Author Topic: Josh Swindell and Danny Way  (Read 51484 times)

NickDagger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Josh Swindell and Danny Way
« on: August 23, 2007, 05:51:37 PM »
Okay, I was banned supposedly because I talked about this in every thread. So lets see if freedom of speech is still cool on tha slap board.

I was only asking questions about something that happened, that i've heard tid bits about from multiple sources, including Big Brother, and the following listed below:

'The Danny Way story'

Danny Way, Josh Swindell, and Steven Matus were at a bar in LA. They were drunk. They some how came into contact with the Keith Ogden, who was homosexual. There was an altercation. At then end Mr. Ogden was dead with a cinderblock to the head. Swindell claims the Ogden was really drunk, had a gun, and kept coming-on to Swindell and the others. Swindell admits to hitting Ogden. However, Swindell claims that Ogden had a pre-exisitng head injury that lead to his death. Without this injury, I guess it would have just been a "normal" gay bashing. The other side of the story was that Swindell and crew were out looking to beat up someone who was gay. Danny Way was never charged with anything but I believe he was at the trial.

There were various stories on this event and trial in other mags, but never in any major skate publications. Strange huh? I'm sure people on here will poke holes in this or deny Way's involvement, but he was there and it's WELL known that Swindell took the heat to protect him. There's also the Big Brother interview with Way who gets VERY angry when asked about the possibility of his son being gay...and him going off on the subject.

Yes, he is Mr. Megaramp / Great Wall of China / HardRock superstar...but he's the worst kind of jock. It's funny how skateboarders spend so much time talking about how superior they are in all ways but still can't get past this issue. With all the anti-jock talk, it seems ironic how much of a boys club skateboarding can be.

Now let the homophobic comments fly...I'm not going to be surprised.

and

http://www.outsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37796

On July 7, 1993 part of my world collapsed. That was the day Keith Ogden died.

It was the first (reported) gay-bashing-murder to hit the skateboard world. Worse, the one skater I idolized was some how involved. You may have heard of him, as he is quite famous. His name is Danny Way.

The facts were in dispute. However, a jury found that Josh Swindell was guilty of a second-degree hate crime murder*. He is now in jail for life.

Word on the street was that Danny, Josh, and Steven Matus were out in L.A. somewhere. They were drunk. They some how came into contact with the Keith Ogden. There was an altercation. At then end Mr. Ogden was dead. Swindell claims the Ogden was really drunk, had a gun, and kept coming-on to Swindell and the others. Swindell admits to hitting Ogden. However, Swindell claims that Ogden had a pre-exisitng head injury that lead to his death. Without this injury, I guess it would have just been a "normal" gay bashing. The other side of the story was that Swindell and crew were out looking to beat up someone who was gay. Either way, he killed someone. As far as I know, Danny Way was never charged with anything, and I do not know the extent of his involvement. However, it is known that he was there.

I skated with Danny Way earlier that winter at the now defunct Z.T. Maximus Skatepark in Cambridge, MA. He was on tour with Alphonzo Rawls, and the two stopped by. Danny was my childhood hero and favorite skater. I tried to skate like him, had a zillion pictures of him on bedroom wall, rode his pro model board, etc. I also had a huge crush on him. It was looking at picture him, that I first realized I was "gay." Now, here was, some how involved with a gay-bash-murder. My closet couldn't have been deeper.

*That article is quite dated, and should be noted that Mike Vallely is still a professional skateboarder in 2007.

and

http://hrc.org/Content/NavigationMenu/HRC/Get_Informed/Issues/Hate_Crimes1/Background_Information5/decade_violence.pdf

and more...

I have no idea what happened, and apparently no one else does either. I'm a bit unsure why it's taboo to ask questions.

Someone said they knew for a fact that Danny wasn't even there and was in fact passed out at the bar while it happened. If thats so tell us how you know this. So we can put it to rest.

Who's afraid of truth?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:16:45 PM by NickDagger »
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Duffy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • talkin mad shit kid
Re: Josh Swindell and Danny Way
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »
No, you weren't "asking questions".

You were fucking spamming the board with pointless posts.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 06:01:13 PM »
i doubt anyone here can help clarify the matter much more than the articles youve posted.  what do you expect?  some detectives to be posting here, or for d.way to come tell you all about it?

try to post on other topics for awhile.  why test the moderators' patience by going on about this topic over and over and over and over, when you dont actually have anything substantive to contribute to it?

bornindabay

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:10:13 PM »
Okay, I was banned supposedly because I talked about this in every thread. So lets see if freedom of speech is still cool on tha slap board.

I was only asking questions about something that happened, that i've heard tid bits about from multiple sources, including Big Brother, and the following listed below:

Expand Quote
'The Danny Way story'

Danny Way, Josh Swindell, and Steven Matus were at a bar in LA. They were drunk. They some how came into contact with the Keith Ogden, who was homosexual. There was an altercation. At then end Mr. Ogden was dead with a cinderblock to the head. Swindell claims the Ogden was really drunk, had a gun, and kept coming-on to Swindell and the others. Swindell admits to hitting Ogden. However, Swindell claims that Ogden had a pre-exisitng head injury that lead to his death. Without this injury, I guess it would have just been a "normal" gay bashing. The other side of the story was that Swindell and crew were out looking to beat up someone who was gay. Danny Way was never charged with anything but I believe he was at the trial.

There were various stories on this event and trial in other mags, but never in any major skate publications. Strange huh? I'm sure people on here will poke holes in this or deny Way's involvement, but he was there and it's WELL known that Swindell took the heat to protect him. There's also the Big Brother interview with Way who gets VERY angry when asked about the possibility of his son being gay...and him going off on the subject.

Yes, he is Mr. Megaramp / Great Wall of China / HardRock superstar...but he's the worst kind of jock. It's funny how skateboarders spend so much time talking about how superior they are in all ways but still can't get past this issue. With all the anti-jock talk, it seems ironic how much of a boys club skateboarding can be.

Now let the homophobic comments fly...I'm not going to be surprised.
[close]

and

http://www.outsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37796

Expand Quote

It was the first (reported) gay-bashing-murder to hit the skateboard world. Worse, the one skater I idolized was some how involved. You may have heard of him, as he is quite famous. His name is Danny Way.

The facts were in dispute. However, a jury found that Josh Swindell was guilty of a second-degree hate crime murder*. He is now in jail for life.

Word on the street was that Danny, Josh, and Steven Matus were out in L.A. somewhere. They were drunk. They some how came into contact with the Keith Ogden. There was an altercation. At then end Mr. Ogden was dead. Swindell claims the Ogden was really drunk, had a gun, and kept coming-on to Swindell and the others. Swindell admits to hitting Ogden. However, Swindell claims that Ogden had a pre-exisitng head injury that lead to his death. Without this injury, I guess it would have just been a "normal" gay bashing. The other side of the story was that Swindell and crew were out looking to beat up someone who was gay. Either way, he killed someone. As far as I know, Danny Way was never charged with anything, and I do not know the extent of his involvement. However, it is known that he was there.

I skated with Danny Way earlier that winter at the now defunct Z.T. Maximus Skatepark in Cambridge, MA. He was on tour with Alphonzo Rawls, and the two stopped by. Danny was my childhood hero and favorite skater. I tried to skate like him, had a zillion pictures of him on bedroom wall, rode his pro model board, etc. I also had a huge crush on him. It was looking at picture him, that I first realized I was "gay." Now, here was, some how involved with a gay-bash-murder. My closet couldn't have been deeper.

*That article is quite dated, and should be noted that Mike Vallely is still a professional skateboarder in 2007.
[close]

and

http://hrc.org/Content/NavigationMenu/HRC/Get_Informed/Issues/Hate_Crimes1/Background_Information5/decade_violence.pdf

and more...

I have no idea what happened, and apparently no one else does either. I'm a bit unsure why it's taboo to ask questions.

Someone said they knew for a fact that Danny wasn't even there and was in fact passed out at the bar while it happened. If thats so tell us how you know this. So we can put it to rest.

Who's afraid of truth?

Danny Way is innocent dude. Ronnie Bertino was there and called me at 5 am that morning. He told me what happened. Danny is innocent and would have never approved of that.

Danny Way doesn't deserve this. I've heard some really rotten things about him and his youth but when he sponsored me I got to know him. He's the chillest dude and his jockness is actually funny, in a good way. He has a big heart that many people haven't seen. And he's such force that you can't help but to want to listen to Slayer and be into whatever he's into. THE BEST VERT SKATER EVER!!!!!!!!!!

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 06:17:25 PM »

For real.
Didn't you know that the Slap boards originated in the Middle East? Apparently, they're really into Ricky Oyola and Bobby Puleo, which explains a lot of the things you read here. So watch your fucking mouth before you start your free speech bullshit.
By the way, that was a fucking quick 30 days.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:17:55 PM »
Danny Way is innocent dude. Ronnie Bertino was there and called me at 5 am that morning. He told me what happened. Danny is innocent and would have never approved of that.

What happened then?

I've heard 7 different versions.

bornindabay

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »

A Guy me and Mike went to Jr High with is on that list. It wasn't a gay bashing but he called him a fag while beating him up. Dude died and appartently
The da was up for re election so now he's serving life I think. It really should have been just manslaughter. His name is Edgar. Can't think of his last name
but he's on that list. I seen it before.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 06:20:38 PM »
Expand Quote
chris cole did this warming up.
[close]

that was a fucking quick 30 days.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 06:21:07 PM »

Wait a minute... Mike V wrote that? I thought he had a wife?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 06:22:41 PM »
Wait a minute... Mike V wrote that? I thought he had a wife?

nah check the link above it, thats referring to an article the story is linked to.

bornindabay

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 06:25:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What happened then?

I already posted it. It was erased. I guess someone didn't want that out there, and they were right. I should have thought about that before opening my big mouth. I'll just say trust me, he didn't do it and wasn't even able to, but he was there.

Penis_Monster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 07:01:24 PM »

A Guy me and Mike went to Jr High with is on that list. It wasn't a gay bashing but he called him a fag while beating him up. Dude died and appartently
The da was up for re election so now he's serving life I think. It really should have been just manslaughter. His name is Edgar. Can't think of his last name

you and mike v went to middle school together?
"I FEAR NO MAN"

picklesickshuv-it

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 07:09:30 PM »
so over this

Lumpy Oatmeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • only the classics
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 07:11:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you and mike v went to middle school together?

im pretty sure he means carroll
and yall dont need to be worryin about my rep, if yall really need to know, its cause no other rapper on here gully enough to do the dirt dolo i done
[quote author=drunk link=topic=46570.msg125

fuckingvegan

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 07:16:29 PM »
Listening to Limp Wrist at the moment.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 07:39:32 PM »

"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

barr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 07:40:36 PM »

he did all this stuff way after 93
so i'm sure that has nothing to do with it

cahl

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 07:43:47 PM »
i can't read, well at least all the shit.

so ok

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 08:03:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What happened then?

[close]

I already posted it. It was erased. I guess someone didn't want that out there, and they were right. I should have thought about that before opening my big mouth. I'll just say trust me, he didn't do it and wasn't even able to, but he was there.

Well I appreciate you putting it out there, even if someone's deleting it for some reason.

I'd love to hear it though, i'll drop it forever if I can get the real story from a reliable source.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 08:06:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No, thats what I was doing for like a few hours, then I starting discussing the issue seriously...and THEN was banned.

GattMood

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 08:07:40 PM »
Either way, Swindell killed a gay dude, fucked up. Someone reliable please just clear it up so we can all be over the incident. Sanch, set the record straight.

Wykydtron

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 08:39:59 PM »
so Danny way killed a gay guy ?

joking, but thanks for clearing up what the hell you were spamming about dagger, i just joined recently and thought it was some stupid running joke.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 08:41:20 PM »
It was looking at picture of him, that I first realized I was "gay."
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

bornindabay

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 08:45:55 PM »
Either way, Swindell killed a gay dude, fucked up. Someone reliable please just clear it up so we can all be over the incident. Sanch, set the record straight.

Swindell killed a gay dude, fucked up.

There's nothing really much else to say. You guys are like a group of sharks and I aint throwing Danny overboard. ;) Nah really, that's pretty much it in a nut shell.
Danny WAS NOT participating in the jump nor condoned it.

I guess I could feed  you guys a little chum... Apparently, later that night,  Swindel knocked on the door of on the guys' house who was involved and was covered with blood from head to toe. I heard from his knees down it was solid blood and above that was smears and splatter. He was the one who used the cinder block and heard they MAY have even matched his sneaker tread to the impressions on his face. Anyways, the guys mom answered the door and thought he was injured. As soon as she realized he was not hurt at all she slammed the door. The guy had already left town. I guess there was some other guys there too. Some mexican gangster guys or maybe it was just that other guy, not sure. Danny had the white monster truck that night and am sure he wouldn't have taken those mexican gangsters there.  They were friends of Swindell.When Josh came out from the mexican prison he acted like he was a mexican gangster and supposively hung out with a lot of them after being released. When a guy does hard time it changes you. He was just on another level of madness. Anyways, I heard you guys saying Josh was trying to implicate Danny so... Just wanted to back him. Where'd you guys hear this about Josh implicating Danny?

GattMood

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 08:49:06 PM »
Thanks Sanch, hopefully everyone can be over the whole thing.

bornindabay

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 08:56:22 PM »
Fuck, useless knowledge now. Just wanted no doubts  about Danny's role. Dude helped me out a lot. And yeah, he's like the Sheckler of vert. But ya gotta understand his earlier years were just raw footage and pretty much clowning Tony Hawk. Foo straight embarassed T. Mag in the old H st. vid when they did doubles doing the same trick. ;D Countless parts that were all good. Breaks his neck and becomes evil Kenevil. Dude is my all my time greatest vert skating legend.  His airs were the best ever. His backside Indy's and backside airs were off the chain.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 08:56:37 PM »
no one will ever know so give it up. as much as i like danny way for being gnar as fuck i wouldnt right anything off. booze makes people do stupid shit, and bad shit happens regardless of whether that person is goodhearted or not. lets just go on facts, josh swindell from what i heard is a complete bag of shit. danny way seems like a solid dude, the math speaks for itself. i dannys guilty of anything its hanging out with shit bags not murdering gay people.

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
  • Back?
    • Divine Clothing & Design avatar image
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 09:41:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

No, thats what I was doing for like a few hours, then I starting discussing the issue seriously...and THEN was banned.

No.  You were posting the same message in every single topic you possibly could and you expected to get an honest answer.  If you would have started this topic instead of spamming every other topic, then you wouldn't have been banned.

headlock

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 09:52:04 PM »
. THE BEST VERT SKATER EVER!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

C'mon bornidabay, shit, he had some street skills.....he used to kill it....

skatebored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 09:57:53 PM »
. THE BEST VERT SKATER EVER!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon bornidabay, shit, he had some street skills.....he used to kill it....
[/quote]

bs 360 macba 4. real sick shit. i wonder if that was before or after he killed the gay guy.

sike