Author Topic: money is the dirtiest thing on earth  (Read 3114 times)

MexicanSpaniard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: money is the dirtiest thing on earth
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 01:13:16 PM »
Coming soon the Red Bull Hella Tube. Andy MacDonald and Ryan Sheckler will skate down a tube into a foaming pit of Red Bull and cash, where they will be eaten by the angry monkeys mentioned in Whatever. The winner is skateboarding.

a post worthy of a gnar if I may say so and do.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 01:15:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Coming soon the Red Bull Hella Tube. Andy MacDonald and Ryan Sheckler will skate down a tube into a foaming pit of Red Bull and cash, where they will be eaten by the angry monkeys mentioned in Whatever. The winner is skateboarding.
[close]

a post worthy of a gnar if I may say so and do.

nothing to add to that MS!

boyan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 01:17:03 PM »
how long had nate been killing it by the way?

• Rep: 48
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 03:12:53 PM »
I've always secretly wondered to myself when greed would be diagnosed as a mental disorder.  It just seems like such a foreign concept to me. 

Anyhow, in my honest opinion, skateboarding has already died.  I'm not talking about the act of skateboarding, but rather the ambiguous/amorphous entity that bonded so many of us together and experienced in our youth.  I see it being reborn in some of the kids I skate with except it isn't the same, and it's amazing how receptive these kids are to that end.  Even they can see from videos just how much more raw it was in the past.  The spectre of skateboarding past is what still motivates me even though I know there are more people riding skateboards today.  Who would have thought it would ever happen though, the posers won?

“Skaters are rebels” Reggie Barnes
“…If we create campaigns trying to sway skateboarders they will possibly rebel against it and go even more to non branded boards”

appleicious

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »
As mentioned before...like what you want and ignore the rest. That's what skateboarding is all about. That's why Sheckler does what he does, Puleo does what he does and I do what I do...and I'm sure as all of you do. Like it or not, the world needs all kinds of people to bring balance. There has to be assholes that everyone hates and there has to be admirable people that everyone tries to be like. If we all shared the same views, we wouldn't even know it because there would be nothing to compare ourselves to.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 09:40:35 PM »
I really disagree with the idea of skateboarding "maxing out" soon.
Maybe in the eyes of the public, who start to see everything performed out of these monstrous ramps as the same old thing. But definitely not for skaters. There will be periods such as the one we appear to be in now, where the reality of skateboarding seems kind of diluted, but the creativity will always be there.

rollforever

• Rep: 0
  • Never heard of it
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007, 10:12:30 PM »
As long as we have Cards and parking curb sessions with the crew skateboarding will be ok.
Skateboarding ruined my life

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »
so im driving around with some buddies, just smoked.. we watched get familiar before we went out and skated. even though mostly all the skating in it is amazing, these new videos just dont hit me like they use to. old 411's and old videos and shit. i think the problem with then and now, mostly all those videos were made on low budget and woulod actual depict the life of a skateboarder. chillin with your friends and doing stupid shit. and then you and your buddies would go do the exact same thing.  now you look at all these guys now... and its like.. these professional skateboarders, are fucking loaded. it wasnt like this back then. the ads nowadays are seriously some of the most ridiculous shit i've ever seen. crazy shit photoshoped in and out. there are skateboarders on fucking mtv cribs.. i remember they would do a day in the life in old 411's and it would start off 80% of the time with whoever it was eating a bowl of cereal in his little apartment, call up the homies, throw together a board. go out met up and skate. now its like... these lame fake ass fucking lifestyles of these dudes wearing their necklaces and driving their cars.

and i cant comprehend how skateboarding can get any gnarlier.. they have a fucking mega ramp now. how can it get any crazier? It almost feels like skateboarding is on the brink of being maxed out. whats there left to do? videos now are just like... over edited, lifestyle hammers galore, you look at these tricks and you can almost tell they had no fun doing that trick, you know they sat there and tried it for hours on end, trying to get that last banger trick. make sure all their stickers are showing so they can cop that check. and the outfit better be tight cause if its now...holy shit, the shots garbage. and these fucking voiceovers.. of these dudes telling me why THEY love skating and how its an amazing way to express yourself with no boundries and all that... when does that come to an end? I fucking got it the first time i heard it. every single person says the same shit its just worded differently.

I just really with it would die. i had hope for a little while. but now it looks like skateboarding will be an olympic sport. woohoo. and for anyone who's going to read this and say... "skateboarding nowadays is better than its ever been, more people skateboarding and sharing a common intrest will help it progress blah blah blah whatever" ..fuck that and fuck you. thats now what this shit is about .... at all.

I love the rant!
I saw the avatar and heard this post in Gerwer's voice. Epic!

Skateboarding's will go down again, it probably won't make to as unpopular as it was before, but rest assured it will slow down.

"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 05:16:53 AM »
Expand Quote
so im driving around with some buddies, just smoked.. we watched get familiar before we went out and skated. even though mostly all the skating in it is amazing, these new videos just dont hit me like they use to. old 411's and old videos and shit. i think the problem with then and now, mostly all those videos were made on low budget and woulod actual depict the life of a skateboarder. chillin with your friends and doing stupid shit. and then you and your buddies would go do the exact same thing.  now you look at all these guys now... and its like.. these professional skateboarders, are fucking loaded. it wasnt like this back then. the ads nowadays are seriously some of the most ridiculous shit i've ever seen. crazy shit photoshoped in and out. there are skateboarders on fucking mtv cribs.. i remember they would do a day in the life in old 411's and it would start off 80% of the time with whoever it was eating a bowl of cereal in his little apartment, call up the homies, throw together a board. go out met up and skate. now its like... these lame fake ass fucking lifestyles of these dudes wearing their necklaces and driving their cars.

and i cant comprehend how skateboarding can get any gnarlier.. they have a fucking mega ramp now. how can it get any crazier? It almost feels like skateboarding is on the brink of being maxed out. whats there left to do? videos now are just like... over edited, lifestyle hammers galore, you look at these tricks and you can almost tell they had no fun doing that trick, you know they sat there and tried it for hours on end, trying to get that last banger trick. make sure all their stickers are showing so they can cop that check. and the outfit better be tight cause if its now...holy shit, the shots garbage. and these fucking voiceovers.. of these dudes telling me why THEY love skating and how its an amazing way to express yourself with no boundries and all that... when does that come to an end? I fucking got it the first time i heard it. every single person says the same shit its just worded differently.

I just really with it would die. i had hope for a little while. but now it looks like skateboarding will be an olympic sport. woohoo. and for anyone who's going to read this and say... "skateboarding nowadays is better than its ever been, more people skateboarding and sharing a common intrest will help it progress blah blah blah whatever" ..fuck that and fuck you. thats now what this shit is about .... at all.

[close]

I love the rant!

Skateboarding's will go down again, it probably won't make to as unpopular as it was before, but rest assured it will slow down.

man, i still need to get that jersey/hoodie out.

Steezburger413

• Rep: -7
    • www.theoryskateboarding.com avatar image
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2007, 06:10:11 AM »
I wish skateboarders still ran the industry, not mall kids.
"I know you ain't the fool that you is kid!"

boyan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2007, 06:32:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I love the rant!

[close]

man, i still need to get that jersey/hoodie out.

why is that?

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2007, 06:38:19 AM »
long story.

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2007, 08:12:11 AM »
I kind of agree, there are aspects of skating which are completely distasteful to me, but I think in the future there will always be an underground side to skating as well as the public image; people will always skate the streets and make janky illegal shit and that is what will keep skating alive

There are still pockets of fully underground skating; for example the mainstream hasn't arrived anywhere near my town in England; and tonight there will be a few of us gathering in the dark with a few home made blocks and bars to session the shit out of some isolated car park somewhere - if anyone notices us they'll call us names etc and still won't have a clue what we're up to or how much fun we're having :D

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2007, 10:33:48 AM »
I wish skateboarders still ran the industry, not mall kids.

The root to all of our problems right there.  I think thats the main difference from the early 90s and now.

skatebored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2007, 10:41:54 AM »
and tonight there will be a few of us gathering in the dark with a few home made blocks and bars to session the shit out of some isolated car park somewhere - if anyone notices us they'll call us names etc and still won't have a clue what we're up to or how much fun we're having :D

this is one of the best things said about skateboarding that i've ever read.

• Rep: 2
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2007, 10:57:09 AM »
Yeah theres always gonna be a underground street side of skateboarding,there are people that go out of there way to make or find spots,that dont care about money as much as greedy cunts,will only skate for underground companys and wont get themselves in the limelight as the "hottest skater".

My skate scene used to be tight,basicly doing what that dude just said,we would just skate this car park with a cali style bench my friend stole and just rails and we had a metal ledge etc.It was raw,no excess idiots hanging around no stupid comments,if dickheads would go up there then we would beat there asses up or just ressolve the issues and have a fun session.Just real shit.

Now most of the older skaters that are set in there ways have almost stopped skating and we just have a park full of bladers,familys and lil bastard kids.not real shit.I just skate the park a lil bit and skate a basketball court and skate/film around all my favourite creative spots around the streets.And bomb hills,lots of pushing i love pushing.

• Rep: 2
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2007, 12:58:34 PM »
Fuck it all anyone needs to do is read that josh stewart interview on the main page.It explains everything. Or just read my favourite parts here.

"YouTube and peer-to-peer sharing stuff and companies putting out videos for free are going to seriously damage the video industry, if not totally kill it. There's no way independent video makers can keep doing what they're doing. I can't keep doing what I'm doing. How do you live? You work every day for two years to make something good and then turn around and make no money on it because it's being copied and ripped off."

"Making videos isn't simply a money-making scheme. It's an art form, and when it gets pimped out and it's meaningless on a tiny window on your computer it's changing things for the worse. It's overkill; it pollutes the special things. All I see are negative impacts from the situation. "

" Seeing the whole picture instead of just the trick is more what I'm trying to show. We have guys from all over the place in this video, but we're filming it primarily in New York and London simply because of the aesthetic of the streets. That's one of the things that I feel makes Static unique. Not necessarily better, or even good, but at least we try to offer something different."

" With this one we've been filming stuff sometimes more for the spot than the trick. The idea of the aesthetic creates a certain feel. The people who would appreciate a Static video look for that kind of thing."

"Seeing videos like Eastern Exposure 3 was influential because it reminded people that you can go out and skateboard without a crew of stuntmen and ambulances in tow. I wanted to make a video that would get me stoked to skate instead of being terrified. "

"These guys need no flair, no gimmicks, no image consultants-and Josh documents them appropriately. Have a read about what goes into these labors of love, which help uphold the grand tradition of raw, creative skateboarding that matters to people like you. Static III is his newest creation and drops shortly. "

shutupbitch

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2007, 01:01:07 PM »
Didn't read the post but money is fine. It's the people's desperation for money that's the problem.

yep yep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2007, 03:58:10 PM »
there is so much variety these days, why not enjoy what you like and ignore\vibe the rest. i personally prefer the style of videos today to the old 411 hammer a thon's from earlier this decade but maybe your talking about further back. but video wise there's a lot of good stuff coming out. here's a couple parts that got me hyped recently plus there's static III, inhabitants and fully flaired all dropping nowish.

and let's not forget dennis, if nothing else we got dennis

here's a good homies part from an old 411