Author Topic: Your first skateboard  (Read 71870 times)

somefucker

Re: Your first skateboard
« Reply #420 on: May 03, 2022, 06:05:13 AM »
zero skull board with the blood drip

glow in the dark bam destructo trucks

natural urethane rictas w a yellow core

reds

bam tape

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #421 on: May 03, 2022, 09:38:42 AM »

I somehow was able to get these back beginning of Covid.

This is my first wooden board. It’s a varaflex

The single truck is an Indy 4 I wish I had them both. I got these trucks passed down to me by one of the Marblehead punks. It had City Streets wheels which I think were made by the Tracker camp. Andy Roy’s first wheel too.
I had coppers and it had some crazy fast German bearings in it. Remember those? I always ride German bearings in the 80s and into the 90s I believe.

I don’t have my first pro graphic (rob roskopp purple face) anymore but I have these from around the same era

No one but us old folk know how hard it was to kickflip a riskopp face with Indy 4s and 60 something City Streets. Baby boards and bearing condoms wasn’t necessary at all tho. Now I have 10 pairs of old Indys old thunders old gk old ventures for 7.75 boards that are completely useless collecting dust. My nos indy 7s or 8s I guess I’m going to make a 2x4 board to cruise around on
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Blind Trucks

« Reply #422 on: May 26, 2022, 03:56:40 AM »
First board was the classic shitty $10 thing that cant roll

Eventually got a deca kids complete from a surf shop which wasnt that good either but a start

my first 'real' copmplete was a 7.75 zoo york standard logo
blind trucks hence my name haha they where red and black and around the kingpin was the grim reaper dudes head
element section 52mm wheels
reds bearings
element logo griptape
pig hardware

I also remember one christmas i got a world industries box that came with 2 decks 1 pair of trucks and wheels/bearings and a skate tool
anyone else remember that?

pedro_mayn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #423 on: May 26, 2022, 04:11:42 AM »
Had a weird Renner complete (black and white logo at the bottom, then the middle to the top was woodstain).
It came with weird skull print trucks and their own wheels.
No pics of this setup, but I'm still surprised when I searched to see it's still a company that sells boards all these years later. Not even sure where they stock it, unless it's Sports Direct or some other sports or toy shops. Never seen any in the wild since '06 anyways.

Folks finally thought 'let's listen to 'im and get a tidy board from an actual skate shop'
So I kept the rest of the setup from the Renner complete, cause shit be expensive when you're a kid, then bought a Bootleg Mike Maldonado pro board from me local, 'cause it had dogs on it and dogs are cool.

I still have it, although scratched. If anyone has one in good nick so I can have it as a wall hanger, hit me up.

Only pic I could find of the Bootleg board online is here;
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #424 on: May 26, 2022, 06:15:44 AM »
Toy Machine bargain bin deck
A venture truck a friend gave me
A destructo truck a friend gave me
Shop wheels
Reds

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #425 on: May 26, 2022, 06:24:59 AM »
First board was the classic shitty $10 thing that cant roll

Eventually got a deca kids complete from a surf shop which wasnt that good either but a start

my first 'real' copmplete was a 7.75 zoo york standard logo
blind trucks hence my name haha they where red and black and around the kingpin was the grim reaper dudes head
element section 52mm wheels
reds bearings
element logo griptape
pig hardware

I also remember one christmas i got a world industries box that came with 2 decks 1 pair of trucks and wheels/bearings and a skate tool
anyone else remember that?

holy fuck, that's a legedary first setup. Id love to see a picture of that one new

Also. I got one of those world boxes, they were sold at walmart. They weren't good. I had already had a "real" board before then, but thought that box was a hell of deal. Little did I know that was just the first wave of brands making inferior department store products. it aslo came with 2 sets of wheels. 52s and 54s

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #426 on: May 26, 2022, 08:36:41 AM »

I got a piece of shit like above but it was white and had red wheels. Oddly even though it was toy store crap I was hooked so spent ages saving up for a proper set up.

sk8punk110

• Rep: -39
« Reply #427 on: May 26, 2022, 08:39:03 AM »
Dont have it in my possesion anymore but its this girl complete

My pillowcase is made out of griptape.  That core enough for your punk ass?

somefucker

« Reply #428 on: May 26, 2022, 08:41:24 AM »
Dont have it in my possesion anymore but its this girl complete

huh i didn't know they did a repro of this graphic with Malto's name

more familiar with the early 2000s Mariano model

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #429 on: May 26, 2022, 08:51:32 AM »
Sorry for the quality..

I still have the Pete Eldridge counterpart to it.

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
« Reply #430 on: May 26, 2022, 10:25:45 AM »
Actual 1st skateboard? Can’t remember. 1st legit skateboard? Oh yeah! I can remember it like yesterday and I’m old. Birthday complete. Tony Hawk VCJ hawk skull on the iron cross. Purple back ground graphics. Red trackers (I know, but they were a thing back then) and red Bullet wheels. Fluorescent orange and yellow two tone grip with “lightening” razored into it. Peak 80’s for sure. Damn I still wish I had that thing!

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #431 on: May 26, 2022, 10:38:33 AM »
my first real skateboard i can remember was a Chocolate, either a team graphic or for some reason i think maybe kenny anderson? I’ve been trying for so long to find it or remember more about it but it had to be in 2003 or 04.. if theres a directory for this kind of thing i’d really appreciate a look at it
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

i halfcab board ledges

• Rep: 12
« Reply #432 on: May 26, 2022, 11:38:09 AM »
u all have to be lying, i had some shit active complete, it did have balck and gold koston trucks though and I got bones wheels for it, the deck was some zebra print grey and black though active shop deck, pretty sick
The year is 2364. Frog will be the only skateboard company.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #433 on: May 26, 2022, 11:50:46 AM »
Sorry for the quality..

I still have the Pete Eldridge counterpart to it.

Dope first board
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #434 on: May 26, 2022, 01:25:31 PM »
First board I ever had was a shitty Variflex board that I snapped the trucks on learning to ollie.

First real board was a Muska Silhouette deck,  Indy trucks, Spitfire Bigheads, Black Panther Bearings, Black Magic grip and Silverados Allen hardware.

I still have the deck although I trashed it as a kid and spray painted it up. 

I also somehow still have that same set of Silverados and the nylock still works, literally using em on my main setup.

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #435 on: May 26, 2022, 11:26:40 PM »
vision ripper
tracker trucks
sims wheels
" I did not say this I am not here"

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #436 on: May 27, 2022, 06:13:48 AM »
my first real skateboard i can remember was a Chocolate, either a team graphic or for some reason i think maybe kenny anderson? I’ve been trying for so long to find it or remember more about it but it had to be in 2003 or 04.. if theres a directory for this kind of thing i’d really appreciate a look at it

artofskateboarding.com

they don't have everything, but it might help
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Bupstop

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #437 on: May 27, 2022, 07:18:52 AM »
I wish I still had it but my first skateboard was a Hosoi hammerhead with the nose cut off. It has mismatched Indy and tracker trucks and green and pink wheels with green and pink griptape that was applied in little squares all over the top. I paid $20 for it from a kid in my neighborhood who was actually a huge asshole and it took forever to save up for it. I quickly abandoned skateboarding because the kids in my neighborhood would kick my ass when I would try to learn and constantly call me a poser even though I was trying to learn. I didn’t start skating again until the early nineties when all these neighborhood kids quit. Glad I picked it back up because it’s given me a lot.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #438 on: August 08, 2022, 11:23:13 AM »
for the old school guys, 1990 or older: What was your first "Popsicle" shape skateboard?
Did you switch to popsicle right away, or did you wait a bit?
How long did it take after that Vallely Animal Farm board before there were a lot of options for them?
I was talking to my friend and he said we didnt even get it at the shop here in Canada lol he had to wait a bit longer before he got a popsicle shape but couldnt seem to remember what his first one was.

It seems like by 91 most of the old school shapes were kinda phasing out from what i can tell. Seems like during Rubbish Heap they were still on the Old School Board but by Video Days they were bit more Popsicle shaped and at least had proper noses. maybe not until like Plan B era the shapes got more symmetrical looking and rounded

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -50
« Reply #439 on: August 08, 2022, 11:57:59 AM »
Started skating in 1987 because my big brother skated.
First deck was a Nash that I have zero recollection of the graphic. I think it was kind of a non-graphic, just the word NASH written in some "totally radical" font.
First real deck was 1988, I was 7 years old. It was an Alva Eddie Reategui deck, my dad swapped the trucks and wheels from my Nash deck onto it.

I skated from 1987 to 1989, I learned to ollie pretty good but didn't do much else. I was pretty young and more into toys and Nintendo than skating. In retrospect I'm pretty amazed that such a tiny person could pop that monstrous fucking deck and 60mm wheels into the air.

for the old school guys, 1990 or older: What was your first "Popsicle" shape skateboard?

In 1993 I started up again, and some of my friends started too. We were in our rebellious preteen phase.
I got a complete Mike Vallely Powell, popsicle reissue of the classic elephant graphic.
Looked a lot like this...(no idea what size it was but probably like 7.5 given the era)

Skated from age 12/13 (1993) until age 21 (2001ish).
I was getting into girls and cars and partying and shit, but I think I mostly quit because all my friends had quit.
The last day I skated I went out by myself, I was trying kick flip front boards on a flat bar. I cracked my deck (a Blind James Craig pro model) and didn't buy a new one for 17 years, when I bought a complete Baker Nuge deck with Thunder trucks and Bones STF.

So in a weird way, I have three "first decks".
I don't have any of them anymore, but oddly, I still have the Blind James Craig deck that I snapped in 2001.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #440 on: August 08, 2022, 12:07:54 PM »
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #441 on: August 08, 2022, 12:54:59 PM »
First proper board was a h-street Danny Way Blackhole, neon yellow/greenish T-bones in 67mm/95 or 92a (dunno exactly- they were pretty soft) and those gullwing trucks with the plastic baseplate. I don’t remember, which rails I had, but I also had some rip grip

SwitchBigspinflipBoneless

• Rep: 7
« Reply #442 on: August 09, 2022, 01:52:05 AM »
First board was a WWF Toys R Us complete with The Rock on the bottom.

First Proper complete was a Purple Fibrelight Element Bam 7.75 deck, venture trucks,  orange flip sidecut wheels and I think bone reds bearings.

Bought the entire set up from a mate round the corner for £30 who would jump hobbies every week. At the time I would be looking at gear constantly in the back of Sidewalk mags so knew it was a bargain.  Still remember the excitement while explaining to my mum the savings if she bought it for me haha.

Still ride ventured to this day cause of that set up.  Don't know if that's a positive or negative.

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 267
« Reply #443 on: August 09, 2022, 02:05:01 AM »

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #444 on: August 09, 2022, 02:35:22 AM »
I had the original red muska.  It was the cheapest deck I could find on ebay.  It was around 40 or so.  Independent trucks, pleasure tool bearings and element wheels.  Dookies risers.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #445 on: August 09, 2022, 02:55:18 AM »
How long did it take after that Vallely Animal Farm board before there were a lot of options for them?
I was talking to my friend and he said we didnt even get it at the shop here in Canada lol he had to wait a bit longer before he got a popsicle shape but couldnt seem to remember what his first one was.

It seems like by 91 most of the old school shapes were kinda phasing out from what i can tell. Seems like during Rubbish Heap they were still on the Old School Board but by Video Days they were bit more Popsicle shaped and at least had proper noses. maybe not until like Plan B era the shapes got more symmetrical looking and rounded

Yeah a Plan B Henry Sanchez was the first semi popsicle but my first actual popsicle was an Andy Howell Underworld Element slick. Fuckin looooved that board. Pressure flips and nose slides all day. Pressure flip era really made for some fucked tails.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 53
« Reply #446 on: August 09, 2022, 04:31:24 AM »

Not this particular complete (I think a relative used the trucks as boat trailer rollers eventually), but a Malone, must've been 1987, Police Academy IV and all that. Still on that journey, even did the ultimate check and tried to quit, no luck so it must be pretty serious.

First "real" complete, I don't remember any details. First Christmas Complete maybe 2010s or something...

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #447 on: August 09, 2022, 04:31:48 AM »
First proper board was a h-street Danny Way Blackhole, neon yellow/greenish T-bones in 67mm/95 or 92a (dunno exactly- they were pretty soft) and those gullwing trucks with the plastic baseplate. I don’t remember, which rails I had, but I also had some rip grip

Thats so sick!!! Danny Way H STreet board!

Did the Gullwings have Copers?
I am trying to picture what a board would look like with rip grip, I am thinking something like this

But then what is this?

are you meant to cut that out to the shape of your board to look like the picture above? its meant to protect your fingers when doing grabs?

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 53
« Reply #448 on: August 09, 2022, 04:36:32 AM »

But then what is this?

are you meant to cut that out to the shape of your board to look like the picture above? its meant to protect your fingers when doing grabs?

You put that piece in your board bottom somewhere to make grabbing easier, typically where you reach melons and weddles.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #449 on: August 09, 2022, 05:36:18 AM »
My first one was a variflex complete, I started at 00' so you know it was the terrible mall ones

Obviously trucks exploted and got some from friends, later changed the board to a skateshop one from 1000 km away, made the deal on my dads FAX and it came in mail with a bootleg vhs version of flip sorry <3

The first american board was a Element Reese Forbes (with blue plys) with a Don Pendleton drawing.
This one: