Author Topic: Last new trick you learned  (Read 449616 times)

Gab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Re: Last new trick you learned
« Reply #4770 on: January 19, 2023, 02:15:58 AM »
Ride on lipslide (I know)
Slappy front smith

homicidalpsychojunglecat

• Rep: 15
« Reply #4771 on: January 19, 2023, 02:31:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pop shuv nosegrind today, very pumped
[close]

What the others said, that'd be a dream. Like some other posters I've just learned slappy crook. Regular crooks have evaded me but some decade and a half of skating later I can slappy into them. It's all I've wanted to do lately. Feels good man.
[close]

Front or back, to regs or fakie? I need more information  ;)

Haha, backside only and both regs and to fakie. I seem to just sit my front foot at a 45 degree angle right over the front kick and then slam into a curb with a slight lift. From there it's all shoulders. If I think about too much it doesn't work so who knows

Terminal

« Reply #4772 on: January 19, 2023, 03:06:59 AM »
Does re-learned count also. I got backside nollies on transition back after 20 years not doing one. Last one would have been 2002 and really forgot how to do them, so other than knowing I once had them on lock, it was almost a clean slate in learning process...

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4773 on: January 19, 2023, 05:41:25 AM »
Switch slappy krook revert.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -299
« Reply #4774 on: January 19, 2023, 06:00:18 AM »
Switch front shuv to switch back nosegrind. Actually easier than it looks if you can commit to a good switch front shuv

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #4775 on: January 19, 2023, 06:12:19 AM »
Switch front shuv to switch back nosegrind. Actually easier than it looks if you can commit to a good switch front shuv

I need to try this one, I have a solid sw front shuv and a poor switch ollie(Into grinds) so that might be my way in to switch backside grinds

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #4776 on: January 19, 2023, 12:58:40 PM »
Does re-learned count also. I got backside nollies on transition back after 20 years not doing one. Last one would have been 2002 and really forgot how to do them, so other than knowing I once had them on lock, it was almost a clean slate in learning process...

I say after 20 years it counts. I don‘t even know if I had fakie kickflips back in the 90s but I re did some yesterday and another one today and plan on adding them to my daily routine.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #4777 on: January 19, 2023, 01:46:17 PM »
i don't know that i will ever do one on a legit sized ledge, but i've done a few of these now. (approaching the ledge or in this case manual pad frontside) backside 180 switch crook. BS180 5-0 that turns past the point if that's clearer. feels cool, would feel incredible on something proper.

edit: does that have any sort of name? does back 180 switch crook describe it properly?
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Pastasash

• Rep: 75
« Reply #4778 on: January 19, 2023, 01:52:40 PM »
half cab backside blunt slide on a (small) ledge, still can't get into a cab crook but working my way up there

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #4779 on: January 19, 2023, 02:51:36 PM »
Slap backside feeble on a parking block. My old man card has been renewed. They feel so damn good.

SwitchNollieHeel

• Rep: -6
« Reply #4780 on: January 19, 2023, 02:53:28 PM »
Learnt nollie back 5-0 and crook shuvs last time out

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #4781 on: January 19, 2023, 08:36:35 PM »
nollie front 180

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #4782 on: January 19, 2023, 11:09:43 PM »
Landed my first frontside flip after almost twenty years of skating

Terminal

« Reply #4783 on: January 19, 2023, 11:18:55 PM »
That's fucking cool mate.

xrossings

• Rep: 61
« Reply #4784 on: January 19, 2023, 11:27:41 PM »
i did some very bad bs and fs rock n rolls recently

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4785 on: January 20, 2023, 12:17:38 AM »

Hell yeah! Those are on my bucket list as well. I can easily FS 180 and kickflip, but I can't figure out how to combine the two. Someday...

I've learned FS full cabs at a decent speed on flat lately. Those feel real good in a line.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #4786 on: January 20, 2023, 12:39:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hell yeah! Those are on my bucket list as well. I can easily FS 180 and kickflip, but I can't figure out how to combine the two. Someday...

I've learned FS full cabs at a decent speed on flat lately. Those feel real good in a line.

Same, FS flip was may signature trick in the 90s, I could even do it over pyramids and down gaps. Now they elude me and I am also afraid to lose kickflips if I concentrate too much on FS flips, as that is what happened in the 90s. I had a very nice popped kickflip until I learned the FS flips.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #4787 on: January 20, 2023, 02:36:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same, FS flip was may signature trick in the 90s, I could even do it over pyramids and down gaps. Now they elude me and I am also afraid to lose kickflips if I concentrate too much on FS flips, as that is what happened in the 90s. I had a very nice popped kickflip until I learned the FS flips.

to all people who struggle with frontside flips - try doing it with a pivot first, like a kickflip nose manual 180, put your front foot at more of an angle than when doing regular kickflips, almost parallel to the board (imagine if there was a straight line going through the length of the board if that makes sense, then put your front foot just a couple degrees shy of being parallel to that imaginary line). this helps the board to start doing the 180 motion, then catch the board like you would for a kickflip nose manual and pivot out the rest. eventually it will come around quicker and you’ll be doing most of the 180 in the air, but that pivot thing is very helpful at first.

last trick i (re)learned was a half cab fs 50-50, alley oop or something
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

scab

« Reply #4788 on: January 20, 2023, 03:02:36 AM »
^Thanks, I'm gonna give this a try tonight!

Something totally different I've been learning is lip tricks on mellow transition. I almost exclusively skated street growing up and only ever learned axle stalls and shitty rock variations. I've been skating a lot more park since coming back to skateboarding, so I thought it would behoove me to get some more variation going. To my delight I've picked up popped BS disasters quite easily. Now I'm trying to work up to BS tailstalls. Those would be niiiice to have.

Southernmost

• Rep: 117
« Reply #4789 on: January 20, 2023, 10:00:39 AM »

That’s awesome! Such a fun and cool trick. On flat or a hip? I still have them on flat but not as nice or consistent as they used to be. Try some fakie. Once I learned fs flips, fakie fs flips were much easier to learn.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #4790 on: January 20, 2023, 10:03:24 AM »
Fakie FS Krooked Grind.  It's all about letting your back foot hang of the board and on the ledge.  Best feeling trick, probably should've started trying these about 20 years ago as I'm now 46 years young.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4791 on: January 20, 2023, 10:21:54 AM »
Backside lobster flip to scuttle out

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #4792 on: January 20, 2023, 10:48:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

to all people who struggle with frontside flips - try doing it with a pivot first, like a kickflip nose manual 180, put your front foot at more of an angle than when doing regular kickflips, almost parallel to the board (imagine if there was a straight line going through the length of the board if that makes sense, then put your front foot just a couple degrees shy of being parallel to that imaginary line). this helps the board to start doing the 180 motion, then catch the board like you would for a kickflip nose manual and pivot out the rest. eventually it will come around quicker and you’ll be doing most of the 180 in the air, but that pivot thing is very helpful at first.

last trick i (re)learned was a half cab fs 50-50, alley oop or something

I do slighty faster than normal kickflip into 90°:the idea its that by the time the board flipped completely its perpendicular to the direction your are going, you can literaly see the board sticking to you feet, keep rotating those last 90° and roll away. sometimes at this last 90 degrees turn you can land a little on the nose and pivot the board.

In conclusion; I do a 90° kickflip and keep rotating, shoulders open always... 60% porcent of the time it works every time...

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #4793 on: January 20, 2023, 11:53:47 AM »
I think I learned backside slappies last time I skated. Never tried one before and decided to give them a go on a small ledge, but not completely sure if I was popping the tail to get into them, but compared to when I normally ollie into bs 5050s I was locking into the grind perfectly each time.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #4794 on: January 20, 2023, 01:05:18 PM »
I think I learned backside slappies last time I skated. Never tried one before and decided to give them a go on a small ledge, but not completely sure if I was popping the tail to get into them, but compared to when I normally ollie into bs 5050s I was locking into the grind perfectly each time.
I felt like this sometimes so I recorded some just to check- nope it’s just in my head. If you want to check without recording just put your feet high enough in the pockets that you can’t ollie (this is ideal anyway). Then you’ll find out.

scab

« Reply #4795 on: January 21, 2023, 08:58:39 AM »
Thanks to all y'all's tips and encouragement I also landed my first ever FS flip today (and a second one for good measure). Beyond stoked. Thanks Pals!

borats cat

• Rep: -20
« Reply #4796 on: January 21, 2023, 09:30:32 AM »
i did some very bad bs and fs rock n rolls recently
rock n roll ain't noise pollution.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4797 on: January 21, 2023, 10:13:20 AM »
Learned slappy front feebles. Feels so good when you pop out of them.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #4798 on: January 23, 2023, 12:19:44 PM »
Finally worked up the courage to get a backside 50 in this big local bowl with a couple feet of vert and pool coping. It was obviously easy once I just nutted up and committed but it took me months to get there.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
« Reply #4799 on: February 12, 2023, 10:52:49 PM »
not really new, but i managed to land a nice kickflip bs crooked grind to fakie with decent speed, grind, and clean landing again yesterday, it's been quite some time. same for bs pop shuvit fs nosegrind. so i was stoked... they come so slow and go so fast  >:(