Author Topic: Things You Are Not Stoked On  (Read 1885008 times)

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
Re: Things You Are Not Stoked On
« Reply #20040 on: September 16, 2018, 08:54:45 AM »
They shot me with it when I dislocated my shoulder and it was gnarly. Everything went slow motion as soon as they started plunging the IV. I had about 30 seconds of consciousness before I blacked out and it was just a struggle trying not to puke. It definitely took the pain away, but that experience wasnt anything I'd want to do for fun.

I know how easy it is to pick up an opioid habit though and I'm honestly happy that I had addicts close to me who made it so I never wanted to mess with that shit. I hate puking and every time I'd see my friends take a handful of pills, they puked their brains out a little while later, then just sat around like zombies. It never looked fun.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1374
« Reply #20041 on: September 16, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
I embody all the worst parts of skateboarding so that's fair

You're too hard on yourself.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #20042 on: September 16, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
They shot me with it when I dislocated my shoulder and it was gnarly. Everything went slow motion as soon as they started plunging the IV. I had about 30 seconds of consciousness before I blacked out and it was just a struggle trying not to puke. It definitely took the pain away, but that experience wasnt anything I'd want to do for fun.

I know how easy it is to pick up an opioid habit though and I'm honestly happy that I had addicts close to me who made it so I never wanted to mess with that shit. I hate puking and every time I'd see my friends take a handful of pills, they puked their brains out a little while later, then just sat around like zombies. It never looked fun.

Oof when my shoulder dislocated I just thought of that scene in lethal weapon when Mel Gibson pops his back in by slamming it agains the wall. It worked out better than I thought it would.

It’s popped out countless times at this point, once even when I sneezed too hard.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #20043 on: September 16, 2018, 10:24:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oof when my shoulder dislocated I just thought of that scene in lethal weapon when Mel Gibson pops his back in by slamming it agains the wall. It worked out better than I thought it would.

It’s popped out countless times at this point, once even when I sneezed too hard.

My shoulders are double jointed and used to come out all the time for no fucking reason. When I was young any time I fell on my side/shoulder, which was all the time, it would pop out. It was a real motherfucker and I got good at putting them back in. Luckily (ha) it happened enough to fill my joints with scar tissue and shit so it doesn't do it anymore and my body screams in pain instead. I can still dislocate them at will though. It's how you get out of a straitjacket.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #20044 on: September 16, 2018, 11:55:59 AM »

Fentanyl for a shoulder dislocation is a great example of why not to listen to a dr. 100% of the time.

Sure it has its place ie cut of leg in a car accident type shit, but for a dislocation???

Even morphine would be overkill in that situation.

Pop it in and and one days worth of tylenol 3 (3-4 doses) is medically sufficient
Gentleman ninja warlock

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #20045 on: September 16, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
They also shot me with Xanax before they gave me the fentynal. I legit asked if I was going to die when they told me that.

You tough shoulder popping back in on your own guys are really making me feel like a sissy now.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20046 on: September 16, 2018, 04:32:38 PM »
They also shot me with Xanax before they gave me the fentynal. I legit asked if I was going to die when they told me that.

You tough shoulder popping back in on your own guys are really making me feel like a sissy now.

Wow, wtf was the xanax for?  That's a gnarly medication for just a popped out shoulder
Gentleman ninja warlock

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #20047 on: September 16, 2018, 07:50:47 PM »
It's pretty common practice to give a dissociative agent with an analgesic. That way, your pain goes away, and you don't have to remember being in pain. It's more common to give midazolam, than alprazolam though. I've never seen that drug in protocols. And it's perfectly legitimate to give fent for a shoulder dislocation in the acute setting. The problem comes when they over prescribe you afterward. Most doctors are moving away from that now though. I always push zofran(anti nausea/emetic drug) before giving fentanyl to a patient though. There are a shitload of factors that go in to what treatment pathway I go down though. Not all medications are for all people. A lot of acute care services are switching over to ketamine, which, in my opinion, is probably the way to go. It doesn't drop blood pressure, it doesn't suppress respiratory effort, and it can be used for pain management, people who are high as fuck on other crazy drugs, or to induce a temporary coma on people who can't control their own airway.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20048 on: September 17, 2018, 05:28:21 AM »
It's pretty common practice to give a dissociative agent with an analgesic. That way, your pain goes away, and you don't have to remember being in pain. It's more common to give midazolam, than alprazolam though. I've never seen that drug in protocols. And it's perfectly legitimate to give fent for a shoulder dislocation in the acute setting. The problem comes when they over prescribe you afterward. Most doctors are moving away from that now though. I always push zofran(anti nausea/emetic drug) before giving fentanyl to a patient though. There are a shitload of factors that go in to what treatment pathway I go down though. Not all medications are for all people. A lot of acute care services are switching over to ketamine, which, in my opinion, is probably the way to go. It doesn't drop blood pressure, it doesn't suppress respiratory effort, and it can be used for pain management, people who are high as fuck on other crazy drugs, or to induce a temporary coma on people who can't control their own airway.

Good post! Makes me appreciate canadian practitioners a little more.

Lol fentanyl for a shoulder dislocation, okay.

Here, again, youde get a dose of codeine which is easily sufficient. And if your freaking out a small dose of ativan.

If your worried about respiratory issues and blood pressure dropping,  ITS BECAUSE FENTANYL IS TOO FUCKIN STRONG for the situation and isnt needed. Its overkill and you put patience at unnecessary risk.

For fuck sakes
Gentleman ninja warlock

shit_for_brains

« Reply #20049 on: September 17, 2018, 07:19:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here, again, youde get a dose of codeine which is easily sufficient. And if your freaking out a small dose of ativan.

If your worried about respiratory issues and blood pressure dropping,  ITS BECAUSE FENTANYL IS TOO FUCKIN STRONG for the situation and isnt needed. Its overkill and you put patience at unnecessary risk.

For fuck sakes

Way to tell a doctor he's wrong because you have the internet and an imagination. You spelled patients wrong for fuck's sake.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20050 on: September 17, 2018, 07:32:46 AM »
I'm not a doctor, I'm a paramedic, but I still expected a hair brained response. I would love for him to tell me all about the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of analgesics and dissociative agents. I'm sure that if I showed a Canadian medic your post we would have a pretty good laugh together.

He probably hangs out at the taxi stand waiting for an ambulance to take him to the store, like shark tits.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:36:03 AM by brycickle »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20051 on: September 17, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »
Sorry for spelling a word wrong.

I'm a licensed practitioner so I'm it's not like I'm talking out of my ass.

Canadian medicine clearly trumps are American counterparts.

Keep running up the tabs for poor people just because you can

Gentleman ninja warlock

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #20052 on: September 17, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
My only homie from back in the day who still skates also has an opioid problem.

I haven't heard from him in like four days and am nearly certain he's relapsed again.

Part of me is also unstoked that I'm relieved by this, as his behaviour was becoming problematic as of late.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #20053 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

For fuck sakes
[close]

Way to tell a doctor he's wrong because you have the internet and an imagination. You spelled patients wrong for fuck's sake.
  Enough with the spell natzi campaign.  Get a new schick b.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20054 on: September 17, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »

Keep running up the tabs for poor people just because you can
What the fuck does that even mean?

Canadian medicine clearly trumps are American counterparts.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20055 on: September 17, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »
You are over medicating because of profit. You know what I fuckin meant.

Why explain drug actions physiologically and pyschologically to someone THAT HAS GONE TO SCHOOL FOR IT?

It's not fuckin rocket science to know what your doing is overkill and putting people in harms way for NO LOGICAL REASON.

And SFB maybe your lil homie can hook ya up with some xanax and snris
Gentleman ninja warlock

ungzilla

« Reply #20056 on: September 17, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »
So far as I know Brycickle isn't one of the Sackler heirs so your attacks are probably misdirected here

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20057 on: September 17, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »
So far as I know Brycickle isn't one of the Sackler heirs so your attacks are probably misdirected here

Never did I say he profits directly. That's practitioners, not the ambulance boys.

I'm sure you do a great service however I  commend that, but overprescribing or administering is what grinds my z rollers
Gentleman ninja warlock

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20058 on: September 17, 2018, 06:10:00 PM »
Giving someone pain medication that has an acute illness isn't overprescribing them. Your pain isn't the same as grandma's pain, or Joe the plumber's pain. This is why you can have someone having an MI who complains of all the the classic symptoms, yet have a female diabetic who only complains of nausea and vomiting, while having a universal MI. Everyone reacts to stimulus in different ways, and the only way to properly treat them is to take in to account their current clinical picture and presentation, balanced with their past medical history, and my experience and judgement. My goal in the prehospital setting is to get your pain to a 0/10 without snowing you to the point where the definitive care team is unable to assess them on their own.

Further to your point about any ambulance services over medicating. The primary goal of any EMS agency is just like any other medical entity: do no harm. Protocols are written in order to adhere to this. There are strict limits on what we can give to a patient without calling medical direction, and we have to make a pretty damn good case as to why the patient needs more for them to allow it.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:12:55 PM by brycickle »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #20059 on: September 18, 2018, 05:54:18 AM »
Kids get a Monday off school and get to the park early evening to see this ...

Once the embers were scraped off

Not a happy bunny.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20060 on: September 18, 2018, 07:42:35 AM »
im curious, did you just turn around and go home?
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #20061 on: September 18, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »
I purged my anger by skating too hard and continually slamming my body into alternative cement.
Not the first time it has happened, you have to be philosophical about these things.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

ungzilla

« Reply #20062 on: September 18, 2018, 08:46:20 AM »
Things I'm Not Stoked On: Sesamoiditis

As Slap is both my lawyer and medical doctor, I have come for advice. Anyone ever dealt with this bullshit? A persistent pain underneath the ball of my big toe, kinda like turf toe but more chronic and less severe. I can still skate, and to an extent once I'm warmed up the pain ebbs a bit, but if I land with a lot of weight on my back toe or like, bend my toe sharply by landing with foot half on and half off of board, I'm in a world of hurt. Really the shitty thing is that pushing hurts.

I know I just have to fucking chill for a while, but uh, how long does this shit take to go away? I can't just do nothing cuz I'll turn into jabba the hutt. Acceptable exercises to not aggravate the sesamoid bones?! Gripe complete.

cloudy

« Reply #20063 on: September 18, 2018, 09:51:10 AM »
if you're gonna try to diy a skatepark, at least sweep up the debris, especially near the landing of stairs...

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #20064 on: September 18, 2018, 10:26:16 AM »
Giving someone pain medication that has an acute illness isn't overprescribing them. Your pain isn't the same as grandma's pain, or Joe the plumber's pain. This is why you can have someone having an MI who complains of all the the classic symptoms, yet have a female diabetic who only complains of nausea and vomiting, while having a universal MI. Everyone reacts to stimulus in different ways, and the only way to properly treat them is to take in to account their current clinical picture and presentation, balanced with their past medical history, and my experience and judgement. My goal in the prehospital setting is to get your pain to a 0/10 without snowing you to the point where the definitive care team is unable to assess them on their own.

Further to your point about any ambulance services over medicating. The primary goal of any EMS agency is just like any other medical entity: do no harm. Protocols are written in order to adhere to this. There are strict limits on what we can give to a patient without calling medical direction, and we have to make a pretty damn good case as to why the patient needs more for them to allow it.

No harm?  There's generally no immediate harm when a trained professional administers opiates but the non immediate dangerous potential is that the patient gets his/her first taste of the sweet stuff and or de elops an addiction with the amount of pills handed out.  But that doesn't seem to be trained professional s department.   Doesn't matter what anyone tells you TRY your best to avoid dr prescribed opiates or any other opiates.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #20065 on: September 18, 2018, 10:34:53 AM »
if you're gonna try to diy a skatepark, at least sweep up the debris, especially near the landing of stairs...

That looks awful

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #20066 on: September 18, 2018, 10:45:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
That looks awful

That thing looks hilarious lol but I feel your pain on shitty diy..

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20067 on: September 18, 2018, 05:47:32 PM »
who the fuck is bringing concrete mix to the skatepark
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #20068 on: September 18, 2018, 05:47:41 PM »

Oh, I misunderstood.

And yeah, The Mist is definitely worth reading. Here's a pdf of it:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a135f9a11bcac04100bf22d1ed30fd1920180912155849/4b183e
It will probably especially resonate with/horrify you, since you have a son.
[/quote]

dude
thank you that was a great read

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #20069 on: September 18, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »
broken rib from skating. 
the pain! can't breath/ laugh/ sneeze/ move