Author Topic: Best Video Camera  (Read 1461 times)

THRILLHOUSE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Best Video Camera
« on: October 18, 2007, 01:17:41 PM »
Making a long overdue local skate vid.  It would be nice to not spend much over a 1500...any suggestions from filmers out there?

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
Re: Best Video Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 02:46:47 PM »
I'm a Sony fan, and in that price range I have a TRV-950 (TRV-900 is pretty good too), I don't know if they make them anymore, but there's bound to be an equivalent to it out there. If you had the bank, I'd go for a VX, though in some situations it can be a little large and require some caution when following someone in a ditch, bowl, or snakerun-type obstacle course.

One thing I'd stay away from are the hard drive-based cameras... at least until they come up with a solid-state camera than can hold 40-100 gigs of footy. The reason being is that hard drives themselves don't hold out too well when they undergo vibrations over a long (or long-ish) period of time. I don't have first hand experience with the hdd cameras first hand, but I've seen computer hard drives die because they weren't protected form vibrations over extended periods of time (they weren't properly mounted or securely seated). I would imagine that the little hd's they have in them eventually would succumb to the jolting and skating vibrations after a while.

Any Time At All

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:39:48 PM »
1500, you can get a cliche, but amazing Sony DCR-VX1000 with a Schneider optics Mk1 death, or VX2_000 with a Mk1 or Mk2 intermediate, or if you're not looking to spend that much on a lens, there's a modded Raynox MX3000 with one of those, but I've also heard very good things from the Panasonic DVX100 and DVX death, and DVC30's and DVC80's as well. But if I were you, I'd go for a DCR-VX1000 or VX2000 with a Mk1.

somekid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 04:07:10 AM »
Panasonic DVX100.
fuck a vx. this is the best camera i've ever used. and hold off on buying a fisheye for awhile, and learn to compose some cool long lens shots. your video will be tons better.

THRILLHOUSE

• Rep: 15
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 01:13:23 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 12:01:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Panasonic DVX100.
[close]
fuck a vx. this is the best camera i've ever used. and hold off on buying a fisheye for awhile, and learn to compose some cool long lens shots. your video will be tons better.

thats why trilogy was so good.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

somekid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 02:58:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Panasonic DVX100.
[close]
[close]

thats why trilogy was so good.
troof.

dirty dirt

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 05:21:33 PM »
Whats a good to decent camera,but pretty cheap?

somekid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 11:30:46 PM »
cannon optura.
or just about any sony.