Author Topic: New Spot: Ledge help.  (Read 2337 times)

Tuna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
New Spot: Ledge help.
« on: December 02, 2007, 09:07:28 PM »
Im making a diy spot and i need help as to making the ledge last longer as my past ledge making ventures resulted in chunks coming off the corner of ledge. Any help?

matt/tx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 13
Re: New Spot: Ledge help.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 09:52:08 PM »
cinder blocks and angle iron figure it out from there

somekid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
you forgot two things:

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 10:48:22 PM »
thanks. if all goes according to plan this spot might show up in a video or 2.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 11:25:47 PM »
for your concrete ledge get rebar inside the concrete to keep it from falling apart, liquid nails for your coping....

my friend who studied design engineering said that its important to "cure" the concrete after it has hardened....  all you need to do is slap loads of newpaper all over the ledge and pour tonnes of water on it.... when the new paper is dry repeat 2-3 times, depending on the size of the ledge....

this is because when as concrete hardens it is a highly exothermic reaction, aka gives off a lot of heat....  the heat causes the concrete to crack from within, so slapping wet newpaper on helps absorb this heat....

and make sure you get the proportion of sand, concrete and granite....  too much granite and it cracks easily too....

hope this is helpful....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SimonP

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 08:36:27 AM »

matt/tx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »
that was the figure it out part

swissenheights

• Rep: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 09:53:32 PM »
i wish i could do this.
dah

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 12:11:22 AM »
i wish i had space for a ledge like that.... ide be more than ready to put in the backbreaking labor to build a solid ledge like that.....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bothersome

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 11:41:49 PM »
we made sick ledges with nothing more then cinder blocks and a shit ton of liquid nails.
it all depends on how legit you wanna be.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 12:43:43 AM »
nothing like putting some effort into making your own spot or obstacle.....  its hard work but the feeling of doing tricks on something you built with your own hand.....  amazing...
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Art_G

• Rep: 3
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 08:59:47 PM »
rocklobster knows what's up.

That's why you see sprinklers set up on new concrete... often new parks (especially if the weather's warm when they pour) will be kept wet for awhile before you can skate them.

Time is also a factor in curing; people don't park cars on a new driveway for a few days... ideally you wouldn't skate your new ledge for a few weeks. Concrete actually cures for a long time before it's done.

Also, do you use an edging trowel? You don't want a sharp edge, since concrete is brittle when it's thin. If you slightly round the edge with an edging trowel, that will help with chipping/crumbling. I'm not talking skatepark coping-round, just making sure it isn't sharp.

One more thing: I'm assuming you're mixing your own concrete and not ordering it from a ready-mix company. If so, you probably aren't vibrating the mix. Next best thing is to tap the forms all around with a hammer to get all the air to bubble out. If you don't, you'll be left with air pocket voids when it sets. Obviously this would be bad near the top edge that you're going to grind.

matt/tx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »
if you stack the ledge two cinder blocks high you can put a line of cinder blocks next to it and fill it with concrete and make a sick bank ledge
seems complicated so try and get better instructions than mine i just think it would be tight

public transit

• Rep: -14
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 01:58:08 AM »
make one at ghetto spot

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 08:10:44 AM »

That's why you see sprinklers set up on new concrete... often new parks (especially if the weather's warm when they pour) will be kept wet for awhile before you can skate them.

Time is also a factor in curing; people don't park cars on a new driveway for a few days... ideally you wouldn't skate your new ledge for a few weeks. Concrete actually cures for a long time before it's done.

Also, do you use an edging trowel? You don't want a sharp edge, since concrete is brittle when it's thin. If you slightly round the edge with an edging trowel, that will help with chipping/crumbling. I'm not talking skatepark coping-round, just making sure it isn't sharp.

One more thing: I'm assuming you're mixing your own concrete and not ordering it from a ready-mix company. If so, you probably aren't vibrating the mix. Next best thing is to tap the forms all around with a hammer to get all the air to bubble out. If you don't, you'll be left with air pocket voids when it sets. Obviously this would be bad near the top edge that you're going to grind

damn, you studying design engineering or something??

mixing your own concrete is best, too much concrete and too little sand makes it too brittle....  i never actually made a ledge out of concrete but i did a project in school building concrete structures so i have some idea how to work with concrete....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dodgersgirl

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 08:16:20 AM »
Im making a diy spot and i need help as to making the ledge last longer as my past ledge making ventures resulted in chunks coming off the corner of ledge. Any help?

Let us know what you end up using and how it works out...maybe a pic? Then you'd be making slap educational and shit.

Art_G

• Rep: 3
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 11:39:12 PM »
Expand Quote

One more thing: I'm assuming you're mixing your own concrete and not ordering it from a ready-mix company. If so, you probably aren't vibrating the mix. Next best thing is to tap the forms all around with a hammer to get all the air to bubble out. If you don't, you'll be left with air pocket voids when it sets. Obviously this would be bad near the top edge that you're going to grind
[close]

damn, you studying design engineering or something??

mixing your own concrete is best, too much concrete and too little sand makes it too brittle....  i never actually made a ledge out of concrete but i did a project in school building concrete structures so i have some idea how to work with concrete....

Nah, I'm an excavating contractor, and concrete work kinda falls under that umbrella.

matt/tx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 06:20:55 PM »
you could also make a row of cinderblocks and get a nice and waxed parking clock and make a pretty cool flat bar