Author Topic: tell TWS..  (Read 16711 times)

highgrader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
tell TWS..
« on: May 24, 2007, 08:42:37 PM »
Tell TWS to NOT run US Army and Marines ads in their mag!!! thats the wackest thing ever in a skate mag geared towards the youth... Advertisers!!!(paying big$$ for ads) should threaten to pull ads...
its so lame... if the Army/Marines succeeds in U.S. taxpayers(multi Thousands of $$$$'s of usa citizens money) ad in TWS, that means less kids having fun skating(+ supporting the industry and enjoying life), and more kids off in harms way fighting for the "cause" of bullshit-- higher gas prices and BS corporate interests!!

real skate companies should speak up!  those ads suck and they should not be in a skate mag!!

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
Re: tell TWS..
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 08:44:47 PM »
turning the page always solved that problem for me
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

sleeping.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 08:53:47 PM »
Tell Transworld to stop making videos so regualry. if they made one every 2 years or so, they videos might bring back the same feel as i.e. or feedback.

rootsnsoul

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 09:07:25 PM »
Its in a youth magazine, i think its wrong also.
people get ready...

akimpy0b

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 09:19:50 PM »
yeah i noticed that and i was like wttf they ran eminem ads too and that cartoon naruto ads

biggums mcgee

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »
has anyone else in high school ever gotten a us marines card in the mail with a skateboarder on the front?? or any other skateboarder-related government propaganda?? is transworld the only skateboarding mag that allows US government advertising? if so, I agree with you 200% highgrader

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 10:00:48 PM »
who fucking cares what goes in transworld

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 10:07:29 PM »
im all for it, i hope the army becomes the next handrail and the next wave of retards get blown up instead of posting on here
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

skasta

• Rep: -19
  • §
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 10:11:17 PM »
Tell Transworld to stop making videos so regualry. if they made one every 2 years or so, they videos might bring back the same feel as i.e. or feedback.

i don't mind as long as their giving me some thing to watch... it's not like i buy them... ;D

TheMoneyMellon

• Rep: -1
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 10:33:14 PM »
Of course they're going to run ads in a magazine targeting young people. I would imagine they're not trying to recruit a bunch of 50 year olds... Unless they are, then yes, they definately should pull out of Transworld.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 10:50:49 PM »
Oh they've got it pegged more than just "young people..." Try young risk takers who might not be college bound. They ain't dumb.

floridaishot

• Rep: -5
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 10:53:08 PM »
dumb

hairyarmpit

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 11:36:42 PM »
Oh they've got it pegged more than just "young people..." Try young risk takers who might not be college bound. They ain't dumb.

wow 2 true

G_Feeble

• Rep: -4
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 12:22:06 AM »
Us skateboarders seem to hold other skateboarders to such high standards. Why, because they do what we do, came from where we came from, understand the next guy (to a point) at the park.  Man, skateboarding is a business, now more then ever. These owners & companies are guys like the 15 year old dude posting on this very board, just all grows up now.  They wanna make decent money, skate when they want, feed their families, and try hard not to be considered sell-outs by the skate community. 

IMO - If TWS takes a few bucks from the government then so be it.  99.9% of skaters look at that shit and laugh.  The other .1% would've switched to extreme pogo-ing anyway, let em go to the Army and sweat in a desert or jungle.  Good riddence another less skater holding his board by the trucks posing in the park.  We maybe have to cut these dudes some slack now that they got staff to pay, mortgage to cover and a ship to run.
"Cunnalingus and Communication led to the downfall of that relationship"

goddum

• Rep: -8
  • enjoi ruining skateboarding.
    • enjoi stealing videos avatar image
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 01:20:55 AM »

Will never have the same impact man.  Ty left.
enjoi ruining skateboarding.

natenola

• Rep: 3
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 03:10:50 AM »
I don't really think those ads are gonna convince anyone to throw their board in the closet and go fight a war for oil. and if they do i still don't think an ad in skateboard mag totally changr their view on life.
or maybe transworld can just be broke like skateboard mag and not have any contributers so that every photo is shot by boring ass Atiba.

mbcls

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 04:14:12 AM »
man this is fucking retarted. if someone joins the army does that mean they have to stop skating? i live in a military town and we have a shitload of gi skaters. and one thing they do is spend shit loads of money at the local skateshop. full price. who cares if they run ads. i really dont think thats gonna make someone join. and if someone does join after seeing the ad in tws, good. the more people that volunteer means they wont be drafting cats anytime soon. shit, david reyes brother was stationed in my town, but now hes in iraq. and tws videos are good as fuck

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 07:03:10 AM »
  99.9% of skaters look at that shit and laugh.  The other .1% would've switched to extreme pogo-ing anyway, let em go to the Army and sweat in a desert or jungle.  Good riddence another less skater holding his board by the trucks posing in the park.  We maybe have to cut these dudes some slack now that they got staff to pay, mortgage to cover and a ship to run.

Correction, 99% of skaters look at kooky ads and get annoyed.

"Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha, look at all the milk, army, and deoderant ads in the mag I just bought. Now that's some funny shit." Right.

Ads with skating get some slack, but non-skate ads are annoying and seriously take away from the quality of a mag. Staff costs and mortgages, sure, but do you think these guys are running a charity? How about profit? I would be willing to be skate mag profits are at an all time high. Which is their right--more power to them. But mags shouldn't be supprised when they loose cred in the money hunt. 

fahque

• Rep: 3
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 08:32:21 AM »
milk,hot dogs and marines . what a great combination for skateboarding. man i wish transworld would fold.  thanks for starting the skateboardMag.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
^^^^ so did mine too. Because of this very reason and a few mentioned before.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

Slater

• Rep: -20
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 08:48:47 AM »
the magazine still has tricks and tour articles and all that other shit
big fuckin deal

highgrader

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 09:22:13 AM »
all the non skate ads are wack but at least its not our tax dollars paying for the hotdog and rightguard ads.. thats our tax money paying for Army ads in TWS and those ads aint cheap.. i am sure over $6,000 per page.... fuck that!!  for real, the industry is ours(the skaters) as to what we make it.... if people speak up, the media has to listen...

learn something : 

isaac

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 09:28:35 AM »
if people want to join the ARMY or Mariens, whatever good luck to you. Ads in TWS for the military only appeal to people who are in that mindset already. How much effect it'll have convincing Billy to put down the board for a little while and pick up a gun? Little.

I do think it's pretty lame that TWS would sell ads to the military, but it's owned by TimeWarner, they'll sell ads to anyone.

LastRites

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 09:45:04 AM »
Ah the irony here. I could have easily gone the last decade and hadn't read a TWS, never been into it. As lady luck would have it someone sent me one in the mail and it was this last issue with the two military adds. These two organizations (Army & Marines) do not support skateboarding at all and in fact are very much against it. While I do admit that business is business and a dollar spends the same no matter where it comes from, TWS really did their readers a disservice in running those adds, but that's just an opinion.

*and yeah I lurk the shit out of the slap board, just never feel like posting  :-*

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 09:54:07 AM »
(Army & Marines) do not support skateboarding at all and in fact are very much against it.

oh man, i guess doods should stop wearing these then....
hardly art, hardly starving

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 10:04:43 AM »
*puff* I heard TWS and the government were behind 9/11 too. *hold* There's like a documentary on the High Grade site about it and shit.*exhale*

LastRites

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 10:26:14 AM »

oh man, i guess doods should stop wearing these then....

Camouflage shoes? Dunno, I can't see the picture because the website is "uncategorized" and the Marine server I'm using isn't too cool with those sites

biggums mcgee

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 10:33:31 AM »
if people want to join the ARMY or Mariens, whatever good luck to you. Ads in TWS for the military only appeal to people who are in that mindset already. How much effect it'll have convincing Billy to put down the board for a little while and pick up a gun? Little.

I do think it's pretty lame that TWS would sell ads to the military, but it's owned by TimeWarner, they'll sell ads to anyone.

the thing is, the army is trying to appeal to kids who are unsure what to do with their futures. I know alot of people who have seriously considered joining the military just because they get towards the end of their schooling thing, and are unsure what to do next. like someone said before, alot of us are deatbeats. help with schooling and a "legit career" are something for kids caught in a rut to look forward to. it's just a bummer that indecisive people who could otherwise grow up and actually contribute to society get sucked into the military, and in this case it's through skateboarding. just my two cents

SkateRags

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 03:53:55 PM »
I dont think the problem is about what the military is trying to do its the fact that a mag that was started by a bunch of creative, alterative thinking guys, Mountain, Blender, GSD, is now advertising and accepting money from the government.

blank.

Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 06:19:17 PM »
even if they did pull the ads that doesnt stop the fact that the army regularly visit schools