Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 1680 times)

89-90pistons

Need some help
« on: September 17, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »
Dispite the fair amount retards on this board, I know alot of you guys know your shit and been through it all so I wanted some advice.

Meijer Skatepark in Brighton, Michigan is having an annual contest next weekend and is paying Rob Dyrdek to come out and judge the contest. Which I think is rad, but not 20,000 rad. As an ex employee of the park I know that the rec department that runs it has no interest of improving the park or putting any money forth to keep kids coming back. The park is one of those pre-made cement parks with an entire open roller hockey pad open for use. I'll admit its not the best park in the world, but 20,000 into the park would do a hell of alot of good for it.

So I would like to get some people together and boycott the contest. Having skating there since it opened almost 10 years ago and I know most of the kids and I know they don't have the balls to stand up and do shit about it. They'll enter the contest and win some fucking belt or a Shortys flexfit hat the shops couldn't sell.

Do you think its bitter and out of line to pickett a skateboard contest? I know it'll be fun, the people at the rec dept are pricks and don't give two fucks about skateboarding and I think they need this slap in the face.

So let me know what you think.

MexicanSpaniard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 03:07:21 PM »
See if Rob can use his "Plaza" thang to help your town out.

jrock

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:09:06 PM »
i think you should do it.  They should not be paying anyone 20 grand to judge a fucking contest.  I don't care if its Tommy Hawk himself...

clarkie

• Rep: 23
    • Real Skate avatar image
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 03:20:01 PM »
I would call your City Manager and Mayor asap and tell them you feel this is a misappropriation of funds by Parks & Rec.

Unless Rob's presence there will raise a bunch of money or help to build a better skatepark, what's the point of handing someone 20K just to have a TV star in town? What's the return?

Be sincere, and get your point across then follow up with an email detailing what you discussed with them. It may be that this topic has already been hashed out in previous public P&R or Council meetings in which case the public can oppose, but I'd try anyway even though it's a week away.

Rob has already been accused of not giving back, so the previous poster may have a good point. Put that on him.

Good luck!

H8R vol.2

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 03:21:50 PM »
if the above suggestions don't work, i'd go there with a bullhorn and put dyrdek on the spot. 
i'd ask him why he needs 20k to judge a contest, when that money could go into building a new/better park.   

yeah dude!

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »
Dude, if that's true  I can't fucking believe it.

goomba

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 03:51:57 PM »
cap the whole park

89-90pistons

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 05:38:30 PM »
I would call your City Manager and Mayor asap and tell them you feel this is a misappropriation of funds by Parks & Rec.

Unless Rob's presence there will raise a bunch of money or help to build a better skatepark, what's the point of handing someone 20K just to have a TV star in town? What's the return?

When I worked there a couple of years ago, I found out about an equiptment fund the park had left over from when it was built for over 1,000. Everytime I asked about it or proposed something new, the ideas were shot down and tossed aside. They truly don't care about skateboarding and just want money. But I see know way how this will bring in 20k. The park hasn't been changed in 10 years and there are two other parks with in 10 miles. How is bringing in one guy for one day going to bring continuous business to your park? But some new ramps would keep kids stoked for atleast a minute. I have to look get my facts straight before we do anything.

Mick Swagger worked there too and knows the bullshit that comes from the place. He'll be there with me.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 06:43:58 PM »
Contact Rob and see if he'd be willing to donate $20,000 to the betterment of your park. It doesn't hurt to ask.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 07:06:27 PM »
danforth would have done it for your sister....

clarkie

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 07:07:33 PM »
Contact Rob and see if he'd be willing to donate $20,000 to the betterment of your park. It doesn't hurt to ask.

There ya go! But keep in mind, it's likely the 20K is his generic appearance fee set by his talent agent, managers, maybe even someone from MTV. Rob probably won't get even half that much. But definitely bring it to his attention and he may try to set things right.

Isn't Danforth still in Michigan? Get him on it hahahah. I imagine there would be a lot of pros who would judge for free if it meant helping out skaters and skateparks.

clarkie

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:10:19 PM »
danforth would have done it for your sister....

ESP! Great minds think alike.

89-90pistons

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 08:18:20 PM »
Danforth has been there for contest in the past. His company Stink had a demo there the day it opened. As far as Rob is concerned,  It'd be nice, but I'm don't think it would be right to do this to look for a hand out from him. I think its the city's responsibility not some dude with deep pockets.

leon

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 08:35:32 PM »
come naked with only a pirate flag for clothes

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »
You could always try to get a link to this thread to him.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 08:54:51 PM »
check your facts too...   you need to be sure the story (and dollar amount) hasnt been exaggerated / misreported at some point.  those numbers are pretty hard to believe.

Los Illuminados

• Rep: 0
  • Giggity-Giggity, Giggity-Goo........
    • retarded monkey skateparks avatar image
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 08:45:38 AM »
I say if Big Black is with Rob, then its worth the 20,000.
Up against the wall ,was the battle cry.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 08:50:47 AM »
Let Rob know what you 'heard' he was getting and if he's down (more than likely) he can speak to your city folk who are paying him about what they need to do. Coming from a 'celebrity' it will carry the weight needed to improve your park.
MS

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 10:40:12 AM »
When is this Derrick? I like the cause, but I don't know if it's my place to go to a park I've never been to and hold up signs about how much it sucks.

But yeah, I'd say Rob is the one to talk to if the Parks & Rec people aren't listening.

EDIT: Not like "give me some money, Rob", but just let him know they spent it on his appearance rather than the park itself.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:41:56 AM by Bobby Peru »

mick swagger

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »
the whole situation at the park is shady as fuck. i worked there for little to no money for almost five years. after our manager who now runs a super credible shop left his position i was told a managment position was inline. 89-90 pistons, myself, and another guy pretty much ran the place for the last year or so with no help from anyone at all including the parks and recs or the city. after the my last season and the promise of a job i had a door physically slammed in my face and told you no longer have a job here. thats fine but this was without warning and with no credible reason or any reason at all. as is 89-90 pistons were trying to do some leg work to find out exactly what hes being paid and how this so-called money is being spent to improve the park. at the time the contest that hes judging was a big thing in michigan, as wack as it sounds to call a contest a "big" thing. ussually free to watch or a donation was gladly accepted and 10 bucks to skate in it. this also went to the 800-900 dollar first place prize with a money breakdown giving 75 bucks to 5-10th. this year its 20 to even walk into the park with 500 bucks for first. the math doesnt add up.

clarkie

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 04:37:21 PM »
This came through on a google is this your deal? http://www.mlive.com/news/aanews/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1190386334158730.xml&coll=2
What's happening with that now? I can get a feel for what you are saying. Stupid to pay a pro to lure skaters back to the park for one day when they can use all the money they are spending to make a better skatepark. Can't they see that?

barf

• Rep: -2
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 05:39:15 PM »
dyrdek on the spot. 
i'd ask him why he needs 20k to judge a contest, when that money could go into building a new/better park.   

Id say do this, he built a fucking plaza for people, he just might actually give a shit about this.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 05:44:18 PM »

That's actually a really good idea... Someone on this board should be able to PM you his personal email addy.

Calling him out on this board is a good start too. Maybe start a RD disappreesh thread; try and start some shit. Explain the situation and get others to chime in, kinda like what's happening here but more formally.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 05:45:43 PM »
Oh yeah, and do it in the Banter column. It gets more traffic.