Author Topic: mtubbs.com  (Read 2308 times)

onesickrace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
mtubbs.com
« on: August 10, 2007, 03:03:25 PM »
Early on the morning of August 5th, 2007 my son - Michael Tubbs - was skating “bomber runs” in a parking garage on the ASU campus with 3 friends.

At the end of the first run his buddies realized that Michael wasn't down yet. They went back up and found him leaning against a wall, bleeding from the back of his head and slipping out of consciousness.

Less than an hour later Michael was at the Barrows Neurological Center in Phoenix having emergency surgery to alleviate the swelling on the right side of his brain by removing a large portion of his skull. When he arrived he had no heartbeat and minimal brain activity.

The awesome news is that he is alive - and we truly believe that he will skate again. This was written on Thursday, August 9th. Michael is still on a ventilator to assist his breathing but he has made what the doctors had described as remarkable progress. He actually is trying to sit up on his elbow and he absolutely knows that we are here.

Skating is one of his great passions in life. Over the last ten years the skating community has been as much his family as his mother, sister and I have.

This site and fund have been set up so that if anyone would like to email a greeting or word of encouragement, or donate to his rehabilitation fund they can. Know that if any monies collected exceed his need that the balance will be donated to the Barrow Neurological Hospital.

We have heard from many of you already and thank you seems inadequate to say the least but THANK YOU!

Sincerely, Michael's Dad - Mike Tubbs

also updates on skateaz.com   he has insurance but still, insurance co-pays add up...espically when you have to be life flighted to the hospital...  tubbs is an amazing person and from a young age, i knew he had skateboarding in his blood.  ive had the good fortune to travel along with him up and down the west coast several times to live in oregon and at that, been able to share some of the most amazing times of mylife with.  this kid is solid gold.  any help is more than appreciated.  thank you.  lee bender

fuckingvegan

Re: mtubbs.com
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Lets hope he has a quick recover. I am pretty sure I meet him out here this year, if it is the guy I am thinking of, he was super cool.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 07:28:49 PM »
what exactly happened to him?
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

hamhead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -8
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 11:56:56 PM »
damn.

hope he's doin good.

floyd

• Rep: 1
  • Biertje?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 04:04:51 AM »
Get well soon dude!
I put a link up on our website, good luck!
http://www.gamesdiscount.nl/

fuckingvegan

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 08:04:15 AM »
what exactly happened to him?

From what it reads, he fell bombing a parking garage.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 05:10:23 AM »
Yeah, bombing parking garages is super fun, but one drop of oil can make it super dangerous as well.

Let's hope he recovers well enough to skate again asap.

onesickrace

mtubbs.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 06:45:52 PM »
theres this gnarly garage here in tempe thats seriously like a hill in sf...no one saw exactly what happened, but i think he slipped out or tried running out going fast on a backside powerslide.  i only think this due to where he was found and the speed he would have had at that point...the garage is 6 stories tall, the elevators work, so its 6th floor every time 24  hours a day...it goes... down flat down (the flats are similar to cross streets) flat with 180 degree turn to the right then down flat down flat down street...and tubbs was found after the 180 turn up against the wall where he was slipping in and out of consciousness...ive gone around the turn in one full powerslide at speed, but im right foot forward..so its an easy fs slide where as tubbs is regular footed so its a bit tougher with a long backside slide...this is where i think he stepped off and fell backwards...actually last summer, some 14 year old kid was going down the garage and before he could make the turn, he slammed into the wall on his bike and flipped over the edge and fell 4 stories..he lived through that  but died choking on his own blood a few minutes later.  tubbs keeps getting better, but that doesnt mean thats hes bright eyed just yet...still has the breathing tubes, neck brace, iv and 52 staples holding his head together...although... i heard yesterday that his brain swelling has stabalized and they should be taking the tubes out of his throat soon.  tubbs is 100% skateboarder and we are pullin for you man...ill update skateaz.com the more i find out.. which that ends up on mtubbs.com soon after.  thanks to everyone who has helped out.  skateboarders for skateboarders... lee bender.

onesickrace

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »
this is fro skateaz.com  i posted it for his sister there and here...

"hey everybody. im giving lee a break tonight and updating about my brother myself.

today was an amazing day for michael. he was taken off of his breathing tube earlier on in the day, and could actually start talking to us!! holy crap! i actually got dizzy at one point and had to sit down i was so overwhelmed.

he called me by my name, and asked where my dad was!! i also told him the nurse said his tattoos were really cool and he responded with, "nice." which was very michael of him to say. haha. so hes still in there. he could barely talk though because he is still super weak and his mouth was soooo dry from the breathing tube. he was trying to say a lot of things but my mom and i couldnt understand him because he is still just really weak. we told him to rest and that we'd talk to him a lot more tomorrow.

a BIG, BIG day for michael. the only downfall for today was that he still cant move his left leg, but that will come with rehibilitation. he's still preeeettyy out of it. its still going to be kind of a long recovery, but everything has gone so well, so fast. he should still be in the icu another couple days at least.

your prayers and love or anything else you have sent out in the past week i believe had truly made a huge impact. my family and i thank you to no end. all of you mean so much to us, and i know you guys mean the absolute world to my brother. thank you thank you thank you.

-rachel tubbs

Evil Kraken from the Arctic Sea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Hi SlapPal!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 11:46:37 PM »
I really hope he gets well soon. Oil drops are the reason bombing garages seems too dangerous to me. Anyway, cool thing, my mother would have hated everything connected to skateboarding if I would´ve had an accident like that. No way she´d write on a skateboard forum how much she loved the community...And my father wouldn´t have written "I know he gets back on the skateboard",he would´ve said "I´ll make sure my son doesn´t get anywhere near a skateboard again.." Seems unbelievable how supportive his family is concerning his skateboarding,considering what happened. WOW!
I'll go frontside on some tranny for you.

Vauxhall

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 10:09:22 AM »
^ Exactly. True support from your family goes a long way. Lucky kid, in many ways.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:26:29 AM by Vauxhall »

baxter

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 11:45:17 PM »
wow thats crazy for now fast he recovered and thats a bummer about that kid who fell

RRRRRAD

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 06:32:15 AM »
ah dude that just makes you not feel good

feel bad for him i don't wish that upon any skateboarder

jam_jelly

• Rep: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 10:20:07 PM »
it's just scary to think that the simple things are what can get you hurt just as bad as a big ol' hammer.

onesickrace

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 05:13:59 PM »
tubbs comin up!
eyes open and alert, tubbs is out of icu and in a regular hospital room. all of the breathing and feedng tubes are out of his mouth and nose and the only thing hes got in him like that is an iv in his arm. his dad told me he had french toast this morning and hes almost able to feed himself. so things are looking good and i believe he either starts physical therapy today or he started it yesterday... not that hes up walking yet,,,but soon at the rate he is going now. tubbs when you read this, this was the best day so far from when this all started two weeks ago. i cant wait until youre up and jammin again man,,, i miss you. lee bender

kevinbacon

• Rep: -1
  • bacon status
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 09:31:33 AM »
damn, thats good that he is recovering fast though - i wish him the best of luck.

eRICFLAIR

• Rep: -11
    • eRIC FLAIR's Space avatar image
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 06:40:21 AM »
We bomb parking garage's
and jocks put down oil
so we slip
and bust our butts

what the

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 03:49:19 PM »
how you going to blame a jock for this god,it could have been a old lady for all we know,anyways get better man,and it could have not even been oil just could have slipped,it happens thats the cruel part about life,anything is possible