Author Topic: sk8 trick names should be based on shoulders  (Read 990 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
sk8 trick names should be based on shoulders
« on: June 10, 2024, 06:02:44 PM »
let me preface this thread by saying that I do not believe that sk8 trick nomenclature should follow these guidelines, HOWEVER, I am playing sk8vil's advocate here...

when it comes to the gr8 sk8 deb8 of what to call fakie and nollie trick names - for example: fakie back tail vs. fakie ollie to switch front nose, there seems to be a great divide in the skate community about what the proper naming of these tricks are, and these arguments are often accompanied with vitriol, anger, and misunderstanding. while I am of the elk that you cannot pop fakie into a switch trick aka the truth, I can understand why some people would be inclined to call a fakie back lip a fakie ollie to switch front board.

before we continue, let's establish the ground rules - when you pop fakie into a grind/ slide, you land in the regular stance trick - a fakie ollie to "switch nosegrind" is actually a fakie 5-0, because you are doing a 5-0 but going backward because you popped fakie (your stance when riding backward.) because of these guidelines, you can never pop fakie into a switch trick... here's where playing devil's sk8vacote comes into play.

you can pop fakie into a switch trick based on the way your shoulders are facing when you are sliding/ grinding. lets use Gino's infamous nollie 270 to front nose as an example @0:28 seconds:

http://youtu.be/uWJetquoyAU

when he lands in the slide he is positioned, and his shoulders are facing, it is as if he is doing a switch backside tailslide:

because of the position of his shoulders, calling this trick a nollie 270 to switch backside tailslide SHOULD be acceptable. let's take a look at the same trick from Yuto but in an opposite direciton:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UBS3JxMdirk

when Yuto lands into the slide after the nollie 270, his shoulders are positioned as if he is doing a regular stance noseslide. therefore, you would call this trick a nollie 270 noseslide, not a nollie 270 to switch front tail.

the name of the fakie/ nollie trick being done should be dependent upon the way your shoulders are facing.

discuss.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 56
Re: sk8 trick names should be based on shoulders
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 06:29:54 PM »
I think it’s a nose slide too because he is sliding with the foot he had on the nose when popping the trick. Nollie 270 nose slide for me.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 06:35:55 PM »
I’ve always called the Gino trick a Nollie 270 switch back tail. Was it labeled in a mag or by him to be a noseslide? I feel like trick names have always been all over the place a little bit. It’s happening much more in recent years with social media and the newer gen just not being properly taught or people mislabeling tricks. I’ve always been cool with doing Nollie to switch but not Nollie to Fakie or Fakie to switch. For example, Nollie 180 to switch crook. You can also go regular to Fakie, 180 Fakie nosegrind, or regs to switch, 180 to switch crook. 5-0/nosegrind and crooks have always had a blurred territory with pinch variations. My buddy sent me a John Hill video the other day, it reminded me why I’ve never watched his content. He goes off on a 5-0/Suski debate with himself looking into a camera. Claims that a tweaked front 5-0 is now called a front Suski, because he says so. And just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse he’s pronouncing Aaron’s name wrong by saying “Soooski.”

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 10:19:04 PM »
what do we call it when Yuto does it backside?  Hellipop nose slide......

if someone knows what you're talking about...that's all you need....

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 830
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 10:31:03 PM »
I’ve always called the Gino trick a Nollie 270 switch back tail. Was it labeled in a mag or by him to be a noseslide? I feel like trick names have always been all over the place a little bit. It’s happening much more in recent years with social media and the newer gen just not being properly taught or people mislabeling tricks. I’ve always been cool with doing Nollie to switch but not Nollie to Fakie or Fakie to switch. For example, Nollie 180 to switch crook. You can also go regular to Fakie, 180 Fakie nosegrind, or regs to switch, 180 to switch crook. 5-0/nosegrind and crooks have always had a blurred territory with pinch variations. My buddy sent me a John Hill video the other day, it reminded me why I’ve never watched his content. He goes off on a 5-0/Suski debate with himself looking into a camera. Claims that a tweaked front 5-0 is now called a front Suski, because he says so. And just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse he’s pronouncing Aaron’s name wrong by saying “Soooski.”

not to defend john hill but that’s an eastern european last name and “sooski” is pretty much how you’d pronounce it there

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2024, 11:52:08 PM »
any one that calls a fakie ollie switch nosegrind is a fucking dumb fuck.

Same goes for all misnamed tricks.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

burntout

• Rep: -47
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024, 12:04:14 AM »

I did a fakie nose grind 180 out. Note this was frontside. Someone I knew called it fakie suski

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2024, 01:59:46 AM »
while I am of the elk that you cannot pop fakie into a switch trick aka the truth, I can understand why some people would be inclined to call a fakie back lip a fakie ollie to switch front board.

before we continue, let's establish the ground rules - when you pop fakie into a grind/ slide, you land in the regular stance trick - a fakie ollie to "switch nosegrind" is actually a fakie 5-0, because you are doing a 5-0 but going backward because you popped fakie (your stance when riding backward.)

this is an inconsistent application though.

you're saying you can't pop fakie into a switch trick (i agree) but then insisting that you can pop fakie into a regs trick (what you call a fakie back lip doesn't involve a backside approach, and is only a back lip if you think of the skater as being in their regular stance during the slide. if you think of the trick as being fully fakie (as you would for fakie 5-0) then it's a fakie front lip.

i'm not willing to die on this hill. wittgenstein says meaning is usage and i think the sk8 community as a whole is stoked af on ludwig.

besides, even those of us who balk at 'fakie ollie to switch nosegrind' say 'fakie crook' as shorthand for 'fakie ollie to switch crook' so we're all disgusting hypocrites.

all of us.

disgusting.

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 415
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2024, 03:36:43 AM »
So could && swing his shoulders around mid-slide and, without changing anything else, get points for the combo?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 03:43:30 AM by Giftedly Hater’d »

T4T

• Rep: 13
  • fake and lame
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2024, 03:46:30 AM »
So could && swing his shoulders around mid-slide and, without changing anything else, get points for the combo?

He does this inside his mind palace already. A crowd of oldheads chant "Andy! Andy! Andy!". Doug Brown daps him up - sexual style.
schoolteachers can get paid $100k when they get a collab with dragonball

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • sup dog
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2024, 05:23:53 AM »
Doug Brown daps him up - sexual style.

Well that’s incredibly uncomfortable to read this fine morning.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2024, 05:41:30 AM »
I don't adhere to either side of this, I just say what gets the point across the most quickly and universally

I'd say "fakie to switch back crooks" because everyone on both sides of the argument immediately knows exactly what I'm describing and can envision it perfectly whether they agree with the name or not.
(and I'm sorry I'm never going to say "fakie suski grind" or whatever)

EDIT - Question to those kooking this comment, do y'all really say "fakie suski"?
What do you call the trick I described, I'm genuinely curious.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 06:39:59 AM by BurgerCop »

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 79
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2024, 06:16:40 AM »
That's devil's advocating light. Here's a devil's advocate that's willing to burn shit down.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qzr7vkH98Sc

AFX

• Rep: -12
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2024, 06:58:20 AM »
I skate with my feet

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2024, 07:09:37 AM »
No

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2024, 07:38:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I did a fakie nose grind 180 out. Note this was frontside. Someone I knew called it fakie suski

lol well you arent gonna call it a fakie crook right  ;D

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2024, 07:55:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

not to defend john hill but that’s an eastern european last name and “sooski” is pretty much how you’d pronounce it there

Americans, particularly in new england, new york, and new jersey, absolutely change how european language based surnames are pronounced. My last name is a common one like that, french-canadian names get americanized pretty hard- francois is frank-oice, joubert is jew-bert- i am missing some good ones right now but when someone says it european style, people will be like “thats not my name, motherfucker!”
Support your local skate shop

skunty

• Rep: 75
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2024, 08:03:25 AM »
fakie nose grind drop down to switch manny fakie nollie flip out

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
  • Get bent
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2024, 10:03:02 AM »
So where does this leave the whole frontside overkrook/nosegrind thing??
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2024, 11:01:14 AM »
if you look at the kind of people who pioneered skateboarding, it's no coincidence that the trick naming doesnt make sense.

You also have to realize that tricks were invented one by one, for example fakie tricks, without any knowledge that nollie tricks would ever become a thing.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2024, 01:56:00 PM »
Fakie is backwards, nollie is of the nose, switch is opposite footed. There’s no need to change anything.

But… if you wan’t to do all four fs flips, which nollie flip would you do?