Author Topic: Good idea, bad idea?  (Read 1282 times)

tag_king

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Good idea, bad idea?
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:11:07 AM »
So I am getting really bummed out with sitting around these days. I love living in the city, but I really need to fuck off.. it could have to do with this insane winter we have had, but I am also just restless with being in Canada in general. I need to take off on a trip, but lack the funds/already in debt. The thought that I had, was to get a new credit card. I have been on point with my student card for the last 3-4 years, paying everything off, every month. If I went for a new card with the lowest possible interest rate, and charge all my expenses to it, then just pay it off over the coming years.

I know after a good solid trip I will be prepared to settle down, get serious about making money and what not. If this is totally stupid, I need to know. My friends encourage it, my parents who have spent themselves into trouble discourage, so I seek the help of interneters.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
Re: Good idea, bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:19:19 AM »
Budget for your trip first.

vicky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • brofessional
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »
from personal experience its really hard to get out of debt, and i know that if i went on a trip i wouldnt want to come back and i would fuck around as much as possible. but im also lazy and unmotivated and dont care about anything.

i say do it. thats what payment plans are for. but definately make a plan of some sort so youre not spending like crazy
we could get matching halter tops and do kickturns over the dick at fdr, people wouldn't know what to do. I would be a c cup massacre.

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:26:10 AM »
Yea, I hear you. I have a pretty good situation of having two cousins, one living in Madrid, one living in Amsterdam. I am thinking of splitting the trip into 4s, half week madrid on a couch, half week barcelona, half week Berlin, half week Amsterdam on a couch, in any order, which ever makes more sense. And yea, debt is bullshit, my work situation has been pretty good since graduating, so I think it would be possible to get out with out it taking to to long. But things change.

Comb

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 08:36:05 AM »
Just grow a moustache and take a vacation from yourself...

but really, youre gonna leave now, just when things are gonna get nice and everyone  is pumped to go outside and roll around? You should have left in February.

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:41:41 AM »
Yea this is true, I just need to get out in general. Never traveled outside of north america and would rather get it out of my system young rather then like on my honeymoon or something. After the weather stops acting stupid I may be able to put it off for a bit.

LloydChristmas

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:42:14 AM »
For the sake of your mental health, do it.  Like MS said, budget first.  If you absolutley have to drive because of where you live, get some friends on board to throw down for gas, and take the most gas-efficient car you guys have.  Bring as much food as possible to eliminate that cost.  If you can take a train, look for a round trip deal.  This stuff probably seems obvious, but my friends and I have made the mistake of not doing these things in the past (because we're morons).  You're only young once, go nuts.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:47:08 AM »
I know the feeling. Even with very little responsibility, I still start to stress here over winter and the general staleness that comes with being in one place for too long. I plan to take off pretty soon, but part of it is because i dont have much to stay for. I guess you just gotta figure out how much you like your current job and how easy itll be to find an equally good job when you return home. As Comb mentioned ,if you can keep your sanity until spring comes full blown, you might decide that its a big enough change for you not to be bummed on your situation here.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 09:32:42 AM »
Go to Greece, its the nicest place on earth.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »
Sell all your possesions, go out to the side of the highway/the seaside, stick out your thumb, don't tell anyone you left.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:57:20 AM »
After the weather stops acting stupid I may be able to put it off for a bit.

This is probably the best plan.  With weather opening up, your options greatly increase as far as day to day things to do. If memory serves me correctly you are in Toronto, there are a bunch of cheap cabins you can rent on lake ontario south of the city (heading towards Buffalo, etc) which might be enough to keep you busy for the summer.

Save your money, plan a solid trip, and while everybody else is trudging through salty slushy streets next winter you can be in Euroland.

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 10:17:14 AM »
Expand Quote
After the weather stops acting stupid I may be able to put it off for a bit.
[close]

This is probably the best plan.  With weather opening up, your options greatly increase as far as day to day things to do. If memory serves me correctly you are in Toronto, there are a bunch of cheap cabins you can rent on lake ontario south of the city (heading towards Buffalo, etc) which might be enough to keep you busy for the summer.

Save your money, plan a solid trip, and while everybody else is trudging through salty slushy streets next winter you can be in Euroland.

I just went for a walk on my lunch and it was beautiful, making me feel a little better about my situation. I think it was everything piled up, outside of the weather as of late..but planning for next winter sounds like a smart idea. A couple of my good friends have a cottage heading towards buffalo, we only made use of it once last year but after how great it was at the end of last summer, I think we will try and make better use of it. All good dudes here, thanks for the advice everybody.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 11:12:30 AM »
i too have had "ants in my pants" due to the long and intense winteryness of this winter.  ive been itching to travel for weeks, and its been one of my main conversation points lately.   but man, dont go into debt for travel, just be strict with yourself.  like, open up a bank account that isnt connected to your bank cards, online banking, etc.  dump in like $300 to start and then arrange to have $50 or 100 or whatever transferred over from your main account every month.  soon enough youll have airfare to go to europe, bc, kentucky, or wherever.  try to visit somewhere that you have friends or family, because that way you cut out the biggest expense (hotels, etc).

Comb

• Rep: 7
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »
toombs is right on with this one...

I took all the money from my 'savings' account at TD and put it into a savings account at ING and set it so some money gets taken automattically every week. Heres the best part, they dont have fees! So instead of losing 8 bucks a month to bank fees they give me 8 bucks in interest!
If you get on that program now you could afford to take off for a good chunk of next winter if you stick to it.