Author Topic: This sucks!  (Read 5315 times)

kevbo999

This sucks!
« on: June 23, 2007, 07:06:24 AM »
Okay, so despite living in a city, my town has no good street spots where you don't get kicked out right away.

We do have a fucking incredible skatepark, but they might actually crack down and makes people wear helmets, at the risk of a hefty fine and confiscated board.

If this happens, I might have to quit skateboarding.  I refuse to skate with a helmet.  And I can't skate parking lots and sketchy ass stair sets forever.

TheDraught

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: This sucks!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 07:10:43 AM »
Quit being a crybaby and do something about it. Find new spots, build your own spots, move to a different city.

I kind of get the feeling you're looking for a reason to quit.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 07:11:52 AM »
kev, come on now.

kevbo999

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 07:17:12 AM »
What?  It's a legitimate problem!  I can't go back to skating flatbars and bullshit after having the best park in eastern Canada.  And you know helmets are intolerable.

Peter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 07:25:04 AM »
I skate a burned down fishplant every day. It started off with a little drop and a manny pad, but now we've got an upledge, cement miniramp, and the most perfect ledges for doing lines. Not to sound too Marc Johnson, but skating really is what you make it.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 07:26:16 AM »
Helmets are way more bearable than kneepads...

One thing you cats might want to do is organize and start lobbying your lawmakers... which is way easier than one might think.

We did it here in Louisiana, and we're famous for our shitty bureaucracy. Basically, you'll want to fight for a legal statement placed on the books that effectively calls skateboarding a dangerous or possibly hazardous activity... in such a manner that skateboarders assume liability for any injuries they incur while riding. On top of that, this will give other towns/cities in your area an incentive to build even more parks... just as long as the wording of the legislation declares that local governmental bodies (towns and cities) have the ability to declare certain public properties as OK-to-skate areas. That way a town can build a park and not have to worry about a bunch of legal experts figuring out how to deal with potential injuries on the property of a public park. In your case, it would allow you to skate without pads.

Another benefit that might be appealing to some public entities is that with a change in the law, public parks can save money by not having to have park monitors (nannies). The deal is, even if there are laws on the books that declare skateboarding hazardous (removing liability from the government), if a city employee (or city contracted employee) is hired to monitor the skating, then they make the legal condition null and void, since an "agent of the state" is there observing the skating at the park. It's the same thing as having "no lifeguard on duty/swim at your own risk" situation, making it impossible to sue a lifeguard that isn't there, in a place that clearly states that the person using the park is responsible for him or herself.

Note: All of this applies to us down in the states, but I imagine the situation is similar up there.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 07:28:48 AM by grimcity »

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 07:29:36 AM »
What?  It's a legitimate problem!  I can't go back to skating flatbars and bullshit after having the best park in eastern Canada.  And you know helmets are intolerable.

Well if I had to choose between skating the best park in Eastern Canada with a helmet and quitting skateboarding, I'd damn sure get myself used to a helmet real soon.

hamboner

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 07:36:36 AM »
Find new spots, build your own spots, move to a different city

because the motherfuck I can

Maple Syrup

• Rep: -16
  • rhymenoceros
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 07:45:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well if I had to choose between skating the best park in Eastern Canada with a helmet and quitting skateboarding, I'd damn sure get myself used to a helmet real soon.

yeah, if you have the best park in eastern canada, then you have it a lot better off than most people even if you have to wear a helmet.

kevbo999

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »
Did helmets become cool lately?  Are we forgetting that they're extremely uncomfortable, and any trick landed with a helmet on looks fucking lame?

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 08:04:11 AM »
Build your own shit, Kev. Concrete is not that expensive. Sometimes, you have to DIY.
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

eastview25

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 08:04:36 AM »
I do not understand the helmet at parks rule.  If you are over 18, you should be able to sign a waiver to the effect of, "I am an adult.  I am skating your park.  If I get hurt in anyway, it's all on me."  Our park is run by the county and requires helmets, but I can go play football, baseball, tennis, bicycle, rock climb or whatever on other county run facilities with no safety gear and no waivers. 

I think it breaks down to people who don't understand skateboarding mistakenly thinking it's way more dangerous than it is.  I've been skating for 15+ years and my worst injuries are sprained ankle/wrist, heel/palm bruises, busted lip, and some bad hippers.     

alongway

• Rep: -3
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 08:05:59 AM »
Did helmets become cool lately?  Are we forgetting that they're extremely uncomfortable, and any trick landed with a helmet on looks fucking lame?
your also doing tricks at a skatepark, so good 99 percent of the time any tricks done there is lame. i guess

kevbo999

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 08:16:57 AM »
I do not understand the helmet at parks rule.  If you are over 18, you should be able to sign a waiver to the effect of, "I am an adult.  I am skating your park.  If I get hurt in anyway, it's all on me."  Our park is run by the county and requires helmets, but I can go play football, baseball, tennis, bicycle, rock climb or whatever on other county run facilities with no safety gear and no waivers. 

I think it breaks down to people who don't understand skateboarding mistakenly thinking it's way more dangerous than it is.  I've been skating for 15+ years and my worst injuries are sprained ankle/wrist, heel/palm bruises, busted lip, and some bad hippers.     

EXACTLY.

Evil Kraken from the Arctic Sea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Hi SlapPal!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 08:40:53 AM »
DIY.
What does that mean? oohh wait, I figured..do it yourself? now if someone tells me what abp means, I´m happy...I know I used abp myself, but I have no clue.
I'll go frontside on some tranny for you.

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 08:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote
DIY.
[close]
What does that mean? oohh wait, I figured..do it yourself? now if someone tells me what abp means, I´m happy...I know I used abp myself, but I have no clue.
Do it yourself and anal butt plug. Maybe also "already been posted".

And Kev, you really sound like you're looking for a reason to quit. You'd probably have your balls fall off when you saw what I skated most of the time. The city I live in is a shithole, skatewise, but sometimes that's what makes you get creative and brings the fun back.

ABG442

• Rep: 5
  • QC lovin'
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 08:50:35 AM »
You're too worried about how you look. Who gives a shit. Try skating for fun instead of your image.

Like Shawn said, helmets are much more bearable than full pads. Try doing shit with knee pads on, then complain about a helmet.

clarkie

• Rep: 23
    • Real Skate avatar image
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 10:02:18 AM »
Yeah, what grim said. Cities are more liable the more laws they enforce, especially if they supervise.

Your city heads need to be educated. Throw some statistics at them. Someone from Skaters for Public Skateparks posted stats here on deaths last year, 40 something and most all outside of skateparks. Let them know that helmet enforcement is going to drive skaters out where there is higher risk of danger. The stats for injuries inside skateparks are very low. In fact stats for all injuries place skateboarding low taking into consideration how may skateboarders there are today. Team sports are the highest and there is no legislative gear requirement. In fact, at least in Cali there is no gear requirement for any sport. Let them know that street and park skating does not require helmets and especially not pads. Tell them to tune in to the Mt. Dew Games going on now, and they will see there is not a gear requirement. Same with X-Games. Point out that most injuries happen to ankles, arms, and hips.

One thing I worry about is that since there are so many injuries and deaths outside skateparks (mostly hit by cars) statistics now probably do not specify whether it was in a park or on the streets. I'm sure emergency rooms just report that they were skateboarding. Stats will work against us if they are not reported accurately reflecting the terrain.

Here is the hardest part; getting a large majority of skaters to back you up. Petitions, going to the meetings, letters to city officials, etc. That's the only way to get action because that's how government works. Mob rules. They aren't going to make any changes if only one person  is fighting for it. But they have to listen to their constituents (that's you) they represent as a majority. YOU voted them in, now they need to represent YOU. That's another issue, skaters need to vote and be a part of the process or you are powerless and unrepresented.
Good luck!

SeanaPaul

• Rep: 4
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 10:27:46 AM »
The Former Skateboarder Known As Kev
This is bizarre it is like he is just taking the Krew/Supra approach to marketing, but using it in his own pursuit of sponsorship letting the lifestyle shots do all the work.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 11:12:53 AM »
Okay, so despite living in a city, my town has no good street spots where you don't get kicked out right away.

We do have a fucking incredible skatepark, but they might actually crack down and makes people wear helmets, at the risk of a hefty fine and confiscated board.

If this happens, I might have to quit skateboarding.  I refuse to skate with a helmet.  And I can't skate parking lots and sketchy ass stair sets forever.

they always talk like they're going to start enforcing shit...but i bet it never happens....

even if it does...it's usually not cops enforcing it...it's parksboard people and you can usually just run away from those guys...

picklesickshuv-it

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 12:17:30 PM »
canadiens are babies

hamhead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -8
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
What skatepark are you talking about? Missisaggua? Did I even spell that right?

artless

• Rep: 22
  • PFFT!
    • PFFT! skate stuff avatar image
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 02:22:05 PM »
Wear a hockey helmet?

It sucks they'll enforce such lame ass rules to anyone over 18... In Miami bikers (like motorcyclists) don't have to wear helmets. Maybe wear a biker helmet with that spike on top and just head butt any cop wanting to enforce shit

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 03:12:51 PM »
if your willing to quit over that, go ahead. skateboarding doesnt need you milking it for your own self esteem and coolness. just start playing sports and wearing dc's and board shorts all the time and youll fit right in with the rest of em. its all about belonging isnt it.

skate for yourself..............even if its doing standing flatground on a piece of plywood in the forest................been there done that

leeroy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 03:24:52 PM »

You skate for looks?
"The Night Of The Vampire"

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 03:27:55 PM »
quit
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 03:33:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You skate for looks?
seriously, what a fuckin fag! It's not like I would be psyked to go buy myself a helmet, but if I had to do it to skate the park I'd do it in a heart beat....

You suck kev!

k-nutz

• Rep: 49
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 03:35:13 PM »
HELMETS SAVE LIVES!!

no, but the park on campus makes us wear 'em.  who cares.  you get used to it.

kevbo999

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 03:36:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You skate for looks?

I think of skating as an art form, I try to make my art look good, not all dorky and protected by a CSA approved piece of plastic.  So sue me.  Are you a die hard Rodney Mullen or Todd Falcon fan or something? 

But seriously, am I the only one here who thinks skating just wouldn't be the same, if you couldn't even skate to work without a helmet?  I won't quit, I hoped to skate until I was in my forties, but I really don't want to wear a helmet.  And I don't want to pay big fines and have my board stolen for not doing so.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 04:11:30 PM »
i would deal with any amount of bullshit possible if it means i can skate. helmets suck but weve all worn one to skate something at one point in our lives.........................and skateboarding isnt anything..................its not art................its not a sport.................its skateboarding. just fuckin skate, screw everthing else.