll learn a new method of sewing or altering and I’ll just go crazy trying it on different articles of clothing. It also provides a certain level of challenge like skateboarding does.

If any of you guys are also very particular about how your clothes fit, I recommend picking up sewing. I’m hooked

breezy_again

• Rep: 63
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2024, 06:40:51 PM »
darts

slapcurbsnotwomen

• Rep: 22
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2024, 06:48:09 PM »
Fingerboard & Black tar heroin

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 902
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2024, 06:59:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Looking in the mirror when I’m high at night asking “who am I?”

Photography is pretty similar when it comes to spot finding and progression and is something that goes hand in hand with skating. 

I’ve been considering moving closer to the ocean so I can start surfing as I sunset out of skating.   Know nothing about surfing though, can anybody chime in with the parallels and also how it’s different from skating?

Exercise in general

But yeah nothing comes close and I always wonder if most people have never experienced the feeling we get from skateboarding or if they even know that type of connection exists
[close]
I started surfing about eight years ago and I would say it’s something I might have built my life around if I’d started as a kid. I’m not good at it but I can do the basics pretty well.

When you get good enough to catch waves consistently it’s basically like skating a snake run on a cruiser board. It’s so fun.

I’d say the highs might be higher than skating. I’ve had days that still feel magical. Out on the water, suns out, waves breaking perfectly, me surfing well. When it comes together it’s amazing.

Problem is even a somewhat good day is rare. Mostly you’re surfing crappy waves surrounded by assholes fighting to take your crappy wave. Skating is fun much more of the time. That’s my feeling anyway.

That's really the sum of it. Also the longer I surf, the pickier I am as to what constitutes a good wave, whereas a red curb will always be alluring to me. forever. But yeah, a good say surfing proper waves, when you're on your game, that's a high unlike any other I have experienced.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 111
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2024, 07:41:48 PM »
I was drawn to running maybe a decade ago now and I have little phases of being into it. There can be as much focus on technique as you want there to be but with that being said, I like to tune a lot of things out while I’m out for a run. It’s really fun when you’re in a nice environment outdoors. I run in the trails a bit and a lot around the horse community in my town, so more dirt roads and gravel roads. Following your progression is pretty cool. I think that was the jocky component that skateboarding has never possessed that I found intriguing.

It can be difficult to balance both running and skateboarding simultaneously for me though. I think that I’m able to enjoy skateboarding a lot more when I’m not running every day but running can become a bit boring even if I’m running well.

This past week, we’ve all gotten pretty into Galaga at our skateshop. We have a small arcade in the shop and I’ve played it every day that I’ve stopped in. Another fun time in the realm of video games is Animal Well. I downloaded for my Switch and I’m not going to go psycho trying to 100% it but it’s a lot of fun.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2024, 07:51:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Tennis.

Surfing is very comparable.

If injured, play a stringed instrument or hop on Fiverr and get paid to run SQL scripts or do data analysis.
[close]

not trying to derail this, but could you message me or I message you about SQL, I am trying to teach myself (total outsider) and think it would be a fantastic skill to learn

Feel free to DM.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Bobbybanana

• Rep: 12
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2024, 08:10:51 PM »
Bikes, music, art … I dunno. Nothing fully replaces it though….
Hangin' with a cool bunch

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2024, 08:36:48 PM »
closest for me is martial arts...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 56
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2024, 08:40:10 PM »
Graffiti, flyer design, music, photography/videography, scraping with a piece of metal the ledges of your neighborhood… I consider them skateboarding adjacent. In fact, I started playing guitar because I wanted to make punk rock music like the music used in skate videos. Same with photography.

When I couldn’t skate during my childhood I played Tony Hawk video games. Later, when I quit skateboarding because of knee pain, I ride bmx flatland and also tried aggressive inline looking for the same feelings but lower impact. Nowadays, when I can’t skate I just visit SLAP, play Session with my son or buy some deck or skate tee.

RembrantQeinstein

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2024, 08:42:54 PM »
If I could never skate again, I might get into sailing.

A couple years ago, I joined a sailing group and got some lessons.  (If you went through the class, you could use the little sunfish boats anytime for $200 a year)

Getting up to speed and holding a line feels like skateboarding a little bit… the logistics are terrible compared to skating, though.  I hate messing around with gear, which seems like about 70% of sailing.

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2024, 09:18:11 PM »
Expand Quote

Photography is pretty similar when it comes to spot finding and progression and is something that goes hand in hand with skating. 

I’ve been considering moving closer to the ocean so I can start surfing as I sunset out of skating.   Know nothing about surfing though, can anybody chime in with the parallels and also how it’s different from skating?

Exercise in general

But yeah nothing comes close and I always wonder if most people have never experienced the feeling we get from skateboarding or if they even know that type of connection exists
[close]
I started surfing about eight years ago and I would say it’s something I might have built my life around if I’d started as a kid. I’m not good at it but I can do the basics pretty well.

When you get good enough to catch waves consistently it’s basically like skating a snake run on a cruiser board. It’s so fun.

I’d say the highs might be higher than skating. I’ve had days that still feel magical. Out on the water, suns out, waves breaking perfectly, me surfing well. When it comes together it’s amazing.

Problem is even a somewhat good day is rare. Mostly you’re surfing crappy waves surrounded by assholes fighting to take your crappy wave. Skating is fun much more of the time. That’s my feeling anyway.

That last paragraph is so true for surfing, especially here in Florida lol

pattacakenanny

• Rep: 0
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2024, 09:56:17 PM »
pool
rob campbell never dapped u up and it shows

Shtonk

• Rep: -563
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2024, 10:09:32 PM »
This. It's not a safe sport but not as bad a s skating by any means and you get into crazy good shape. Climbing is also the best preparation for surf trips that I've ever found, better than swimming even.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 10:18:32 PM by Shtonk »

Shtonk

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2024, 10:14:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Exercise in general

[close]

Very well put. Surfing for nigh on 20 years now. When you progress into big reef breaks and barrels the highs become transcendent. And you turn into the Chad version of yourself. I've come damn close a couple times to rebuilding my entire life around it. But surfers and surf culture in general are just the absolute worst. So there's that...

Snappyfingers

• Rep: 47
  • AW YEAH
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2024, 10:16:38 PM »
Disc golf definitely
AW YEAH

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -69
  • eight equals d
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2024, 10:18:05 PM »
Gym
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2024, 10:36:12 PM »
Depends of your physical limitations and how close you want to remain to skateboarding. Filming/taking photos is the best way to keep close to skateboarding.
If that's not of your interest somebody said cooking and that seems like a super good suggestion.
Also I feel that when a skateboarder stops skating his health goes to shit and gain a lot of weight in very little time so riding a bike is also a solid thing to do.
Personally I always wanted to climb.
I hope that you can heal from whatever it is that is keeping you away from your board no matter if is physical, psychological or spiritual.
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2024, 11:05:10 PM »
Problem is if you're stopping skating due to an injury or age related wear/tear there's no single hobby that can compare to skateboarding.

Maybe golf has some of the mental challenge and you can look at courses like spots but it's fucking boring.

Cycling keeps you fit and you get to feel speed but it only compared if the way you skated was riding a Longboard from a to b

If you're fit enough to surf, climb, run, hike you can probably still skate

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2024, 11:27:52 PM »
climbing is fun. honestly if it peaks your interest hit up your local indoor. dont dismiss nor overthink the grade system. usually when i go with first timers who dabble with other physical hobbies they tend to overestimate their skillsets and think theyre capable of sending v5s or sum. they then injure or freak themselves out which sometimes leads them to can any interest afterwards. just like skating it’s got it’s own nuances

comparable to skating: shoe madness

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2323
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2024, 11:34:33 PM »
If you’re Geoff Rowley, you kill animals when you’re not skating.
Apparently the rush of snuffing out an unsuspecting life at +75 yards is  a thrill akin to grinding the Staples Center hubba.
I’ll never know, either way.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Keef Hernandez

• Rep: -30
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2024, 11:35:51 PM »
Expand Quote
You might hate it, but the answer is golf
[close]
I have heard this before, but I think this is the only comment mentioning golf in this thread.

I definitely see the parallels.
Golf is a (typically) outdoor sporting activity with social implications/benefits for the majority of participants. Most of the physical challenge stems from technique mastery and the demands of the playing environment. Same potential for fixation on gear to the point of “madness”. Achieving the objective of the sport (staying under par) takes a lot of focus and concentration (and some luck) and is immensely rewarding when done.

What else am I missing?

Golf is for pudgy, entitled, middle aged white boys who are too out of shape and not creative enough to do anything else. If golfing wasn't a thing, and you were just some random guy who loved to tuck in his shirt and wack a little plastic ball around your perfectly manicured lawn with a metal stick, people would fucking laugh at you. Maybe ask you if you need help. Skating / Surfing / Climbing / Cycling / Photography / Music etc. are all objectively sick hobbies, as in, if you were the only person to ever do it, it would still be cool. Golf is for kooks, there's truly so much to be hated about it, the antithesis of skateboarding. Don't get me started on the environmental impacts of golf courses. 

Shtonk

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2024, 12:30:01 AM »
If you’re Geoff Rowley, you kill animals when you’re not skating.
Apparently the rush of snuffing out an unsuspecting life at +75 yards is  a thrill akin to grinding the Staples Center hubba.
I’ll never know, either way.

This is a beautiful post