Author Topic: Last new trick you learned  (Read 449675 times)

DanTheDoucher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
Re: Last new trick you learned
« Reply #4410 on: June 12, 2019, 07:54:22 AM »
After many hip/knee/back issues and about a 4 year break, I'm finally back to skating pretty frequently.

I'm literally having to re-learn just about every trick that I used to do.

It's very frustrating to continuously fail on tricks that I used to be able to do 90% of the time.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4411 on: June 12, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »
nollie front lip, sw slappy nose 180 to front nose and i guess fakie hurricanes

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4412 on: June 12, 2019, 08:38:18 AM »
Fakie heelflip.
Total fluke and not sure if I should even do them.  I was planning to do a fakie kickflip in a line but my feet positioning kept being set up for heelflip  so I started throwing those out. Apparently I can do them.   🤷🏾‍♂️

hmmmokay

« Reply #4413 on: June 12, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »
Fakie heelflip.

Haha, I came here to post the same thing; re-learned them the other day. Don't even know what sparked it but I decided to throw a few out there and it just clicked.

martha dumptruck

• Rep: -13
« Reply #4414 on: June 12, 2019, 08:44:52 AM »
- Mentioned frontside powerslide to tail slide slappies a few pages back, left them alone for a while but now I can lock into them pretty consistently.
- started trying back no comply to tailslides on a tiny ledge and reckon I could get them down once I get my timing right!
- started trying to learn full cabs at 40 years old. I’ve always been a half caber but after playing around with some 360 slide variations I figured I could probably do them if I tried. I can fakie backside Ollie to like 200 degrees and then do a big cheater revert but is there any tips to whipping them around faster while you’re still airborne? I’d like to at least get to 270 before reverting ....
learn how to pivot on your nose wheels vs a 4 wheel slide. makes it less cheaty and more fluid. then over time, your body has muscle memory to whip around 360 and you'll just start landing them fully spun by repetition.

rapscallion

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4415 on: June 12, 2019, 09:16:45 AM »
Regular front bigspin. Even worse (more pivoted) than I can do switch.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4416 on: June 12, 2019, 09:26:19 AM »
nosegrinds on tranny

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #4417 on: June 12, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
I learned fakie tailslides on tranny yesterday, was really easy actually.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #4418 on: June 12, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
Crooked grinds
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4419 on: June 12, 2019, 10:09:26 AM »
Expand Quote
- Mentioned frontside powerslide to tail slide slappies a few pages back, left them alone for a while but now I can lock into them pretty consistently.
- started trying back no comply to tailslides on a tiny ledge and reckon I could get them down once I get my timing right!
- started trying to learn full cabs at 40 years old. I’ve always been a half caber but after playing around with some 360 slide variations I figured I could probably do them if I tried. I can fakie backside Ollie to like 200 degrees and then do a big cheater revert but is there any tips to whipping them around faster while you’re still airborne? I’d like to at least get to 270 before reverting ....
[close]
learn how to pivot on your nose wheels vs a 4 wheel slide. makes it less cheaty and more fluid. then over time, your body has muscle memory to whip around 360 and you'll just start landing them fully spun by repetition.
  Also, aim your pop ahead of yourself slightly.  Dont have the pop right, right under you. My front foot comes off when i do them.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #4420 on: June 12, 2019, 10:42:31 AM »
^ Also if you have solid backside ollies on flatground (of the late kind; ollie then turn), then cabs also become super easy on flat if you just think of breaking down the rotation in quarters of a turn, mentally. Imagine riding fakie, essentially already kickturning 90 degrees ('ahead of yourself slightly' as givecigs said) into a backside ollie (that you pop and jump with) and then you should be 90 degrees short of landing which you can compensate for similarly to however you usually minimize the occasional underrotation on backside ollies on flat. In general, flatground tricks become stupid easy once the logic clicks that it's basically all translations.

Last trick I learned was switch f/s nosegrind f/s shove on a park box, I've done sw nosegrind reverts the easy way forever but I would like to get proper switch nosegrinds that grind and pop out straight. Shove out is the first step, feels good to do but a bit too much like a five-o shove perhaps (and the similarities have to be why sw nosegrind shove is so attainable).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:44:02 AM by silhouette »

shrockitis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4421 on: June 12, 2019, 09:56:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Been on a bit of a mark baines binge recently, got me hyped to learn nollie 180 sw crooks. First time trying it did one within 10 tries and now I probably get one every couple hours, funny how it be like that.
[close]

I tried a few of these at the park yesterday, I think the ledge I was trying it on had a weird angle. I gave up after a few tries. Still on my bucket list for this summer.

they're a weird one to figure out for sure. I find you gotta curve into the ledge and get really close to it and then pop as you start to curve away from it. If you're too far away you just end up slapping the ledge with your tail, you really gotta get up in its grill.

thebunnman

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4422 on: June 18, 2019, 11:15:52 AM »
back smiths on a ledge, probably the most satisfying trick ive ever learnt and one im most hyped on

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #4423 on: June 18, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been on a bit of a mark baines binge recently, got me hyped to learn nollie 180 sw crooks. First time trying it did one within 10 tries and now I probably get one every couple hours, funny how it be like that.
[close]

I tried a few of these at the park yesterday, I think the ledge I was trying it on had a weird angle. I gave up after a few tries. Still on my bucket list for this summer.
[close]

they're a weird one to figure out for sure. I find you gotta curve into the ledge and get really close to it and then pop as you start to curve away from it. If you're too far away you just end up slapping the ledge with your tail, you really gotta get up in its grill.

Also helps to think of really getting at the top of the ledge with your weight well over the truck, the nollie tailslide bonk thing also seems to happen when underestimating the height of the ledge, or forgetting to actually get on top of its edge in proper (hopefully locked in) sw crooked grind position. I don't do that trick much so I lose it all the time but whenever I feel like getting it back I just do a lot of switch crooked grinds just to get used to how locking in feels again. Then it's essentially kickturning off the nose into that position off the pop of a nollie. The least you approach it like a nollie tail, the best that trick seems to work.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4424 on: June 18, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »
Front blunt on a quarter. Got it before I turned 44, so that was nice.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4425 on: June 27, 2019, 09:50:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
  Also, aim your pop ahead of yourself slightly.  Dont have the pop right, right under you. My front foot comes off when i do them.

^ Also if you have solid backside ollies on flatground (of the late kind; ollie then turn), then cabs also become super easy on flat if you just think of breaking down the rotation in quarters of a turn, mentally. Imagine riding fakie, essentially already kickturning 90 degrees ('ahead of yourself slightly' as givecigs said) into a backside ollie (that you pop and jump with) and then you should be 90 degrees short of landing which you can compensate for similarly to however you usually minimize the occasional underrotation on backside ollies on flat. In general, flatground tricks become stupid easy once the logic clicks that it's basically all translations.

awesome, thanks boys, it's rainy season at the moment so I haven't practiced them too much but I had a quick roll yesterday and was playing with them...

in other news (and sort of related to full cabs), I randomly tried to chuck out a switch frontside 360 ollie yesterday and I actually pivoted around and landed a few. Guess it kinda makes sense because I've been able to do backside 360 nollies since I was in my early teens...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #4426 on: June 27, 2019, 10:00:17 PM »
Rick flips. Gotta make em consistent though.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

farisskates

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4427 on: June 27, 2019, 11:17:26 PM »
Kickflip bs feeble

pussyslayer7

• Rep: -12
« Reply #4428 on: June 29, 2019, 09:53:32 AM »
Fs nosegrind nollie bs shuv out yesterday fun feeling trick tho

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #4429 on: June 29, 2019, 09:33:35 PM »
Since I can’t flip my board for shit what should I learn next? I got fs and bs half cabs, fs 180 (those used to be on lock but since I’ve been skating smaller wheels they suck) fakie Ollie, and Ollie. Where should I move on to next? Lately I’ve just been skating hills cuz it’s fun and easy so I just powerslide a lot.

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #4430 on: June 30, 2019, 12:40:36 AM »
cab back tail except i just slapped the ledge on the way down and then slipped out about 100 times.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4431 on: June 30, 2019, 02:26:58 AM »
Since I can’t flip my board for shit what should I learn next? I got fs and bs half cabs, fs 180 (those used to be on lock but since I’ve been skating smaller wheels they suck) fakie Ollie, and Ollie. Where should I move on to next? Lately I’ve just been skating hills cuz it’s fun and easy so I just powerslide a lot.

get 180s and shoves all stances, fakie full cabs and bigspins are some of the first tricks i learned.

switchbs180

« Reply #4432 on: July 09, 2019, 11:56:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

get 180s and shoves all stances, fakie full cabs and bigspins are some of the first tricks i learned.

all 4 ollies, all 8 180s and all 8 shuv its . and be sure to have fun 😁

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4433 on: July 09, 2019, 01:14:31 PM »
nollie back lip, nollie front tail and fakie varial heel

i feel disgusting

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4434 on: July 09, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
nollie back lip
  rock them shits with PRIDE!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #4435 on: July 09, 2019, 10:03:25 PM »
Expand Quote
nollie back lip
[close]
  rock them shits with PRIDE!

yeah man all of these look sick when done right, big ups. i don't get the nollie tailslide/lip hate. it might be easier, but can still look just as good when done proper.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4436 on: July 09, 2019, 11:47:18 PM »
yeah man all of these look sick when done right, big ups. i don't get the nollie tailslide/lip hate. it might be easier, but can still look just as good when done proper.
exactly! I'm a fan of both nollie front/ back tails too

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4437 on: July 10, 2019, 12:18:11 AM »
Front 180 fakie manuals well enough to start messing with doing tricks out. I’d done a few before but never felt like I had it well enough to try shove/180/flip out.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #4438 on: July 13, 2019, 06:21:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

all 4 ollies, all 8 180s and all 8 shuv its . and be sure to have fun 😁

drop into a reasonably sized ramp, like chest high at least, learn tailtap, rock to fakie and axle stall.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #4439 on: July 13, 2019, 07:05:40 PM »
Working on a really solid nollie. Nollie 180’s are popping in my mind and I want to do them but figure I want to learn my nollies better.