Author Topic: Trick Tips  (Read 137658 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Trick Tips
« Reply #240 on: May 24, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
word, childoftheghetto

wow, your so lonely that you have to side with the biggest douche bag in slap....

im sorry GWB, we dont have trick tips for how to tick tack, pop shove sex change and how to be a decent person overall....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ChildoftheGhetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #241 on: May 24, 2008, 11:45:14 PM »
Expand Quote
word, childoftheghetto
[close]

wow, your so lonely that you have to side with the biggest douche bag in slap....

im sorry GWB, we dont have trick tips for how to tick tack, pop shove sex change and how to be a decent person overall....
Is it his fault that you guys don't know what the fuck you're doing? You guys try and get on him to fit in. All that does is make you look even lamer than you already do.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #242 on: May 25, 2008, 12:33:31 AM »
meh.....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »
any secrets to switch front shoves? i can do em normally but something doesn't work for me on the switch ones, i can't seem to do them at all.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2008, 09:18:51 PM »
any secrets to switch front shoves? i can do em normally but something doesn't work for me on the switch ones, i can't seem to do them at all.

i remembered the secret to shove tricks last weekend...it's all about having the popping foot in the exact middle of the nose/tail, toe-to-heel-wise.  i'm not sure how much it matters if it's towards the tip of the nose/tail or the pocket, but i like mine more towards the pocket than a normal ollie.  i'd been struggling forever trying to get switch front shoves back and reg front shoves decent (i think i even asked about it a few pages ago), and it finally clicked -- popped and flat, every time.  just keep the ball of your foot just inside the pocket, close to the bolts.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2008, 06:38:33 AM »
i wrote a trick tip on fs shoves a couple a pages back in this thread....  same principles apply....

strangely my friends can never do them normal but have no problem doing them switch....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Rusty Champignon

« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2008, 06:42:59 AM »
varial heels? Ive been landing on them but can't really ride away properly

skaterdavid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »
strangely my friends can never do them normal but have no problem doing them switch....

Yeah for some reason they are easier for me switch than regular...

The best advice is to keep them
popped and flat

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2008, 09:11:50 PM »
i wrote a trick tip on fs shoves a couple a pages back in this thread....  same principles apply....

yeah, your front foot advice helped a lot as well

i go back and forth though, some days they're good switch, some days regular, weird

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
  • Back?
    • Divine Clothing & Design avatar image
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2008, 09:50:55 PM »

I learned them switch first. They've always been super easy switch. I didn't learn regular ones until a few years ago.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: June 06, 2008, 11:14:34 AM »
frontside nosegrinds anyone??  proper ones that you balance and can grind for long distances....

i can do shitty ones where you wax the shit out of the ledge and go super fast and just muscles the exit, but i want to learn them proper that people like chris roberts or biebel do....

i have a decent nose manny and i tried ollieing from the front end of the box but still no good....

anyone willing to share their secrets to this elusive trick?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

guy le douche

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #251 on: June 06, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »
i dont think there's any 'secrets' learning how to do proper nosegrinds, it's more about just getting comftorable trying longer nosegrinds and keeping your balance. just keep practicing them and you'll get it eventually.

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »
^truth, all i got is stay square on top of it, or try it on a really sharp ledge, it tends to be harder learning them or a rounded ledge, being prone to falling off it.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #253 on: June 07, 2008, 12:56:02 AM »
^ truths

and do a lot of nose manny's if you really despise your nose dragging on the grind
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

guy le douche

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: June 07, 2008, 01:49:46 AM »
^truth

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2008, 05:05:37 AM »
^truth, all i got is stay square on top of it, or try it on a really sharp ledge, it tends to be harder learning them or a rounded ledge, being prone to falling off it.

worked on them today and if i may add a few pointers for future readers of this thread, i would say this:

speed, go slightly faster than you normally would
wax, loads helps
dont ollie too high into a nosegrind, ollie just high enough to have your front truck on the ledge and nose manny it... i literally had to force myself to stick my front foot closer to the front bolts to prevent myself from ollieing too high, which really did help....

thanks for your help guys, gnars all around!! hope this info is helpful to someone....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:37:38 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #256 on: June 09, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »
i can do switch FS shuvs( pretty terrible) but haven't landed a regular one in ages. 
actually i don't find myself skating flatground at all these days. 
i've been skating ledges, trannies, and mannies. 
fliptricks have become brain numbingly boring to me as of late. 

crapface

« Reply #257 on: June 11, 2008, 07:29:45 AM »
Anybody got tips on blunt kickflip out on a quarterpipe?  Everytime I lock in and go for the flick, it just doesn't feel right, and I can't get the same pop out as I do with a normal blunt.
Okay I'm no master on these so I can't guarantee that this will work. First of all you have to be able to do blunts and kickflips which you obviously can. I'll try to do the blunt on these as fast as I can so I don't have time to think what happens next. Just kinda let it flow or something. You have to pop out harder than from a normal blunt so the board will come with you back to the ramp and not land on the coping or on top. Like doing a big ollie out of a blunt but only flipping it. My problem is usually that I can't get myself to land these so I'll try to think something motivating like "what would Cardiel do?" then I realize that I'm just a big pussy and make myself land it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. After you have done it and are really stoked and feel like a winner you must go home and watch cheese and crackers once again and realize how fucking amazing those guys are with their wooden sticks. I guess that's all. Good luck with them!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 07:32:28 AM by crapface »

gravel pitch

« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »
Ok, I was an underprivileged child, so I skated for like five years before I went to a skatepark for the first time, and still after eight years rarely go, but I decided to make the initiative to start going more often, and learn tranny and stuff.

I got the hang on mini-ramps, I can usually do 10 or so tricks before I run out of speed, but what I don't really get is how to pump up straight tranny. There's this pyramid I've been trying to ollie, but I can't get speed because i seem to loose it all as soon as I start rolling up it. any advice on how to use straight trannies to get speed? I know this shit is regular and something everyone learns when they're 12, but i'm tryin here!

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #259 on: June 18, 2008, 09:07:24 AM »
Ok, I was an underprivileged child, so I skated for like five years before I went to a skatepark for the first time, and still after eight years rarely go, but I decided to make the initiative to start going more often, and learn tranny and stuff.

I got the hang on mini-ramps, I can usually do 10 or so tricks before I run out of speed, but what I don't really get is how to pump up straight tranny. There's this pyramid I've been trying to ollie, but I can't get speed because i seem to loose it all as soon as I start rolling up it. any advice on how to use straight trannies to get speed? I know this shit is regular and something everyone learns when they're 12, but i'm tryin here!

i don't know what skatepark you're hitting up but its sounds like the pyramid at riverside park on 108th. 

when you drop in you gotta pump on the way down.  i don't know how to verbally describe "pumping" but its more or less generating speed shifting your body weight and using your legs/weight towards the bottom of the transition. 
you gotta get light footed rolling up/down it, then use your body weight and straighten you legs a bit when you get towards the bottom to generate some extra speed.
if you still don't have enough speed, get some strong pushes in there and hope you can setup fast enough for the ollie or whatever trick you're trying.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2008, 12:18:38 PM »
bs powerslides anyone?

like you're fs boarding an invisible flat bar

This is probably the dumbest tricktip request to surface yet, but I've always thought they look super sick, and I've had to avoid bombing hills with a backside curve cause I'd most certainly eat shit.
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

gravel pitch

« Reply #261 on: June 20, 2008, 12:21:15 PM »
Just lean forward a lot, and as you slow down you'll feel yourself start to fall back, then you straighten out. It's more about committing and pushing it through then anything

TK17

« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2008, 06:54:16 AM »
Nollie flips over hips.
Any tips?
Too much rhyming there but I'm serious; I can't seem to get set up for them.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: July 10, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »
Nollie flips over hips.
Any tips?
Too much rhyming there but I'm serious; I can't seem to get set up for them.

Just do like, a shit load on flat, like ten a day on flat for a week or two till you can ride in the nollie flip position with decent speed without uncontrollably turning towards your toe-side, also practicing nollie flips with your flick foot closer to the center of the board rather than hanging off the edge will make it easier, otherwise when you hit the tranny, your body will compress and the placement of the ball of your foot will cause your board to turn and throw you off balance before you get to the edge.

Once you can do em' at a decent speed with the flick foot in the proper position, you should be good to go, just hit it with enough speed and sorta huck the board forwards when you pop so that you and the board both clear the hip. Also finding a reeeeal mellow hip should help you adjust comfortably durring these akward transitional nollieflip times we're in.

bs hurricaines on tranny? (like the bs boardslide way) I can only do them if I ollie into em', which just doesn't feel right. I see people just man-handle their way into the grind, and it just makes me really insecure about my penis size.

Fredwierdo

« Reply #264 on: July 15, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »
I have issues with switch flips. I cant keep the board under while its flipping it always flys forward

ccc333

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
  • ohyeah
« Reply #265 on: July 16, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »
360 front shuvs anyone?  I can front shuv but when I try 360, I cant keep it under me or even get the proper rotation. help?

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: July 17, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »
360 front shuvs anyone?  I can front shuv but when I try 360, I cant keep it under me or even get the proper rotation. help?
instead of trying to spin it underneath you, try to have it spin out in front of you.  i see people trying this trick a lot and it almost always goes behind them or they get lucky and stays right under them.  if you lean back a little and push the board out in front so you can spot the landing, it makes it much easier to see, catch, and roll away. 
hope that helps.     

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: July 18, 2008, 09:08:37 AM »
inward heels anyone??  i started fooling around with them today and my friend told me that you need to scissor kick it in order to catch it....

thanks....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »
http://www.theberrics.com/buttery.php

ccc333

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
  • ohyeah
« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
haha sick i love butteryass mondays.  good lookin out man