Author Topic: Skatedaily.net  (Read 4888 times)

sweets

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skatedaily.net
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 09:26:33 AM »
I personally have always checked out BK's site because it is news commentary from (apparently 2) people who share similar ideas towards skateboarding. I don't watch Fox News because I know it's just right wing propaganda....

BTW, good job w/ the Adidas team thus far. Keep it up, BK!
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 09:33:01 AM »
Josephine WHITE or Josephine SHECKLER?

Who's mom are you?

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 09:53:49 AM »
Josephine, baby. This will all  be resolved if you send us your myspace address.

TROPICS

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »
el oh el at beatrix calling for first rate journalistic standards on an independent skateboard news blog. by and large, the only real commentary in skateboarding is going to be on the internet.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 10:37:21 AM »
I totally agree with skate sites being allowed to voice their opinion. My concern is with Skatedaily.net, which is just a site where very short news blogs are posted, no articles what so ever. Of course Bryce is entitled to feel exactly how he does about White and Shecks, but if he want to show his opinion about them in public, then that should be done on another site, or in a magazine, as a commentary.

I just want skatedaily.net to be biased-free, and a non-judgmental site for skateboarding news.. there are plenty of other sites out there with commentary and debate style types of articles.

"I just want skatedaily.net to be biased-free, and a non-judgmental site for skateboarding news."
...and I want Metallica to be rad again, but we can't always get what we want. We just have to take what we're given and if we don't like it, we look somewhere else.
"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 10:56:21 AM »
Josephine WHITE or Josephine SHECKLER?

Who's mom are you?

Heh heh heh.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 10:57:11 AM »
...and I want Metallica to be rad again, but we can't always get what we want.

So very true...

truthbetold

• Rep: 3
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 11:06:39 AM »
Expand Quote
I've just noticed that Bryce Kanights has a tendency to be sarcastic towards Sheckler and Shaun White. Now, I hate those two skaters as much as the next guy, but if skatedaily is supposed to be a credible source of news, Kanights should stay the hell away from airing his personal opinion on these two skaters.
[close]

Alright, I've been alerted to this thread and feel the need to chime in here. This is BK and I'm solely responsible for my own news posts on SkateDaily.net My cohort Chris Sprouls handles his posts as well.

It appears that Josephine got her little feathers ruffled a bit by my posts over the weekend. Well, skateboarding isn't supposed to be nice and sugar coated so get used to it darling. In my posts on SkateDaily.net mentioned by her I must've struck a nerve. Personally, I don't hate Ryan or Shaun (as shes states). Both of them skate well in their own right and have pushed skatings progression. My sarcasm is more pointed towards the mainstream media outlets which hype up their televised skate events with their chosen number one "athlete" to sell crappy soft drinks, slim jims, shaving cream, armed forces recruitment and other illicit goods to skaters.

I experienced the Dew Tour in Portland for the first time. It was ugly and the farthest thing from skateboarding that I've ever witnessed.

So if my little rant with Shecks and White came off a bit biased to you Josephine, I'm NOT sorry. That's just the way it is.

And yeah, for the record, I still remain unbiased and true to skateboarding and skateboarders.

PS - adidas receives no special love on SkateDaily.net  Do you see a banner on the site?

Thanks,

bk

Yeah BK. Tellin it like he see's it!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 11:10:57 AM by truthbetold »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2007, 11:15:55 AM »
in related news, look what a link crawlled into my e-mail adress:
http://www.2nrvm.com/survey/fillsurvey.php?sid=6

truthbetold

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2007, 11:18:03 AM »
I've just noticed that Bryce Kanights has a tendency to be sarcastic towards Sheckler and Shaun White. Now, I hate those two skaters as much as the next guy, but if skatedaily is supposed to be a credible source of news, Kanights should stay the hell away from airing his personal opinion on these two skaters.

Examples:

Spin to Win

For the third time in a row, snowboarding phenom, Shaun White took to the air to spin and rise above the crop of skateboarding’s best vert skaters at the Dew Tour in Portland. After his second run Snow White emerged once again as “the guy to beat.” Yeah, Shaun is that good, especially when technical lip tricks and switch skills are no longer scored highly as lofty (and stinkbug) rodeo rotations. We’re not complaining, we’re just making an observation that The Flying Tomato has ushered in another paradigm of progression on the towering Skatelite battlefield…it’s called “fly high, or die grinding.”

Posted by bk

Lutzka Upsets Sheckler

The Dew Tour Skate Park Finals ended with a big upset this afternoon. With cameras aimed from all angles toward media favorite Ryan Sheckler during the finals, the golden child just couldn’t keep his feet on the grip tape and missed a few too many tricks. Brought to tears prior to podium time, Ryan’s life is in fact a true show of reality. Sometimes you win…sometimes you just skate like everyone else.

Posted by bk

Bryce: Do you have any comments to this, because it just makes you come off as a jaded old man, and does the, normally pretty good, site no justice.

If you hate them both then why do you even care?

Jackers

• Rep: 11
  • Thanks GRL
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2007, 11:24:35 AM »
You know what's more bully? Sheckler not signing my redbull cap, coz' he thinks im going to sell it on ebay and make money from his autograf.
Idle

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2007, 01:24:31 PM »
You know what's more bully? Sheckler not signing my redbull cap, coz' he thinks im going to sell it on ebay and make money from his autograf.

Wow, you have a Redbull hat?
"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2007, 01:29:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck yea.

bornindabay

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2007, 01:34:02 PM »
I personally like the fact that he voices his opinions on his website. Everything doesn't have to be so politically correct. People like Shaun White need to be shown their place and if skate sites don't do it, then who's going to?

That is so right on about Shaun White's rodeo flips. They are sooooo gross and just look like a snowboarding trick. I liked the read. You gotta realize that the dew games themselves are teaching kids about skating. BK is just doing his bid in reminding the skateworld that a contest isn't everything.

Sheckler cried cause he didn't win? hehehehehehehheeh

Combs

• Rep: 10
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2007, 01:55:02 PM »
someone should tell him that crying after you lose is unsportsmanlike....that should get him to stop

Sheep

• Rep: -10
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2007, 01:55:44 PM »
BK, keep up the straight talk, man! We need more voices of reason in skateboarding.

Leave the politically correct cajoling of skateboarding's A-holes to EXPN and TransWorld.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2007, 01:57:06 PM »
If Bryce wants to put on his site that he hates Sheckler and White, why can't he? If I'm not mistaken, it is his site, and if he's going to post up hate at least make it hate that most everyone can agree on. KEEP IT UP BRYCE!
Fuck the dew games.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

bornindabay

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2007, 01:59:10 PM »
someone should tell him that crying after you lose is unsportsmanlike....that should get him to stop

hehehe I like that. Gotta put it in a jock sort of way by using the word "sportsmanship" for it to get through. ;D

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »
BK, keep up the straight talk, man! We need more voices of reason in skateboarding.

Leave the politically correct cajoling of skateboarding's A-holes to EXPN and TransWorld.

And the Skateboard Mag.

clarkie

• Rep: 23
    • Real Skate avatar image
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2007, 02:17:53 PM »
I don't think it's bullying, Sheckler and White are free game when it comes to letting the world know they do not represent neither what skateboarders, their style, or most skateboarding competitors are really like. Unfortunately, their actions is what the world is seeing. I even publically said something like they both should be shot on my opinion page! I'm probably the guiltiest of outspoken opinion.

On the other hand, concerning SD, I too thought they primarily just posted skate news, with not much commentary or opinion. I had a conversation with Chris a couple of weeks ago after reading their post about Burnquist being against the Olympics. I thought it would be fitting to post the petition with it as well (which Burnquist and other pros signed). I thought it would be just news with SD not having to even take sides, but Chris felt they shouldn't post it. His words: "We also don't want to throw our site on either side of this debate. We just want to state the facts and have the skaters make up their minds." I thought 2,000 signatures backing Burnquist would be factual.

I feel media should do whatever they feel is right, but I later realized SD and everybody has personal interests to protect as well. Bk is on the USAS board of directors in favor of taking skateboarding TO the Olympics, so it made sense not to advertise the petition. It would just be good to be consistent in policy. No biggie.

daboss

• Rep: -56
  • ollies r teh fun
    • olliemag avatar image
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2007, 02:28:15 PM »
I don't think it's bullying, Sheckler and White are free game when it comes to letting the world know they do not represent neither what skateboarders, their style, or most skateboarding competitors are really like. Unfortunately, their actions is what the world is seeing. I even publically said something like they both should be shot on my opinion page! I'm probably the guiltiest of outspoken opinion.

On the other hand, concerning SD, I too thought they primarily just posted skate news, with not much commentary or opinion. I had a conversation with Chris a couple of weeks ago after reading their post about Burnquist being against the Olympics. I thought it would be fitting to post the petition with it as well (which Burnquist and other pros signed). I thought it would be just news with SD not having to even take sides, but Chris felt they shouldn't post it. His words: "We also don't want to throw our site on either side of this debate. We just want to state the facts and have the skaters make up their minds." I thought 2,000 signatures backing Burnquist would be factual.

I feel media should do whatever they feel is right, but I later realized SD and everybody has personal interests to protect as well. Bk is on the USAS board of directors in favor of taking skateboarding TO the Olympics, so it made sense not to advertise the petition. It would just be good to be consistent in policy. No biggie.

Shaun White is a nice guy that loves skateboarding. What's wrong with that?

FuckNameLock

• OG Bdotkilla za Thrilla
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2007, 02:32:51 PM »
ok bk... you support skating in the olympics? what the fuck man

Jackers

• Rep: 11
  • Thanks GRL
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2007, 02:44:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah dude, Not exactly hat but a sun visor.

Idle

bornindabay

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2007, 03:12:15 PM »
Oh that makes it better.

ehehehe ;D
 Just messing

isaac

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2007, 04:06:53 PM »
JT loves the visor.

bornindabay

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2007, 04:15:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shaun White is a nice guy that loves skateboarding. What's wrong with that?

Nothing. It's his donkey flips. He reminds me of that Ryan Nyquest guy. Same line every contest. No progression or excitement just snowboard looking spins. Yeah, I watched the bmxers the other day out of boredom. Kill me.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2007, 04:24:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah dude, Not exactly hat but a sun visor.

Awesome!!!

headache

• Rep: -5
  • SHUTTHEFUCKUP!
    • Three stripe hype avatar image
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2007, 04:27:05 PM »
Those of you coming down on BK have obviously never seen his curb nosepicks.
He won many a contest back in the day nose picking his way across street courses.
I believe him not to be a fan of big air.
A dingo hyena ate my baby.

bornindabay

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2007, 05:09:10 PM »
Bk hooked me up with my first photo ever. I was even wearing a schmidt stix shirt with a Steve Douglas deck. Anyhow, he was pretty cool about letting me try a couple different tricks. Usually when a known photographer takes a flick of an unknown skater he'll tell him what trick to do. Bryce just said do some ollies first and see where that goes. Of course I had to do a shifty ollie. Years later we got into an arguement about soty cause I thought Kareem clearly deserved it but he thought the guy who won it did.  I was drunk and acting stupid. We didn't talk for years. Then one day I saw him and we chatted for a minute. Bygons be bygons and he never held that shit against me or tried to use his thrasher senoriority against me. He was a man about it and he's a real thrasher/sf og. He's got my respect as a man and as a dude in the industry.

[email protected]

• Rep: 1
    • SKATEDAILY.net avatar image
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2007, 05:20:04 PM »
Hey, just thought I’d jump in here…

Re: BK being a bully.
After reading and re-reading those posts, I really can’t find what parts were not "credible". Shaun White won a vert contest by launching large 'stinkbug' airs. Tight technical tricks were not rewarded as much as lofty, obviously sloppy, rotational tricks. Fact. Now, was this written in a dry and simple way? No. Could it be argued that big airs are better than switch and tech vert tricks? Sure. But, like most who post here, we actually skate and know how different these tricks are. And we were reporting that it seems that the judging has switched sides. And Sheckler? He cried. We saw it. Where’s the personal opinion? "Sometimes you win…sometimes you just skate like everyone else." After winning every stop on the Dew tour so far, is this a dig at Sheckler? No. It’s what happened.

You also won’t get dry, boring news posts from us simply stating contest results. Josephine might like that, but I’m guessing the rest of readers would not.

Past that we just try and put up news and posts that we feel true skaters are going to be interested in. I feel, like Bryce, that real skaters will see what’s happening in the Dew judging and understand why we posted it as we did.

Re: Team Manager bias.
Insane and foolish. We were the first to post a link to Dave Carnie’s posting on Jake Brown and reported Bob’s win as well. If you look at our shoe reviews and everything else, there is no favoritism. You won't find any examples any where on the site...period.

Re: Clarkie, Olympics
I was being polite in saying I didn’t want to post her petition to 'keep things even'. Truth be told I just feel that online petitions are pointless and never work. And it wasn’t a news item…you just wanted traffic to your petition, which we felt is a waste of time for our users. We posted the news item about Bob. It’s our choice and we felt another online petition wasn’t news. I’ll let BK respond to the USAS portion of your email…but it’s pretty clear that you have no idea what you’re talking about in regards to that issue.

Finally, thanks to everyone to checks out the site. I’m just a skateboarder who thought there should be a daily news site online and worked to make it happen. I think we do a solid job with our content but value any and all feedback.

And if you don’t like the site...don’t visit it, or better yet, create your own. The great thing about the internet is, you have no excuses…anyone can start a website.

Now go skating,

.:   Chris