Author Topic: Skatedaily.net  (Read 4887 times)

Josephine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Skatedaily.net
« on: August 21, 2007, 01:34:56 AM »
I've just noticed that Bryce Kanights has a tendency to be sarcastic towards Sheckler and Shaun White. Now, I hate those two skaters as much as the next guy, but if skatedaily is supposed to be a credible source of news, Kanights should stay the hell away from airing his personal opinion on these two skaters.

Examples:

Spin to Win

For the third time in a row, snowboarding phenom, Shaun White took to the air to spin and rise above the crop of skateboarding’s best vert skaters at the Dew Tour in Portland. After his second run Snow White emerged once again as “the guy to beat.” Yeah, Shaun is that good, especially when technical lip tricks and switch skills are no longer scored highly as lofty (and stinkbug) rodeo rotations. We’re not complaining, we’re just making an observation that The Flying Tomato has ushered in another paradigm of progression on the towering Skatelite battlefield…it’s called “fly high, or die grinding.”

Posted by bk

Lutzka Upsets Sheckler

The Dew Tour Skate Park Finals ended with a big upset this afternoon. With cameras aimed from all angles toward media favorite Ryan Sheckler during the finals, the golden child just couldn’t keep his feet on the grip tape and missed a few too many tricks. Brought to tears prior to podium time, Ryan’s life is in fact a true show of reality. Sometimes you win…sometimes you just skate like everyone else.

Posted by bk

Bryce: Do you have any comments to this, because it just makes you come off as a jaded old man, and does the, normally pretty good, site no justice.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
Re: Skatedaily.net
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:40:52 AM »
I personally like the fact that he voices his opinions on his website. Everything doesn't have to be so politically correct. People like Shaun White need to be shown their place and if skate sites don't do it, then who's going to?

monster network

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:57:13 AM »
also agree, fuck it, say what you see and call it

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 01:57:53 AM »
i run a skate news website and i don't comment on what's going on, but every person can include their views if they want to (it's their website)...

and in skateboarding, some peoples opinions are worth "gold" and they can get away with saying pretty muck anything, so why can't someone with years of experience in skateboarding world (i guees he has seen his share of skate industry) voice his own views? this is common practice on other news (non-corporate) websites...

even if he was lurking these forums and is faking his attitude, he's at least voicing ours.

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 02:07:17 AM »
What media outlet isn't biased?
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

Josephine

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:09:49 AM »
I totally agree with skate sites being allowed to voice their opinion. My concern is with Skatedaily.net, which is just a site where very short news blogs are posted, no articles what so ever. Of course Bryce is entitled to feel exactly how he does about White and Shecks, but if he want to show his opinion about them in public, then that should be done on another site, or in a magazine, as a commentary.

I just want skatedaily.net to be biased-free, and a non-judgmental site for skateboarding news.. there are plenty of other sites out there with commentary and debate style types of articles.

baxter

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:12:04 AM »
he cryed what a pussy

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:44:25 AM »
BK has earned the right to say whatever he wants. Go read Transworld for your unbiased news. Oh yeah, those guys are swinging from Sheckler's nuts...
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

Hastings

• Rep: 37
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 04:00:46 AM »
I glad skatedaily isn't a bland sugar coated press release site.

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 04:04:31 AM »
BK's had a ligtimate skate career and photo career WAY before either of those kids were born, they are both there milking money from the teet of skateboarding, and if they weren't good at it, or making the money they do, i think we all know there "love" of the sport would have probably drifted away long ago. . . .

As far as i'm concerned at least he's saying what everyone else is thinking, i'm suprised he didn't have a point on Bob's win at the x games
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

Home Skillet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 04:06:34 AM »
Josephine, seems too young to understand.  

hakken

• Rep: 2
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 04:21:57 AM »
As far as i'm concerned at least he's saying what everyone else is thinking, i'm suprised he didn't have a point on Bob's win at the x games

Isn't he the TM of Adidas? cause that might be a reason to stay away from commenting on the big air situation with jake on adidas and all.

bobjohn

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 04:24:36 AM »
Here's some unbiased TWS industry hobnobbing:

http://www.twsbiz.com/twbiz/gohuge/0,21245,1650774-1,00.html

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2549
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 04:26:01 AM »
Taken after a heavy ledge session.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

fuckingvegan

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 05:50:34 AM »
Josephine just got a beer from TNT.... fuck it Bryce pays for the site let him talk all the shit he wants on snowboard kooks and other horrid things about todays "skateboarding".

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 05:55:28 AM »
Shit sounded refreshing to me... It shows BK has a little inteligence behind just "the facts." Made for an interesting read.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 06:03:49 AM »
"I love skateboarding so much I wish it would die" - Jason Jesse

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 06:39:24 AM »
I back Bryce.

And really, if those are examples of his bias, then I gotta say that's pretty fucking tame.

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 07:07:54 AM »
The guy that posted this needs to leave right now. There is no excuse for this thread.
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 07:37:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Isn't he the TM of Adidas? cause that might be a reason to stay away from commenting on the big air situation with jake on adidas and all.

Yeah i guess that could really be taken out of context if he did bitch about it (or speak the truth) as a rival Team Manager having ago at the winner, could be dishing the dirt and all.

That's a hard one that's probably best left alone, i think everyone knows what they think about what Bob did - money, money, money. . .

As for BK i wish more people in the industry would pipe up and call it how it is, it's lame that there are people making money simply off comps and milking it, when there's skaters out there who genuily love skating and get basically nothing out of it, Ricky Oyola being a prime example of someone who's "kept it real" is rad and isn't making anything near a "high" wage.. . .

Ahh the same old privalaged few getting the cash, while the working man gets nothing - just like real life
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 07:55:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah i guess that could really be taken out of context if he did bitch about it (or speak the truth) as a rival Team Manager having ago at the winner, could be dishing the dirt and all.

That's a hard one that's probably best left alone, i think everyone knows what they think about what Bob did - money, money, money. . .

As for BK i wish more people in the industry would pipe up and call it how it is, it's lame that there are people making money simply off comps and milking it, when there's skaters out there who genuily love skating and get basically nothing out of it, Ricky Oyola being a prime example of someone who's "kept it real" is rad and isn't making anything near a "high" wage.. . .

Ahh the same old privalaged few getting the cash, while the working man gets nothing - just like real life

I can't really blame contest skaters. $10,000 for six minutes of skating? That's what some pros make in a year.
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 07:56:56 AM »
there are plenty of other sites out there with commentary and debate style types of articles.

No there aren't. All the skate mag sites pander to sponsors for advertising and can't be critical of riders. Phelps comes the closest but I'm sure he even holds his tongue when it comes to the big names who stand behind high paying sponsors.

You've pretty much sold me on Skatedaily; before your post I never checked it and could care less about BK. Are you sure you're not BK stoking the countmeter on your website?

skate

• Rep: -5
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 08:07:47 AM »
He just stated what he feels is the truth I am sure that if you watch the dew tour you may notice one or two people whose skating is more progressive than snow white. I dont think he bullied him but just called it like he saw it.

beerice

• Rep: 4
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 08:23:45 AM »
I've just noticed that Bryce Kanights has a tendency to be sarcastic towards Sheckler and Shaun White. Now, I hate those two skaters as much as the next guy, but if skatedaily is supposed to be a credible source of news, Kanights should stay the hell away from airing his personal opinion on these two skaters.

Alright, I've been alerted to this thread and feel the need to chime in here. This is BK and I'm solely responsible for my own news posts on SkateDaily.net My cohort Chris Sprouls handles his posts as well.

It appears that Josephine got her little feathers ruffled a bit by my posts over the weekend. Well, skateboarding isn't supposed to be nice and sugar coated so get used to it darling. In my posts on SkateDaily.net mentioned by her I must've struck a nerve. Personally, I don't hate Ryan or Shaun (as shes states). Both of them skate well in their own right and have pushed skatings progression. My sarcasm is more pointed towards the mainstream media outlets which hype up their televised skate events with their chosen number one "athlete" to sell crappy soft drinks, slim jims, shaving cream, armed forces recruitment and other illicit goods to skaters.

I experienced the Dew Tour in Portland for the first time. It was ugly and the farthest thing from skateboarding that I've ever witnessed.

So if my little rant with Shecks and White came off a bit biased to you Josephine, I'm NOT sorry. That's just the way it is.

And yeah, for the record, I still remain unbiased and true to skateboarding and skateboarders.

PS - adidas receives no special love on SkateDaily.net  Do you see a banner on the site?

Thanks,

bk
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:27:07 AM by beerice »

biggums mcgee

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 08:35:18 AM »
here here

it's funny how industry heads are always alerted (ie. bryce, castrucci, the dudes at enjoi, thomas etc.) to a controversial topic concerning the way the run things and their opinions. SLAP really does have the whole world in it's hands

Josephine

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 08:46:28 AM »
Hi Bryce and thank you for your reply.

I stated in the initial post that I don't care for these two skaters personally, so you have definitely not struck any nerve there. I was simply confused about the credibility of the site, I thought the whole point was to not have any personal judgements, just pure news for any and all of the companies and pros.

There's a different between news and commentary, which many of you seem to have confused.

As far as corporate involvement is concerned, I couldn't agree more with you. I was at an Asian X Games event last year, and it was pretty much the most disgusting thing I've ever witnessed, highlighted with some top vert pros doing "stunts" with rollerbladers.

Once again, thanks for your reply. I have the utmost respect for you as a skater and photographer, and I will still keep checking your site - although with a grain of biased salt.

isaac

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 08:49:47 AM »
well said Bryce. i agree.

--Vibetek--

• Rep: 7
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 08:53:19 AM »
Thanks BK. Skateboarding is being whored by the mainstream and it's good to see the people with a voice using it.

Josephine, every media outlet in skateboarding is bias. Some may not express an opinion like Bryce did (mostly for fear of upsetting advertisers), but they all do it through choosing who or what get's coverage.
"Big sky looking down at all the people looking up at the big sky"

beerice

• Rep: 4
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 09:03:31 AM »
There's a different between news and commentary, which many of you seem to have confused.

Josephine and Slap Pals, consider the posts on SkateDaily.net as "news commentary". As skaters, we call it as we see it. As with the Daily Show, if someone is kooking it out there, they deserve the recognition. If they're shredding or doing something positive for skating, the deserve the same. If you don't personally like it, change the channel.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 739
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 09:09:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Alright, I've been alerted to this thread and feel the need to chime in here. This is BK and I'm solely responsible for my own news posts on SkateDaily.net My cohort Chris Sprouls handles his posts as well.

It appears that Josephine got her little feathers ruffled a bit by my posts over the weekend. Well, skateboarding isn't supposed to be nice and sugar coated so get used to it darling. In my posts on SkateDaily.net mentioned by her I must've struck a nerve. Personally, I don't hate Ryan or Shaun (as shes states). Both of them skate well in their own right and have pushed skatings progression. My sarcasm is more pointed towards the mainstream media outlets which hype up their televised skate events with their chosen number one "athlete" to sell crappy soft drinks, slim jims, shaving cream, armed forces recruitment and other illicit goods to skaters.

I experienced the Dew Tour in Portland for the first time. It was ugly and the farthest thing from skateboarding that I've ever witnessed.

So if my little rant with Shecks and White came off a bit biased to you Josephine, I'm NOT sorry. That's just the way it is.

And yeah, for the record, I still remain unbiased and true to skateboarding and skateboarders.

PS - adidas receives no special love on SkateDaily.net  Do you see a banner on the site?

Thanks,

bk

This chick is crazy! BK is a straight up guy who says it like it is, and the tone change from the her 1st to the last post, yeah real subtle. flip flopin like a fish out of water. no pun intended.