Author Topic: Trick Tips  (Read 137685 times)

jildo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • my blog? avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Trick Tips
« Reply #330 on: April 02, 2009, 08:53:39 PM »
how the fuck do you go about doing front tails on transition?

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2009, 05:07:40 AM »
start off doing fs 5-0's and/or slasher grinds, once you're confident with those, just try man-handling it and push your tail up into the mix

I thought this trick was impossible for the longest time, but it turned out to be one of those tricks that're 90 percent additude, 4 percent skill and 6 percent beer gut. Just listen to a lot of the stooges and black flag before trying it and everything should go swimmingly.

if this advice doesn't help you, i don't know what will.
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

Hola

• Rep: 56
  • 2NE1
« Reply #332 on: April 05, 2009, 06:36:44 AM »
start off doing fs 5-0's and/or slasher grinds, once you're confident with those, just try man-handling it and push your tail up into the mix

I thought this trick was impossible for the longest time, but it turned out to be one of those tricks that're 90 percent additude, 4 percent skill and 6 percent beer gut. Just listen to a lot of the stooges and black flag before trying it and everything should go swimmingly.

if this advice doesn't help you, i don't know what will.

yeah, it doesnt take long to learn

the best advice ive ever heard for all tranny tricks is to just pretend to be John Cardiel, and just go for it no matter how scary or uncomfortable it is.  if you fall, slide down the tranny

that advice really helped me with my 2 inch airs and beanplants

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #333 on: April 19, 2009, 02:19:32 AM »
bs nosegrinds anyone?  i dont know where to aim my front truck and how to keep the pressure on the nose.... every time i try the trick i end up in a bs 50-50... i can do them decently frontside, but backside just boggles my mind....

thanks in advance...
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ZipZinger

« Reply #334 on: April 20, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »
I had problems with this trick and then eventually started putting more weight on my front heel and would come straight on with the ledge and then it worked. Try that and see if it works out for you.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #335 on: April 21, 2009, 06:12:48 AM »
I had problems with this trick and then eventually started putting more weight on my front heel and would come straight on with the ledge and then it worked. Try that and see if it works out for you.

does it help that i can do bs crooked grinds consistently?  as in approach like you would for a crooked grind, but just turn your back foot into so you whole board and body are grinding parallel and on top of the ledge?  or is it a completely different trick??

thinking about tricks this way helps me understand them and feel less like a pussy when trying them...
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: April 21, 2009, 06:59:30 AM »
If the ledge is smooth enough of a grind and has a beginning and end, try doing a ton of nosemannies and get progressively closer to the edge till you start grinding them. The trick feels almost identical to a nose manny, except there's the resistance of the grind you have to push against a little.

Doing them straight-on like a manny is a million times easier and best for learning, plus if you approach a little bit more from the inside, you'll be poised to wenning out of it. For the longest time, every time I tried backside nosegrinding a ledge in the middle, my body would turn uncontrollably and I'd have to bs revert out.

Hopefully this helps you in your nosegrind pilgramage
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #337 on: April 21, 2009, 11:09:20 AM »
bs nosegrinds anyone?  i dont know where to aim my front truck and how to keep the pressure on the nose.... every time i try the trick i end up in a bs 50-50... i can do them decently frontside, but backside just boggles my mind....

thanks in advance...

snowplow your nosegrinds.
keep your balance centered just like a FS nosegrind but push the nose all the way down and just snowplow it.  once you get a feel for the trick and you do can do them consistently, then try to balance them perfectly. 
i see tons of people trying to learn perfectly balanced 5-0s and nosegrinds and they almost always fail.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »
If the ledge is smooth enough of a grind and has a beginning and end, try doing a ton of nosemannies and get progressively closer to the edge till you start grinding them. The trick feels almost identical to a nose manny, except there's the resistance of the grind you have to push against a little.

Doing them straight-on like a manny is a million times easier and best for learning, plus if you approach a little bit more from the inside, you'll be poised to wenning out of it. For the longest time, every time I tried backside nosegrinding a ledge in the middle, my body would turn uncontrollably and I'd have to bs revert out.

do u mean start grinding from the very start of the ledge? and not in the middle of it?  somehow, approaching a trick like that always scares the fuck out of me and i cant wrap my mind around doing a trick like that... same for noseblunt slides.... i know that ppl always do them from the very start of the ledge, but i freak out when i approach the ledge head on and when i try to approach from the side, i eat shit...

anyway thanks for the advice guys, ill give it a whirl this weekend....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

nkarasch

• Rep: -29
« Reply #339 on: April 22, 2009, 09:53:24 PM »
backside 360's, wtf?

Hola

• Rep: 56
  • 2NE1
« Reply #340 on: June 15, 2009, 05:19:53 AM »
backside 360's, wtf?

i learned those this month, so i suck at them but ill tell you what helped me.

usually when i tried it i would just spin in the air and my board would be doing something completely different.
my friend told me to keep my shoulders and the bolts parallell until i hit the 270 degree point and then spin my feet faster than my shoulders at the last second (pivot).  it works but its not so pretty when i do it.

i have never done a back smith on a ledge in my life.  i tried for an hour today.  any advice??

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: June 15, 2009, 10:23:07 PM »
^
I tend to pop and put my back truck in before dipping it, that way the kingpin doesn't stick immediately when you get in. And you can then sorta adjust your weight so that you're leaning far back and a little bit away from the ledge, this way you're able to power through the resistance of the ledge and your kingpin's player haterism.

Expand Quote

[close]

do u mean start grinding from the very start of the ledge? and not in the middle of it?  somehow, approaching a trick like that always scares the fuck out of me and i cant wrap my mind around doing a trick like that... same for noseblunt slides.... i know that ppl always do them from the very start of the ledge, but i freak out when i approach the ledge head on and when i try to approach from the side, i eat shit...

anyway thanks for the advice guys, ill give it a whirl this weekend....

Any luck? Yeah doing it from the beginning of the ledge can be sorta sketchy, especially if it's real long since that means you're manning up to grinding the whole thing. I think when I learned bs nosegrinds it was on a plastic bench like 6ft long and 14 inches tall, so making the leap from nose manny to nosegrind wasn't too terrible. Just stay light on your feet so you can escape if you miss the edge and get into nose manny on accident, that'll happen a ton until you get good at aiming for the grind.

ps. coming from the inside/straigt on also makes bs nosegrind pop-outs a world easier if you ever get around to wanting to get your wenning on

youngblood

« Reply #342 on: July 04, 2009, 03:54:38 AM »
360 pop shuvs?

i had the fuckers a while ago. i did some that felt as clean/easy as tres, then just completely lost them. now they always flip or i can make them do the right spin but i'm not completely over it. i used to just focus on my back foot, like a pop shuv and jump higher. shit doesn't work anymore though.

front bigspins are fucked, too. everyone here seems to hate them but i'd love to have them, can't even land on them.

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #343 on: July 07, 2009, 02:19:23 AM »
front crooks to regular? i got 'em to fakie, but it's so weird trying to pop out to regular.

Jonorhea

« Reply #344 on: July 11, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »
nose manuals and feeble grinds?

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #345 on: July 12, 2009, 01:11:38 AM »
360 pop shuvs?

i had the fuckers a while ago. i did some that felt as clean/easy as tres, then just completely lost them. now they always flip or i can make them do the right spin but i'm not completely over it. i used to just focus on my back foot, like a pop shuv and jump higher. shit doesn't work anymore though.

front bigspins are fucked, too. everyone here seems to hate them but i'd love to have them, can't even land on them.

frontside bigspin- front foot should be near the bottom 2 front bolts with the ball of you foot hangin off. back foot goes on the opposite side of the deck in the pocket of the tail, but not hanging off too much, lets say about 5050. when you pop the tail, don't just kick your back foot down, kick it in front of you also. Kind of a reverse scoop. when the board has spun about 270 you'll want to catch it with your front foot and finish bringin the back foot back onto the board and maybe try to land a bit on the front truck to finish the last 180 if you can't quite get it all in one motion, but the less pivot the better. also, just try to throw the shove it the full 360 instead of it being a front shove late 180 or something because your body does the turning while the board spins. uhm....yeah just imagine carroll or brock doin one.

hopefully some part of that helps.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #346 on: July 24, 2009, 04:32:20 PM »
any no comply tricks besides 43s (both shifty and non) and no comply front/pop shoves. i'm trying no comply 360 front shoves and f/s bigspins but i can't really get them. i get confused with the front bigspins because it looks so odd if you're watching your board. specifically i wanna learn b/s 180s or 360s. thanks

BFKskateboards

« Reply #347 on: July 24, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »
any help with back bigspins? i can't get the last 90 of the body. i have the shove popped high, i catch it fine but i can't complete the b/s 180 with  a nicely popped and under me shove. thanks.
[/quote
if ur like me and do impossibles like really fast 360 shuvs, pretend your doing a bs 180 impossible.

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #348 on: July 25, 2009, 01:59:02 AM »
Expand Quote
backside 360's, wtf?
[close]

i learned those this month, so i suck at them but ill tell you what helped me.

usually when i tried it i would just spin in the air and my board would be doing something completely different.
my friend told me to keep my shoulders and the bolts parallell until i hit the 270 degree point and then spin my feet faster than my shoulders at the last second (pivot).  it works but its not so pretty when i do it.

i have never done a back smith on a ledge in my life.  i tried for an hour today.  any advice??
go fast, pop and keep your shoulders parrallel to the ledge. put the back truck on and keep your weight on itand slowly let your front truck down.  i know it's not the best advice, but if you go fast, you won't be sticking as much

magicstickyhand

• Rep: 1
« Reply #349 on: July 25, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »
nose manuals and feeble grinds?
beer
i think i was,anyways

youngblood

« Reply #350 on: July 27, 2009, 02:20:29 AM »
front crooks? i kind of get into them, but on a ledge with no ending so its hard as fuck to come out. hopefully once some ledges with a beginning and ending get built here at the park i can come outta them.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: July 27, 2009, 01:06:28 PM »
^ having an end to just grind off of helps a ton, popping out back to regular is sort of a step beyond just doning the trick

the best word of advice I could give is to keep your shoulders parallel to the ledge no matter what, this makes pushing the grind easier, and you won't be inclined to go to fakie or just lazily fall out of the grind, and try to keep your heel from touching the ledge, as that will make you stick up every time

starvingrobot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 25
  • Keep It +
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #352 on: July 27, 2009, 10:59:01 PM »
I need somebody, HELP!

youngblood

« Reply #353 on: July 28, 2009, 02:00:55 AM »
^ having an end to just grind off of helps a ton, popping out back to regular is sort of a step beyond just doning the trick

the best word of advice I could give is to keep your shoulders parallel to the ledge no matter what, this makes pushing the grind easier, and you won't be inclined to go to fakie or just lazily fall out of the grind, and try to keep your heel from touching the ledge, as that will make you stick up every time

definitly, like i can barely pop out of a crook if there's no ending. that's hard as fuck.

hell yeah, thanks. ledges should be ready to skate by the weekend. i've had front noseslides and nosegrinds forever so its about time i get this trick down. thanks.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: July 30, 2009, 05:03:25 PM »
no problem, man

can anyone here do the whaley flip (no comply big heels)? I've been doing a lot of no compy fs bigspin variations but can't figure out how to flip it at all, but I'm really in love with the way they look when other people do them

trafficjam

« Reply #355 on: July 30, 2009, 08:56:35 PM »
just have your back foot all the way on the tail and scoop outwards i guess, kind of hard to explain. it took me forever to learn this trick, but for most people its easy. there are trick tips, just watch where they put their back foot. its all pressure in the back foot.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: July 30, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »
alright I'll try that to the best of your discription

i really did nerd out and try finding some trick tips for this but couldn't :(

trafficjam

« Reply #357 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:05 PM »
ive seen clips of guys doing em off of ledges and catching em so high. it is a fun trick though

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #358 on: August 02, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »
so stoked! Went out yesterday and ended up doing at least 5 (out of a possible hundred attempts)

I'd be psyched to actually get this figured out. It seems like it was a lot easier to flip if I placed my back foot with a little pressure already on the toe-side scoop of the tail, but aside from that I've still got no real understanding of how it works or timing, it just seems like a happy accident any time it works out, but those few times were awesome. Thanks, dude!

youngblood

« Reply #359 on: August 12, 2009, 04:24:36 AM »
front blunts on ledges? it just sticks for me, or itll slide but it feels like i'm not locked in properly. its on a marble ledge, so it can't be lack of wax/speed.