Author Topic: Last new trick you learned  (Read 449590 times)

sus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Re: Last new trick you learned
« Reply #4500 on: December 17, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
I finally learned how to ollie.

I just started skating last month, and practiced ollies here and there, but I couldn't wrap my head around it. I watched a movie, smoked a little bit, zoned out, and I broke it down and figured it out. I woke up the next morning, went out in the driveway, and did two back-to-back after warming up. Then I blew a massive hole in the side of my Vans practicing.

just a tip now that you can ollie and will likely learn even more flip tricks moving forward - don't buy canvas shoes or theyll rip instantly, suede shoes are your best bet.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4501 on: December 17, 2019, 11:44:28 AM »
Last trick I learned was  a Bennett on transition but it barely grinds if at all. Basically a stall but I take what I can get. Started trying Bennett’s on ledges but I get in them but stick. I’m just scared to go faster with them.

Getting close to impossibles.

And I suck at tres but I’m getting close I just keep landing in front foot weird and tweaking my ankle.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #4502 on: December 17, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »
Last trick I learned was  a Bennett on transition but it barely grinds if at all. Basically a stall but I take what I can get. Started trying Bennett’s on ledges but I get in them but stick. I’m just scared to go faster with them.

Getting close to impossibles.

And I suck at tres but I’m getting close I just keep landing in front foot weird and tweaking my ankle.

if you're regular, as you pop - get your front foot out of the way and make your back foot go in a clockwise circle to help rotate the board. Point your toe down as you're popping, keep it pointed as the board rotates, and once it hits about 270 degrees or close to a full rotation, even your foot out again to level out the board.

hope this helps!

*edit - if you're goofy, exact same thing except you form a counterclockwise circle with your back foot
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:53:42 AM by sus »

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #4503 on: February 17, 2020, 04:16:37 AM »
I watched Tim and Henry’s pack of lies yesterday morning and decided I wanted to try tech curb tricks. My local skatepark has a curb sized ledge (yes it was at a skatepark) and I did a few 360 flip lipslides. They weren’t beautiful but I was surprised they worked. Lots of them felt like more of a deck check than a lip slide but a few of them slid pretty good.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #4504 on: February 17, 2020, 04:42:33 AM »
regular stance bs big spin a few days ago

was practising shuvs as a warm up and somehow felt i should go big for a big spin even though i'd never got near one in my life.

ended up making it but reverted to regs on the roll away, which i consider as cancelling the trick seeing as part of the difficulty is remaining fakie.

that happened a few more times, but i got a proper one after about 10 minutes.

tried it the next day and smashed the tail into my ankle really hard on the first try - bad enough to end the sesh.

hope to get another one this week.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4505 on: February 17, 2020, 05:35:54 AM »
Landed my first frontside flip last night. I had landed on some before, but there was always a hand drag. I'd never done one of these in my youth, so learning it at 44 felt pretty cool.

fucking sick. that and reg fs heel are two tricks i just can't even imagine getting - feels so foreign to me. any tips?

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #4506 on: February 17, 2020, 05:44:30 AM »
It's been a long time since I learned a new ledge trick, but a couple weeks ago I tried nollie fs 180 sw crooked and it was easier than I thought  :)
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #4507 on: February 17, 2020, 06:10:12 AM »
Fakie bigspin flip 180

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #4508 on: February 17, 2020, 07:43:47 AM »
Ollie into a nose manual. I could do them on flat but actually popping into one is new for me

Mr_Friend

• Rep: 1
  • formerly Mr_Friendly
« Reply #4509 on: February 17, 2020, 08:32:59 AM »
F/s smith grind to F/s sugarcane on a little quarter  8)

lady fanny

• Rep: -52
« Reply #4510 on: February 17, 2020, 08:40:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Landed my first frontside flip last night. I had landed on some before, but there was always a hand drag. I'd never done one of these in my youth, so learning it at 44 felt pretty cool.
[close]

fucking sick. that and reg fs heel are two tricks i just can't even imagine getting - feels so foreign to me. any tips?
flip then turn. we used to do flip almmost vertically and meet up with the board 180 in the 90 ala Muska. its' easier to control if you flick it and catch really quick at anywhere from 45-90 degrees farenheit and continue turning fs together.
fs heels are out of my league.
Lady Fanny from Omaha

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #4511 on: February 17, 2020, 08:41:14 AM »
Backside 720 Ollie’s on flat

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
« Reply #4512 on: February 17, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »
frontside half cab no comply

Olabade

• Rep: -46
« Reply #4513 on: February 17, 2020, 09:10:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just recently relearned fs heels (regs and switch).

I set up pretty similar to a regular heel. Front foot behind the bolts with toes hanging off the side a little. I also angle my toes forward just a bit (same way as for kickflips). Back foot in the pocket. I put most of my weight on my back foot, sort of lean back before popping.

Pop and throw your back foot diagonally forward. With front foot slide and flick a heel flip also diagonally forward (about 45 degrees to the heel side) and aim to flick high and far out to get your foot out of the way as the board flips and rotates. You really need to suck up your knees for this one. Usually after catching I’m able to rotate the rest of the way before landing without any pivot but at times I pivot a little.

Switch is easier imo.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:12:04 AM by Olabade »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4514 on: February 17, 2020, 09:21:00 AM »
switch nose slides and switch noseslide to a stop and kickflip out.

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -12
« Reply #4515 on: February 17, 2020, 09:38:33 AM »
switch nose slides and switch noseslide to a stop and kickflip out.
I just learn switch nose slides as well. I’m working on back tails anyone got any tips?

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4516 on: February 17, 2020, 09:39:13 AM »
Backside 720 Ollie’s on flat

is 'flat' anything like bath salts?

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4517 on: February 17, 2020, 09:47:15 AM »
Had a good day on the curb the other day, learned kf frontside 5-0, switch front tail and switch 180 frontnosegrind 180 out. Now to get them up on a real size ledge
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4518 on: February 17, 2020, 09:51:54 AM »
The Losi grind slappy variant, (nasal-cane?) but I only just barely have they fs; every time I try bs, I wash out into an unintentional disaster/fail.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4519 on: February 17, 2020, 10:08:03 AM »
Skated a mini ramp last week for the first time in over 15 years (I'm 37).  Took some time to get my sea legs back, but was able to get 5050 stalls/grind and rock to fakie back fairly quick. Ended up getting fakie disasters, nose stall to fakie and fakie 270 feeble stalls (one of my favorite tricks to do) all in the session. These were all tricks I had on lock in my teens and it was awesome to do them again. Looking forward to skating again and trying to add a few more tricks to my bag.   

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4520 on: February 17, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »
I just learn switch nose slides as well. I’m working on back tails anyone got any tips?

For me it's all in the pop to get it. If you can snap a good ollie and smack your tail in there, you're more than halfway there. Get in and shoot a few out to get the feeling. Keep your head turned over your shoulder like when you're learning front boards and the trick will do itself. Be confident and don't be too afraid of slipping out, because it will happen but its way better than sticking.

Once you get it you can probably learn back tail shove in the same day.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #4521 on: February 17, 2020, 03:57:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For me it's all in the pop to get it. If you can snap a good ollie and smack your tail in there, you're more than halfway there. Get in and shoot a few out to get the feeling. Keep your head turned over your shoulder like when you're learning front boards and the trick will do itself. Be confident and don't be too afraid of slipping out, because it will happen but its way better than sticking.

Once you get it you can probably learn back tail shove in the same day.

On a good day my back tails are an ollie to firecracker. Some days it makes sense others not. It’s something I really wish I was good at.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4522 on: February 17, 2020, 07:05:28 PM »
Nollie flip 5.0 and 5050

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #4523 on: February 17, 2020, 10:52:34 PM »
Not exactly a trick I learned but while fucking around on a mini ramp last night, I realized it was super easy and stupidly fun to just jump back on your board from sweeper position not back into the transition but along the platform instead and then you can do shit like another trick back in.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4524 on: February 18, 2020, 06:02:30 AM »
Tiny Bennett grinds.

I can do them best on banana shape ledges but it takes for ever to land
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

V.I. Lenin

« Reply #4525 on: February 18, 2020, 11:49:19 PM »
Switch bs bigspin very hyped

V.I. Lenin

« Reply #4526 on: February 18, 2020, 11:50:17 PM »
Nollie flip 5.0 and 5050
Nice nickname brother

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4527 on: February 19, 2020, 06:41:14 AM »
Thanks Lenin, I just learned switch front nose back to switch

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4528 on: February 19, 2020, 07:23:20 AM »
Tiny Bennett grinds.

I can do them best on banana shape ledges but it takes for ever to land

Thanks. I’m gonna try to find a curved ledge now.

I got them on like small mellow tranny but they don’t grind. I just kinda get in get out. So I’m trying learn them on ledges and I can get into them but getting enough  speed to grind is scaring me. So I think with a curved ledge it would help lock in cause you can push the dipped side into the ledge easier ?  The ledge I’m learning on now is insanely rounded like has no corner so I fall out a lot

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4529 on: February 19, 2020, 07:33:24 AM »
Not exactly a trick I learned but while fucking around on a mini ramp last night, I realized it was super easy and stupidly fun to just jump back on your board from sweeper position not back into the transition but along the platform instead and then you can do shit like another trick back in.

https://youtu.be/bIlTs__1N-E?t=125

bs sweeper fs 5050 yank fakie, so rad. my favourite sweeper variation is doing a bs one but spinning the board round a little more so for me being goofy it ends up outside my left foot as opposed to inside. fs 5050 popped up into sweeper is fun also.