Author Topic: What are you eating right now?  (Read 359573 times)

rupertspupkin

• Rep: 11
Re: What are you eating right now?
« Reply #3480 on: October 14, 2020, 12:22:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i'm still missing a sake in my pantry, haha. but i have acquired a ton of condiments. i'm like a sauce freak. have like 6 different hot sauces in the fridge, got normal mayo, got kewpie mayo, 3 kinds of mustard, several soy sauces(light, shoyu, tamari, ponzu), some special sauces i made myself and keep in the fridge, all kinds of cooking oils and vinegars and spices.

[close]

Any soy sauce intel, frank? I grew up eating buttered noodles with Kimlan soy sauce at like 4 out of 5 dinners, but I have to admit that I don't know what's what in the world of soy. And what kind of hot sauces are you running? I'm something of a sauce freak too. Genuinely curious.
[close]

i'm just starting to get into the soy sauce game so i am probably not the best to ask. apparently there are tons of different styles, but i have kept it pretty basic so far with one light and one dark soy sauce. many recipes call for different styles of regional or brands soy sauces to be mixed in different ratios, i haven't delved into that yet. but generally the way i understood it is that the light sauce is saltier, whereas the dark one is a bit sweeter and has more depth to it. so to balance you want to mix the two according to your taste and find sauces you like best, so your old favorite should be a good start i guess.

my current hot sauce rotation is dirty dicks, tapatio, sriracha, green tabasco(i know it's not hot at all, just like the taste on pizza), and sometimes i whip up some sort of hot sauce out of my tub of gochujang. just thin it out with water and some sort of acid. but i miss secret aardvark since i ran out of it, that stuff is soooo delicious. so pretty basic rn. i've been staying off the fancy stuff as of late since i found to have too many in rotation can make you forget about one or the other and then you forget to cool it, leave it on the table for weeks and it goes bad. i'm about to run out of tapatio and will probably get some basic cholula next to replace it. sometimes i try and make my own, we have these rando mixed bags of chilis at the grocery store, they usually have a range of chillies in them, jalapenos, habaneros, scotch bonnett, but no ghost peppers or their like. then i just fuck around with that, usually like mine vinegar based as opposed to cooked off. but i dig both, i don't really care. just think not boiling off everything makes everything taste fresher and i'd rather have it taste a bit funky than cooked dead. roasting the peppers and veg before is a good idea if the sauce is supposed to be savory, but if i want it to taste green and fresh i skip that.

on topic, i made some garlic noodles according to chef john/kenji lopez-alt. was missing fish sauce, which i substituted with a splash of worcestershire sauce. came out really good. very simple, but satisfying dish.
You gotta get that fish sauce. Shit is essential. Thanks for the inspiration. Haven't had garlic noodles in a year or two. Gonna go make some.

Frank

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #3481 on: October 14, 2020, 07:19:19 AM »
You gotta get that fish sauce. Shit is essential. Thanks for the inspiration. Haven't had garlic noodles in a year or two. Gonna go make some.

haha word, gonna get some tomorrow and try again on the weekend.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3482 on: October 15, 2020, 04:13:33 AM »
Out the car in for a service today, while we waited went across the road and got a great spaghetti bolognaise, garlic bread and a glass of red wine.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • The blank from hell.
« Reply #3483 on: October 15, 2020, 08:03:04 AM »
bacon eggs pancakes

matty_c

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3484 on: October 16, 2020, 10:16:26 PM »
Bens burgers motherfucker

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3485 on: October 17, 2020, 01:02:35 AM »
Starburst flavored Fruit by the Foot. They arenít great, and the orange one is absolutely terrible

Frank

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #3486 on: October 17, 2020, 01:05:17 AM »
coffee
toast with butter

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3487 on: October 18, 2020, 08:49:57 PM »
Everyone should be using this sauce.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.