Author Topic: Can’t skate… comparable hobbies?  (Read 7195 times)

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -564
Re: Can’t skate… comparable hobbies?
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2024, 12:32:36 AM »
Problem is if you're stopping skating due to an injury or age related wear/tear there's no single hobby that can compare to skateboarding.

Maybe golf has some of the mental challenge and you can look at courses like spots but it's fucking boring.

Cycling keeps you fit and you get to feel speed but it only compared if the way you skated was riding a Longboard from a to b

If you're fit enough to surf, climb, run, hike you can probably still skate

I see a lot more men in their late 40s/50s and beyond in the mountains or in the water than I see on a skateboard. And the ones I do see look a lot worse for wear than their climbing and surfing pendants. Definitely different levels of impact.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2024, 01:32:28 AM »
Bike on the pump track

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2024, 01:48:15 AM »
What about that larping thing. Not the one with the real weapons and suits of armour just the costumes and foam swords and magic pouches etc.

Its probably pretty easy on the body and you still have all the dumb little clothing and gear snobbery
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 01:56:15 AM by Mean salto »

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 513
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2024, 01:48:40 AM »
can you fake-steeze on a bike? or at the golf course? or at the climb/boulder knobs? if not then nah

Crust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2024, 02:05:33 AM »
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ) is a great one I find, especially when the weather doesn't permit skating.

The absurd amount of day-dreaming I do for tricks, spots and lines - that same creativity can is filled with BJJ.

Gnar_Gnar

• Rep: 30
  • Don’t give up
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2024, 02:08:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You might hate it, but the answer is golf
[close]
I have heard this before, but I think this is the only comment mentioning golf in this thread.

I definitely see the parallels.
Golf is a (typically) outdoor sporting activity with social implications/benefits for the majority of participants. Most of the physical challenge stems from technique mastery and the demands of the playing environment. Same potential for fixation on gear to the point of “madness”. Achieving the objective of the sport (staying under par) takes a lot of focus and concentration (and some luck) and is immensely rewarding when done.

What else am I missing?

[close]

Golf is for pudgy, entitled, middle aged white boys who are too out of shape and not creative enough to do anything else. If golfing wasn't a thing, and you were just some random guy who loved to tuck in his shirt and wack a little plastic ball around your perfectly manicured lawn with a metal stick, people would fucking laugh at you. Maybe ask you if you need help. Skating / Surfing / Climbing / Cycling / Photography / Music etc. are all objectively sick hobbies, as in, if you were the only person to ever do it, it would still be cool. Golf is for kooks, there's truly so much to be hated about it, the antithesis of skateboarding. Don't get me started on the environmental impacts of golf courses.

See look when you golf, you even get to go back to the glory days of skating with people calling you a loser and to get a real hobby.
Nose slide Crook
Nose slide Crook
Nose slide Crook

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2024, 03:19:37 AM »
Footbag
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2024, 05:08:04 AM »
can you fake-steeze on a bike? or at the golf course? or at the climb/boulder knobs? if not then nah

You can totally fake steeze on a bike, shit its expensive but last
BUT

Many moons ago I stopped skating for a 2 year period to focus on my degree and it felt like nothing could fill that void
The bike helped, for sure, but wasn't the same at least for me.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 28
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2024, 05:26:44 AM »
the hole that skateboarding leaves is difficult to fill with one activity....

1. get a dog - time absorbing like skateboarding.
2. Learn a instrument - like piano - you can dive in yourself for hours.
3. get a bike you can hit the street / dirtpath keep going and searching new places while getting the dog tired.
4. get a girl and learn tango argentino - its not hard to the body and you can do it 4ever - creating moves spontaneously while matching with your partner and the music is similar to creating lines.
5. learn BJJ - its a litte bit gym atmosphere -but in that meeting the guys in the park style watching and learning new moves - heelhooking the purple belt is like giving the E to the skatepark local hero with a switch varial heel flip.

Its not the same - but get you through the pain of not skating

Shtonk

• Rep: -564
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2024, 06:46:49 AM »

You've never seen fake steeze until you've seen a ripped blond-man-bun dude in a purple tie die tanktop and fluorescent green leggings do exaggerated drop-knees on a warm-up route in front of three 15yr old girls.

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2024, 06:55:56 AM »
I picked up sewing recently and I’m kinda bummed I didn’t start earlier in life considering how particular I’ve been about how my clothes fit over the years. I bought a sewing machine and watched a few hours of YouTube videos and now I can practically make any alterations to my pants that I would ever need to. I find the entire process of measuring, pinning, marking, preparing pants for sewing to bring the same gratification that skateboarding has always brought me. I’ll learn a new method of sewing or altering and I’ll just go crazy trying it on different articles of clothing. It also provides a certain level of challenge like skateboarding does.

If any of you guys are also very particular about how your clothes fit, I recommend picking up sewing. I’m hooked

I back this, I’ve been meaning to get a machine for some time. I’d prefer to make alterations to all my clothes fit better fit.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • sup dog
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2024, 06:57:54 AM »
I skate everyday I can as hard as I can but I’m finally starting to feel the effects of skating for almost 30 years. I’ll skate until I can’t and even then I’m sure I’ll still try to find a way. I’ve been complimenting skating with surfing though and it’s been much easier on my body with the added benefit of being in the best shape I’ve been in for 10 years
@tom
I wish I could surf again :( that shit was so great. Great exercise, good for the mental health, doesn’t break your body down like skating does.

I’m 4.5 hours from the beach, and that’s not close enough to really stay in good shape and surf well (whenever there just happens to be surfable waves.)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2024, 07:00:17 AM »
Footbag
@Easy Slider
The only correct choice, I’m afraid.

I even forgot about this as well. Had quite fun circles at work at an old job.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 128
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2024, 07:00:44 AM »
Weightlifting and painting help me when I can’t skate.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2024, 07:02:09 AM »
What about that larping thing. Not the one with the real weapons and suits of armour just the costumes and foam swords and magic pouches etc.

Its probably pretty easy on the body and you still have all the dumb little clothing and gear snobbery
@Mean salto 
Got whacked in the head pretty good the last time I did that. It hurt a lot. I will not be doing that anymore. But it really is interesting that a lot of these suggestions I’ve tried in the past.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 11:55:41 AM by JM »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2024, 07:03:53 AM »
Bike on the pump track
@Hyliannightmare
Not biking, but skating on the pump track, and Evergreen skatepark bumps are calling my name. I may need to give the “street” skating a little rest, and build up the stamina getting the ol’ heart pumping.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2024, 07:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looking in the mirror when I’m high at night asking “who am I?”

Photography is pretty similar when it comes to spot finding and progression and is something that goes hand in hand with skating. 

I’ve been considering moving closer to the ocean so I can start surfing as I sunset out of skating.   Know nothing about surfing though, can anybody chime in with the parallels and also how it’s different from skating?

Exercise in general

But yeah nothing comes close and I always wonder if most people have never experienced the feeling we get from skateboarding or if they even know that type of connection exists
[close]
I started surfing about eight years ago and I would say it’s something I might have built my life around if I’d started as a kid. I’m not good at it but I can do the basics pretty well.

When you get good enough to catch waves consistently it’s basically like skating a snake run on a cruiser board. It’s so fun.

I’d say the highs might be higher than skating. I’ve had days that still feel magical. Out on the water, suns out, waves breaking perfectly, me surfing well. When it comes together it’s amazing.

Problem is even a somewhat good day is rare. Mostly you’re surfing crappy waves surrounded by assholes fighting to take your crappy wave. Skating is fun much more of the time. That’s my feeling anyway.
[close]

That's really the sum of it. Also the longer I surf, the pickier I am as to what constitutes a good wave, whereas a red curb will always be alluring to me. forever. But yeah, a good say surfing proper waves, when you're on your game, that's a high unlike any other I have experienced.
So true with the wave thing.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 189
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2024, 08:09:21 AM »
pool

Shooting pool for sure. It hits some of the same social vibes that a skate session has. Few homies hanging out waiting their turn for a shot while chatting, sipping a drink, or heckling.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mikevsleftlightningtat

• Rep: -5
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2024, 08:49:32 AM »
Fishing is hella fun. I’ve ran into some spots or parks with a pond close by and the fun don’t stop

DERBY

• Rep: 310
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2024, 09:03:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You've never seen fake steeze until you've seen a ripped blond-man-bun dude in a purple tie die tanktop and fluorescent green leggings do exaggerated drop-knees on a warm-up route in front of three 15yr old girls.

lmaoo

also to answer if you can fake steeze on a bike. yes look at the fixed gear community. absolute pissing contest of unlikeable ppl

Sammich

• Rep: 6
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2024, 09:46:59 AM »
Videography/photography. If you're close enough to an art studio try getting into film development. Lots of fun. Art in general.

Perhaps find a trainer or someone that understands what it takes to extend your passion with skating.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 10:17:53 AM by Sammich »

c-dock

• Rep: 16
  • Lurker
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2024, 10:10:36 AM »
EA Skate / Skater XL while listening to songs from skate videos

Lo-fi Explosion

• Rep: 6
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2024, 10:49:29 AM »
Krom, yoyo, draw etc.

v.2.0.0.1

• Rep: 3
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2024, 11:10:13 AM »
When you can’t skate for a long time (or ever again), what are some things you do to fill the gap?

Surfing is alright. The community-culture  sucks compared to skating imo. Plus after only surfing for 15 years and not skating much due to location. It completely ruined my skating for some reason. Getting on top is total mental block due to never doing airs or floaters surfing I think. Only power carving, whacks, and tubes. Might just be me.

But surfing is easier on body once your comfortable in big water.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2024, 11:15:32 AM »
Golf probably has a lot of overlap.  Pool too.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2024, 11:47:45 AM »
Fingerboard & Black tar heroin
Tell me more about this heroin.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2024, 11:49:31 AM »
Depends of your physical limitations and how close you want to remain to skateboarding. Filming/taking photos is the best way to keep close to skateboarding.
If that's not of your interest somebody said cooking and that seems like a super good suggestion.
Also I feel that when a skateboarder stops skating his health goes to shit and gain a lot of weight in very little time so riding a bike is also a solid thing to do.
Personally I always wanted to climb.
I hope that you can heal from whatever it is that is keeping you away from your board no matter if is physical, psychological or spiritual.
@moonordie thanks dog

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2024, 11:51:05 AM »
If you’re Geoff Rowley, you kill animals when you’re not skating.
Apparently the rush of snuffing out an unsuspecting life at +75 yards is  a thrill akin to grinding the Staples Center hubba.
I’ll never know, either way.
@Lou Strux
Is this better than black tar heroin? Someone suggested this heroin stuff and tbh it sounds AMAZING.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2024, 11:52:50 AM »
If I could never skate again, I might get into sailing.

A couple years ago, I joined a sailing group and got some lessons.  (If you went through the class, you could use the little sunfish boats anytime for $200 a year)

Getting up to speed and holding a line feels like skateboarding a little bit… the logistics are terrible compared to skating, though.  I hate messing around with gear, which seems like about 70% of sailing.
@the_dangery_bois
Sailing is the absolute king shit. I love sailing. Almost thought of getting into wind surfing… but, of course there’s a big “entry fee” getting into that.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2024, 11:58:02 AM »
Expand Quote
pool
[close]

Shooting pool for sure. It hits some of the same social vibes that a skate session has. Few homies hanging out waiting their turn for a shot while chatting, sipping a drink, or heckling.
@Coldpizza @pattacakenanny
Oh I am just a moron. I thought you meant swimming pool.

Yeah! Pool is definitely fun. The president at my job bought a smaller house and causally brought his $10,000 pool table into the warehouse for us to play. Been doing that everyday for the last three weeks.