Author Topic: What happened to Matt Field and IPATH?  (Read 10877 times)

stopthehate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: What happened to Matt Field and IPATH?
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »
Okay so heres the real scoop. and a warning label says stop talking shit on people like Field, Nate, just because you dont understand what style has to do with skateboarding. milking it doesnt exist in the same world as matts nollie snap or nates push, let alone the mans kickflip and treflip. so now, in order to cease the bullshit talk of drugs, money, and power, heres a bit of a clearer look at what happend. field, who was never a full owner, and the other behind the scenes people (who had nothing to do with creating ipath and its image) sold the company to a larger corporation. upon the change, the behind the scenes guys who were believed to be good natured decided that is was them who made ipath what it was, not the people who built it like field, bigfoot, barker, and all of the original riders. so they decided it was there company which not only left field with a much smaller chunk of the selling price, it also left him in a struggle to get his ideas and words in. they took over, treated him like shit as well as all of the other OG riders, dropping pay and cutting down boxes of product, and began to let go off and put people in the position to quit. while field may take the blame for all of the bullshit happening over there from uninformed assholes on the internet, i figured i'd try to do justice to the man who is certainly not a "douchebag" and is one of the most amazing people to watch skate and skate with. maybe if people could find the joy in pushing around a city with friends they would get little insight into what it is that makes these skaters so amazing, not to mention more timless than johnny backflip lipslide, who now happens to ride for the New Ipath. So all of the team shifts have had no say from matt as they have dismissed his advice and contributions. and to end, if you dont like someones skating, dont adress it, i know the nature of these things are hateful but its not cool to offend people who think of these people as the style gods of skateboarding, in the end you just look silly. i may sound lame but cmon, go watch field and nate in real to reel or closure and get back to me. if your still unimpressed you may need skatetherapy. Peace buds

Orgone

• Rep: 16

sergioflorez

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2007, 12:05:44 AM »
craig nejedly is our newest slap pal.

koots

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2007, 02:50:18 AM »
Expand Quote
fuck ipath.

bigfoot is nate jones

so...

nate jones
matt field
matt pailes
danny renaud
jon newport

have been kicked off so far...

and ipath has added bob burnquist and BEN RAYBOURN?

Ben Raybourn?  A 14 year old tight pant skate jock sheckler wannabe with his own website? 

www.benraybourn.com
[close]

i bet that ben kid skates for fun

and uh, bigfoot isnt nate jones

my bad...I was grasping at straws.
Ok,

You must be new to the Skateboard game.  This is real industry talk.  "It's all about who you know".  And that's real.
  Beautiful

mdspb

• Rep: 29
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2007, 07:52:20 AM »
Okay so heres the real scoop. and a warning label says stop talking shit on people like Field, Nate, just because you dont understand what style has to do with skateboarding. milking it doesnt exist in the same world as matts nollie snap or nates push, let alone the mans kickflip and treflip. so now, in order to cease the bullshit talk of drugs, money, and power, heres a bit of a clearer look at what happend. field, who was never a full owner, and the other behind the scenes people (who had nothing to do with creating ipath and its image) sold the company to a larger corporation. upon the change, the behind the scenes guys who were believed to be good natured decided that is was them who made ipath what it was, not the people who built it like field, bigfoot, barker, and all of the original riders. so they decided it was there company which not only left field with a much smaller chunk of the selling price, it also left him in a struggle to get his ideas and words in. they took over, treated him like shit as well as all of the other OG riders, dropping pay and cutting down boxes of product, and began to let go off and put people in the position to quit. while field may take the blame for all of the bullshit happening over there from uninformed assholes on the internet, i figured i'd try to do justice to the man who is certainly not a "douchebag" and is one of the most amazing people to watch skate and skate with. maybe if people could find the joy in pushing around a city with friends they would get little insight into what it is that makes these skaters so amazing, not to mention more timless than johnny backflip lipslide, who now happens to ride for the New Ipath. So all of the team shifts have had no say from matt as they have dismissed his advice and contributions. and to end, if you dont like someones skating, dont adress it, i know the nature of these things are hateful but its not cool to offend people who think of these people as the style gods of skateboarding, in the end you just look silly. i may sound lame but cmon, go watch field and nate in real to reel or closure and get back to me. if your still unimpressed you may need skatetherapy. Peace buds

Thank you. Matt's been working hard on Rasa Libre; his team is great and his next batch of boards should be awesome.
JAH SK8 SPB

SimonP

moustache

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2007, 08:55:20 AM »
Good call on pointing out Real to Real and Closure, they're both two really recent video's, which highlight why both dudes definitely deserve botha pro board and shoe...

For real though: Field had his day, I just heard he was acting like a douche these days. No one has seen shit from Nate in forever, which isn't a bad thing if he puts together one hell of a comeback part, and other than that: the new Rasa Libra fucking sucks.

It is but a piss-poor representation of what it once was. In my humble opinion.

But regardless, thanks for clearing up the IPath industry gossip... I won't be holding my breath for the new Bigfoot and Field shoe company that may or may not rear it's ugly head... but then again: I've been wrong before!

JUST GIVE OCEAN A BOARD COMPANY ALREADY!

sergioflorez

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2007, 09:03:20 AM »
JUST GIVE OCEAN A BOARD COMPANY ALREADY!

stopthehate

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2007, 10:09:20 AM »
Field had his day? That type of shit doesnt make sense to me, style ages like fine wine and gets cleaner and more visible with time on board. Fields style has changed and nothing gets me as hyped as new footage or coverage of him and the crew. so if you think about him as milking it, im proof that hes not because he keeps me pushing, so that should solve that. from personal experience and not HEARSAY, hes always been hyped for everyone skating and hanging out no matter the age or being good or any shit like that. homie just loves to push around with is good friends in SF and scream "rasa libre!" which i also happen to take joy in so again, hes serving a portion of the skate community which means he aint milkin it. You see no gino coverage and a few skatepark clips in the nike vid but he's still a god. im not making a comparison as the styles are no way similar, but for reference only. Nate is cold chilling and always has. when your born skating like that i think id pay him to sit on a couch and come out with an all flatground part and it would still blow my mind. fields gonna have a bunch of stuff coming out soon so keep your eyes peeled. and new rasa hate? im not backing that, sick crew, sick boards, and same dope ass graphics and visuals. if it aint for you then thats cool, but the shit is sick, i think it just takes a little longer to do a company on your own then with the help of a major branch of companies. give it time, and wait for the younguns-ryan lay the blaster with the dope style and ben gore who straight kills, both rippers but more importantly both got original and sick styles. so for that "humble" opinion, chill it out son! and keep holding that breeathhhhh. paix out

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2007, 10:23:35 AM »
Well how does Nate Jones puts out one part Real to Reel and gets a shoe and Matt Rodriguez doesn't until two years ago? I'm not a big fan of nate I can really do without his push. I would rather see Gonz,Dill,TG, MJ,Rick howard push then him.. That's style and not some 6 trick pony.

moustache

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2007, 01:39:04 PM »
Sorry for having an opinion bud.

You win. At opinions.

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2007, 03:42:20 PM »
You should shave yourself or better yet give yourself the Hitler steez.

moustache

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »
Ha, that was almost good... So I'm not allowed to think Matt Field and Nate Jones have been rinsing it a bit in the skate "industry" for the last few years?

This is coming from someone who's always liked them both.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2007, 03:45:39 PM »

Who does Johnny Backflip Lipslide ride for these days?  Baker or Plan B?

Sony MDR V2 headphones

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2007, 03:48:28 PM »
fuck ipath.

bigfoot is nate jones

so...

nate jones
matt field
matt pailes
danny renaud
jon newport

have been kicked off so far...

and ipath has added bob burnquist and BEN RAYBOURN?

Ben Raybourn?  A 14 year old tight pant skate jock sheckler wannabe with his own website? 

www.benraybourn.com

Yeah, I saw him on Kristian Svitak's Firsthand on Fuel.

He does bonelesses more than ollies.

jrock

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »
that Raybourne kid is from Houston i think.  maybe Sleazy knows him?

kidyellow

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2007, 04:56:30 PM »

its all good to clear up rumors but real talk
not everyone is going to see style.
more importantly style is subjective and you of all people should know that.
its hypocritical to tell people that they need therapy if they aren't impressed.
there will always be hate. stopping the hate is for lucid dreaming.
maybe if you really want to hate to stop you should start with yourself.

Jura

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2007, 12:38:53 PM »
Im going to buy the Gall shoes. I cant help it.

I still am not psyched on the new Ipath though.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2007, 01:24:03 PM »
that Raybourne kid is from Houston i think.  maybe Sleazy knows him?

yeah, I know him and his father. Been saying he was the next Chaz for a while now. He's got a supportive Dad but his Dad's not the skoach type (just like Chaz), so I definitely wouldn't call him a little sheckler. The reason he reminds me of Chaz is because Chaz was kind of out of touch with popular skating when he was young and this kid was the same way when I first met him and his Dad. Like you know how you see the kids who are obviously emulating their favorite pros from their favorite videos long before they learn how to skate, well this kid was obviously not one of those kids and was more of one of those dirty little park rats that fly solo and are always skating, never chilling, doing their own thing. First time I saw him skate I said to a friend that it seemed like he never saw a skate video before except maybe the dogtown documentary. Ben was killing the bowl at southside that day but doing tricks that it seemed like he was making up as he went along, but that weren't entirely wack like some todd falcon shit. Anyway, I later met his dad and asked what skate videos they watched and his Dad said the only one he owned was dog town. He was probably 11 or so at the time.

Every since I've chatted with his Dad and I'm stoked for the kid. Unique style, very creative and definitely been getting way more gnarly. For example at the southside showdown this year, he skated the best trick on the 3 flat 3 and his trick was gap to firecracker the last 3. I thought it was the sickest trick that got done down the set that day because I've never seen it done before. Big O who owns southside commented on the contest saying that it was really weird to try and judge Ben with everyone else because his tricks were so different.

Sorry to babble on but I'd hate to see this kid get lumped in with the shecklers because he seems like a natural who's doing his own thing and not following trends and seems like the kind of kid that has TNT type potential too me so I'm holding a candle for him.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:26:30 PM by Sleazy »

kraftwerk

• Rep: 14
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2007, 01:55:58 PM »
stopthehate; you need to exercise some serious moderation on those bong rips broham.
Nate Jones has by no means surpassed his real to reel part, and in the modern day, while university professor Ocean Howell can dedicate some quality time to capturing amazing skateboarding on film, nate keeps it 'chill' with one line, which, IMO was a great start to a nate part, but it just abruptly moves on to the next rider, this human gets paid to skateboard, and at the time, endorse a signature shoe made for, get this -skateboarding-  we all know he can backside kickflip with ease, and push. He was/is milking it, as a friend, you are biased, that's really good to hear that he still enjoys skating  and all,  but if you possess half a brain you should begin to process the difference between selective coverage, and flat-out milking it.
chasing the dream

sanch

• Rep: -3
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2007, 02:04:04 PM »
ouch!
Rasa Libre and High Grade are completely separate entities. Completely different hippies-mdspb

stopthehate

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2007, 01:52:17 PM »
may sound crazy to you, but no plants were involved in my train of thought. if your going to come on these things and do skate talk, you gotta have the info to back it. 6 newell ring a bell? one of my favorite parts of all times is nate in that video which came out not too long ago (in addition: go to the bonus and watch the 360 flip he does in the line at the skatepark, if that doesnt do something for you then we are on separate planes anyways so its ok that we dont see eye to eye). The ipath promo, being a promo, doesnt need to consist of full parts as it was intended to introduce jack and shed light on some of the less scene/known people on the team. the full length was scheduled to come out but due to the destruction of the company that obviously aint gonna happen. big things are coming with the new rasa, dope new graphichs from the new art design, new gear, all of that plus a promo in the very near future. i think it would be awesome if ocean had a board on rasa and if there were more nate coverage and footy...

kraftwerk

« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2007, 04:12:02 PM »
well sure, it did not "need" full parts, but it showcased only those who put the time and effort into ripping for the purpose of promoting i-path via the "promo" even though it was the length of a short skate vid. So, yes that would be great if nate comes with new footage/coverage for Rasa, but there is a plethora of photographers here in northern california,i know better than to acccept the main reason he isn't getting exposure lies on the back of the  i-path debacle, people who shred on the regular get photo's outside of advertisemnts. and i do have the 'info' to back it.
when i saw matt field, it was a hot, sunny day, and dude was wearing some sort of wool black trench coat and, yes he did nollie a footstool, i expected more, atleast he skated a tad better than matt pailes, who spent more time on babylon's pervasive means of communication; the cellular phone, than skateboarding.
chasing the dream

CRACKMONSTER

« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »
Nate has never proven himself as worthy of a pro shoe. The thought of him ever deserving one is just nonsense. Here's his career in a nutshell.

backside flip// 360 flip// back tail// kickflip

Am I forgetting anything? How can someone be stoked to see the same shit over and over again?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:53:23 PM by CRACKMONSTER »

stopthehate

« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2007, 08:11:02 PM »
crack monster, quit smokin that rock son: its how you do it, not what you do. and im just as stumped as you as to why nate doesnt come out with photos ever, i wish there was more or any really. fields gear (which on a side note is quite often pretty epicly sick) has little to do with his skating. people got days, and i have never seen field skate and not been siked by it, but thats me. as far as babylons pervasive means of communication, thats probably the funniest thing i heard in a minute. big ups on the comedy kraft, you live in sf?

CRACKMONSTER

« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2007, 08:25:33 PM »
i like matt field and his enthusiasm and love for skating. there needs to be more of that

you even said it yourself Nate does not get any coverage. Please point out anything that
would lead one to believe he deserves a shoe. And I think his style is great but he is by
no stretch a great skater. he is average and average is not good enough to get a pro shoe.
i think he deserves a board and a spot on a company but he does not have the track record
of other ultra low key guys like a Mariano or Dill to be getting away with it. more power to him but
i dislike seeing guys who deserve a shoe not get one cause the company had to give one to the
undeserving guy who does not skate hard. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 08:28:10 PM by CRACKMONSTER »

kraftwerk

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2007, 08:45:19 PM »
stopthehate: no, i live in sonoma county, north of frisco, do you ride for a HGD company, or just good friends wiff dem irie rockers?
chasing the dream

mdspb

• Rep: 29
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2007, 09:47:39 PM »
Rasa Libre and High Grade are completely separate entities. Completely different hippies.
JAH SK8 SPB

kraftwerk

« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2007, 11:29:13 PM »
true, but they are associated thrugh crew,  jah-bless companies are few and far between
chasing the dream

sanch

• Rep: -3
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2007, 11:37:43 PM »
Rasa Libre and High Grade are completely separate entities. Completely different hippies.

thanks for the sig!
Rasa Libre and High Grade are completely separate entities. Completely different hippies-mdspb