Author Topic: ROLLING STONES ARE THE GREATEST!  (Read 2380 times)

beeda weeda

Re: ROLLING STONES ARE THE GREATEST!
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 10:04:33 PM »
playin' with fire
moonlight mile
sister morphine
heartbreaker
monnkey man
can't you hear me knockin'

they are a great band, but so played out, but there is a reason they are played

sanch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 10:10:11 PM »
timeless. I've listened to them my whole life and it does get played out. Then you stop listening and hear a song years later and it's like the first time. I just recently heard the song Angie and it's one of their best. Never heard it before 07.
Rasa Libre and High Grade are completely separate entities. Completely different hippies-mdspb

colinator

• Rep: 3
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 06:20:35 AM »
saw them live at fenway a couple years ago, they did not dissapoint.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 06:46:29 AM »
i seriously can't believe so many don't have respect for the stones. definitely like them more than floyd and the beatles.

JunglePOP

• Rep: 29
  • Art Hellemen where are you?
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 04:15:45 PM »
Dude, theyre classic!
Sorry, sometimes I get overly defensive on that point.

the ragamuffin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 49
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2007, 04:34:20 PM »
i seriously can't believe so many don't have respect for the stones. definitely like them more than floyd and the beatles.

All three are amazing in their own respects.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »
Dude, theyre classic!

the london singles set is my favorite
hardly art, hardly starving

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2007, 05:44:47 PM »
i think ive seen snippets from rock roll circus on vh1 classic. if i could find the torrent i would probably download it.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

VictorOG

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 09:46:07 PM »
I've never really cared for stones, theres like only 2-3 songs I like by them. Just not my cup of tea, but I respect all bands,except those lame new age rappers and pop punk bands like fall out boy.
crème de la crème

sebastian toombs

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 11:52:40 AM »
a story or two about their last big tour...

a very, very large touring outfit brings 20 - 25 trucks with them.  like, a show that has its own stage, lots of lights and probably some pyro, tons of merch.   im pretty sure that in 13 years i never worked an arena show with more than 23-25 trucks (this doesnt include outdoor festivals like ozzfest and lilith fair).   anyway, when the rolling stones last came to vancouver they had 67 trucks.  yeah, sixty-seven...   they were renting big parking lots 10kms away from the arena in order to park all their rigs and trailers.

they were touring with three different stage setups.  one for enormo-dome shows, like the size of a football field.  another for smaller, more intimiate venues-- like hockey and basketball arenas.   and a third setup for smaller venues of say 1500-5000 seats, like for a very large club.  they brought this with them "just in case," whatever that means...

so, their enormo-dome stage is approximately 40+ trucks.  they build a steel structure that is between 5 and 6 stories high  (or at least has 5 or 6 distinct levels).  this structure legally qualifies as a 'building', and so the stones need to have a municipal building inspector on site to approve the whole project prior to the show.  this means they have to meet all kind of code about electrical, safety, escapability, etc.

in vancouver they played at bc place, a big domed football arena.  i was one of the head forklift drivers (i dont do stagecraft, just un/loading with forks).  crews had been working on the stage for about 3 days, around the clock, and the show was in two days.   as i understand it from some riggers, a call came in late at night to the stage manager.  his conversation was something like:  "what?  are you sure?" ...   "oh for fucks sake, fine, okay, no worries, talk to you later."   he had everyone stop work right there.  STOP, STOP, STOP.    turns out one of the stones had a sore throat or some such shit, and the show had been cancelled for the time being.  everyone was sent home for the night, and the next morning at 7am they started taking everytihg apart and loading it back onto the trucks.   kicker is, the next week, the stones were playing little acoustic shows at some obscure nightclub in new york city!

anyway, they promised to come back later that summer, and they did.  i figure they probably lost a couple million on their vancouver show what with all the logistics involved, but i have 100% respect for those guys because they did come back.  their fans mean a lot to them i guess, theres a lot of respect there.  they didnt need to, they could have just said 'sorry its cancelled' they way so many hiphop shows do, or dudes like axel rose.  but they came back and put on an awesome show, even though they lost money on it or barely broke even. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 11:56:49 AM by sebastian toombs »

colinator

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
they didnt need to, they could have just said 'sorry its cancelled' they way so many hiphop shows do, or dudes like axel rose. 

that happened to me in my town, but because he canceled everyone who bought tickets got a gift certificate for free chineese food. it was lik e $50 worth and my ticket only cost $20. not bad.

loudwizard

• Rep: 2
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2007, 07:08:39 PM »
Everything everybody says about the Stones is true.
They should have quit 25 years ago, they're corporate hacks,
Mick Jagger is a fucking zombie, all that shit-
but they also had a ton of amazing songs and albums.

If you can listen to "Honky Tonk Women" or "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"
or goddamn motherfucking "Satisfaction" or about a dozen other tunes I could name
and not think that they were a pretty great band until about 1975,
you probably need to go back to listening to fucking Belle & Sebastian
or god knows what else and forget about actual rock music.