Author Topic: Skateboarding Appreciation  (Read 4282 times)

Round 2

Skateboarding Appreciation
« on: November 10, 2007, 06:27:47 PM »
Around this time of year up here in New York, it starts to get dark at around 5 o'clock, and it's straight night by 6. It can be a real bummer for skating, especially when you're used to it being daylight till 8 at night or so, like it is in the summer. It also can get real cold when the sun goes down.

Well I'm sitting in my room, it's like 7:30, and I'm just watching videos you guys have posted up on here and I'm bummed it's almost winter time, and it's dark and cold. Not much to look forward to from now till around april in terms of weather. Winter can be a long ass stretch. I'm dying to skate, so I stand on my board and just to imaginary lines, wishing it was still summer. Suddenly a thought hits me, and I'm like "Wait... fuck it." and I throw on a hoody, pick up my board and head outside.

I just decided to go skate anyways. Fuck it if it's cold and dark, and no one is around to skate with. So I just jumped on my board and started pushing. I skated down this road that was blocked off for road construction and some guys were working in a big ass hole. There was a bulldozer parked on the side of the road and I axle stalled the bucket a few times, then the guys working yelled something at me so I kept on skating. I saw this well lit up parking lot, so I turned in and started skating flat ground, just doing tre flips and shit. Then three black, thug looking dudes showed up at the other end of the parking lot, so I decided to move on.

Skated a little farther and came to another lit up parking lot. Just started practicing some more flat tricks. Got my inward heels back after having lost them for like 5 months, did some switch lines, stomped a bunch of tricks I haven't landed in a while. Just had on over-all awesome little session. The whole time cop cars kept passing by on the road, and I was waiting for someone to come and bitch at me, but no one really gave a shit. Spent a good hour there, and the whole little trip lasted like an hour and a half.

I fucking love skateboarding. It wasn't no trip to Barcelona, but it was the most satisfying skate sess I've had in a long ass time. Skating is probably one of the best things in my life right now, probably always will be. I think it's a rare thing in life. What else can be so much fun, just fucking around in a parking lot on a dark and cold november night? Idk, I just feel kinda blessed I have skateboarding. All of this might sound kinda corny or something, but I don't give a shit, nothing can kill this high.

I'm writing this to remind myself of how good skateboarding can be when I'm feeling down about it, maybe it might pick up one of you.

bbk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skateboarding Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 06:29:49 PM »
it's 3:30 in the mornin, I don't feel like reading all that now... but I do love skateboarding, even though I freak out over it sometimes...

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:55:42 PM »
I'm a fan of the act of skateboarding.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 07:01:40 PM »
skating is a good time

Sony MDR V2 headphones

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 08:03:38 PM »
Actually I think alot of people on here skate.

skatelife7

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »
its getting perfect here in florida right now to the point where i can get in 8 hour sessions a day..its amazing.

MattG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 11:15:41 PM »
its getting perfect here in florida right now to the point where i can get in 8 hour sessions a day..its amazing.
brag about it man. not every one is as lucky to live in fucking FLA or Cali.

the story reminds me of a session i had with some homies in a 30x20 dry area. filmed a montage id post it but its on facebook and i dont know if itll link, but fuckit ill try.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=18990843056&subj=516008056 (if it dont work o well.)
all about skateboard appreciation.

p.s 100th post - dontk now if its a milestone but wutevs. slap pal in a month or less.
If you get inspired to skate a certain way, how concerned are you with its popularity or acceptability within the skate world
I thought skating was popular and acceptable in the skate world. Maybe I didn't get that press release.

MJ

skatebored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 11:22:07 PM »
skated for the first time in a few weeks today(school had caught up with me and work too and i was way too busy)

anyways, it was awesome to skate again. just doing the tricks i had been thinking about for the past few weeks and just riding around and even messing up...it was all really fun. sometimes it takes a couple weeks away from the board to really appreciate it again.

skateboard pillows

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 12:55:36 AM »
I would gnar you if I could

HabitatRider420

• Rep: -11
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 12:59:29 AM »
Around this time of year up here in New York, it starts to get dark at around 5 o'clock, and it's straight night by 6. It can be a real bummer for skating, especially when you're used to it being daylight till 8 at night or so, like it is in the summer. It also can get real cold when the sun goes down.

Well I'm sitting in my room, it's like 7:30, and I'm just watching videos you guys have posted up on here and I'm bummed it's almost winter time, and it's dark and cold. Not much to look forward to from now till around april in terms of weather. Winter can be a long ass stretch. I'm dying to skate, so I stand on my board and just to imaginary lines, wishing it was still summer. Suddenly a thought hits me, and I'm like "Wait... fuck it." and I throw on a hoody, pick up my board and head outside.

I just decided to go skate anyways. Fuck it if it's cold and dark, and no one is around to skate with. So I just jumped on my board and started pushing. I skated down this road that was blocked off for road construction and some guys were working in a big ass hole. There was a bulldozer parked on the side of the road and I axle stalled the bucket a few times, then the guys working yelled something at me so I kept on skating. I saw this well lit up parking lot, so I turned in and started skating flat ground, just doing tre flips and shit. Then three black, thug looking dudes showed up at the other end of the parking lot, so I decided to move on.

Skated a little farther and came to another lit up parking lot. Just started practicing some more flat tricks. Got my inward heels back after having lost them for like 5 months, did some switch lines, stomped a bunch of tricks I haven't landed in a while. Just had on over-all awesome little session. The whole time cop cars kept passing by on the road, and I was waiting for someone to come and bitch at me, but no one really gave a shit. Spent a good hour there, and the whole little trip lasted like an hour and a half.

I fucking love skateboarding. It wasn't no trip to Barcelona, but it was the most satisfying skate sess I've had in a long ass time. Skating is probably one of the best things in my life right now, probably always will be. I think it's a rare thing in life. What else can be so much fun, just fucking around in a parking lot on a dark and cold november night? Idk, I just feel kinda blessed I have skateboarding. All of this might sound kinda corny or something, but I don't give a shit, nothing can kill this high.

I'm writing this to remind myself of how good skateboarding can be when I'm feeling down about it, maybe it might pick up one of you.

I had the same kind of session today at this skate jam, and just had the best time skating a flatbar, just a good mix of skaters and shit like everyone was feeding off eachother, I was like on-point with all my shit, stomping the cleanest shit ever, I did a backlip fakie and just landing shit is like the best feeling ever, then I skated the mini for bit and did some shit I havent done in a while.  Around the time it got dark we ventured up into the campus and we skated these brand new stone ledges that you can manny on top, smooth brick ground, the other guys left and I skated down back through the campus just doing one big line, bombing some hills and just fucking around, it was so satisfiying, haha nothing will kill my high right right now either

skatelife7

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 06:02:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the story reminds me of a session i had with some homies in a 30x20 dry area. filmed a montage id post it but its on facebook and i dont know if itll link, but fuckit ill try.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=18990843056&subj=516008056 (if it dont work o well.)

p.s 100th post - dontk now if its a milestone but wutevs. slap pal in a month or less.

haha, sorry about that..its seriously only going to be nice cool but sunny weather like this for a good 5 months, 6 if we're lucky, then its back to the humid, unpredictable rain, 90 degree sticky ass weather that florida is known for.

congrats on the 100th post btw.

Sony MDR V2 headphones

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 06:04:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I would gnar you if I could

The feelings are mutual for that avatar.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »
it's 3:30 in the mornin, I don't feel like reading all that now... but I do love skateboarding, even though I freak out over it sometimes...

true

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 02:23:10 PM »

I love skating when it's dark. Just cruising around hitting some random spots you wouldnt even bother about in the daytime. Makes you skate different, I guess.

Gutterhead

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 02:28:27 PM »
it gets dark at 5 here in the bay too.
it sucks, cause the only lit up spots in my city are manny pads. and we dont' have flood lights.

WonkaBar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »
it sucks, definitely. but its just another thing to be psyched about when you land a trick. thats why east coast skaters are the rawest, they can skate anything anytime

HabitatRider420

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 02:46:57 PM »
East coast skaters have always been the best

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 03:25:29 PM »

After the west coast skaters of course, but that goes without saying ;-)

HabitatRider420

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 03:42:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah west coast kids have been on the crazy program for a while now, but just think of some of the best guys to come from the east

Ryan Gallant
PJ Ladd
Bachinsky
Chris Cole
Zered Bassett
Tommy Wisdom
Josh Kalis
Brian Wenning
Stevie
I could go on forever...

anyone else wanna add any?

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 03:51:34 PM »
tim oconnor
bobby puleo
ricky oyola
danny renaud
jason dill
fred gall
anthony poppalardo

I mean the west has its fair share too but id say the awesome to shitty ratio is wayyy better on the east.

MattG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 05:29:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

haha, sorry about that..its seriously only going to be nice cool but sunny weather like this for a good 5 months, 6 if we're lucky, then its back to the humid, unpredictable rain, 90 degree sticky ass weather that florida is known for.

congrats on the 100th post btw.

thanks dude. Im jelous on the fact u got a nice 6 months ahead of u. I reckon theres about 3 months ahead of rain. And no solid undergrounds in Vic. O wells. Ill find a way.
If you get inspired to skate a certain way, how concerned are you with its popularity or acceptability within the skate world
I thought skating was popular and acceptable in the skate world. Maybe I didn't get that press release.

MJ

Duffy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • talkin mad shit kid
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 06:39:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah west coast kids have been on the crazy program for a while now, but just think of some of the best guys to come from the east

Ryan Gallant
PJ Ladd
Bachinsky
Chris Cole
Zered Bassett
Tommy Wisdom
Josh Kalis
Brian Wenning
Stevie
I could go on forever...

anyone else wanna add any?

I didn't know Michigan counted as the east coast... ::)