Author Topic: longboarding  (Read 39145 times)

Choad Muskrat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: longboarding
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2007, 12:54:11 PM »
I'm trying to look at this longboarding thing with an open mind......i watched those videos with those guys sliding everywhere and going fast and I'm sorry it just looks fuckin stupid and awkward. How is dragging your hands or your head across the ground while sliding around and flexing your body like gumby cool ?

I always thought of longboarders as the rejects of skateboarding, but I was wrong, most of those dudes prolly never even skated in the first place.

Like, to each his own and all, but why do you feel the need to come to the slap forums (a SKATEBOARDING forum) and defend longboarding, it makes no sense.

stinee

• Rep: 0
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »
do longboarders have there own mags? whats that wack one that has all different skateboarding in it. concrete or something...............i must say i still do enjoy making fun of the people that come and buy longboards from me, every once in a while some dude will come in and ill be stoked cause he knows what he wants and isnt just some kid buying a giant sector nine board because everyone at his/her community college has one.

Yeah...you're thinking of Concrete Wave.  Features Street, Vert, Pool, Slalom, Ditch, Slide, Downhill and everything inbetween.  Trust me, you're not the only one that gets the occasional chuckle from the guys that come in and buy the stock Sector 9 setups, there's no denying that there is definitely that demographic of college students who rider Sector 9s.  As Rhurbarb said though, at least they're skating...

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2007, 12:56:06 PM »
the 'fish 

fuck i tried.................shits gay.

rhubarb

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2007, 01:00:52 PM »
I'm trying to look at this longboarding thing with an open mind......i watched those videos with those guys sliding everywhere and going fast and I'm sorry it just looks fuckin stupid and awkward. How is dragging your hands or your head across the ground while sliding around and flexing your body like gumby cool ?

I always thought of longboarders as the rejects of skateboarding, but I was wrong, most of those dudes prolly never even skated in the first place.

Like, to each his own and all, but why do you feel the need to come to the slap forums (a SKATEBOARDING forum) and defend longboarding, it makes no sense.

thnaks man,  i apreciate you not just bashing us,     to be honest i cameon here bacuase it pisses me off,   having longboarding, one of the things i enjoy most in life,  being completely ripped about.    it just anoys me.    sorry if im not welcome here.

i know sliding may seem a bit arkward for you, its becuase its different, we just both see things form a different point of veiw

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2007, 01:04:54 PM »
generaly speaking sliding on your head in skating is usually a trip to the hospital, not fun. at least this isnt as bad as the time our forum got on that rollerblading forum.

stinee

« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2007, 01:07:24 PM »

...Like, to each his own and all, but why do you feel the need to come to the slap forums (a SKATEBOARDING forum) and defend longboarding, it makes no sense.

Get tired of going to the park and treated like crap or having stuff thrown at us while we're skating...

I'm 18 so I don't get quite the same crap but Rhubarb over here is 13...it's not fun to be out enjoying yourself and have people yelling shit at you and then throwing crap at you.  My friend ended up wearing a brace for a few weeks because some kid with a skateboard thought it would be funny to chuck a rock at him while he was going down a road.  Essentially we get treated like crap by the general public because we skateboard and then have to put up with the stuff from other skaters too.

I understand that some people are going to look at longboarding and just say that it's not for them.  That's fine, do what you love, just enough with the abuse, violence, and trash.  I got on Slap because someone posted a link to this thread on Silverfishlongboarding...I figured that I'd get on and do my best to try and portray "longboarding" in a different light and to demonstrate some of the other sides of skateboarding.  If you don't like it, it's cool.  Skateboarding evolved out of the types of things that "longboarding" is considered to be now and became what skateboarding is popularly considered today for a reason...because the majority of people wanted to take it in that direction.  So, no problem if you don't like it, but at least don't hate on it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 01:10:23 PM by stinee »

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2007, 01:10:18 PM »
Expand Quote

...Like, to each his own and all, but why do you feel the need to come to the slap forums (a SKATEBOARDING forum) and defend longboarding, it makes no sense.

[close]

Silverfishlongboarding

you mean "the fish" right......................hahahahahahahahaha

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »
damn, people throwing rocks at you and shit ? thats hate crimes right there. I kinda feel bad for you guys, but you don't have it that rough gimme a break, now your starting to sound like pussies.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2007, 01:14:17 PM »
this is like that episode of south park where cartman cant stop laughing at the midget. i think im gonna pass out if i keep laughing so hard.

rhubarb

« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2007, 01:16:41 PM »
thanks stinee,   thats pretty much what i wanted to say!     i used to skate street, and when i took  a longboard over the park they all looked at me funny,  and took the piss,  saying i couldnt handle real skating,   i get shitm from the public for skating (as im sure you guys do too)   but having other skaters, guys i thought i had somehting in common with me,  taking the piss and throwing stuff.. it aint i nice situation to be in.

choad, i dont mean to sound like a pussy or anything,  i know it does sound kinda pathetic.  but still. thats how it is. 

and why do you feel the need to post about longboards on slap?   

hey, make an acount on www.silverfishlongboarding.com , and just chat,  talk to some people, go on flashchat,   you will see what were like.  just normal, skaters, like you.  but with a different style.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 01:23:23 PM by rhubarb »

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »
im fuckin done, i herby declare that we change the name from longboarding to EMOboarding!

Bad Mother Fucker

• Rep: 3
  • we're gonna be like Fonzies here... cool.
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2007, 01:24:40 PM »
^bahahahahaha!!!!

rhubarb

« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
come on MFS,   were just tryig to be reasonable, some of the people on this forum are cool,  they seem alright.  but you.  your not helping anything,  just making stupid bloody coments.  

too  all of you guys that are cool with all skating.   seeya, im done with this forum.  its alright, good 'skatin! ;D

too  MFS   so long, i hope you realise theres more to life that acting big on forums. :P

in other words,  im not coming back here.    seeya :)  

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2007, 01:34:33 PM »
someone throw up that go online and make fun of people thing grim made.

chalmchalms

• Rep: 54
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »

Longboarding and actual skateboarding are two tottally seperate facets of skateboarding.

Concrete wave is the biggest joke of a skateboard magazine and I really wish that Micheal Brook would change it's name to "old guys' skateboard magazine" (by the way I am old myself at 32) . The only reason it is around is cause of sales of magazines like Thrasher, Skateboarding, Slap, Skateboarder, ConcretePowder, SBC and The Skateboard mag have created a market in 7 elevens, cornerstores, book stores, grocery stores and skateshops so it is able to piggy back off of the market that the real skateboard mags have created and sustained over the past 25 or so years.

Longboarding to and from the store or as transportation or just to get out and cruise on a sunny day is a great thing, I had a great huge board (over 6 ft long) made by Olliver Specht of Deep Cove and I would ride that sucker around the seawall and downtown all day with my longboarder friends just enjoying the cruise. I also rode a great Think longboard at Seylynn nightly when I lived across the street from that bowl back in 98.

Trying to be something as important to modern day skating is not a longboarders place. I have friends who I grew up with in North Van who have been riding longboards since before Sector Nine or any of those companies were even around. All they had for a choice was Skull Skates the best and most legit bigger and longer board supplier for the past twenty five years! All other's are copies of PD's products that he has offered for so many years through his shops.  

Guys like MItchy, Jamie Sherratt, Shane Hunter, Langer, Carver Don Hartley and Eve Fever have been rocking the longboards as their daily rides since the 80's. These guys have shown the spirit of progression by adapting and learnig new school skateboard techniques on longer boards as they have been influenced by the people they skated with which happened to be regular sized skateboarders doing genuinely progressive flip tricks and lips tricks that reflected the moden day inovations of skateboarding. I have a problem with the guys who could not make name for themselves on a short board so they decided to grab a longer version of a short board and do the same tricks in skateparks as they used to do on a shorter proper skateboard. This is much more prevailent in the Claifornia skateboad scene.  

I'm not down with the longboarders who try to claim they are just skateboarders like us here on the slap board, Goto Coastalriders.com and organize your get togethers and cruises and races across cities or up and down mountainsides but don't come to our turf and bitch about being made fun of on a real modern day skateboarding message board that's members are mostly involved with mainstream skateboard media, not some oultier offshoot of mainstream skateboarding.

Push your own industry don't come over to ours and try to make us change our minds about your pertinence to skateboarding.

Stinee......

"how many of you have ever tried doing a 1080 slide at 30mph with your face 5 inches from the ground?  Or tried slalom, boardwalking etc etc?"

This is the kinda stuff that gives longboarders a bad rep with us modern day skateboarders. You sounded pretty kookish by asking that kinda question.

"So stop worrying about whatever other people are doing...it's all skateboarding."

This is a contradiction as you came here to defend your style of riding instead of living by the "stop worrying about whatever other people are saying" mantra.

As for the videos.....looks like fun but,

I have been skating the same hills in north van without pads, without a helmet, without leather or gloves and without a longboard for over 23 years. I was born and grew up on Capilano road and delivered newspapers on some of the steepest hills on the north shore. i never needed a longboard and I did it and adapted and had fun on a regular board bought at a standard skateshop. I slid multiple sets of T-Bones down to the bearings. I have gone really fast and never bothered to get a speedometer to brag about how fast I was going.

There is nothing wrong with riding a longerboard. Longboarding and modern day skatebeoarding are not one in the same. This is not a longboard forum.

WOW! That was a RANT and a half.......sorry for wasting your guys time.

Alex Chalmers
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 02:04:51 PM by chalmchalms »
In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol
carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove
blood from the highway after a car accident.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2007, 02:04:22 PM »
THANK YOU!

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2007, 02:18:38 PM »

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2007, 02:21:39 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahahaha.........................where did you find that gem?

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2007, 02:23:01 PM »
I just threw it together, quick and dirty.

I Longboard!

• Rep: -1
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2007, 04:23:34 PM »
So, what IS the exact defintion, from a technical standpoint? I mean, it's a plank of wood, with bushings, bearings, trucks and wheels right? And the notion that longboarders push mongo...yeah right. You shortboarders are a bunch of fucking retards. You guys have no idea how fun it is flying down a hill at 100km/h, knowing that if you crash, you die. Obviously, you guys don't care. So fuck all you shortboarders.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2007, 04:33:11 PM »
lol where are all these longboarders coming from? Turn around, your not changing anyones mind if you can't tell already.

Funny thing, I was reading the fall SBC today and the "off the top" article by Scotty Macdonald was about things you must do at least once during your skate life (note longboarding is NOT one of them)

Heres a quote from the article, I lol'ed cuz i read it after reading this thread this morning

"Everything that involves riding a skateboard is skateboarding and is no more or less legitimate than any other form, except maybe those cruiser longboards that you couldn't do a trick on if you tried"

I Longboard!

• Rep: -1
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2007, 04:40:55 PM »
HAHAHA. I forgot to mention, you shortboarders have small weenies! ;D

stinee

« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2007, 05:06:16 PM »
Haha that's fine...longboarding made the top 5 things to do before you die list.

http://video.aol.com/video/sports-the-buried-life-film-trailer-longboarding-adventure/1808608

"The Buried Life"

I'm out, done with trying to be nice and reasonable and what not.  I love skateboarding of all forms, and yeah, what we do is skateboarding.  Actually we were skateboarding before you guys were.  Go watch some of the Bones brigade stuff and other movies from that age...you'll notice skating down hills and sliding is in there more than grinding rails.

So yeah, I'm out.  Enjoy blowing out your knees flinging yourselves off ledges and crushing your nuts on rails.  Because while you're drinking beer and watching TV when your 45 because you can't skate anymore, I'm still going to be doing what I love.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2007, 05:08:11 PM »
So, what IS the exact defintion, from a technical standpoint? I mean, it's a plank of wood, with bushings, bearings, trucks and wheels right? And the notion that longboarders push mongo...yeah right. You shortboarders are a bunch of fucking retards. You guys have no idea how fun it is flying down a hill at 100km/h, knowing that if you crash, you die. Obviously, you guys don't care. So fuck all you shortboarders.

go back to "the fish" you kook. nobody wants to hear your emoboarding stories.

kev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2007, 05:11:20 PM »
You guys have no idea how fun it is flying down a hill at 100km/h, knowing that if you crash, you die.

Sounds like fun!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 05:12:51 PM by kev »

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2007, 05:14:52 PM »
Haha that's fine...longboarding made the top 5 things to do before you die list.

http://video.aol.com/video/sports-the-buried-life-film-trailer-longboarding-adventure/1808608

"The Buried Life"

I'm out, done with trying to be nice and reasonable and what not.  I love skateboarding of all forms, and yeah, what we do is skateboarding.  Actually we were skateboarding before you guys were.  Go watch some of the Bones brigade stuff and other movies from that age...you'll notice skating down hills and sliding is in there more than grinding rails.

So yeah, I'm out.  Enjoy blowing out your knees flinging yourselves off ledges and crushing your nuts on rails.  Because while you're drinking beer and watching TV when your 45 because you can't skate anymore, I'm still going to be doing what I love.

the buried life dudes are a bunch of chongo dicks. do you wear a stupid jumpsuit when you emoboard too. what about your fancy space helmet?

Edward Penishands

« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
You guys have no idea how fun it is flying down a hill at 100km/h, knowing that if you crash, you die.

or scratch up your plaid shorts and hollister polo...........

MFS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »
p.s some jock asshole whos never stood on a board before can do what you guys do, we saw it for ourselves. watch tent city, thats how you bomb a hill.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2007, 05:21:16 PM »

"The Buried Life"

I don't think you read my post properly. I clearly stated that Longboarding was NOT one of them, so stfu, longboarding sucks, everyone knows it, stop posting here.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2007, 05:25:41 PM »
btw you guys are retards, you start off by trying to defend longboarding and telling us to stop hating, then you make fun of legit skateboarding ? Wheres the logic in that ?