Author Topic: Post the shoes you're wearing.  (Read 4525499 times)

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
Re: Post the shoes you're wearing.
« Reply #31830 on: December 05, 2020, 02:26:38 AM »
Some of the materials on the mids and “phat” lows can be cardboard or particle board like on the toebox. Crease and just turn into a hard edge when worn. Just something to look out for. But I need another pair that fits me (my foot grew a half size in the past year) but the flick was incredible from what I remember.

Definitely, the right shoe on this pair has some significant creasing from pushing already as the leather is a bit stiffer than what you'd find on premium pairs or highs. Flick is wonderful though, and after a few mild sessions they are holding up pretty well.

^^ Agreed. Materials on Jordan mids and lows are hit or miss. Gotta go for the premium looking colorways and you’ll be alright. Retro highs are the best for skating imo but they are harder to get but eBay definitely has some used deals

I'd love to skate some retro highs with that buttery tumbled leather... The Pine Green highs come to mind
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #31831 on: December 05, 2020, 04:29:21 AM »
Set up a new Zero I had (will post in Set up Thread later) but I'm toying with pairing one of these with it. Just not sure which. Don't know if I should revisit one already skated or try a new one (Joslin 2 and Americana )
Only the Reynolds G6 and Evants had a proper sessions. Everything else is just casually worn.
Also, yes I love SoleTech shoes and I think they make some of the best shoes currently! Fight me   :D

how are the evants?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #31832 on: December 05, 2020, 11:34:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Some of the materials on the mids and “phat” lows can be cardboard or particle board like on the toebox. Crease and just turn into a hard edge when worn. Just something to look out for. But I need another pair that fits me (my foot grew a half size in the past year) but the flick was incredible from what I remember.
[close]

Definitely, the right shoe on this pair has some significant creasing from pushing already as the leather is a bit stiffer than what you'd find on premium pairs or highs. Flick is wonderful though, and after a few mild sessions they are holding up pretty well.

Expand Quote
^^ Agreed. Materials on Jordan mids and lows are hit or miss. Gotta go for the premium looking colorways and you’ll be alright. Retro highs are the best for skating imo but they are harder to get but eBay definitely has some used deals
[close]

I'd love to skate some retro highs with that buttery tumbled leather... The Pine Green highs come to mind

Pine green needs another run. Definitely a favorite. While we’re on the subject of skating Jordan’s I’ve always thought Jordan 4s looked made for skating but have never committed to actually trying

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31833 on: December 06, 2020, 03:06:34 AM »
Expand Quote
After the pair of Jordan 1 lows I skated, I needed to see what the mids were like, and I like them even more. If you're like me and enjoy skating in leather cupsoles, then I seriously recommend. I think I'm gonna be a Jordan 1 guy for a while.

Thing is too the mids can be found consignment and resale for very reasonable prices, especially if you're ok with slightly used. These cost me $45 on depop.

[close]

Contrary to your username, I am not tripping because I totally agree! AJ1s are dope and that all black leather looks so clean to skate in! I don't have enough shoes, don't tempt me haha
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #31834 on: December 06, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Set up a new Zero I had (will post in Set up Thread later) but I'm toying with pairing one of these with it. Just not sure which. Don't know if I should revisit one already skated or try a new one (Joslin 2 and Americana )
Only the Reynolds G6 and Evants had a proper sessions. Everything else is just casually worn.
Also, yes I love SoleTech shoes and I think they make some of the best shoes currently! Fight me   :D

[close]
how are the evants?
Haven't fully broken them in but they're super comfortable to cruise and chill in. The skating I did in them was light so I dont have a full opinion. The upper is fairly padded feeling and the sole is thicker than my usual shoes (marana, Joslin, Accel Slim plus, etc.) in terms of board feel. The sole still needs to be broken in to be as flexible as I like, but the flick and grip felt pretty good so far. With more time, I see them becoming real nice. They need time to be ideal, in my opinion.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #31835 on: December 06, 2020, 02:07:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
how are the evants?
[close]
Haven't fully broken them in but they're super comfortable to cruise and chill in. The skating I did in them was light so I dont have a full opinion. The upper is fairly padded feeling and the sole is thicker than my usual shoes (marana, Joslin, Accel Slim plus, etc.) in terms of board feel. The sole still needs to be broken in to be as flexible as I like, but the flick and grip felt pretty good so far. With more time, I see them becoming real nice. They need time to be ideal, in my opinion.
How big are the Joslin 2?are they bigger than those reynolds or dunks?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #31836 on: December 06, 2020, 02:19:55 PM »

Got these Mike Carroll reissues, super comfy.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31837 on: December 06, 2020, 07:35:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[IMAGE]

[close]
how are the evants?
[close]
[close]
How big are the Joslin 2?are they bigger than those reynolds or dunks?
They are are bigger than Reynolds in tongue padding and collar padding. Reynolds G6 is closer to an Emerica version of a Dunk with a more ergonomic fit. Reynolds G6 feels like it's more contoured to your foot, where the Joslin 2 is like a protective potato over your foot (in a good way) but they still shape to your foot.
The collar and tongue padding on the Joslin 2 is pretty similar to the amount in dunks and isn't hard either. I think it's slightly bigger than the dunks (more sole and higher collar around ankle) The fit and sole feels softer/more forgiving and more cushioned than dunks since that sole is pretty hard. Joslin 2 is a good (maybe great) dunk alternative. Flick is good in them too!
Sorry for rambling, I hope it helps!
Super Champion Fun Zone

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #31838 on: December 06, 2020, 07:50:02 PM »

Nice! How's the sizing? been eyeing these for a while and they look good on foot.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #31839 on: December 06, 2020, 08:35:47 PM »
They are are bigger than Reynolds in tongue padding and collar padding. Reynolds G6 is closer to an Emerica version of a Dunk with a more ergonomic fit. Reynolds G6 feels like it's more contoured to your foot, where the Joslin 2 is like a protective potato over your foot (in a good way) but they still shape to your foot.
The collar and tongue padding on the Joslin 2 is pretty similar to the amount in dunks and isn't hard either. I think it's slightly bigger than the dunks (more sole and higher collar around ankle) The fit and sole feels softer/more forgiving and more cushioned than dunks since that sole is pretty hard. Joslin 2 is a good (maybe great) dunk alternative. Flick is good in them too!

yo darkpools, sry if this has been answered by you already, but can you take off the strap from the joslin2s? haven't found info on that or pics without the strap, but it sure looks like it's removable? not a dealbreaker, just interested to know. these go on sale all the time and not obsessing over this would help me pull the trigger at the right moment. they really seem like a pretty good dunk replacement and apart from the strap i really like how they look, mini logo and all.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31840 on: December 06, 2020, 11:02:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yo darkpools, sry if this has been answered by you already, but can you take off the strap from the joslin2s? haven't found info on that or pics without the strap, but it sure looks like it's removable? not a dealbreaker, just interested to know. these go on sale all the time and not obsessing over this would help me pull the trigger at the right moment. they really seem like a pretty good dunk replacement and apart from the strap i really like how they look, mini logo and all.
You can 100% remove the straps AND the lace holes go up to the top (where the strap is).  Yu can get it just as secure as the strap but without the strap by lace tightening. HOWEVER, the laces included are only 5 holes worth of length. Strap and stock laces to the 5th (maybe 6th hole) OR no strap and awap to longer laces to get it the ideal snugness. It has tongue centering straps, too! Will take a photo in a bit to show ya and edit this comment.

If you have skated the Marana or Joslin 1 before and liked them, these will be similar but better I feel!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
« Reply #31841 on: December 06, 2020, 11:04:08 PM »

seriously the best shoe

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #31842 on: December 06, 2020, 11:08:48 PM »
You can 100% remove the straps AND the lace holes go up to the top (where the strap is).  Yu can get it just as secure as the strap but without the strap by lace tightening. HOWEVER, the laces included are only 5 holes worth of length. Strap and stock laces to the 5th (maybe 6th hole) OR no strap and awap to longer laces to get it the ideal snugness. It has tongue centering straps, too! Will take a photo in a bit to show ya and edit this comment.

If you have skated the Marana or Joslin 1 before and liked them, these will be similar but better I feel!

yo thanks dawg, much appreciated! that was very helpful. i got a ton of laces laying around, so no biggie on the short stock ones. been thinking about getting the forest green ones, that colorway is so dope.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31843 on: December 06, 2020, 11:35:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yo thanks dawg, much appreciated! that was very helpful. i got a ton of laces laying around, so no biggie on the short stock ones. been thinking about getting the forest green ones, that colorway is so dope.
No problem!! Etnies Michelin cupsoles are my go to so happy to answer for you and anyone else reading that is interested.

Here's a dunk (puffy one) comparison:

On this second photo, you can see that you can lace through the strap holder or not (similar to the quad lace holder on dunks)

Pardon the lack of socks, this was impromptu! Ha!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #31844 on: December 06, 2020, 11:46:23 PM »
haha, no worries man, nice shinner collection. yeah that exact one i was talking about. tbh i think they even look better from the top than the dunks. nicer profile, cleaner panel lines, generally the shoe looks really classy or classic in a slightly boring, but good way, without the strap that is. it's still alright with a strap, not a hater, but it's not my thing. makes it too much like some 2005 c1rcas, but it's rad it comes with one. i used to rock the loose strap on some shoes back then, wouldn't do it now, i'd rather try to cut the holding panel or the strap off as clean as possible.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #31845 on: December 07, 2020, 12:58:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
No problem!! Etnies Michelin cupsoles are my go to so happy to answer for you and anyone else reading that is interested.

Here's a dunk (puffy one) comparison:

On this second photo, you can see that you can lace through the strap holder or not (similar to the quad lace holder on dunks)

Pardon the lack of socks, this was impromptu! Ha!

Thank you very much, I think those Joslins 2 could be a really interesting alternative to dunks.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel that Etnies' shoe designs are getting way more interesting than Emerica.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #31846 on: December 07, 2020, 04:54:05 AM »
Note, that’s an older Sb dunk as the tongue is a lot more padded now so the shape is a bit different.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31847 on: December 07, 2020, 07:51:19 AM »

seriously the best shoe

doesnt even require the "seriously"
hardly art, hardly starving

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #31848 on: December 07, 2020, 08:01:07 AM »
Expand Quote

seriously the best shoe
[close]

doesnt even require the "seriously"
Favorite shoe to skate in of all time. Currently skating a pair. Does anyone else get the ollie tongue syndrome?

Happens to every pair I’ve ever had. Doesn’t effect how the shoe skates at all so I don’t really care too much but I won’t lie in saying that it definitely makes the shoe look a lot less appealing hah.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #31849 on: December 07, 2020, 08:39:27 AM »
Swore off Halfcabs because of how fast I blow through the sole, but you all are tempting me here.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #31850 on: December 07, 2020, 10:12:00 AM »
i'd love to get regular half cabs again someday, but they seem not to be available where i live. only pros. and those fit my foot super weird.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #31851 on: December 07, 2020, 10:15:15 AM »
Are we back to brown cords and half cabs?

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31852 on: December 07, 2020, 10:20:31 AM »
i'd love to get regular half cabs again someday, but they seem not to be available where i live. only pros. and those fit my foot super weird.
They don’t sell OG half cabs anywhere here either. I just order mine online from Vans.com or skatewarehouse. They seem to be a pretty hard shoe to find in the wild outside of ordering online.
They’re pretty much my favorite shoe to skate in of all time besides OG Old Skools

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #31853 on: December 07, 2020, 10:29:01 AM »
So I'm a big fan of the Pro Classic Vans, but this talk of the OG Half-Cabs being better than the Half-Cab Pros seems to be an almost universal take. Why is that?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #31854 on: December 07, 2020, 10:43:05 AM »
for me the pros just fit weird. they are comfy, but kind of too loose in my true size, than half a size smaller i barely fit in. i could wear those as chillers, but not for skating. regulars hit the sweet spot. i think the pros run a bit bigger in general. classics also have a somewhat nicer silhouette imo. pros sometimes look a bit lanky on some feet. like they need to be rambo laced. or they appear flatter from the side if that makes sense.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #31855 on: December 07, 2020, 10:47:03 AM »
Are we back to brown cords and half cabs?
I never really left.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31856 on: December 07, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
So I'm a big fan of the Pro Classic Vans, but this talk of the OG Half-Cabs being better than the Half-Cab Pros seems to be an almost universal take. Why is that?
If you’re used to the pros you might not like the OGs. They’re a lot flimsier and malleable feeling than the pros and for how thick they look they’re actually pretty thin. When they’re really worn in its almost like you’re skating a thick pair of socks. I like it, makes you feel closer to your board if that makes sense, but it definitely ain’t for everyone.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #31857 on: December 07, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you’re used to the pros you might not like the OGs. They’re a lot flimsier and malleable feeling than the pros and for how thick they look they’re actually pretty thin. When they’re really worn in its almost like you’re skating a thick pair of socks. I like it, makes you feel closer to your board if that makes sense, but it definitely ain’t for everyone.

Okay that's fair reasoning. Classic Vans are a little too thin for my taste so the Pro Classics are like the perfect shoe. Still thin and vulc, but just a smidge more support. I was just wondering because I hear it specifically about Half-Cabs so I thought maybe there was like a fatal design error or something with the Pro counterpart.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31858 on: December 07, 2020, 11:22:51 AM »

@pizzafliptofakie

read all about it

http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=96943.msg2698313#msg2698313

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A42ZYNno5oQ

hardly art, hardly starving

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #31859 on: December 07, 2020, 11:40:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Nice! How's the sizing? been eyeing these for a while and they look good on foot.

They run true to size, and once broken in they are among my favorite shoes I’ve worn. I haven’t skated them and I probably won’t for a while, but I’m excited to.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.