Author Topic: Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On  (Read 599660 times)

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 18
Re: Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On
« Reply #6330 on: October 30, 2020, 03:38:17 PM »

Theres a little kid next to my house that always watches me skate my 1/4 pipe. His mom mentioned last week that he wants to skate someday, so that translates to me that he needs his own setup. Stoked that he will be stoked when he gets home and sees this by his door...not stoked for me because thats my last little board. :)
This type of shit makes me so happy to be a skater. I got my first set up almost the same way. Well donw pal.
Whoa. Danger.

IusedToSkateMore

• Rep: 45
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6331 on: October 30, 2020, 04:33:35 PM »
I was just back east visiting the family and it's usually not a good time, but on top of being really solid and meaningful, I had a lot of fun this trip while also starting to lay the foundation for a move back east. I've been pretty untethered, roaming back and forth for the past 10 or so years, with the west coast base being in one of my most favorite locales. I have had my permanent base here for the past 5 years and do whatever I want. I work for myself and it's a dream, I ride bikes, skate again, mess with instruments and guns, collect/listen/read records and books, smoke herb, dick around on the computer, go to the beach, hike the forest, drink coffee, and eat the dankest local organic food. I do all of this at least 1x week, usually 3 or 4. There are so few people in this podunk place compared to back east. I dig it. And still, I'm ready to move on. I'll never be able to afford land here whereas in New England I can get some decent south facing acreage with water for a relatively decent price. My parents are getting old and the covid thing has thrown them out of wack, as has the social/political climate of the states. It'd be good to be say a 3 or four hour drive rather than a 3-5 day drive. But the social expectations back there are different. New England is up tight, no matter where you're at. Soon it's time to go back and I'm trying to figure it out.

Going to appreciate the fuck outta the place for the time

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • illinoying
« Reply #6332 on: October 30, 2020, 06:43:41 PM »
Dreams come true but feeling writers block so to speak with skating

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #6333 on: October 31, 2020, 11:06:31 AM »

Theres a little kid next to my house that always watches me skate my 1/4 pipe. His mom mentioned last week that he wants to skate someday, so that translates to me that he needs his own setup. Stoked that he will be stoked when he gets home and sees this by his door...not stoked for me because thats my last little board. :)

This legit warmed my heart. You are amazing.

Banned from the room

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
    • Aural Buthcheryers
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6334 on: October 31, 2020, 01:56:56 PM »
Memorial box. These boards especially the SM were lit. It maybe was having a ledge like 5 minutes from my house.

Some have art on the grip so I kept them.

Two are back up boards. One was defective but was replaced.

This isn't even the special box of stuff. I got way way too much shit.
It's hard to be like yo this graphic is a wall board. It's not a screen obviously.
Most of these are the same shapes. The board it has to mean something to me. Hold some weight in my mind when I hold it in my hands.

I remember all of this because I'm not on drugs and it's the shit. But I gotta pull the grip off some of these and dump them at the skate park or something.

Happy Halloween

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

IusedToSkateMore

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6335 on: October 31, 2020, 03:59:44 PM »
Memorial box. These boards especially the SM were lit. It maybe was having a ledge like 5 minutes from my house.

It's hard to be like yo this graphic is a wall board. It's not a screen obviously.
Most of these are the same shapes. The board it has to mean something to me. Hold some weight in my mind when I hold it in my hands.

I remember all of this because I'm not on drugs and it's the shit. But I gotta pull the grip off some of these and dump them at the skate park or something.

Happy Halloween

yeah dog, I was just back at my family home and found a grip of old decks under the basement stairs. My ma asked if she could dump them and I asked to save them til I move back east and can make a chair or something out of them. The deck I remember most was a 5boro I was riding in 01 that has the twin towers cut out under the grip.

How old are you? Where'd you skate in MA? strictly Boston or did you venture out and shit?

Banned from the room

• SLAP Pal
    • Aural Buthcheryers
« Reply #6336 on: October 31, 2020, 10:47:29 PM »
Expand Quote

Happy Halloween

[close]

yeah dog, I was just back at my family home and found a grip of old decks under the basement stairs. My ma asked if she could dump them and I asked to save them til I move back east and can make a chair or something out of them. The deck I remember most was a 5boro I was riding in 01 that has the twin towers cut out under the grip.

How old are you? Where'd you skate in MA? strictly Boston or did you venture out and shit?

I'm pretty old. I'm 42. I'm usually mass. North Shore mostly. Boston has been a rare treat since covid.

I got hot feet for sure. I haven't had a vacation in about 10 years.
(A)pl(E)

IusedToSkateMore

« Reply #6337 on: November 01, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Happy Halloween

[close]

[close]

I'm pretty old. I'm 42. I'm usually mass. North Shore mostly. Boston has been a rare treat since covid.

no doubt. you've only got about a handful on me. glad you are surviving, man. most of the old skate homies have passed on.

I grew up in Bristol/Plymouth counties, skating Fall River, New Bedford, Bridgewater, Brockton, Taunton- anywhere there was a spot. We'd get out to the city when we could. Financial District and Aquarium were hella fun. Shit was a mecca.

Banned from the room

• SLAP Pal
    • Aural Buthcheryers
« Reply #6338 on: November 02, 2020, 08:50:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Happy Halloween

[close]

[close]

[close]

no doubt. you've only got about a handful on me. glad you are surviving, man. most of the old skate homies have passed on.

I grew up in Bristol/Plymouth counties, skating Fall River, New Bedford, Bridgewater, Brockton, Taunton- anywhere there was a spot. We'd get out to the city when we could. Financial District and Aquarium were hella fun. Shit was a mecca.

Right on. My niece lives down that way.
Sometimes I go to the edge. I haven't been since last winter though.

I love framingham. I kinda wanna move there
(A)pl(E)

IusedToSkateMore

« Reply #6339 on: November 02, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Happy Halloween

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Right on. My niece lives down that way.
Sometimes I go to the edge. I haven't been since last winter though.

I love framingham. I kinda wanna move there

I don't live there anymore but I skated Edge from before it was open til I left town. that bowl is epic.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -666
« Reply #6340 on: November 04, 2020, 07:32:29 AM »
Not stoked on the death of my beautiful Alfa Romeo 156, but stoked on the letter from DMV saying they don't need more drug tests. Took me two years and a fuckton of money.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 11
« Reply #6341 on: November 07, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »
My new job pays decent and offers great benefits & decent time off but iím 3 weeks in and not liking it. I think about quitting nearly every day im there and know Iím probably not going to find something else that pays as well and offers decent benefits/time off, etc.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #6342 on: November 09, 2020, 07:04:30 PM »
It has been nearly a year to the day that my life completely changed its trajectory.

I'm thrilled and I'm bummed. Life has been a lot harder and a lot easier.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"that guy is double parked."
"Who cares? there are people starving to death! besides, how does that affect you? does it lessen the joy of parking?

habby

• Rep: 16
« Reply #6343 on: November 10, 2020, 01:51:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This legit warmed my heart. You are amazing.

@Seventyfrigginseven good work. that kid is gonna be stoked

Not really close to the same sitch but when I was a teacher I had a student that was super into skating but told me he didn't have a favorite skater. I went out and bought him a skate mag and gave it to him in hopes of him falling deeper into the rabbit hole. He was super stoked

Frank

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #6344 on: November 11, 2020, 09:25:25 AM »
getting medical care i avoided for years. i was at the jawdoc today for the first time. i'll probably get sort of a retainer to wear at night since i am clencher, i have "abnormally well developed jaw muscles" too, which sounds cool, but apparently is a problem. that jaw has to chill when i sleep. i gotta get my teeth done first , get the wisdom ones removed and so on, so now i gotta go to an actual dentist. and then i'll get that retainer.

and on top of that i seem to have an abscess on my tailbone. shit sucks. my doc said i actually will need to go to a surgeon for that since he can't remove it himself. it's not that bad rn actually, hoping they got time next week to fix this up.

stoked about having actual doctors that seem to give a shit about me as well as access to them, but not stoked on my anxiety attacks when i go to the doc because i always think i have superaidscancer or something. i feel it getting better the more i get used to it.

MorningSesh

« Reply #6345 on: November 11, 2020, 11:05:50 AM »
getting medical care i avoided for years. i was at the jawdoc today for the first time. i'll probably get sort of a retainer to wear at night since i am clencher, i have "abnormally well developed jaw muscles" too, which sounds cool, but apparently is a problem. that jaw has to chill when i sleep. i gotta get my teeth done first , get the wisdom ones removed and so on, so now i gotta go to an actual dentist. and then i'll get that retainer.

and on top of that i seem to have an abscess on my tailbone. shit sucks. my doc said i actually will need to go to a surgeon for that since he can't remove it himself. it's not that bad rn actually, hoping they got time next week to fix this up.

stoked about having actual doctors that seem to give a shit about me as well as access to them, but not stoked on my anxiety attacks when i go to the doc because i always think i have superaidscancer or something. i feel it getting better the more i get used to it.
Fuck i looked up what a tail bone abscess because it sounds like what I might have. I really think I have one too. Im really fucking hoping i donít need surgery also. Itís mostly just uncomfortable but painful to touch.

Frank

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #6346 on: November 11, 2020, 11:31:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Fuck i looked up what a tail bone abscess because it sounds like what I might have. I really think I have one too. Im really fucking hoping i donít need surgery also. Itís mostly just uncomfortable but painful to touch.
just get it checked, it's a very minor surgery, just a few cuts at most.

it's like a same day in and out thing. will probably take 10 mins or so and they will just numb my ass, then i have to figure out how to get home without feeling my ass i guess. no need to stay at a hospital.

so nothing to be too worried about.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
    • My Wife
« Reply #6347 on: November 16, 2020, 01:18:48 PM »
A young man that I mentor sent me a text late last night asking me for money because he was going to get of the graveyard shift job he just started working and had no ride home. He seemed genuinely not stoked.

So I told him I would pick him up when he got of and drive him home, intending to get back home and sleep for a couple hours before going to my own work. I was not stoked on this but wanted to help the kid.

I had eaten a Big Mac and had a little bit of bubbleguts but it was no big deal (stoke level: ambivalent)

So, I got about 3 hours of sleep and then woke up at 5am, picked him up in DTLA and dropped him of in what used to be known as South Central. He went into his place and it seemed like we were both stoked on that.

Then I hit a huge pothole on my way back to my own home and blew my tire out. Defintely not stoked on that.

Luckily I have Triple A (stoke!). But Triple A told me that, due to Covid, I could not ride in the tow truck driver's cab and would have to arrange my own transportation to the tire shop (not stoked!). This basically meant I would have to skate 5 miles to the tire shop, which I was prepared to do but not stoked on.

Stranded, I also had to go to the bathroom (number 2) really badly by this point and it was too early for anything to be open. The 7/11 next door didn't have public restrooms (not stoked) and the CVS nearby didn't open for an hour or so (also not stoked).

I was desperate so I took a roll of TP I keep in the trunk and headed over to what looked like an abandoned bldg (it had an "AVAILABLE" sign outside) across the street, intending on jumping the fence and dooking behind the bldg in relative privacy (not really stoked on that).

Literally as soon as I jumped over the front gate and started scoping out places to take a dump, by happenstance a car pulled up to the gate (not stoked). Then it became clear she was not just pulling a u-turn when she actually got out to open the gate and had just seen me jump their gate (way not stoked).

I decided to abandon the public dooking and I just waited for her to open the gate so I could walk out it without having to jump the gate again (kinda stoked I didn't have to jump it again). She gave me an evil eye as I walked out, but she didn't say anything. I mumbled, "Sorry, I went into the wrong place." So, I was not stoked that I still had to go number 2 really badly but very, very stoked that some lady didn't walk up on me in the middle of me dooking in the back of her store.

I slept in my car for an hour (kinda stoked) and the number two brewing in my belly somewhat subsided (stoked). When I woke up, I walked over to CVS and had a very satisfying dook on a proper toilet in a proper restroom (very, very stoked!).

Thankfully, when the tow truck finally arrived, the driver was a skateboarder and he said he really dgaf if I ride in the cab with him, he wasn't gonna leave me behind. It was a pleasant drive. We stayed masked up and shot the shit about skateboarding.

So, he got me and my car to the tire shop safe and sound. I was stoked on that.

Then the guy at the tire shop told me it would be $300 for a new tire and a wheel alignment. I was not stoked on that but still kind of stoked on the fact that I would be getting home soon.

tl;dr:
Things I am stoked on: getting the young man home safely, dooking in a real bathroom and not being caught dooking by a female while trespassing on her property, meeting a fellow skateboarder who wouldn't leave me stranded, avoiding a 5 mile skate, getting myself home safely.

Things I am not stoked on: hitting a pothole, being stranded, missing work, paying $300.

Overall: Stoked
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 01:46:34 PM by EdLawndale »

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
« Reply #6348 on: November 16, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
300 bucks for one tire? Unless you have some crazy car you got ripped off

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
« Reply #6349 on: November 16, 2020, 01:31:02 PM »
you ever get those internal farts . like the ones that make it to your butthole but donít actually come out but definitely still make a fart noise . my gi is fucked
dont shalom me if you don't know me.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife
« Reply #6350 on: November 16, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »

$200 for the name brand tire. $100 for the wheel alignment.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #6351 on: November 16, 2020, 10:13:52 PM »
its meant to be over 30 degrees all week, i love summer but fuck working outside in this heat

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

IusedToSkateMore

« Reply #6352 on: November 17, 2020, 01:13:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you drive a Tesla or a big truck? Tire shops are rough. I bought some bitchin AT tires for my rig and the tire shop was going to charge me $190/per, so I ordered them online for 130/per and paid $120 for mount/balance/disposal.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife
« Reply #6353 on: November 17, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you drive a Tesla or a big truck? Tire shops are rough. I bought some bitchin AT tires for my rig and the tire shop was going to charge me $190/per, so I ordered them online for 130/per and paid $120 for mount/balance/disposal.

Yeah, they kind of had me over a barrel as I just wanted to get home.

Gary Gloverberg

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6354 on: November 17, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
Colder weather is weeding out the more annoying kids at the skatepark, making weekday sessions possible. And while itís a badge of honor to go out and get it when itís cold and dark, obviously itís harder.

Time to look for warehouses and parking lots

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
« Reply #6355 on: November 17, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah tire shops are big time ripoffs u always gotta shop around. You didnít have a spare tire? I just got a whole set of hankooks for my truck, 500 with alignment

IusedToSkateMore

« Reply #6356 on: November 17, 2020, 06:04:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
yeah tire shops are big time ripoffs u always gotta shop around. You didnít have a spare tire? I just got a whole set of hankooks for my truck, 500 with alignment

exactly. so many tire shops are fronts too. shady af, milking it from both ends

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife
« Reply #6357 on: November 17, 2020, 06:20:23 PM »
Yeah, I hear both of you. For some reason, the newer models of my car have decided to ditch the idea of a spare in the trunk.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 33
« Reply #6358 on: November 22, 2020, 04:30:48 AM »
We went into lockdown in SA just as I paid $500 for a new bike, dude was like
"I'll take it overnight and put some thorn proof tubes on and put tougher pedals on"

That was 6 days ago and I still can't pick it up until tomorrow and had to get the stinky bus to work tonight.

"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 419
« Reply #6359 on: November 27, 2020, 12:49:54 PM »
Vent City just put a really good Mason Silva interview out, but in it I'm pretty sure that Ryan Lay refers to Blade Runner as a Paul Verhoeven movie
Nancy Drew