Author Topic: The coffee thread  (Read 43251 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
Re: The coffee thread
« Reply #270 on: September 18, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Damn!!! I miss living in the Bay with all the coffee choices. Im here in China where I found one local roaster! Its a bit more than what I was used to buying (starbucks beans cause its the only choice for whole beans) I wanna find a roaster back home in the US that would ship by the pound out here if shipping fee's aren't too much.

Also how do you like using a manual grinder?? I got one but it hurts the shit out of my already fucked up wrists.
[close]

Shit man, we'll talk. I get free beans all the time and if shipping isn't too much I'll happily send you some beans from time to time. Hopefully customs won't wreck it though haha. Grinding manually isn't bad. I've used the same grinder every day once or twice a day for the last three years. Havent changed the burrs yet, and it's starting to show. Dialing in for v60 isn't as easy as it used to be. Maybe it's time to go electric haha.

also, I did end up doing cold brew today. Totally eyeballed it, hopefully it'll turn out good. If it's too strong its going into a pork brine.

man that sounds awesome- but Ive had stuff shipped from back in the US and it's at least $45 and i wouldnt wanna put that burden on you but appreciate the offer..

What cold brew method do you use? How'd it turn out?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Rockin Robbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 432
« Reply #271 on: September 18, 2014, 11:26:11 PM »
Expand Quote
currently just drinking decaf because of a head injury but these guys are right across the street from my and roast once a week. the aroma reaches a two block radius its amazing.

http://idealcoffee.ca
[close]

Dude you skate and live in Toronto don't buy Cut Coffee?  :-\ Best beans in town at the best price and Sam skates and employs a bunch of skaters.  :-

I like that Dark Horse place.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #272 on: October 09, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »
Has anyone tried egg coffee?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:01:27 PM by _UniversalTruth_ »
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #273 on: October 10, 2014, 03:48:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn!!! I miss living in the Bay with all the coffee choices. Im here in China where I found one local roaster! Its a bit more than what I was used to buying (starbucks beans cause its the only choice for whole beans) I wanna find a roaster back home in the US that would ship by the pound out here if shipping fee's aren't too much.

Also how do you like using a manual grinder?? I got one but it hurts the shit out of my already fucked up wrists.
[close]

Shit man, we'll talk. I get free beans all the time and if shipping isn't too much I'll happily send you some beans from time to time. Hopefully customs won't wreck it though haha. Grinding manually isn't bad. I've used the same grinder every day once or twice a day for the last three years. Havent changed the burrs yet, and it's starting to show. Dialing in for v60 isn't as easy as it used to be. Maybe it's time to go electric haha.

also, I did end up doing cold brew today. Totally eyeballed it, hopefully it'll turn out good. If it's too strong its going into a pork brine.

[close]

man that sounds awesome- but Ive had stuff shipped from back in the US and it's at least $45 and i wouldnt wanna put that burden on you but appreciate the offer..

If it's too strong, couldn't you just heavily ice it or water it down when serving? There's a little vendor in my town that sells "coffee concentrate" which is basically super-strong cold brew. (Although I'm not fronting on a coffee-based brine.)

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -43
« Reply #274 on: October 10, 2014, 09:07:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
currently just drinking decaf because of a head injury but these guys are right across the street from my and roast once a week. the aroma reaches a two block radius its amazing.

http://idealcoffee.ca
[close]

Dude you skate and live in Toronto don't buy Cut Coffee?  :-\ Best beans in town at the best price and Sam skates and employs a bunch of skaters.  :-
[close]

I like that Dark Horse place.

I actually used to work with Ed in the photo world and helped install the drop ceiling in his first shop in the east end. Guess he's killing it now.

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #275 on: October 10, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

If it's too strong, couldn't you just heavily ice it or water it down when serving? There's a little vendor in my town that sells "coffee concentrate" which is basically super-strong cold brew. (Although I'm not fronting on a coffee-based brine.)

yup, exactly. ice or water or dairy thins out the concentrate so it's not as harsh. That batch came out really good? naturally sweet/less bitter cause of the long cold brew time. Method I used was coarse grinding 80g of beans, wrapping in cheesecloth,  and letting it steep for 12-16 hours. Makes a quart of cold brew, shit's bomb.

I got my espresso training yesterday, super hyped. Latte art is fucking hard and ridiculous but I'm more focused on how the shots pull and the milk temp for service... this is what happens when a line cook becomes a barista.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #276 on: October 10, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried egg coffee?

[close]

Never heard of it before your post--definitely going to give it a whirl this weekend! Any tips?

Haven't tried it but there's a Vietnamese and a Scandinavian version... I've just ordered a set for making the Vietnamese one, it was cheap
Here's a recipe http://www.legalnomads.com/2013/01/vietnamese-egg-coffee-recipe.html
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

Chipp

• Rep: -10
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2014, 02:57:24 AM »
Egg coffee doesn't taste much different to me, it was just a "hey there's a raw egg in here."

Prince Nelson

« Reply #278 on: November 04, 2014, 04:37:51 AM »
Recently started making cold brew at home. Steeping one cup of grounds in 4 cups of water for 12 hours and then filtering it. Fist batch turned out really well, second batch just got filtered and will be cold and ready for consumption this afternoon.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #279 on: November 04, 2014, 07:09:56 AM »
Went to Indonesia recently - had the coffee the cat eats and shits out. Really good.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #280 on: November 04, 2014, 07:38:14 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=17478.msg2236530#msg2236530 date=1415113796
Went to Indonesia recently - had the coffee the cat eats and shits out. Really good.

describe the taste. ive read about that stuff before and always been intrigued by it, but for some reason i feel like its the Indonesian people playing a really good practical joke on tourists. "people pay out the ass for coffee, so lets make them pay out the ass for something that actually came out of an ass." thats my theory.

how much did it cost too? i heard its like $50 a cup or something outrageous like that. i also believe that people love to pretend that the more something costs, the better it is.

not trying to knock the stuff. obviously ive never tried it, but i am skeptical on this shit.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #281 on: November 04, 2014, 09:05:29 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=17478.msg2236530#msg2236530 date=1415113796
Expand Quote

[close]

describe the taste. ive read about that stuff before and always been intrigued by it, but for some reason i feel like its the Indonesian people playing a really good practical joke on tourists. "people pay out the ass for coffee, so lets make them pay out the ass for something that actually came out of an ass." thats my theory.

how much did it cost too? i heard its like $50 a cup or something outrageous like that. i also believe that people love to pretend that the more something costs, the better it is.

not trying to knock the stuff. obviously ive never tried it, but i am skeptical on this shit.

In Bali - a bag of it can run around $40 or $50 American; one of the more expensive things I got there. Exchange rate is very favorable. Here in NY - one cup out of that bad could easily run $50 (if you could even find it.)

I sampled a cup for about $5 bucks over there - it's super, super smooth, I guess similar to Jamaican blue mountain, but EVEN smoother. The bottom of the cup turns into super sludge, because the composition of the bean has underwent some really weird shit in the stomach of the Luwak.

The locals found out about this because the Dutch colonized Bali ages ago, and limited the Balinese people to one cup a day. One day, someone found the shit pellet that looked like the coffee beans, brewed it because it's all they has access to, and this coffee was born. If you can find the shit pellets in the wild, it's even better, because the cat only eats the best coffee berries it can find.

I'd say if you come across it - splurge and try it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
Wow, cat shit coffee

dillanharp

« Reply #283 on: November 06, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »
I'll pass on the cat shit. What kind of cat is that anyway? Looks more rodent or marsupial than cat.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
credit card company just gave me a free coffee maker so i am currently brewing up organic colombian coffee and sticking it in the fridge overnight. not a bad drop at all... super x2 smooth

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

shit_for_brains

« Reply #285 on: November 06, 2014, 09:33:25 PM »
I'll pass on the cat shit. What kind of cat is that anyway? Looks more rodent or marsupial than cat.

In the South Pacific "cat" means "not a bear". I wonder where I can find some of its shit.

dillanharp

« Reply #286 on: November 06, 2014, 11:47:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In the South Pacific "cat" means "not a bear". I wonder where I can find some of its shit.
I looked the fucking thing up, it's in the "cat" suborder, but what really blew my mind was so were mongooses and hyenas... Aren't hyenas goddamn dogs?!

abudabi

« Reply #287 on: November 08, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »
feliformia. i think of hyenas as being canine like too but if u look at one they are pretty feline in appearance.

edit: i drink coffee with a small amount of milk. does that make me a super huge bitch?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:39:14 PM by abudabi »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #288 on: November 08, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »
feliformia. i think of hyenas as being canine like too but if u look at one they are pretty feline in appearance.

edit: i drink coffee with a small amount of milk. does that make me a super huge bitch?

No. How you drink coffee doesn't make you any more or less of a bitch than you already are. I've been drinking mine black for years and I'm still a huge bitch.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -52
« Reply #289 on: November 08, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »
as far as the whole does cream make me a bitch thing . . . i think about how in pulp fiction john travolta's character or whatever took his coffee black, and his character was totally bad ass. then that guy "the wolf" asks for his coffee with "lots of cream and lots of sugar", and that character was totally bad ass too. conclusion: what you put in your coffee (or what you don't put in your coffee) has no bearing on how bad ass you are. you know?

Prince Nelson

« Reply #290 on: November 09, 2014, 05:16:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No. How you drink coffee doesn't make you any more or less of a bitch than you already are. I've been drinking mine black for years and I'm still a huge bitch.

my life in a nutshell.

abudabi

« Reply #291 on: November 09, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »
i just think its funny that people think its manly to drink something with a slightly more bitter taste
like in tv or movies when the "serious" character orders their coffee black
or when you see memes saying "if your boyfriend cant drive stick, youve got a girlfriend"
as if these activities are reserved for gladiator types

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:17:54 PM by abudabi »

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #292 on: November 09, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »
In NJ we have this place called Rook and their coffee is fucking addicting. If youre ever in NJ you should definitely grab a cup of joe from them.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: November 09, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »
"if your boyfriend cant drive stick, youve got a girlfriend"

consider me a lesbian then.

abudabi

« Reply #294 on: November 09, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »
Expand Quote
"if your boyfriend cant drive stick, youve got a girlfriend"
[close]

consider me a lesbian then.
yeah i cant do it either but ive never tried so idk

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #295 on: November 09, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »
Bought some Brazilian coffee from this bakery near me called Caboclo.  Anyone heard of it?  Hope it's good.

dillanharp

« Reply #296 on: November 09, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
Everyone should learn to drive stick, man, woman, child. It's not a macho thing either, I spent 5 years with my ex driving everywhere because she couldn't drive my car. She said she drove with both feet so it was impossible for her to learn.

Can we agree though, you you order a pumpkin spice latee, yous a bitch?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
« Reply #297 on: November 09, 2014, 04:47:06 PM »
I hate having milk and cream in the house because I don't go through it fast enough....and for a bit I gave up dairy and thought if I can't drink it black....don't drink it.....

Now a good medium coffee is so good by itself....

I can't stand the cream/sugar stations either....'oh...heh..heh...um...sorry...eh...yeah.....'.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #298 on: November 09, 2014, 06:11:11 PM »
Can we agree though, you you order a pumpkin spice latee, yous a bitch?

dillanharp

« Reply #299 on: November 09, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
I can't stand the cream/sugar stations either....'oh...heh..heh...um...sorry...eh...yeah.....'.

Most accurate description.