Author Topic: EA Skate Demo  (Read 219375 times)

ahlee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: EA Skate Demo
« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2007, 10:08:56 AM »
its lame when you play skate that fs and bs doesnt matter.

yeah dude!

« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2007, 10:23:13 AM »
its lame when you play skate that fs and bs doesnt matter.

What do you mean?

I'm just stoked that I've been playing this game everyday since it came out and I'm still finding new spots.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2007, 10:52:39 AM »
like... when you have to play s.k.a.t.e against someone ? in the game?? if you do a fs flip.. he can do a bs flip and it counts.. cause it just counts it as a 180 kickflip.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2007, 11:50:49 AM »
There are so many line spots in the game. I got showed a great one last night that has a great combo of ledges, banks, and manual pads. Anyone who understands skating can kill hours at a time just messing around, trying different stuff.

no doubt, I seriously spent probably 6 hours or more trying to get this one line at this one spot and it just never really got old

over my lunch break I got a quick session and found this sick tripple set that was actually fun to try tricks down. pretty hard. only got kickflip and nollie flip. not even close with the tre's and hardflips down that beast, but that's the beauty of the game, I can waste another 6 hours trying to get them.

my number one thing i'd like to see for the next one is more realistic slam to land ratios. on this tripple set if you missed your pop and landed in the middle of the tripple you usually just bounce to the bottom but still make it. be nice if the bigger the gap, the more perfect your shit has to be landed, like sketchy flip = slam.

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »
You guys have probably already figured this out but there's a way to make fakie and switch look dope.  If you skate switch your switch tricks look identical to reg ones and fakie just looks like switch nollie.

but if you do a 180 trick and set up quick like you would for a regular trick it looks more fakie.  and if you do the same thing and set up like you would for a nollie trick it ends up being a switch trick that has that awkward, riding backward look to it.

Not sure if that makes any sense but just try it.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »
You guys have probably already figured this out but there's a way to make fakie and switch look dope.  If you skate switch your switch tricks look identical to reg ones and fakie just looks like switch nollie.

but if you do a 180 trick and set up quick like you would for a regular trick it looks more fakie.  and if you do the same thing and set up like you would for a nollie trick it ends up being a switch trick that has that awkward, riding backward look to it.

Not sure if that makes any sense but just try it.

yea i figured that out the other day, pretty fucking sweet. I was doing this and doing swith 360's... spin like a 270.. then just hold the right stick the the left or right to crank that last rotation.. looks dope.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2007, 12:51:19 PM »
just the fact that you have some control over the style is sick

Yea, and being able to kick your board out from your feet when it's not gonna be a make would be good too...and more player reaction after a slam besides just the ragdolling. Like if you've tried something for a while you might throw a tantrum or toss your board. Or if you catch something but you land sketchy you could put your face in your hands.

I think it speaks to the strength of the basic engine this game runs on that all the commentary is for little details like these.

yeah, that'd be good. i think there is a way to make him throw his hands up in frustration. happens sometimes when i skating but not sure how i make it happen.

i've always liked the idea of having progressive skills. in otherwords the more times you land a trick the better you can do it and have this be balanced out with injuries. so if you injure yourself trying a trick then your ability to do it becomes less. so in other words if you actually get your tricks on lock on flat or small ledges\rails before you try them down huge drops you'll have a better chance of getting them on the big stuff and conversely if you don't learn it small first you'll likely injure yourself and be right back to square one with that trick (sketchy flip that you can mostly land on flat). which would all fit nicely with the ability to bail a trick and kick your board away that you mentioned.

Knockout Ned

• Rep: 27
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2007, 12:54:13 PM »
I found hubba hideout... seriously hard to skate, i could barely get on to the thing, it was great.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2007, 01:00:05 PM »
yea one of the trainstations has some sick hubbas in it too..

I HATE that you cant pick the board up and walk. How could they have left that out? Sometimes I want to skate a set and cant figure out how the hell to get up it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2007, 01:07:49 PM »
^^^ most annoying oversight by far

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2007, 01:09:29 PM »
And not being able to zoom out, even just a little. I find it more fun to skate when security is chasing me.

angrypork

• Rep: 2
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2007, 01:14:16 PM »
I found the EMB spot tonight and we must have skated it for two hours. My friend and I went back and forth for ages doing stuff down the Gonz gap. This game is fucking amazing.

Where the FUCK is EMB?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2007, 01:16:59 PM »
And not being able to zoom out, even just a little. I find it more fun to skate when security is chasing me.

definitely should be able to set the camera to your preference

i was skating this big rail yesterday and liked it because the security would chase me to the rail and you got the long lens shot.

can you zoom out on replys?

k-nutz

• Rep: 54
« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2007, 01:22:09 PM »

Expand Quote
Yea, and being able to kick your board out from your feet when it's not gonna be a make would be good too...and more player reaction after a slam besides just the ragdolling. Like if you've tried something for a while you might throw a tantrum or toss your board. Or if you catch something but you land sketchy you could put your face in your hands.

I think it speaks to the strength of the basic engine this game runs on that all the commentary is for little details like these.
[close]

yeah, that'd be good. i think there is a way to make him throw his hands up in frustration. happens sometimes when i skating but not sure how i make it happen.

i've always liked the idea of having progressive skills. in otherwords the more times you land a trick the better you can do it and have this be balanced out with injuries. so if you injure yourself trying a trick then your ability to do it becomes less. so in other words if you actually get your tricks on lock on flat or small ledges\rails before you try them down huge drops you'll have a better chance of getting them on the big stuff and conversely if you don't learn it small first you'll likely injure yourself and be right back to square one with that trick (sketchy flip that you can mostly land on flat). which would all fit nicely with the ability to bail a trick and kick your board away that you mentioned.

i don't know about you, but 360 flips were hard for me to learn.  and when i did do one it had no pop and looked crappy.  but now i can do them butter-tits almost everytime.  i'm still working on timing for throwing them into manuals and grinds and stuff.

but yeah, that took some time for me to "progress" my skills.  more-so then any trick in any tony hawk game, ever.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #224 on: October 17, 2007, 01:24:42 PM »
what extra levels do you even get?

i got the plan b warehouse and thats it.

Knockout Ned

• Rep: 27
« Reply #225 on: October 17, 2007, 01:28:56 PM »
i could skate the school for hours and still find new shit to skate, i just found a gap to ledge going off the 5 stair

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2007, 01:29:53 PM »
Expand Quote
what extra levels do you even get?

i got the plan b warehouse and thats it.
[close]

Start doing the Thrasher goals, I unlocked a pretty sick homemade skatepark.

yea, i've just been doing as many as i can.. getting the mag photos and shit. sometimes its so aggrevating..

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #227 on: October 17, 2007, 01:34:30 PM »
can you save spots? or do you just have to remember where they all are.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #228 on: October 17, 2007, 01:50:11 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i don't know about you, but 360 flips were hard for me to learn.  and when i did do one it had no pop and looked crappy.  but now i can do them butter-tits almost everytime.  i'm still working on timing for throwing them into manuals and grinds and stuff.

but yeah, that took some time for me to "progress" my skills.  more-so then any trick in any tony hawk game, ever.

yeah, i'm just starting to be able to pop them, so i guess it is progressive

just learned hard flips too, but still can't pop them

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2007, 02:11:19 PM »
keep your ears peeled for a 'jones and snicks' reference....

Room Guy

• Rep: 1
  • get gnaughty
« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2007, 04:14:27 PM »
you guys know you can revert with the left stick. saves ollieing
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 04:19:23 PM by Room Guy »

frisco

« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2007, 04:44:37 PM »
i beat the game a while ago and still have so much fun playing, learned all the flip tricks and grinds and have them really down now

skate 2 will be sick if there gonna make one, just have some better bails and the ability to walk, controls cant get any better

camera angle could do with some work though

swissenheights

• Rep: 6
« Reply #232 on: October 17, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »
my game got a weird glitch on the 2nd day where parts of old town and downtown arent there its just thin air and ill ride into it and he'll do some backflips and then start back at the top and it sucks cause i need to go in these areas to do missions
dah

k-nutz

• Rep: 54
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2007, 05:48:32 PM »
i beat the game a while ago and still have so much fun playing, learned all the flip tricks and grinds and have them really down now

skate 2 will be sick if there gonna make one, just have some better bails and the ability to walk, controls cant get any better

camera angle could do with some work though

supposedly they have already started work on the second one and being able to walk is one of their first priorities.

Universal Remonster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -22
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2007, 06:21:10 PM »
that subway spot with all the hubbas in the suburbs is the best thing ever

Peter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2007, 07:01:02 PM »
can't remember those.
the san jose spot - those curved upledges over by the lake downtown are really fun, and the wavy ledges right next to it.
and i love doing noseblunts and backtails on the quarterpipes by the bank downtown.

HabitatRider420

• Rep: -11
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2007, 08:49:05 PM »
my friend who skates reserved the game, played it probably a couple times but spends all his time playing halo 3 :-\

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #237 on: October 18, 2007, 04:32:25 AM »
can't remember those.
the san jose spot - those curved upledges over by the lake downtown are really fun, and the wavy ledges right next to it.
and i love doing noseblunts and backtails on the quarterpipes by the bank downtown.

how do you do back tails\nose blunts on qp's? every time I try to ollie into a trick it ollies and lands back on the tranny.

sectachrome

• Rep: 41
« Reply #238 on: October 18, 2007, 05:40:29 AM »
Yeah, just dont go to fast and ollie before the lip.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: October 18, 2007, 06:14:16 AM »
finally beat this shit last night.. the mega ramp is kind of fun.