Author Topic: Your first skateboard  (Read 72036 times)

HeavyAndExpensive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 115
Re: Your first skateboard
« Reply #390 on: August 29, 2021, 01:24:26 PM »
My older next door neighbor had one of these that I would try to push on all the time and fall. His mom wouldn’t let me ride it cause I was very young so I would push sitting down and occasionally try to stand and push. A green Muska rising son was the first board of my own.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #391 on: August 29, 2021, 02:19:46 PM »
First actual board given to me was a very used World Industries deck that I never got to set up because I didn't have any parts for it. Shortly after, I got a $20 Dukes Skateboards complete from Big 5.  This was around Spring 2001. It snapped as soon as I learned to Ollie.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #392 on: August 29, 2021, 02:33:20 PM »
Had a Variflex board with hardly any nose, I remember it being so thick and heavy. I remember being at Goodwill with my mom when I spotted it and asked for it, she thought it was rad so it came home. There was actually the one I got and a ramp II at the store that day, I had to choose between the two.

The graphic was blue and I think it had a Bee with a basketball if I remember correctly... I've searched for a picture of it but have never had any luck. I grew up on a farm so I would take that thing out to a small concrete slap in one of the barns and try to ollie.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

alecjahr

• Rep: -108
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #393 on: August 29, 2021, 02:38:12 PM »
I was at my local surf shop with my dad when I was like 6 years old. My dad just randomly asked if I wanted a skateboard so the girl behind the counter just picked out my stuff for me.
Zero Jamie Thomas deck
Indy’s
Spitfires and reds
I don’t know who that girl was but she hooked it up.
 Shout out red dog surf shop in new Smyrna beach Florida.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #394 on: August 29, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »

Valterra Land Shark released in 1986, which I got for my fourth birthday that year. I mostly knee-boarded and sit-boarded on it until I got the confidence to ride standing up by the time I was about six. Not sure what a Valterra was doing on the wall of a toy store on Road 9 in Cairo in the mid 80s but there it was. Somehow skateboards were making it all the way to Egypt in the middle of the 80s skate boom. I nearly died of dysentery earlier that year so I was ready to butt-board hellride and get gnarly after terminal diarrhea almost put me in the sky
Respect

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #395 on: August 29, 2021, 10:00:41 PM »
Zorlac or Status, but the first real skateboard I ever got on my own was a HUF silhouette graphic from a warped bin at Bills Wheels. It’s also the first time I ever saw someone stoned. He was sitting on a chair made of decks.

It was an eventful day.
Santa Cruz is a hell of a drug

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #396 on: August 29, 2021, 10:11:13 PM »
I was at my local surf shop with my dad when I was like 6 years old. My dad just randomly asked if I wanted a skateboard so the girl behind the counter just picked out my stuff for me.
Zero Jamie Thomas deck
Indy’s
Spitfires and reds
I don’t know who that girl was but she hooked it up.
 Shout out red dog surf shop in new Smyrna beach Florida.

Wild. That place is still there. Picked up some wax there like 3 weeks ago while me and the homies were hitting some parks out there

Spicy boi.

• Rep: 8
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #397 on: August 29, 2021, 11:52:37 PM »
Birdhouse department store complete when I first started seriously skating from my best friend, and then I bought a black ATM deck on a trip to New Brunswick. Started in '13.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #398 on: August 30, 2021, 05:20:21 PM »
A Toys“R”Us board. I traded away my bike to the neighbor kid for it when I was 12. My mom beat my butt with the big wooden spoon for trading away my bike. It was a terrible board, the plastic trucks had cuts in the yoke so it would randomly fall apart. Ended up replacing the trucks with Royals. My dad got whipped up into a religious fervor one night and threw it away. Traded pokemon cards for skateboard parts at school and hide them in the woods out back.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
« Reply #399 on: August 30, 2021, 05:31:47 PM »
Liquid surf deck
Venture trucks
Dna wheels

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #400 on: August 30, 2021, 05:55:21 PM »
I grew up pretty poor. First actual complete I got was in high school. Plan B Sheckler lol I got so much shit for it since this was right when his show on MTV was out. Shoutout to my mom though she tried her best.

With that being said, if anyone has any leads on a black/gold Sheckler deck circa 2007-2008ish let me know. I would love to see it again I lost it years ago

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #401 on: August 30, 2021, 06:11:12 PM »
I had a shitty power rangers Walmart board a kid down the street gave me because he didn’t want it. Plastic neon green trucks and all. Skated it til it was dead. The bike shop my dad went to had a few boards on the wall and rails so I convinced him to get me a real one. It was a Jason Adams black label shaped board. No idea on the trucks or anything else but he helped me put two bright pink rails on it and I would ride on 50-50 the PVC pipe rail he helped me build for a year after that.

Robby

• Rep: 15
« Reply #402 on: August 31, 2021, 11:41:18 AM »
Expand Quote
My family had one of these, so that was the first board I had to mess around on. It used to splinter so bad. The first board of my own was some DBZ one with Goku on it from Toys R Us. I got that ASAP after playing the THPS demo on that disk from Pizza Hut. First legit board was an Element deck with orange and yellow spitfire wheels and tensor trucks with the orange slide plates. I think I had multi color bolts, called Fruit Loops or something?
[close]

Holy fucking shit! That was mine as well. Forgot about the 'Flyin Brian' part (memories are flooding back).

I was gonna say it was all blue with hard plasticy blue wheels and had some kind of a monster guy as a top graphic. No grip, just bumpy wood grain and trucks that didn't really turn.

I remember getting frustrated that I couldn't ollie, not realizing that it would have been nearly impossible. I also remember the moment when my brothers friend explained that you could loosen the trucks to turn with only a lean. I was beyond hyped, despite the fact that it still didn't work that well on that board. Honestly, it massively hampered my progress now that I think about it, but whatever.

Crazy.

Hahaha no way! That’s wild someone else had this piece of shit. I think ours had yellow wheels, and came with a white scooter handlebar with blue BMX grips. We took it off after taking the bar to the chest/gut too many times after hitting pebbles and going off crappy ramps.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #403 on: August 31, 2021, 06:37:37 PM »
Maybe someone on here can help me but I've never seen image of the first board I ever skated. Had an old school fishtail shape and had a cartoony rendition of a wrestling ring and I think a guy jumping from the top rope onto a guy laying in the ring. I think it had plastic trucks. My brother got it years prior and it had been sitting in the garage for years before I decided to roll around on it.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT I FOUND A PIC OF IT

After that one got destroyed a long while later(it was waterlogged before I even started skating), I got a toy machine board with a blue background and a devil (horned monster whatever it's called) silhouette, the only picture I ever saw of it was a Corey Duffel story of a picture of the first board he got flowed from Toy Machine. I didn't know anything about skateboards and it was a combined birthday and Christmas present. My mom was really worried about the price, so I ended up getting pretty much the cheapest of everything else. Orion trucks, Blind wheels and I think lucky bearings.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 11:34:37 AM by UselessAsshole »

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -11
« Reply #404 on: August 31, 2021, 07:01:55 PM »
Shortys xs, grind kings, black panthers, dooks short stack risers, spitfire big heads I copied everything my brother did at the time that’s why I never had a fake board also got some circa Jamie Thomas shoes.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #405 on: August 31, 2021, 08:27:23 PM »
Started skating in 1990 but borrowed from a friend. Finally own 1 in early 1991, a single kick skateboard bought from Ngiu Kee Departmental Store. Black plastic trucks, fluorescent green wheels. August 1991, got a proper double kick skateboard, Tom Knox - Cop Killer with transparent griptape, Bridgebolt, Indy trucks and California Pro wheels with NMB bearings.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #406 on: September 01, 2021, 08:50:06 AM »
was riding walmart completes or hand me downs until my mom took me to the skateshop the last day of 7th gradre and let me build a complete.
I picked out the Adrian Lopez Virgin Mary board
https://www.gfkbar.com/product-page/board-89
with the black and pink Bam Margera signature Destructo's
https://picclick.com/Destructo-Bam-Margera-Trucks-Purple-and-Pink-Discontinued-393373530922.html#&gid=1&pid=1

side note: was Mystery the first board brand to do the whole dipped board thing?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 11:47:19 AM by dudeonthecouch »
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #407 on: September 01, 2021, 09:37:32 AM »
First ever was a Variflex Ramp Rat my dad gave me

Later on was a used PP Hawk deck we got at a local shop called Aggro, but I can't remember what trucks/wheels/etc was on it

DillsDarts

• Rep: -22
« Reply #408 on: September 01, 2021, 10:19:22 AM »
first board was a world flame boy and wet willy graphic ( no idea the trucks, wheels or bearings & it honestly probably had deck screws as hardware) it had been water logged and sitting in my neighbors basement for months, I had just watched jack ass 3 with all my friends and my role model was bam, I was 6, and had only ever watched mike vallely skate vids before this ( found bam through the burnside vid of him tailsliding the hip??? idk) (my mom somehow remembered vallaly from when she was dating a skater in highschool.... big ups mom) But  I kept asking about the board to my neighbor if anyone was riding it or if I could borrow it and he would always say its his brothers and not to ever touch it (he was waay older than both of us and was into way too into music to skate) So, I stole it one day LOL, sprinted home as fast as a could to my dad and told him about how my nighbour said I could have the board and how I wanted to paint it black because I didnt like the bottom of it (lying through my teeth to have him help me pull this heist off) So he helps me paint it all black with a rattle can & put it back together..... well, doesnt my dumbass ride it to school the next day where my neighbour, and his older 8th grade brother (we were in 2nd grade i think??) are there waiting for me..... Got in trouble at school, beat up by them then in even more trouble for lying at home.. Parents grounded me for months after that, no skateboard ( my fresh black blank was returned to its actual owner) no morning cartoons and 7pm bedtime, a few months later though for my birthday, my parents did let me go the local shop (an hr/half to the next city) and pick a set up off the wall.... got myself a BAM creatures of the night (the purple one that is on his wall in his MTV cribs epie), rodney mullin signature tensor uber lights (with the slide plates 8) and some flip purple cored wheels... kinda worked out in the long run for myself
'Offensive career gets one do over, last attitude gets two tries. Cariuma riders have a bigger margin for error but will ultimately be decided by the referee'.
[/quote]

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #409 on: September 01, 2021, 10:49:18 AM »

biaherl

• Rep: 264
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #410 on: September 01, 2021, 10:55:08 AM »

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #412 on: September 01, 2021, 12:06:30 PM »

gabbesucks

« Reply #413 on: September 01, 2021, 12:26:50 PM »
7.75 Element Complete, sucked balls and was tiny, but it did the job as a first board.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 12:35:31 PM by gabbesucks »

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2021, 12:35:24 PM »
Kenny Hughes element deck. Pretty sure it was a complete from ccs
Suns out, im going skating. chow

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #415 on: October 18, 2021, 10:41:30 PM »

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #416 on: October 19, 2021, 08:41:45 AM »
first ever was a decathlon board, after that i got a blind complete:

i was 11 years old, then my first real set up was a plan b p-rod deck:

with rasta venture trucks:

and zero wheels:

i got rasta bolts to match the trucks and kept the bearings from the blind board, was barely 12 when i assembled this shit, my mom cut the grip out for me, thanks mom

btw i had no idea about board sizes, so i moved from the 7.3 blind to a 8.0 plan b
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Satulas

• Rep: 0
« Reply #417 on: October 24, 2021, 07:43:15 AM »
Very first proper one, '89 I think.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #418 on: November 04, 2021, 01:12:08 PM »
I posted already but I didn't really count my very FIRST board, a piece of shit fiberglass GrenTec board my cousin gave me. I learned how to ride on that thing when I was about 7, but had to relearn to ride when I got my first modern board 7 years later.

I miraculously found a pic of the design, it was this 7.5" Black Label except with blue instead of yellow.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J9STS/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_7NHXBARCGEES4JVMPC4Y

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #419 on: May 03, 2022, 06:01:51 AM »
Valterra purchased at Toys R Us (1989ish).

There is one for sale on ebay for $300 but I am not that nostalgic.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 06:11:57 AM by FrankRizzo »