Author Topic: The coffee thread  (Read 42683 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
Re: The coffee thread
« Reply #360 on: February 26, 2023, 06:29:52 AM »
I have just a cheap capsule machine at home but it does the trick. I‘ll drink several cups a day, at least 3 but sometimes more.

At church we have a Rocket

and use this https://shop.tropicalmountains.com/en/

Dude has a farm in Peru and you can get „single farm“ roast (like single malt) but also blends. Fantastic stuff, check it out it‘s fair trade, organic etc… He also does degradable capsules that are compatible with Nespresso systems.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Pasta Monster

« Reply #361 on: March 04, 2023, 04:01:08 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations for a good decaf blend? I love coffee but I can’t drink regular caffeinated coffee after noon, without ruining my sleep quality.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #362 on: September 06, 2023, 06:04:17 PM »
Anyone add protein creamer to their coffee? I drink about 6 cups per day and I find that after 8 PM I am hungry. Wondering if I sneak protein in will I if feel more full at night.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 38
« Reply #363 on: September 06, 2023, 06:22:55 PM »
Anyone add protein creamer to their coffee? I drink about 6 cups per day and I find that after 8 PM I am hungry. Wondering if I sneak protein in will I if feel more full at night.
holy shit 6 cups? all caf or do you sprinkle a lil decaf here and there?

i've poured muscle milk into my coffee plenty of times. not sure if it made me feel any fuller but it definitely made my muscles fuckin massive
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 06:56:14 PM by easymoneysniper »

GS77

« Reply #364 on: September 06, 2023, 06:32:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
holy shit 6 cups? all caf or do you spring a lil decaf here and there?

i've poured muscle milk into my coffee plenty of times. not sure if it made me feel any fuller but it definitely made my muscles fuckin massive

All caf son. Caffeine keeps me mellow. I never get the jitters. Thanks for the muscle milk tip.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 06:43:01 PM by GS77 »

Mr. Pickles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #365 on: September 06, 2023, 07:54:46 PM »
Google is telling me that 5oz is a “cup” of coffee. So if that’s the definition, I drink 4 in the morning in my yeti and usually get a latte or americano after lunch. So I’m probably on the 6 cup train as well.

I quit cigarettes and alcohol, but I’d honestly rather die than quit coffee.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #366 on: September 07, 2023, 03:01:07 AM »
15 years ago i was really into the whole '3rd wave' coffee bullshit, now i will take literally anything that is hot and black. i have a 20oz REI coffee thermos that i bring to work every day that is Folgers from Costco.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #367 on: September 07, 2023, 06:21:18 AM »
I have just a cheap capsule machine at home but it does the trick. I‘ll drink several cups a day, at least 3 but sometimes more.

At church we have a Rocket

and use this https://shop.tropicalmountains.com/en/

Dude has a farm in Peru and you can get „single farm“ roast (like single malt) but also blends. Fantastic stuff, check it out it‘s fair trade, organic etc… He also does degradable capsules that are compatible with Nespresso systems.

We have that Rocket Appartmento at our house.  I love the ritual of it and using it every morning.  The main issue is that they are temperamental.  you really have to start learning how they work so you can repair them when they go crazy.  If I could go back I would get a dual boiler over the heat exchanger but oh well.  it is kind of fun to work on

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #368 on: September 07, 2023, 05:05:54 PM »
@GS77

I too drink about 5-6 cups a day. Good shit too. Real fortunate to live in a place where there are a dozen local roasters doing different things. I still stick with the OG roaster whose been doing fair trade since before it was a thing. I can drink coffee til about 330 and be fine at bed time around 930

Coffee and weed are the greatest skate combo
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2023, 07:52:42 AM »
@GS77

I too drink about 5-6 cups a day. Good shit too. Real fortunate to live in a place where there are a dozen local roasters doing different things. I still stick with the OG roaster whose been doing fair trade since before it was a thing. I can drink coffee til about 330 and be fine at bed time around 930

I wish I could drink that much coffee, 2 max.  Mainly because I use a drip system and have to clean the grounds after every brew, I don't compost (not trying to deal w/ fruit flys) so I have to dump the grounds in the trash and clean the filter after every use which kinda sucks, but the brews are smacking!   

I did the french press for awhile, but hate the cleaning process with those things too.    Thought about getting a Keurig so I can make more cups throughout the day and not have to worry about cleaning up the grounds. 

For those in the bay area, this is my shit.  Was told one of the NHS owners is also a part owner of this brand

GS77

« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2023, 08:35:07 AM »
Ive had 2 K cups so far today. I used to not want a Keurig machine for many reasons but it was gifted to me. Now that I have one it’s hard to return to my Melitta pot.

I run Wegmans Dark roast at 100 cups for $32.95 or something like that. I’ve done the math and it’s less expensive than the same loose coffee though the drip pot. Plus, no reheating.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2023, 09:40:24 AM »
Expand Quote
@GS77

[close]

I wish I could drink that much coffee, 2 max.  Mainly because I use a drip system and have to clean the grounds after every brew, I don't compost (not trying to deal w/ fruit flys) so I have to dump the grounds in the trash and clean the filter after every use which kinda sucks, but the brews are smacking!   

I did the french press for awhile, but hate the cleaning process with those things too.    Thought about getting a Keurig so I can make more cups throughout the day and not have to worry about cleaning up the grounds. 

For those in the bay area, this is my shit.  Was told one of the NHS owners is also a part owner of this brand

Compostable filters and a sealed compost bin that i empty every other day is what we do. Works for me but prob not for all. Used to use the filter in the drip machine but it was fucking up my sink, sonwe got compost filters and i have no qualms about it !

I figure i go thru a $12 lb of coffee every 10 days. I probably but 3 or 4 cups during that time period as well. Not too bad of a habit to have

I’ve had that verve coffee, its alright. I think it based in santa cruz.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2023, 10:16:44 AM »
Love the way it makes my brain feel

Hate the way it makes my stomach feel

I've been trying different drinks with less amounts of milk, sugar, and flavors to help my stomach not churn, but black and americanos are just too strong for me

I still drink about 16 - 20oz before lunch most days
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2023, 11:05:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@GS77

[close]

[close]

Compostable filters and a sealed compost bin that i empty every other day is what we do. Works for me but prob not for all. Used to use the filter in the drip machine but it was fucking up my sink, sonwe got compost filters and i have no qualms about it !

I figure i go thru a $12 lb of coffee every 10 days. I probably but 3 or 4 cups during that time period as well. Not too bad of a habit to have

I’ve had that verve coffee, its alright. I think it based in santa cruz.

Yea although i dont dump the grounds in the sink the filter for the drip has little grounds that end up in the sink and im not sure if its fucking up my disposal.  Id totally compost if i had my own house and garden

Yes i think its based in santa cruz, a local shop in san jose japantown brews them and so i started buying them too. 

Blue bottle started in Oakland and worked across from the og shop and the lines were ridiculous…still have yet to buy their beans or try their coffee

Curious what other pals are brewing. 

Been taking probiotics and have noticed it helped with the bubble guts coffee gave me

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2023, 11:28:45 AM »
2 thermoses/4 cups a day.  Make it pretty weak, 2-3 tbsp of grounds per pot, so that it doesn’t give me heart palpitations and severe anxiety.  Store brand because I’m cheap. Splash of almond milk, no sweetener.  I’m sweet aka fat enough as it is.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2023, 12:10:39 PM »
Expand Quote
@GS77

[close]

K cups are a straight up ecological disaster and one of the most prominent examples of America's obsession with unnecessary single use, non-recyclable plastics. I have 2 Keurigs (one was a gift, one was a dumpster dive) and the only way I can use them and not feel like an ocean destroying asshole is with one of the reusable cups that basically turns it into a mini drip brewer. There are companies that make ecopods which are cool, but you kinda have to keep them sealed or they lose flavor fast. Cameron's is the one in all the grocery stores here and it's not like Folgers bad but it's far cry from a really good cup of Joe.

Anyone else shit like clockwork at the time they usually drink their first cup?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #376 on: September 08, 2023, 12:53:56 PM »

[/quote]

Without fail. 1 dump at about 45 min and the second at about 2hrs
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #377 on: September 08, 2023, 01:15:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@GS77

[close]

[close]

K cups are a straight up ecological disaster and one of the most prominent examples of America's obsession with unnecessary single use, non-recyclable plastics. I have 2 Keurigs (one was a gift, one was a dumpster dive) and the only way I can use them and not feel like an ocean destroying asshole is with one of the reusable cups that basically turns it into a mini drip brewer. There are companies that make ecopods which are cool, but you kinda have to keep them sealed or they lose flavor fast. Cameron's is the one in all the grocery stores here and it's not like Folgers bad but it's far cry from a really good cup of Joe.

exactly why I just end up using my drip, the only waste is the grounds, I would also be using those reusable k-cups too, which is another reason I dont want one, seems dumb to have to clean them.   

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #378 on: September 08, 2023, 01:44:04 PM »
@GS77

That is my ideal pre-session routine.

If any of you are into craft beer, I'm sure you've heard of or tried Modern Times. Their beer is great but they're also a roastery.

Some links in case anyone's interested:

https://www.moderntimesbeer.com/stellar-coffee/
https://www.moderntimesmerch.com/collections/coffee

Their beans are consistently good and never disappoint. There's this grocery store near me called Barons that sells their bags of beans for $15 so that is primarily what I've been picking up. If I'm planning on making large batches of cold brew, I typically go to Trader Joes and get their breakfast blend. I keep the fancy beans for pour overs. I try to buy from local roasters near me but their prices have been inching up more than I can justify. Paying $25 for 12oz of beans is excessive imo.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #379 on: September 09, 2023, 12:12:11 AM »
I've become quite addicted lately, drinking tons of the stuff. I am an addictive person and as I have stopped every other vice, I now indulge in coffee.  ::)
why come?

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #380 on: September 09, 2023, 12:19:13 AM »
I've become quite addicted lately, drinking tons of the stuff. I am an addictive person and as I have stopped every other vice, I now indulge in coffee.  ::)

That's dope, Easy Slider, I heard coffee is actually good for your liver. Every morning I make a cup of dark black and mix in some espresso. My coworker tells me it's called "A Shot In The Dark".

It has been hot here in SoCal lately so I put it over ice.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #381 on: September 09, 2023, 12:20:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's dope, Easy Slider, I heard coffee is actually good for your liver. Every morning I make a cup of dark black and mix in some espresso. My coworker tells me it's called "A Shot In The Dark".

What, you mix coffee with coffee? Now I heard everything  ;D
why come?

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2023, 03:53:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It has been hot here in SoCal lately so I put it over ice.

I’ve seen that combo described as a “red eye” before. Either way a solid combo when you need that extra boost

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #383 on: September 12, 2023, 09:29:23 AM »
I'll almost always brew with an Aeropress, but what I make purely depends on my mood and what I can be arsed making at the time.  If I'm being lazy, it'll be a milk concoction of some sort using bulk Costco 'columbian' grounds, so no grinding or having to be really on top of brew time and temperature.  If I have the time and patience, I'll brew a black coffee where I brew to a tried and tested recipe using whatever natural/extended fermentation/anerobic/macerated single origin light/medium roast beans that have been run through the 1Zpresso hand grinder.

Will occasionally break out the picopresso and brew a 18g/36ml espresso if I think I have the patience for it.

Usually have 3 coffees before 3pm.  Today, I've had 4, and I still need a nap.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #384 on: September 12, 2023, 02:49:54 PM »
Expand Quote
@GS77

[close]

If any of you are into craft beer, I'm sure you've heard of or tried Modern Times. Their beer is great but they're also a roastery.

Their beans are consistently good and never disappoint. There's this grocery store near me called Barons that sells their bags of beans for $15 so that is primarily what I've been picking up. If I'm planning on making large batches of cold brew, I typically go to Trader Joes and get their breakfast blend. I keep the fancy beans for pour overs. I try to buy from local roasters near me but their prices have been inching up more than I can justify. Paying $25 for 12oz of beans is excessive imo.

$25 for 12oz of beans is fucked up!!! people tryna drive teslas and buy new homes by selling coffee beans. c'mon

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #385 on: September 12, 2023, 03:47:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@GS77

[close]

[close]

$25 for 12oz of beans is fucked up!!! people tryna drive teslas and buy new homes by selling coffee beans. c'mon

Coffee is one helluva drug...I used to know coffee snobs at work who would always buy expensive coffee to brew at work.

At one point I was hearing about CBD coffee which I would try but read that CBD doesn't really fuse well with coffee beans
https://sunsetlakecbd.com/product/cbd-coffee/

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #386 on: September 12, 2023, 05:31:07 PM »
Noosa Familia, Cova or some Stumptown blends. Aero press only. The flip method. Two perfect cups a day with a splash of half and half.

Just spent 3 weeks drinking shitty tesco coffee in the UK, with uncontrolled ratios. Fuck that. From now on, I'm traveling with my aero press.

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #387 on: September 12, 2023, 05:38:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@GS77

[close]

[close]

[close]

Coffee is one helluva drug...I used to know coffee snobs at work who would always buy expensive coffee to brew at work.

At one point I was hearing about CBD coffee which I would try but read that CBD doesn't really fuse well with coffee beans
https://sunsetlakecbd.com/product/cbd-coffee/

I just bought a pound of coffee for $55. Excited to try it though

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #388 on: September 12, 2023, 06:42:55 PM »
$55!?!??!! It better be 16oz and none of this “we quietly started selling you 25% less for the a little more money” 12oz bag bullshit.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #389 on: September 12, 2023, 07:05:41 PM »
Love coffee over here. However maybe a bit too much as I can drink 8-10 cups per day. Actually am going to a Urologist as I got to a point where I was urinating all of the time & even a few times pissed my pants as I could not hold it. All of this points to the amount of coffee I drink BUT I am able to slam decaf with no repercussions. So now I drink 1-4 cups of caffeinated coffee a day & switch to decaf & I already notice the difference. I guess that what happens when you're addicted....? Fun fact: Caffeine is highly addictive & much more addictive than marijuana (a fun fact I used to teach my students).

I may sound crazy but I love the coffee Aldi's have to offer as they have a variety of roasts & the decaf is very good. Grand pricing as well. I have a Keurig but I prefer to have a whole pot going so the Keurig is unplugged. Also should add I drink my coffee black as a moonless night with hot & iced.

Let me add that I strongly dislike coffee from Sheetz, Turkey Hill & many gas stations. Dunkin Donuts only for iced Coffee. Otherwise Starbucks & Wawa or my local although they are some Blue Lives Matter clowns so I really just avoid.