Author Topic: CONFESSION Thread: ever focused a brand new board?  (Read 3806 times)

skatebored

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: CONFESSION Thread: ever focused a brand new board?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 07:10:06 PM »
Expand Quote
i'm sure everyone has done it if you've skated for more than 10 years.  sometimes it just feels good.  but yeah inevitably you end up feeling like a kook, especially if done in front of others.
[close]

Why because after 10 years and you still suck, its finally time to start blaming the board?

or during the course of 10 years its likely that you may get frustrated enough to snap a board at least a couple times.

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 07:17:27 PM »
ive never even thought of it, unless you were getting them for free its pretty fucking stupid and embarassing
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

ryanoconnor

• Rep: 5
  • pile for life
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 07:21:30 PM »
actually i have focused more than one, but they weren't my own. this kid that used to ride for world around here would ask me to focus his board occasionally as he was too little to do it himself most of the time.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 08:00:07 PM »
I've never focused one that's even close to new, but if the tail is worn out and it's soggy and i'm having a shitty day i've put a few out of there misery.

In general, I look down on people who are constantly throwing boards and breaking them.  Back during the cky1 / cky2k days when a lot of kids started getting into bam and skateboarding I remember seeing a spike in kids freaking out.  Thanks Kerry Getz.

RadRacing

• Rep: -3
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 08:28:08 PM »
once because it was the most disgustingly shaped board ever, boardroom blank.

yeah i focused a brand new boardroom blank once. i was having a shitty day and it skated worse than the deck i replaced with it, which fell in the water like 6 times at that spot a block north of cibc.

slosher

• Rep: -10
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 08:41:11 PM »
I focused a 1 hour old GOODWOOD, the tail felt flimsy like it was almost cracked or something and i couldnt do anything so i broke it 1st try

sergioflorez

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 08:48:38 PM »
yes. wild in the streets new york a few years back. brought a jj rosseau cliche deck at supreme. only to wreck the fucker on the makeshift launch ramp up the stairs at the banks. 53 bucks down the drain* in half and hour.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:50:10 PM by sergioflorez »

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 09:03:44 PM »
when i was just starting i broke a board in a day and took it back to the shop, they were so nice about it and hooked up another, bad laminate or something.

ive stolen a complete, which is just as dumb as focusing shit really
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

SLUTBALL

• Rep: -25
  • kill yourself
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 09:07:21 PM »
yeah, it was my first and last ever element board, it was a bam margera board. and at that time i thought it was the sickest graphic, it was purple white and black and it had a bat on it. it was a size 8. i was just skating flat ground and i was like, fuck man, elements suck fucking ass so hard fuck this, and it was the first board i ever focused. i did myself a huge favor in doing that, i never bought an element since.

Sony MDR V2 headphones

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2007, 09:09:43 PM »
I am guilty of this...

I put the half decks in the ground to resemble tombstones

MattG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2007, 09:16:35 PM »
yes. wild in the streets new york a few years back. brought a jj rosseau cliche deck at supreme. only to wreck the fucker on the makeshift launch ramp up the stairs at the banks. 53 bucks down the drain* in half and hour.

damn you coulda got a hooker for that price and time!

IVE DONE it before generally never one the first session but sometimes ill tend to do it because i ather feel like im ballin and smashin a new board will show my balla status or im being a complete idiot, probably the later. I generally try not to stress when skating and usually dont, but sometimes when u fall hard within the first 20 mins of a session iits asking for it. probably only done it to about 3-5 new (1-3sessions) decks.
If you get inspired to skate a certain way, how concerned are you with its popularity or acceptability within the skate world
I thought skating was popular and acceptable in the skate world. Maybe I didn't get that press release.

MJ

swissenheights

• Rep: 6
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2007, 09:22:29 PM »
i was about to today
dah

sergioflorez

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2007, 09:23:45 PM »

not wild in the streets. i forget the event.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2007, 09:44:31 PM »
only focused a new board once.... it was a girl p-rod deck like 3 years ago...  i couldnt stand the mellow concave and i was losing all my flips with that deck so i stomped it many many times till it broke...

man i was an idiot....

cant afford to keep breaking decks, so ill only focus one when its worn to shit....  cracks and razor tail....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2007, 09:54:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i'm sure everyone has done it if you've skated for more than 10 years.  sometimes it just feels good.  but yeah inevitably you end up feeling like a kook, especially if done in front of others.
[close]

Why because after 10 years and you still suck, its finally time to start blaming the board?
[close]

or during the course of 10 years its likely that you may get frustrated enough to snap a board at least a couple times.

i've skated more than 10 years and i've never focused a board and probably never will.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

skatebored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2007, 09:55:43 PM »
while we're on the subject....it always embarrasses me when i do end up getting angry and focusing a deck.

it also embarrasses me when kids come into the shop for a new board and rush outside to break their old board in front of the shop, as if it cant be saved or just taken apart as it is. i guess we were all 15 at one time.

Tobias Funke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
  • Oh, come on. Don't leave your uncle T-bag hanging.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2007, 10:33:21 PM »
I never break boards. I always end my old boards that are worn out or I feel like I've had too long by focusing them. A friend of mine used to focus his boards in front of kids on purpose just to see the look on their face.

matt/tx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2007, 10:45:12 PM »
ever since i stopped skating stairs i havent focused a board i cNt even find anything to break them on i just give them to the homies who are riding worse boards then me

baxter

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2007, 10:47:18 PM »
I can't afford it, if I could I would have done it 3 times today. But as I was thinking about it I saw a old walmart board laying in the gutter and snapped it. Then the third time I saw one of the 16 wheeler boards and snapped that fucker.

Gest

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2007, 10:59:15 PM »
i have really only focused boards when im having a solo sesh like doing flatground tricks or something in the parking lot by my house... seeing your friends focus boards bring down the sesh. if you laugh they'll probably get more pissed off, and when nobody says anything it makes them feel stupid. which is the right thing to do, because in reality it is stupid. oh well.

CRACKMONSTER

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2007, 11:01:34 PM »
why focus when you could bum around with it and sell it for chump change crack money.

deep

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2007, 04:46:52 AM »
why focus when you could bum around with it and sell it for chump change crack money.

kev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2007, 05:04:23 AM »
Only once, it was the flattest, shittiest board I'd ever ridden, cheap ebay shit.  I went to the park and it was packed solid for some contest/product toss that was ending.  I couldn't land anything whatsoever then I put a tiny crack in it and finished the job.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2007, 05:56:04 AM »
Yes, I did, unfortunately more than once, but I stopped, it was kind of new years resolution decision :).
I haven’t broke one since then. When I'm done with them, they are usually still in pretty good shape and I give them away to kids that need them.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2007, 07:01:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Scott Johnston 'catlike dexterity' model from Think -
[close]

It was a Mad Circle. I had that deck too.
Me three, love them skinny minnies.

I"ve only focused a board once during an angry man solo flatground sesh.  What's worse is getting brand new boards run over by a car which has happened a couple times.  I had this brand new alex is the answer alien board that shot out into the street and I swear a cab changed lanes and sped up just to hit it.

Mad Max

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2007, 07:24:20 AM »
The only time that comes to mind was whn I stressed and snapped a perfectly fine Mariano (sacreligious by FF standards). The worst thing was I actually found that that board had the best concave for me.

I don't know what's more annoying though- snapping a board out of stress, or by bailing a gap?

loophole

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2007, 07:27:42 AM »
by gap, because snapping a board by stress is mysteriously relieving, even if you liked the board

magnet

• Rep: 2
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2007, 07:54:42 AM »
Not yet and hopefully not ever but:  I did accidentally throw by board at a guy in front of his girlfriend, lumberjack the side of the board, purposely stomp a boardslide to crack a deck in half and set a brand new pair of shoes on fire before.

Did end up snapping the tail of a 3 day old board doing a flatground heelflip and getting another 4 day old board run over by a car that snuck up on me skating a park and ride.  Lost control of the board and the car promptly rolled onto it and stopped.

bothersome

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2007, 07:58:43 AM »
guilty as charged but at least it wasn't around anyone else.

60ticketatsaveon

• Rep: -7
  • i hate rain
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2007, 09:27:11 AM »
not even once. love your board and it will love you