Author Topic: Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On  (Read 715487 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On
« Reply #6960 on: April 02, 2023, 02:38:30 PM »
Driving an 8.5' U Haul from Minneapolis to Los Angeles was absolutely fuckin insane.  5 hours in the Colorado rockies with white out snow conditions 10,000 ft up.  Pictured my death about 50 different times.  That was the start of yesterday and then continued to haul ass through the entirety of Utah. I thought Utah was gonna be chill but it was probably even crazier hills than Colorado but at least dry roads.  Drove a total of about 18 hours yesterday and ended the night in Vegas with a night at the Bellagio and had a bomb ass time for a few hours. Slept 4 hours and finished up the drive into LA just now.  That drive definitely has me feeling traumatized but at the same time was one of the funnest experiences ever

Glad you made it.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

eSK3

« Reply #6961 on: April 05, 2023, 03:59:53 AM »
Got rear ended yesterday on the way into work. Car totaled. NOT STOKED. Emergency room trip for whiplash. NOT STOKED. Had my two set ups in the trunk, one I had just set up some new ventures on for my truck madness. Now I got this nagging feeling like I can’t skate either one or any shoes that were back there as well because they are now cursed. NOT STOKED. Soon as I get the rental car gonna buy a new set up and luckily I have an excuse to get some half cabs that fit properly and those Carroll reissues. STOKED.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #6962 on: April 05, 2023, 10:20:25 AM »
My workplace is facing a strike, and honestly there's more downsides than upsides.

sle_epy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #6963 on: April 06, 2023, 10:49:07 AM »
https://instagram.com/stories/sle_epywilliams/3075115413032726857?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY

Been trying 360 flips for two years. Hype I got this close, bummed I feel so far from landing it.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #6964 on: April 06, 2023, 11:23:40 PM »
that's already very close. i bet you're landing one very soon and then figure it out from there on how to pinch these different motions together. keep it up

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #6965 on: April 07, 2023, 07:44:18 AM »
that's already very close. i bet you're landing one very soon and then figure it out from there on how to pinch these different motions together. keep it up

Man I hope so, thanks for the vote of confidence ❤️
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #6966 on: April 12, 2023, 01:09:09 PM »
The classic: have a couple days off, but it's forecasted to be raining.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #6967 on: April 12, 2023, 04:05:12 PM »
Having beautiful Spring weather but not being able to skate because of a pulled hamstring.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #6968 on: April 24, 2023, 05:29:59 PM »
I started a new job today at a great company. I hit it off with my manager during interviews and had a great convo with them this morning.

Said manager ended up getting first in the afternoon.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #6969 on: April 24, 2023, 06:17:20 PM »
being healed enough to walk but not healed enough to skate has me back in full time graffiti writer mode

i miss skating and its way easier to explain skating a ledge downtown then spraying..

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #6970 on: April 25, 2023, 06:55:44 AM »
Decided to hit the dating apps for a month and got laid so that's cool i guess.

Except in the 2 months, going on like dates sometimes 3x a week I just realized I felt an emotional connection to none of them. I tried to be serious with a couple, but still literally couldn't care less if they just ghosted me the next day. Most of the girls I went out with were down to go for a second date etc so I know I'm hitting some sort of criteria to be datable at least. Finally after having sex it actually felt really shitty because I thought it would mean something but honestly after I just wished I stayed at home and jerked off instead.

I'm quitting the apps and just going back to being alone i guess, this isn't worth it.

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6971 on: April 25, 2023, 07:52:26 AM »
I essentially run a relatively successful company with over 5 million in yearly sales and get paid moderately well, but still don't make close to what I deserve. The thing is that I didn't have a choice, the owners have completely checked out and it was necessary in order to keep my crew (all people that I hired) employed, as the company would have folded without my leadership. It's great to gain the experience and understand all the facets of running a company this size, with the sense of accomplishment being immense at times. But on the flipside the stress load is insane, I'm literally putting the entire weight of the company onto my shoulders and when I say anything to the owners, I get lip-service and no follow-through. I'm really on the verge of leaving and as much as it hurts me to do that to my crew, it's about pure survival in the end, this is no way to live.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6972 on: April 25, 2023, 08:18:38 AM »
I essentially run a relatively successful company with over 5 million in yearly sales and get paid moderately well, but still don't make close to what I deserve. The thing is that I didn't have a choice, the owners have completely checked out and it was necessary in order to keep my crew (all people that I hired) employed, as the company would have folded without my leadership. It's great to gain the experience and understand all the facets of running a company this size, with the sense of accomplishment being immense at times. But on the flipside the stress load is insane, I'm literally putting the entire weight of the company onto my shoulders and when I say anything to the owners, I get lip-service and no follow-through. I'm really on the verge of leaving and as much as it hurts me to do that to my crew, it's about pure survival in the end, this is no way to live.

Disclaimer: I don't know your exact situation, ymmv, etc.

Coming from someone who stuck to a way-too-stressful job out of a sense of obligation to my team for much too long: Leave. They can get other jobs but you can't get another life.

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6973 on: April 25, 2023, 10:08:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Coming from someone who stuck to a way-too-stressful job out of a sense of obligation to my team for much too long: Leave. They can get other jobs but you can't get another life.

Truth and to be honest, it's felt like that for quite a while. So I got brought on to run the production facility, essentially creating production timelines, ordering raw materials, hiring employees, costing analysis, sourcing and just making sure the operation ran smoothly. Then I noticed that my bills weren't being paid on time, not because we didn't have the money, but because of sheer laziness, ultimately making me look like a fucking asshole deadbeat to my vendors. They know it's not me (because I told them who the real problem is and they know it, it's nothing new), so I took over all the companies financials on account of the fact that one owner has the mentality of a 12 year old and the other one is a shop-a-holic that can't bring himself to look at the bank account when he uses it as a slush fund. I brought people in who have the drive and ability to bring the company to that next tier, the thing they always wanted, in conjunction with revamping our product sourcing to standout from the rest of our competitors and guess what? Now they don't want to do fucking shit all of anything, let's just stay where we are, lose money and lay blame at everyone else but themselves. Fact, it's so easy to blame everyone else when you have and take 0 responsibility. I actually enjoy the work I do and the reality is I've tried my hardest to make sure everyone is treated with dignity and respect, but the reality is kids, there are people out there that will take and take and take until there is nothing left to give; exploitation at its finest. I do plan on getting the fuck away from this place in the very near future, leave the state and get back to my roots, skate hard and surround myself with good people.

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6974 on: April 26, 2023, 02:20:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Truth and to be honest, it's felt like that for quite a while. So I got brought on to run the production facility, essentially creating production timelines, ordering raw materials, hiring employees, costing analysis, sourcing and just making sure the operation ran smoothly. Then I noticed that my bills weren't being paid on time, not because we didn't have the money, but because of sheer laziness, ultimately making me look like a fucking asshole deadbeat to my vendors. They know it's not me (because I told them who the real problem is and they know it, it's nothing new), so I took over all the companies financials on account of the fact that one owner has the mentality of a 12 year old and the other one is a shop-a-holic that can't bring himself to look at the bank account when he uses it as a slush fund. I brought people in who have the drive and ability to bring the company to that next tier, the thing they always wanted, in conjunction with revamping our product sourcing to standout from the rest of our competitors and guess what? Now they don't want to do fucking shit all of anything, let's just stay where we are, lose money and lay blame at everyone else but themselves. Fact, it's so easy to blame everyone else when you have and take 0 responsibility. I actually enjoy the work I do and the reality is I've tried my hardest to make sure everyone is treated with dignity and respect, but the reality is kids, there are people out there that will take and take and take until there is nothing left to give; exploitation at its finest. I do plan on getting the fuck away from this place in the very near future, leave the state and get back to my roots, skate hard and surround myself with good people.

That sounds like just the right thing to do after such an intense period. Good on you for realizing you need a change. I encourage you to follow through with that plan, even and especially if your bosses try to sweet talk you into staying on. Keep in mind that you're going to leave one way or another anyway: either of your own accord, or because you'll burn out (please don't take that as a diss, I'm amazed you've handled such an insane workload for so long. It's just that everybody has their limit somewhere and as you said, your bosses won't ever tell you to take it easy.) There's no sense in dragging on until you have nothing left to give. Much better to get out before that happens and have some energy left for those good things in life that you've described.

On a much lighter note, I'm stoked that a friend from way back who I don't see often anymore asked me to officiate their wedding. I'm not stoked that it's gonna be a luxury destination wedding in Southern Italy. Just the flights alone are so expensive I'm considering skating there Chad Caruso style.

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6975 on: April 26, 2023, 05:23:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That sounds like just the right thing to do after such an intense period. Good on you for realizing you need a change. I encourage you to follow through with that plan, even and especially if your bosses try to sweet talk you into staying on. Keep in mind that you're going to leave one way or another anyway: either of your own accord, or because you'll burn out (please don't take that as a diss, I'm amazed you've handled such an insane workload for so long. It's just that everybody has their limit somewhere and as you said, your bosses won't ever tell you to take it easy.) There's no sense in dragging on until you have nothing left to give. Much better to get out before that happens and have some energy left for those good things in life that you've described.

On a much lighter note, I'm stoked that a friend from way back who I don't see often anymore asked me to officiate their wedding. I'm not stoked that it's gonna be a luxury destination wedding in Southern Italy. Just the flights alone are so expensive I'm considering skating there Chad Caruso style.

Appreciate it and no offense taken at all, I'm fairly realistic in regards to inevitability of burnout (I'm really there already).

The offer to officiate is a true life-hammer, but the destination wedding craze just seems, single-minded... To assume that all your guests can make that sacrifice comes off as absurd to me, but then again I think lavish weddings (whether the event itself or the destination) are ridiculous.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #6976 on: April 29, 2023, 11:50:22 AM »
Leave. Just let your people know your plan, so they can start making their own exit strategies and let the company fail on its own.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #6977 on: May 01, 2023, 07:29:08 AM »
June is a three check month for me which means I can finally get my car A/C fixed. The triple digits in Arizona started early this year. Not stoked it'll be $500 to fix but holy hell am I excited to finally be able to drive mid-day without sweating through my t-shirt.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #6978 on: May 03, 2023, 10:00:42 PM »
Stoked I got tickets to see Idles for the second time in like 6 months.

Not stoked I’m working 19 days straight without stopping, the brain is feelin a bit buzzy at this point
(I’m 9 days in)

Edit: 19 days is looking like it’s gonna become 25 days in a row. I hate this.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 01:03:36 AM by Paco Supreme »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #6979 on: May 03, 2023, 10:10:04 PM »

Not stoked I’m working 19 days straight without stopping, the brain is feelin a bit buzzy at this point
(I’m 9 days in)

Fucking hell Idles puts on such a good show. Who’s opening? Stoked for ya, power through this string of work days dude you have a killer show to look forward to.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #6980 on: May 04, 2023, 05:41:22 PM »
Getting some bigger jobs (construction business) so making good money and getting to work my own hours but man is it stressful worrying about if you're going to lose money or not. Actually I'm 100% sure I won't lose money but I might end up only making a couple hundred a day if I fuck up.

(I’m 9 days in)

You're over the hump!
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #6981 on: May 07, 2023, 08:09:28 AM »
I took a break from SLAP and social media for a little while after my recent incident.

Coming back, it was overwhelming to see 14 separate thoughtful private messages from many kind SLAP pals and I am incredibly grateful for all of you reaching out. It truly means a lot to me.

I met someone and was seeing her out of town for a week. We were way too similar though in the end. She had just lived through an even rougher, more violent attempt at her life (narrowly survived slitting her throat) and still had bandages on when we met. We never discussed any of this prior to randomly deciding to meet up. Turns out we both have children and a crazy abusive ex on top of some other things in common. Just two incredibly broken people supporting each other, which was nice but there were a lot of red flags too. She fell in love with me so quickly though and I wasn't really on the same page.  It was pretty obvious to her I wasn't ready for a relationship and that I was still in love with my ex. In fact, just the idea of my ex was looming over us the whole time until she ultimately called me at 2 am on the last day I was there, wanting to see me, and of course, my weak ass immediately answered the call and showed my true shitty crazy colours. I've been through this kind of thing a couple of times before but actually committing to the relationship and with my ex knowing I was trying to move on so she would try to sabotage it all out of spite but this time was different. I hadn't told her anything and it was purely coincidence. Still, though I knew this would happen again in the future and didn't want to hurt her or lead her on anymore. She was crying and begging me to stay but I just had to leave and call it before doing any more damage to a very vulnerable person. I still feel fucking terrible about it but it was the right decision, I just should have executed it differently.

Now my ex has gone from reluctantly seeing me to us just baring everything about who we had been with and what transpired despite us both being insanely crazy possessive people. It's pretty incredible we've managed to work through this while having insane sex and surviving a little honeymoon phase that almost quickly reverted back to old times but it really feels like we are both trying to do better. It's all so fucked and powerful feeling.

It was a nice vacation and I enjoyed my time with this new woman but I am really not proud of myself and how I handled everything.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6982 on: May 07, 2023, 09:24:18 AM »
im about to learn a bunch of cover tunes. im gunna be a street performer. i need the money. im not ready to be stuck with co-workers still. i have very little patients for non skaters non punks non street people. i dont know why.

anyway im gonna make a kick ass show and double as a recovery agent. get people beds and shit. 
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #6983 on: May 09, 2023, 05:26:30 PM »
I just had a cyst cut out of me at the hospital (stoked cause I’m a fucking weirdo) but now I shouldn’t skate for at least two days (not stoked). It’s been a weird spring.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #6984 on: May 11, 2023, 07:18:38 AM »
Signing a new lease is always a fuckin stress but also exciting at the same time too.  Finally my own spot alone but I know that'll come with its own ups and downs.  Just hope I can resist the urge to stock up on a cat or two

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #6985 on: May 11, 2023, 09:16:06 AM »
Congrats, homie! But you know you need a gang of cats.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6986 on: May 13, 2023, 12:41:22 AM »
Congrats, homie! But you know you need a gang of cats.

Literally yesterday I got offered a kitten with the same fur coat as my last little homie. As much as I wanted to say yes it's just too soon to take on another cats life. But we'll see how long I last before I need a lil squad

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #6987 on: May 14, 2023, 11:29:13 PM »
cracked the nose on my polar on a flatground hardflip yesterday. but i was able to get some decent ones afterwards while skating with the cracked but not snapped nose. then i investigated with the setup thread when i set this board up and it was september 1st. pretty long time and it held up really well. polar's are always good, about to set up an aaron herrington 8.5 later today.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6988 on: May 18, 2023, 06:18:38 PM »
Opened the door to the wrong apartment after grabbing my Uber Eats order lol.  Was one floor below mine without realizing and was horrified to see a bunch of unfamiliar shoes. Let out a muffled "shit!" and ran.  Stoked for getting away in time

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #6989 on: June 27, 2023, 05:37:15 PM »
A lady who owns this public park downtown that she donated to the city posted on our town's skatepark committee Facebook page saying she wants to remove all the skate stoppers on the concrete planters and make it a skate-friendly plaza-type spot. She's open to us building stuff there too but lots of people already have stupid ideas about adding unnecessary or ridiculous things, especially the BMX and scooter dudes. It's mostly a one-way slightly downhill ledge spot that you can also hit perpendicular to the hill then turn a corner and keep going down the same way. All the concrete is nicely finished and painted but has little chamfered edges which are kind of annoying. But it's a lot smaller of a chamfer than I've seen on most of the shitty concrete ledges you see around Canada. One of the locals is pretty adamant about getting all the good ledges set with some nice flush coping, but I'm pretty tired of grinding perfect metal coping. I want to feel my trucks on some concrete if I'm going to be cleaning used needles out of this place before I skate or help prepare it. I guess it would ensure the longevity of the spot though since the BMXers might make quick work out of the ledges otherwise.

Was going to post this in Things I'm Stoked On but I realized there's a lot about it that I'm not too stoked about either.

Also, I just remembered the lady has to post on Facebook using her relative's account because she was permanently banned for her political beliefs. I don't know what it takes to get banned from Facebook these days but that reeks of some alt-right type bullshit.

This is a shitty rendering of the spot. It goes downhill to the right and there's a fountain ledge in the middle that starts about 18 inches high and gets bigger as it goes down which you can't see from the image at all. The red oval parts have concrete under the wood which she says we can take off and I think all the wood by the big L-shaped part at the end is going to be removed as well to make more space.