Author Topic: Post the shoes you're wearing.  (Read 4575851 times)

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Post the shoes you're wearing.
« Reply #30270 on: February 04, 2020, 03:02:53 PM »
Shell toes have always been one of my least favorite shoes, like ever, but those look so nice.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #30271 on: February 04, 2020, 06:59:15 PM »
Those pro models 😱
I had a pair of the standard ones in all black and they were such a great shoe, especially in the colder months...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 111
« Reply #30272 on: February 04, 2020, 08:27:36 PM »
Expand Quote

talked about these in the things you’re considering buying thread. liking these much more than blazers, more of a slim feel over them. think i’m gonna grab a white pair next.
[close]

I don't need new shoes but these are so sick. I saw some shops posting them and immediately was interested. I've skated lots of pairs of shell toes in the past.
info on jeans?
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #30273 on: February 04, 2020, 08:41:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

talked about these in the things you’re considering buying thread. liking these much more than blazers, more of a slim feel over them. think i’m gonna grab a white pair next.
[close]

I don't need new shoes but these are so sick. I saw some shops posting them and immediately was interested. I've skated lots of pairs of shell toes in the past.
[close]
info on jeans?
raw denim from a taobao page called sauce zhan. they were about $40+ shipping, more info here.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30274 on: February 05, 2020, 02:51:54 AM »
Expand Quote

Third pair in a row of GT Blazer lows. They skate good and look normal. I like them.
[close]

just laced up the same pair. couldn't pass em up for $50 shipped. Skate great, good board feel, favorite shoe at the moment.
Only Nike shoes that I would buy.
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #30275 on: February 05, 2020, 12:11:51 PM »
I have been skating a pair of Jordan 1’s that I got in China recently. I traded a carton of Reds for them ($25) and just threw in my FP Game changers. They seem like they are quality, but I know they are Fake as fuck. I’m gonna post a picture soon.

FrostedPancake

• Rep: 0
« Reply #30276 on: February 05, 2020, 01:15:42 PM »
I have been skating a pair of Jordan 1’s that I got in China recently. I traded a carton of Reds for them ($25) and just threw in my FP Game changers. They seem like they are quality, but I know they are Fake as fuck. I’m gonna post a picture soon.

Please don't

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30277 on: February 06, 2020, 03:40:58 AM »

Maybe I'm getting lower back pain from these ones...
Already happened while skating State Keys, also vulcs, could this be screwing my back?
After Keys I skated again ave pro and no problem whatsoever. Yesterday I skated the Busenitz vulc 2 and I started to feel pain, currently trying then again today to see how it works but I'm afraid that probably is just that I can't handle vulcs anymore  :-\
Anybody experiencing the same?
Definitely not a shalom thing.
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 888
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #30278 on: February 06, 2020, 04:30:22 AM »

Already happened while skating State Keys, also vulcs, could this be screwing my back?
After Keys I skated again ave pro and no problem whatsoever. Yesterday I skated the Busenitz vulc 2 and I started to feel pain, currently trying then again today to see how it works but I'm afraid that probably is just that I can't handle vulcs anymore  :-\
i have scoliosis, some other curvature, and a slipped disc in my spine. wouldnt do much more than walking in vulcs. with the amount of stress skating can put on my body, cupsoles are the least i can do.

after these adidas lucas premieres are done, im quitting thin soles. even missing a trick on flat sends a shock up my body/back/knees if i land on my feet wrong. thats just too much to worry about while trying to save a fall. as a tall and heavy skater, those are just areas of my body i cant overlook if i plan to skate longterm. looking to buy some thicker cupsoles and insoles to dampen the shock for my next pair of shoes. boardfeel comes when they break in so its not much of a sacrifice to me.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

potpie

« Reply #30279 on: February 06, 2020, 05:38:25 AM »

Just making another post about custom orthotics being a life saver for everything foot/leg/back related. If you haven’t looked into them check’em out, they’ll do wonders for your posture.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #30280 on: February 06, 2020, 06:11:17 AM »
Barkleys on a rainy day.

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #30281 on: February 06, 2020, 09:39:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Just making another post about custom orthotics being a life saver for everything foot/leg/back related. If you haven’t looked into them check’em out, they’ll do wonders for your posture.
Today I'll take a look into what I can find in here. I live in a small town so options are not that many.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #30282 on: February 06, 2020, 09:47:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
any brands you recommend? Link me. Aside from FP, aren’t custom orthotics are something like $300+ ?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #30283 on: February 06, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
It's been about a decade since I had them and I don't remember removable stock insoles being a thing when I had them (or maybe I was just running much cheaper shoes back then) but I have a couple of questions. Do you remove the stock insoles and put in the orthotics or put them over or under the stock insoles? Any adjustments need to be made to the size of shoe you buy?
unreadable trap logo

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #30284 on: February 06, 2020, 11:23:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
It's been about a decade since I had them and I don't remember removable stock insoles being a thing when I had them (or maybe I was just running much cheaper shoes back then) but I have a couple of questions. Do you remove the stock insoles and put in the orthotics or put them over or under the stock insoles? Any adjustments need to be made to the size of shoe you buy?

I can only speak for myself, I have the footprint orthotics, I use them for skating and for my everyday shoes. Yes you remove the stock insoles and put the FPs in. For me the same shoe size is perfect.
IG: @flowterspace

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #30285 on: February 06, 2020, 11:31:49 AM »
For the people asking about custom orthotics:

- If you have health insurance, you can probably get them partially or completely covered if you get them prescribed by a doctor. If you go to a doctor with foot/knee/back pain and ask about orthotics, they will likely prescribe them.

- Mine were about $250 CAD (about $185 USD), but my insurance covered some of the cost. I don't know the cost in the US, but I imagine it's comparable. They're custom made, so you can pick options or features that will make the price go up or down; but yeah, they're not cheap. I didn't love the price, but they were a medical need for me, and have made a big difference. Call a few places and get price quotes - the price can vary a lot from one place to the next.

- I don't know where everyone lives, but most places will have somewhere you can get them because most places have grandmas that need orthopedic shoes. I was fitted for mine by a chiropractor, but there will probably be places in your area that specialize in them, or your doctor may be able to do it. Google '(your city) custom orthotics,' and you'll probably have a few options. Check reviews if they're available.

- There's not really a brand to recommend - they'll take a mold of your foot in the office and send it off to a lab to have the orthotics made, so the brand will vary based on what is local or close to you, but they'll be comparable products regardless.

- Those FP insoles are not custom orthotics. In my opinion, they're a lot less similar than the FP marketing suggests. My feet are in pretty bad shape (plantar fasciitis and achilles tendinitis), so the FP insoles didn't work for me. Not to say they're a bad product, but they are a different one. Custom orthotics are much more supportive, but they are also more rigid, so they'll take some getting used to, especially for skating.

- The orthotics do take up some space in your shoes, so it will effect how they fit. Your heel will sit a little higher, so mid and high tops are good, but not an absolute necessity. As far as the insole underneath, it depends on the shoe. My orthotics fit well over the stock insole on Dunks, but I removed the stock insole on Adidas Tyshawns. If the insole is significantly higher in the heel than the forefoot (like Vans Ultracush), it's not going to work under an orthotic. In those cases, I'll take out the stock insole and put a thinner/flatter one in its place (e.g. in Vans Kyle Walkers, I replaced the Ultracush with the Zoom insole from an old pair of Converses, and it worked). I still buy the same size shoes, but some shoes just won't work for me.

- Orthotics or not, you should be mindful of your shoe choice as well. If you spend all that money on orthotics and then stick them in paper thin vulcs, they're only going to do so much for you. I look for decently supportive cupsoles with some level of midsole cushioning, in addition to the orthotics.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #30286 on: February 06, 2020, 11:32:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

I can only speak for myself, I have the footprint orthotics, I use them for skating and for my everyday shoes. Yes you remove the stock insoles and put the FPs in. For me the same shoe size is perfect.
I have the FP orthotics too and use them the same way. Lately, I've been thinking I should probably wrangle a pair of real deal orthotics since I had them before and they helped me out. FP stuff is good but not exactly the same thing unfortunately.
unreadable trap logo

potpie

« Reply #30287 on: February 06, 2020, 01:33:13 PM »
For the people asking about custom orthotics:

- If you have health insurance, you can probably get them partially or completely covered if you get them prescribed by a doctor. If you go to a doctor with foot/knee/back pain and ask about orthotics, they will likely prescribe them.

- Mine were about $250 CAD (about $185 USD), but my insurance covered some of the cost. I don't know the cost in the US, but I imagine it's comparable. They're custom made, so you can pick options or features that will make the price go up or down; but yeah, they're not cheap. I didn't love the price, but they were a medical need for me, and have made a big difference. Call a few places and get price quotes - the price can vary a lot from one place to the next.

- I don't know where everyone lives, but most places will have somewhere you can get them because most places have grandmas that need orthopedic shoes. I was fitted for mine by a chiropractor, but there will probably be places in your area that specialize in them, or your doctor may be able to do it. Google '(your city) custom orthotics,' and you'll probably have a few options. Check reviews if they're available.

- There's not really a brand to recommend - they'll take a mold of your foot in the office and send it off to a lab to have the orthotics made, so the brand will vary based on what is local or close to you, but they'll be comparable products regardless.

- Those FP insoles are not custom orthotics. In my opinion, they're a lot less similar than the FP marketing suggests. My feet are in pretty bad shape (plantar fasciitis and achilles tendinitis), so the FP insoles didn't work for me. Not to say they're a bad product, but they are a different one. Custom orthotics are much more supportive, but they are also more rigid, so they'll take some getting used to, especially for skating.

- The orthotics do take up some space in your shoes, so it will effect how they fit. Your heel will sit a little higher, so mid and high tops are good, but not an absolute necessity. As far as the insole underneath, it depends on the shoe. My orthotics fit well over the stock insole on Dunks, but I removed the stock insole on Adidas Tyshawns. If the insole is significantly higher in the heel than the forefoot (like Vans Ultracush), it's not going to work under an orthotic. In those cases, I'll take out the stock insole and put a thinner/flatter one in its place (e.g. in Vans Kyle Walkers, I replaced the Ultracush with the Zoom insole from an old pair of Converses, and it worked). I still buy the same size shoes, but some shoes just won't work for me.

Great post, you completely covered it for me .   :D

Two points to add onto the bolded: the price seems like a huge factor for anyone curious and cross shopping with FP insoles, but the custom orthotics are heavy duty plastic/foam that last for years.

Depending on the progression of your feet you might choose to get readjusted between 3 and 5 years, but again these are to be used every day. I swap these over between my shoes and boots and end up wearing them 5-6 days a week. I’ve noticed that the wear on my shoes was typically on the outside heel, but that has since changed and become a lot more even. My gait has improved tremendously and I feel much more stable; it’s a hunch but I’m thinking these lower your risk of rolling ankles.

Second note in regards to doctors: In most cases it would probably help to see a corresponding doctor that best suits your problem. For my foot problems I saw a podiatrist, who then told me I had a dire need for orthotics due to my tendency to over-pronate and my falling arches. I’m guessing if you have back problems the chiropractor would be a good move indeed.

Side note, if you have hurt your feet or ankles and want to take care of yourself, making an appt at the podiatrist is a must. Life without dealing with constant pain is so much better.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #30288 on: February 07, 2020, 06:50:16 AM »

Pulled out my 09' retro AJ1s for the fuck of it. They were just chillers. Been through hell and back. The soles are worn super smooth, so I don't wear them much anymore, but I am today. Way too damn slippery.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30289 on: February 07, 2020, 06:52:35 AM »

Pulled out my 09' retro AJ1s for the fuck of it. They were just chillers. Been through hell and back. The soles are worn super smooth, so I don't wear them much anymore, but I am today. Way too damn slippery.
crazy beat! Super sick tho.. could sole swap w a newer pair but yeah that might just look all weird still.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #30290 on: February 07, 2020, 06:58:13 AM »
Damn AJ1's look soooo good beat up. Gnar gnar.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #30291 on: February 07, 2020, 09:01:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

crazy beat! Super sick tho.. could sole swap w a newer pair but yeah that might just look all weird still.

Damn AJ1's look soooo good beat up. Gnar gnar.

Thanks guys haha, maybe i'll pull my Vs out tomorrow

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #30292 on: February 07, 2020, 09:47:27 AM »
Posted this in another thread but didn't get many responses. Have been wearing Straye for the past year and honestly they're really killing my feet. I know I deserve it for going with them but anyway was looking to get ES Accel ogs orpossibly the slims. Planning on going down to my local this weekend and trying them both but wanted to know what you thought are better?
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #30293 on: February 07, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »

Love them.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #30294 on: February 07, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »
Posted this in another thread but didn't get many responses. Have been wearing Straye for the past year and honestly they're really killing my feet. I know I deserve it for going with them but anyway was looking to get ES Accel ogs orpossibly the slims. Planning on going down to my local this weekend and trying them both but wanted to know what you thought are better?

i wore ogs all my childhood and teens, had a pair of slims a few years ago when the relaunch happened. they were okay. tbh i'd try out the ogs nowadays if i could over the slims. the insole, although allegedly ortholite, wasn't too comfy and the outsole felt very vulcy and not as sturdy as something like a dunk outsole or possibly the ogs. this might be a plus for some looking for vulc like boardfeel, but i expected a more pillowy feel tbh.

what really bummed me out that the shoe got a kickflip hole after about two sessions at the front panel seams. and even though there was a rubber layer under the front panel, that front panel would just be sewn together with the main panel and not be sewn over it, if that makes sense. basically a fake double layer that is just stitched together. big issue at this time for me with a lot of sole tech stuff and one of the reasons i kind of stopped trusting them. i had this happen to two pairs of emericas as well, forcing me to shoe goo the shit out of fairly new pairs of shoes in order to keep skating them.

go try em out, they might have updgraded the build quality since then. what i do know is that the new og accel is not the same like the actual og accel, since the new one seems almost deliberately more bulky, whereas the original was thickly padded, but an almost slim silhouette for the time. certainly much less bulky than koston 1s.

sole tech insoles were so fucking good back in the day. i used to save them and put them into all my shoes, like i do with lunarlon nowadays.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #30295 on: February 07, 2020, 12:22:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i wore ogs all my childhood and teens, had a pair of slims a few years ago when the relaunch happened. they were okay. tbh i'd try out the ogs nowadays if i could over the slims. the insole, although allegedly ortholite, wasn't too comfy and the outsole felt very vulcy and not as sturdy as something like a dunk outsole or possibly the ogs. this might be a plus for some looking for vulc like boardfeel, but i expected a more pillowy feel tbh.

what really bummed me out that the shoe got a kickflip hole after about two sessions at the front panel seams. and even though there was a rubber layer under the front panel, that front panel would just be sewn together with the main panel and not be sewn over it, if that makes sense. basically a fake double layer that is just stitched together. big issue at this time for me with a lot of sole tech stuff and one of the reasons i kind of stopped trusting them. i had this happen to two pairs of emericas as well, forcing me to shoe goo the shit out of fairly new pairs of shoes in order to keep skating them.

go try em out, they might have updgraded the build quality since then. what i do know is that the new og accel is not the same like the actual og accel, since the new one seems almost deliberately more bulky, whereas the original was thickly padded, but an almost slim silhouette for the time. certainly much less bulky than koston 1s.

sole tech insoles were so fucking good back in the day. i used to save them and put them into all my shoes, like i do with lunarlon nowadays.
Yeah man I was so bummed to get those relaunched ones with the crappiest insole ever, not the STI I remember. Been rocking my fp insoles on them now, like a night and day.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

potpie

« Reply #30296 on: February 07, 2020, 12:53:09 PM »
Might wanna try the etnies marana. It’s really an underrated cup and outperforms the Accels in terms of durability. Insole is nothing like the great sole tech soles from way back but it’s still a great shoe.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30297 on: February 07, 2020, 01:18:38 PM »
Well the dude on the last page reminded me of these. Remastered ‘16 pair

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
« Reply #30298 on: February 07, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »
I just put fp orthotics in these slb's feel like a completely different shoe now

FrostedPancake

• Rep: 0
« Reply #30299 on: February 07, 2020, 04:20:56 PM »

I thought the swift 1.5 were the best of the lot but haven't tried the accel plus which looked pretty similar