Author Topic: tell TWS..  (Read 16712 times)

LastRites

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: tell TWS..
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2007, 10:47:28 AM »

JT, you sent this board to a kid the last time he was in Iraq. Now on his second tour there he returned to the place with that deck and he's quite proud of it. Despite his mission there being to go  outside the wire daily to perform security details,  he has been told by both the Marines as well as the Army that SKATEBOARDING is too dangerous of an activity for him to participate in on his down time back at base. Imagine being in a fuckin' war and being told you can't skate because they are afraid that you'll hurt yourself. The point is that people like yourself, big name pros, industry types.....you guys have more influence on young peoples lives than you may realize.

Does "No blood for oil" ring any bells?

Sorry if I do come across as being on an anti-military crusade here but to be honest it's what interest me in life. I think it would be nice to see a supposed skateboarding company like TWS have more integrity to the community that it survives off of, I also think it would be nice to see more skate companies become more active in letting the military know that it is not welcome in our walk of life.

89-90pistons

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2007, 10:51:03 AM »
Expand Quote
If the army ran ads with the geico cavemen, I'd sign up.
[close]

im sure their lawyers are working on the deal as we speak

this picture made my day.

highgrader

• Rep: -3
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »
yo Divac.... anyone you ever know die from smoking weed?  whats wrong with it... we rather kids smoke weed then cigarettes or alcohol cause both are worse for your health then a toke but you are obviously stuck on the legal vs illegal game that corporate america plays for monetary agendas... 

high grade brands just started ads in tws and they are now stopping til the army is out!  the Army is not somethiing we will tolerate in a skate mag geared towards kids ...

TWS is not owned by Time Warner anymore.. TW sold it to some privately run company called Bonner or smoething like that.. no more Time Warner so that excuse is not valid anymore

i totally disagree with Jamies(i suck) stance because fuck it, dont flex anything much less your check book that pays TWS loads of money every month for advertising.. we all have friends at tws.. its nothing against the people that make the mag but its about the money they are taking geared towards enlisting kids to fight and die for unjust causes!!! thats unacceptable and it does nothing for skateboarding.... if you threaten to pull Fallen, Zero, Mystery ads, i am sure they would reconsider how valuable the Army ads are to their scucess!!!! 

its our tax dollars paying for that crap!!! build more skateparks, advertise less wars!!!

bornindabay

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »

JT, you sent this board to a kid the last time he was in Iraq. Now on his second tour there he returned to the place with that deck and he's quite proud of it. Despite his mission there being to go  outside the wire daily to perform security details,  he has been told by both the Marines as well as the Army that SKATEBOARDING is too dangerous of an activity for him to participate in on his down time back at base. Imagine being in a fuckin' war and being told you can't skate because they are afraid that you'll hurt yourself. The point is that people like yourself, big name pros, industry types.....you guys have more influence on young peoples lives than you may realize.

Sorry if I do come across as being on an anti-military crusade here but to be honest it's what interest me in life. I think it would be nice to see a supposed skateboarding company like TWS have more integrity to the community that it survives off of, I also think it would be nice to see more skate companies become more active in letting the military know that it is not welcome in our walk of life.

It's much safer to be ollieing over landmines and weaving thru bullets.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2007, 04:04:24 PM »
yo Divac.... anyone you ever know die from smoking weed?  whats wrong with it... we rather kids smoke weed then cigarettes or alcohol cause both are worse for your health then a toke but you are obviously stuck on the legal vs illegal game that corporate america plays for monetary agendas... 

high grade brands just started ads in tws and they are now stopping til the army is out!  the Army is not somethiing we will tolerate in a skate mag geared towards kids ...

TWS is not owned by Time Warner anymore.. TW sold it to some privately run company called Bonner or smoething like that.. no more Time Warner so that excuse is not valid anymore

i totally disagree with Jamies(i suck) stance because fuck it, dont flex anything much less your check book that pays TWS loads of money every month for advertising.. we all have friends at tws.. its nothing against the people that make the mag but its about the money they are taking geared towards enlisting kids to fight and die for unjust causes!!! thats unacceptable and it does nothing for skateboarding.... if you threaten to pull Fallen, Zero, Mystery ads, i am sure they would reconsider how valuable the Army ads are to their scucess!!!! 

its our tax dollars paying for that crap!!! build more skateparks, advertise less wars!!!

All good points but marketing weed to kids isn't noble. Adults that smoke weed INSTEAD of cigaretts and alcohol cool, whatever. But for kids coming up weed can be a barrier to attaining goals, wheter it be in skating, school, career, whatever. I wish it was leagalized, taxed, regulated but its not. So kids who buy/sell/smoke can get tied up in the legal system with it too.

But again, good points. It's cool you guys are stopping ads--putting your money where your mouth is.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2007, 04:08:43 PM »
haha military free zone, I used to throw up those "FUCK RECRUITERS IN OUR SCHOOLS" stickers all over my high school when they came around.

what a kick

highgrader

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2007, 04:29:28 PM »
word jesco.... a good factor as to why you see less and less of anything weed in satori marketing.... you never see it in the ads and we dont even promote it to kids but people like to just consider satori/high grade stoners so the stigma is not what we are promoting but more so what people associate with satori... we dont promote youngsters to do anything more then skate, live free and seek their own paths in life...

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2007, 06:15:30 PM »

word jesco.... a good factor as to why you see less and less of anything weed in satori marketing.... you never see it in the ads and we dont even promote it to kids but people like to just consider satori/high grade stoners so the stigma is not what we are promoting but more so what people associate with satori... we dont promote youngsters to do anything more then skate, live free and seek their own paths in life...

Right on. And thanks again for stepping up to the plate with TWS. When I ran a shop it was always a pleasure dealing with you guys. Your sales reps were never pushy and always chill with even the smallest orders.

Hopefully other industry heads will follow your lead.

Sheep

• Rep: -10
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »
Some people posting here are so fuckin' naive and narrow-minded it's embarrassing. This thread is making me like Marines over skaters anyday.

highgrader

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2007, 07:35:32 PM »
thus the name "Sheep"... you like marines more then skaters??.... ok, you know whats up.... go follow the herd buddy...

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2007, 09:36:05 PM »
Some people posting here are so fuckin' naive and narrow-minded it's embarrassing. This thread is making me like Marines over skaters anyday.

Explain. Back your shit up.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2007, 11:23:56 PM »
let's all club together and buy al-quaida a page.

sleeping.

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2007, 12:10:34 AM »
haha you thought duffy's double kink grind was fake.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2007, 12:55:40 AM »
Expand Quote
We got too many agendas already, send it to birdo, sounds like something he'd be into.
[close]

But wasn't "anti war" one of your agendas, or are you guys over that? Sounds like a decent fit. And what other agendas are you guys pushing? Somehow I missed it. Christianity? NAFTA?

Don't fear agendas--look at Consolidated. Just make sure your agendas are on-point and don't take yourself too seriously.

My point was, I've never thought about our typical fans being prime Army recruits.
Here are the agendas I was referring to; orphanages in Africa, West Memphis 3, homeless kids in the US, environmental conservation and trying keep our companies sorted.

Birdo is the dude that runs Consolidated, that's why I suggested you sending the "rip out army ads" idea to him.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They just troll places where non-college type people might dwell. That's us.
[close]

Didn't you guys run some anti-war stuff a while back? Could you put pressure on TWS to pull those ads? This is a shitty time in history to repping out the military to stupid kids.
[close]

No one needs to flex, the dudes at TWS will see this thread and maybe they'll agree those ads are wack.
[close]
Yeah right. The guys at TWS are pretty concieted - every issue they put in something about being the best skateboarding magazine, even though they're not. They wouldn't look on this message board. But I digress; they really should pull those ads. I actually really like the idea of getting kids to tear out the ads; maybe you could post something on the Zero site about the ads.

They'll see it, this site is on everyone's radar.
There are some good dudes there, so I don't know who's saying the "we're the best" stuff. I think their claim is the most popular/largest distribution.
"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2007, 12:58:36 AM »
I'd like to hear Transworld's take on military advertising during a time of war. When there's a really good chance young enlistees could get killed or loose a limb in a failing war... And you can bet the TWS demographic ain't enlisting as officers, they'll be on foot patrol no doubt.

Any TWS staffers willing to explain?

Jaimie you say there's no need to flex but I think that's a copout. Blackbox riders attract readers who then digest those ads at the same time. And it's easy to think skaters just laugh at those ads and they're not effective to ease the conscience. But tell me there aren't HS seniors (that read TWS) who live in rural America who wouldn't have a chance to go to college if it wasn't for the GI bill? Or have few employment choices in life: farming, factory work, or the military... The military can look pretty attractive because all their pay is gravy while you're enlisted. They take care of food/housing/medical, the works. I was in Hong Kong a 5 or 6 years ago when a Naval envoy came through and there were a handful of dudes who came ashore looking for skatespots. It happens.

But it shouldn't be just Blackbox flexing. I'd like to see a concerted industry wide flex backed by us, the skate mechendise buying public. Anyone else want to step up to the plate? Consolidated? Blueprint, Cliche? You Euro guys should be heated your riders are being used to recruit US soldiers too.

You puting it all on me is a cop-out, write to 'em or call 'em and use your intelligence to have them re-consider their acceptance of those ads.
I'm not backing the ads, but no one is going to join the army merely based on the fact that they ran and ad in a skateboard magazine and even though our riders may be in the magazine, Chris Cole ain't in the ad. People that are on the edge of joining, might see the ad and think it's cool, while everyone else says those ads are wack as they flip the page. I'm also not knocking anyone that wants to join the army, some people feel like that's there calling and they want to protect an ideal, which I think is amirable.

My board said "no war for oil" and we've had other anti-war boards, so we're doing something with our influence. But all of a sudden, I'm lame because I won't agree to pull our ads if they don't stop accepting the army ads. How's about you quit using me as the scapegoat. I didn't start the war and I’ve outspokenly protested it, but I also don't feel it's right to threaten people with power, especially people that are friends and a major contribution to the skateboard industry.
"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2007, 01:01:09 AM »

Lucian, if this is you, I understand you have strong anti-war beliefs, but personally, I don't think what your suggesting is the best way to handle it. That said, you do what feels right to you and so will I.

LastRites

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »
Nah dude I certainly wasn't trying to dump anything or your shoulders. I suppose it's one of those things that gets lost in translation through the internet. Do I think it would be cool if some of you industry figures let TWS & the others know this stuff isn't kosher? You bet! It's very unfair(of me) to ask someone else to use their influence to support a personal cause however at least attempting to get them to see things in the same light isn't such a bad thing.

I doubt there is anyone around the site that understands the military as well as I do. That knowledge fuels my passion for at least trying to keep the military out of the community. Sure we're only discussing two simple adds here but I'd be willing to bet that there were a few young minds that they have influenced a great deal.

What do adds placed where these were in the mag normally sell for, anyone know?

otis b driftwood

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2007, 08:18:45 AM »
i thought you guys were against censorship?

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2007, 10:03:30 AM »
Quoting "I SUCK!"
"My point was, I've never thought about our typical fans being prime Army recruits.
Here are the agendas I was referring to; orphanages in Africa, West Memphis 3, homeless kids in the US, environmental conservation and trying keep our companies sorted.

Birdo is the dude that runs Consolidated, that's why I suggested you sending the "rip out army ads" idea to him.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All admirable agendas... You probably think I'm busting your balls more than I really am. I know Birdo does Consolidated but I've backed away from the industry except for this message board. And truth-be-told most of the ethical shit that gets crammed down your throat by myself and others is due to the fact that you've bent your ear.

Patriotism is honorable--I've lived out of the country for years which has taken my love for this country to the next level. But somehow patriotism has been twisted into cart blanche for the powers that be. Patriotism is why I care so much about fair trade/immigration/foreign policy. And to the kid who joins the military with his eyes wide open out of love for this country much respect. But the military is desperate for new recruits for a bullshit/poorly planned war. The military has a history of taking advantage of low-income/minority youth and now it's infiltrated skateboarding. And although the current administration seem like dumbshits for the planning of this war, the military psy-ops/marketing folks are genious--they know what works. They've had unlimited budgets and years to develop their teqniques. I guarantee they've researched the skate demographic and found us more suseptable than we realize, Zero buying and otherwise.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2007, 10:43:58 AM »
i thought you guys were against censorship?

highgrader

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »
yo I suck, not lucian here.. not using you or your companies as a copout but your the only one i see on here on this board that actively makes such advertising decisions.. we have already contacted TWS directly about this issue and just putting it on this board was meant for many other industry types to see and think about this and hopefully also stress to TWS that those ads should not be in their mag... just that simple.. we dont want army/marines ads in our skate mags!

bornindabay

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2007, 12:30:46 PM »
I agree with tws pulling those ads. Politically it might be a bad decision but it'd be a decision that shows that they are really down for skating.

SkateRags

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2007, 01:42:56 PM »
I sent them a message. I dont know what good it will do, but the more the better.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2007, 02:51:27 PM »
Here are the two email addresses I pulled of the TWS website... Probably not the best people to contact but it's a start. Can any come up the email addies from higher up? Alright now slap message boarders, channel your hate (productively of course).

[email protected]
[email protected]

I'd just Cc to both addresses and chances are they'll get where they need to go.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2007, 03:12:28 PM »
Nah dude I certainly wasn't trying to dump anything or your shoulders. I suppose it's one of those things that gets lost in translation through the internet. Do I think it would be cool if some of you industry figures let TWS & the others know this stuff isn't kosher? You bet! It's very unfair(of me) to ask someone else to use their influence to support a personal cause however at least attempting to get them to see things in the same light isn't such a bad thing.

I doubt there is anyone around the site that understands the military as well as I do. That knowledge fuels my passion for at least trying to keep the military out of the community. Sure we're only discussing two simple adds here but I'd be willing to bet that there were a few young minds that they have influenced a great deal.

What do adds placed where these were in the mag normally sell for, anyone know?

I get your point and your mission.

The army probably pays 2-3 times what a skate company would, that's why the mags accept ads like this, butterfinger and right guard. It helps balance the overhead/profit when the ads vs. editorial gets tight. I think they do actually deny some ads, well at least they used to, so maybe they can start denying these.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2007, 03:14:06 PM »
Quoting "I SUCK!"
"My point was, I've never thought about our typical fans being prime Army recruits.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All admirable agendas... You probably think I'm busting your balls more than I really am. I know Birdo does Consolidated but I've backed away from the industry except for this message board. And truth-be-told most of the ethical shit that gets crammed down your throat by myself and others is due to the fact that you've bent your ear.

Patriotism is honorable--I've lived out of the country for years which has taken my love for this country to the next level. But somehow patriotism has been twisted into cart blanche for the powers that be. Patriotism is why I care so much about fair trade/immigration/foreign policy. And to the kid who joins the military with his eyes wide open out of love for this country much respect. But the military is desperate for new recruits for a bullshit/poorly planned war. The military has a history of taking advantage of low-income/minority youth and now it's infiltrated skateboarding. And although the current administration seem like dumbshits for the planning of this war, the military psy-ops/marketing folks are genious--they know what works. They've had unlimited budgets and years to develop their teqniques. I guarantee they've researched the skate demographic and found us more suseptable than we realize, Zero buying and otherwise.

Word.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »
Here are the two email addresses I pulled of the TWS website... Probably not the best people to contact but it's a start. Can any come up the email addies from higher up? Alright now slap message boarders, channel your hate (productively of course).

[email protected]
[email protected]

I'd just Cc to both addresses and chances are they'll get where they need to go.

Jamey Stone is one of the heads of advertising and he's a good dude, he'll listen.
[email protected]

(Jamey, sorry to throw you in the fire, but I figured you'd want to hear about this.)

yo I suck, not lucian here.. not using you or your companies as a copout but your the only one i see on here on this board that actively makes such advertising decisions.. we have already contacted TWS directly about this issue and just putting it on this board was meant for many other industry types to see and think about this and hopefully also stress to TWS that those ads should not be in their mag... just that simple.. we dont want army/marines ads in our skate mags!

Word.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 06:38:19 PM by I SUCK! »

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

Did these bounce back? I think they may have new addresses.
I'll try and find an email address for someone relevant and post it asap.

Right on. And if anyone else knows any TWS head email addresses post away.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2007, 06:41:10 PM »

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun 5/27/2007 6:36 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Slap Message board...

Hello Jamey,
I hope all is well.
You may have already heard, but there's a pretty heated thread on the Slap message board regarding the US Army/Marines ads in the new issue.
http://www.slapmagazine.com/Mambo/forum/index.php?topic=13059.0

I defended you guys as much as I could considering I think those ads suck as well, but I posted your email address in order for these dudes to have an outlet.
You may want to check it out when you get a chance and I apologize ahead time if your inbox gets blown up.

Take care,
JT

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2007, 09:36:02 PM »
To: [email protected]

Dear TWS,

I'll keep this short and sweet. Please stop running military ads in Transworld. This is a shitty time in history to let the military use skateboarding for recruitment purposes. Military recruiters are probably smarter than we give them credit for and I'm sure have found the Transworld buying demographic to be a good investment. Young athletic risk takers who might not be college bound sounds pretty ripe to me.

The military has a long history of preying upon lowincome/minority populations, and now has its sights on skateboarders. Not cool. At long as you run those ads I won't buy TWS and will encourage everyone I know to do the same. 

Regards.