Author Topic: Research Papers  (Read 1884 times)

able

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Research Papers
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »
     I have to turn in a Research Paper soon. I started late researching my subject and I'm so overwhelmed, I don't even know where to start. It's due VERY soon and between working and other classes I don't see me finishing it on time.
     What I'd like to know is, if there any good websites to get a fake reseach paper.  I don't plan on totally plagerizing but I'd like to use one as a blueprint. My subject is on Louis Armstrong which sounds pretty cool but like I said... I just don't have time.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
ableSkateMag.com

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Research Papers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:31:46 AM »
sorry cant help you with any fake research paper websites but i can offer some advice...  i did my first paper last year and it was pretty tough....  how much time do you have before submission??

basically ide recommend doing a little bit of writing everyday, the intro can be the toughest....  but just force yourself to write a couple of paragraphs everyday, and after writing, read it back and make amendments....

for a research paper you need academic papers as references, so no wikipedia...  although using wiki is useful in helping you get some background info, dont ever cite it as a reference....

1 week to do a research paper is fucking fucking tough, 3 weeks would be just enough...  its just one of those things you gotta buckle down get to it because your teacher is going to be able to see through your writing if its bullshit.....

last point, remember this is a research paper, not a descriptive or argumentative essay, so keep it research orientated....  nothing worse than making a research paper too descriptive...

hope this helps....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 05:52:41 AM »
I can't help with this one, but know that any academic paper you find is also available to your instructor... depending on what tools your instructor uses, if you copy just one sentence (as your own, not as a quote), they can pop you on plagiarism. You're going to have to rewrite anything you find completely.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:17:54 AM »
I can't help with this one, but know that any academic paper you find is also available to your instructor... depending on what tools your instructor uses, if you copy just one sentence (as your own, not as a quote), they can pop you on plagiarism. You're going to have to rewrite anything you find completely.

exactly, university lecturers/teachers use a program that allow them to see how much of the document was plagiarised by %....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

qwertypoiuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »
They use that kind of software at my school and catch kids pretty easily. You're probably better off doing a sloppy job you can at least call your own.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:51:47 AM »
ppphh...  its usually easy enough to catch kids even if they didnt buy / find their paper online.

man, just make a good outline, pull an all nighter writing it up, and then have a friend give it a critical proofreading before handing it in.   fuck, ill proofread it for you if itll discourage you from cheating.  seriously

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:47:12 AM »
usually research papers about individual people are pretty simple.  since it's research oriented, most of it will be just run of the mill, biographical type shit anyway, and that's easy.  the key is just getting blocks of facts and stringing them together with your own language.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 11:44:31 AM »
usually research papers about individual people are pretty simple.  since it's research oriented, most of it will be just run of the mill, biographical type shit anyway, and that's easy.  the key is just getting blocks of facts and stringing them together with your own language.

and i think thats the hard thing about writing about a person rather than an issue...  with a person, the paper might end up too descriptive...  the point of a research paper is to provide an readers with a view not usually taken on about an issue....  so for your paper you might want to go beyond just saying where he was from, what he did blah blah blah....  you got to talk about his impact on music, like talk about how it has changed the way music was written, performed and listen to after his death...  writing about his impact would be good too...

the key aspect of a research paper is your demonstration of critical thinking, so make sure you showcase some of that....  one way you might do so might go something like "people have said that xxxxx was a shit-faced individual, however i would like to counter this by saying that...."...  you got to show that your not just taking random facts from the internet and throwing it into your paper...

and like sebastian toombs said, your outline is important....  although i disagree on the all-nighter part....

lastly remember to keep track of your references....  do your referencing as you write your paper and do leave it to the end of the paper if not your going to be wasting a lot of time tracing your sources and finding the specific lines you used....

anyway send me a copy when you finish, i dont mind helping you proof-read it...  just drop me a PM....

PS:  make sure your thesis statement is rock-solid, its the backbone of your paper.....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:52:16 PM »
thesis

3 to 4 supporting points which each become subjects of paragraphs

outline

flesh out

conclusion

easy stuff and to make life even easier, go into the english lab and have them review thesis, supporting statements, etc...

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:59:24 PM »
Toombs is on point, as usual.  Cheating is a stupid idea, and even if you get a D on the paper that you wrote it'll be better than being kicked out of school for turning in someone else's (or part of someone else's) A paper.

When I was 19 and had just started messing around in community college I cheated on a graded homework assignment, and my teacher pulled me aside the next day and explained that he was letting me stay in school by not reporting it, but would only do so if I promised not to do anything that stupid again. He wasn't my favorite teacher, but I am pretty grateful for what he did.

qwertypoiuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 02:32:32 PM »

When I was 19 and had just started messing around in community college I cheated on a graded homework assignment, and my teacher pulled me aside the next day and explained that he was letting me stay in school by not reporting it, but would only do so if I promised not to do anything that stupid again. He wasn't my favorite teacher, but I am pretty grateful for what he did.

Damn, thats pretty lucky. At my school its an automatic F for the entire course, and possible expulsion depending on what you cheated on.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »
strong thesis statement....  elements of it must be seen in every portion of your paper......
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 06:34:18 PM »
Hey you guyz! Thank you so much for your help/advice! I've got till thursday to finish and I've got two days off so I'm gonna buckle down and do this thing. It's gonna be ugly, but at least if I do it myself I won't get caught plagerizing. I'm literally printing out this thread and highlighting the key bits of advice ya'll have givin me. I'm really new to this college thing and I haven't takin an English class in like ten years so your advice has been GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks again!
ableSkateMag.com

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 10:18:43 PM »
gnar'd, send me a copy if you want someone to proof read it....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

subroku2

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 02:12:08 AM »
Not really sure how hardcore a 'research paper' is...  but there is a 20 hour long jazz documentary which is very Loius Armstrong orientated... for basic facts it may be useful. Think it was HBO (???) Sorry, I'm not American. May be of use.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 07:07:17 AM »
Hey you guyz! Thank you so much for your help/advice! I've got till thursday to finish and I've got two days off so I'm gonna buckle down and do this thing. It's gonna be ugly, but at least if I do it myself I won't get caught plagerizing. I'm literally printing out this thread and highlighting the key bits of advice ya'll have givin me. I'm really new to this college thing and I haven't takin an English class in like ten years so your advice has been GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks again!

Seriously, while your developing your Thesis and supporting subjects, go to the english lab (where the tutors are) and go through a few iterations of:

"how's this..."

and then suck it up and let them tell you why it sucks. Tweak it and repeat until they are happy. You'll likely get

"that's not really a thesis, it's more like a subject of a paragraph"

a few times. Which is cool because you just save that for one of your paragraph subjects.

You'll save a ton of time and once you have your thesis and 3-4 supporting sentences, it's really cake from there and you can gather your research and camp out with some coffee and just crank it out. I used to do that part in coffee shops that way "you might get laid" is still on the table and at least you can people watch when you need a breather. My wife used to do the same thing and I actually met her studying in a coffee shop. Coffee shops really saved my ass on getting home work done, just stay away from the ones that serve beer and wine.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 02:21:52 AM »
what sleazy said on checking with our tutors /  buttering them up is true... prevents you from going off topic (saves times) and shows them your interested in producing a paper that is above dog shit....  so that definately helps your cause....  of course make it seem like your really going there for a second opinion, rather than sucking up to improve your grade....

remember, citation and referencing is FUCKING IMPORTANT!!!  it helps to do your in-text citations as you write so you dont have to keep re-reading your paper over and over again....

lastly:  dont use wiki as a reference...  the info they give is weak and makes you look like a total kook...
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Teacup

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »
I wrote two research papers last semester, one was 8 pages the other 10.

The most basic and first step is to ask yourself this question, and come up with an answer: Why am I writing this paper?

If you're writing about Louis Armstrong, then you're probably just giving a summary of his life/career, so that's simple. If that's what the purpose of the paper is, then stick to that concept. Don't suddenly inject opinions and compare his work to other people's work, if that's not what the paper is about. Of course, you could be doing a critique of his work, but again, stick to the topic. If you're critiquing his professional work, chances are you don't need the first five pages to be about his childhood.

Be RELEVANT. The second step is to come up with some sort of idea about how the paper is going to flow. You want to think of some key ideas/points/facts to include, and come up with a way to transition between them.

Once you have those two things thought out, the research is easy. However, for the love of God, user proper fucking citation. I didn't read anyone else's response to this, but if it doesn't sound like mine they're wrong, because I'm the greatest. (J Sag, 2008).

That was not proper citation.