Author Topic: Things You Are Not Stoked On  (Read 1886248 times)

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
Re: Things You Are Not Stoked On
« Reply #24030 on: January 25, 2022, 04:30:41 PM »
My grandma who I’ve always been pretty close to is dying.  Covid restrictions state only one family member is allowed to visit at the hospital, but “exemptions can be made for palliative or nearing end of life patients”. 

So I called and they told me that only my dad and uncle are allowed to go, even though there’s no hard rule or limit as to how many family members can go.  So they’re basically telling me that me going would be a hassle for them so I can’t. 

Would be nice if my province’s dickless flip flopping top doctor would at least implement clear limits.. so that the dying patients and their loved ones weren’t left to feel neglected or guilty about not being able to visit.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #24031 on: January 25, 2022, 10:53:20 PM »
My grandma who I’ve always been pretty close to is dying.  Covid restrictions state only one family member is allowed to visit at the hospital, but “exemptions can be made for palliative or nearing end of life patients”. 

So I called and they told me that only my dad and uncle are allowed to go, even though there’s no hard rule or limit as to how many family members can go.  So they’re basically telling me that me going would be a hassle for them so I can’t. 

Would be nice if my province’s dickless flip flopping top doctor would at least implement clear limits.. so that the dying patients and their loved ones weren’t left to feel neglected or guilty about not being able to visit.

That sucks. I am praying that you can go see her.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #24032 on: January 26, 2022, 01:25:05 PM »
I just found out my friend has to put her dog down tomorrow. Too painful especially while I sit here with my puppy snoozing on my lap under a blanket.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #24033 on: January 26, 2022, 08:28:58 PM »
WARNING: First world problem.

Friggin trying to buy a home in LA fucking sucks. Seriously put an offer $150k over asking on our dream home AND STILL GOT BEAT OUT!

What the fuck are these people offering!? Gold bars? Cocaine? Their firstborn? The blood of the innocent!?
Cash and no contingencies. We lucked out with our house and the old couple selling it said we reminded them of themselves. Sometimes it’s that stupid. if it wasn’t for them we’d probably still be trying to buy a place a year and a half later.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #24034 on: January 26, 2022, 08:34:02 PM »
Skated today and landed primo a few times on my kickflips. Wrists are getting weaker and weaker and feeling it hard every time. Sucky part of getting olds

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #24035 on: January 26, 2022, 09:50:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Friggin trying to buy a home in LA fucking sucks. Seriously put an offer $150k over asking on our dream home AND STILL GOT BEAT OUT!

What the fuck are these people offering!? Gold bars? Cocaine? Their firstborn? The blood of the innocent!?
[close]
Cash and no contingencies. We lucked out with our house and the old couple selling it said we reminded them of themselves. Sometimes it’s that stupid. if it wasn’t for them we’d probably still be trying to buy a place a year and a half later.

We've been skunked so much. One place something like that happened – 60% in cash, no appraisal, no inspection, and a 5 day loan contingency. Think escrow closed in like 14-days. Straight insane out there.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #24036 on: January 26, 2022, 09:54:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

We've been skunked so much. One place something like that happened – 60% in cash, no appraisal, no inspection, and a 5 day loan contingency. Think escrow closed in like 14-days. Straight insane out there.

What a lot of my friends are doing is looking for brand new builds / constructions for town homes and condos. No bidding war, just a straight up wait list. Might not be a factor if you guys are looking for a stand alone.

You can find a lot of the news in notes / minutes documents in city pages to see whats in the works too

But best of luck! I'll hopefully be in the same boat as you guys end of this year / beg of next

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #24037 on: January 26, 2022, 11:57:40 PM »
Expand Quote
I quit a band yesterday that claimed to be playing hardcore in the syle of cro-mags?
Instead they recycled old songs from their old band, claiming it sounded like that.

It was alternative music at best.

I was kind of bummed and gave it a chance, but the songs got worse and they sucked.
I politely said it wasn't my cup of tea and quit the band.

Guitarist flipped out, threw his laptop over, and blocked me on every platform imaginable.

After that his sister sent a message to me saying he was hurt, an dthough I was a dick for quiting.
I only said "yeah sorry this is not for me"

Dude's 44 years old.

I mean seriously ... WTF
[close]

My sympathies. Been in that "yeah this aint working" situation more than I care to admit, best case is the weird slow load up of your gear while everyone ignores you, but John Joseph'ing your laptop at any age is a bad look...let alone at 44. Maybe you dodged a bullet.

lol'd at that.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #24038 on: January 27, 2022, 04:13:33 AM »
Tried to watch Hobbs and Shaw again today (didn't make it thru) and have been watching peacemaker show (didn't especially like it at first but it's growing on me) and noticed both John Cena and the rock are shit at fight scenes. Sure they are both getting old but both are meant to be in great condition, it's their whole gimmick and also were professional wrestlers so how come they shoot their fight scenes like the would for Liam Neeson or someone who is a kinda fake tuf guy?
They even clearly use CGI and stand in stunt men for shit that's probably not even that dangerous. I miss Jackie Chan.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #24039 on: January 27, 2022, 09:21:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

We've been skunked so much. One place something like that happened – 60% in cash, no appraisal, no inspection, and a 5 day loan contingency. Think escrow closed in like 14-days. Straight insane out there.
[close]

What a lot of my friends are doing is looking for brand new builds / constructions for town homes and condos. No bidding war, just a straight up wait list. Might not be a factor if you guys are looking for a stand alone.

You can find a lot of the news in notes / minutes documents in city pages to see whats in the works too

But best of luck! I'll hopefully be in the same boat as you guys end of this year / beg of next

Yea. We thought about it, but with new townhome builds, the HOA is usually annoyingly high. We'd rather find a single family residency and put that $3-400 for an HOA towards the mortgage.

Good luck to you.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24040 on: January 27, 2022, 07:41:16 PM »
AirBnB is such shit.

Rented a place that had way less than 20inches between the front of the toilet and the wall. No way to take a shit and clean my ass without some serious stress on the body.

Cancelled and in order to get out of there. Host agreed to refund then pulled back and now won't refund.

Realizing AirBnB isn't going to have it in their rules that hosts have to provide homes up to code for the respective jurisdictions because how the fuck would AirBnB continue to make money, if they actually had/enforced this rule? They'd probably lose 80% of their listings immediately.

Also, I could just be imagining this, but I feel AirBnB has gotten worse since going pubic.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 07:52:59 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #24041 on: January 28, 2022, 09:32:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That sucks. I am praying that you can go see her.

i also hope they will let you see her :( i think that rule is cruel to say the least.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #24042 on: January 28, 2022, 03:41:03 PM »
Appreciate it!  She’s unexpectedly doing better now, maybe because she’s getting the care and nutrition that she wasn’t getting living alone at home with my uncle as her “caretaker”.. but that’s a whole other Not Stoked On mess I don’t have the capacity or understanding to dive into.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #24043 on: January 28, 2022, 06:28:31 PM »
This one’s hard, committed to cutting the cord on one of my oldest friends. Known him for 20+ years, but the right-wing nonsense tip he’s been on for some time now is giving me complete anxiety over even the thought of basic interactions with the guy.

We both grew up in a small rural community that he’s stayed in while I moved away. My ma and a large chunk of my family are still there so we’ve always been able to maintain close contact despite the distances. He’s a dude I’ve always really connected with, one of those situations where there’s no front, and you can just be yourself. The opportunities for such a relationships become so infinitely smaller as you get older - you can’t be a weird dork around any old 30 year olds you just meet. Like any friend you’ve had for decades it’s like you have your own language. Silences aren’t awkward. No passive aggressive competition like most adult ‘friends.’

He’s a white dude, my family is big and multiracial, and even as a kid he was prone to the usual bigoted crap that small town people spew. I understood it then as a product of his dyed-in-the-wool racist family… hell there were members of my own family that cut us off for marrying Indigenous and Latino folks, having mix raced babies, etc. But I had the privilege of having older brothers and uncles living in big cities to educate my ignorant ass as a kid. He didn’t. I felt a duty to pass this learning onto this friend, sometimes it worked, more times it didn’t. I never truly believed the guy had hate in his heart, and I felt - probably naively, and definitely self-absorbedly - I could keep him tethered to some semblance of humanity. It’s one of those situations I’m sure a lot of people who grew up in backwards places experience - a person who’s tolerable and kind 99% of the time, but then this 1% of evil shit that can be unleashed by seemingly nothing. There’ve been instances in the past that brought me to the brink, incidents that would definitely have caused more courageous people than myself to say “enough’s enough, get fucked bud” (ICYDK, Canadian). But, whether though cowardice of losing a part of your past, or the misguided idea that no one is beyond redemption, I trundle on with this motherfucker. I have a heart-to-heart, he shows some change, “oh look, he’s willing to admit that white privilege is a thing!” only to be followed by him saying some weird racist shit in front of my girl (also not white), who rightly declares “we’re not stopping by for ‘visits’ anymore.”

All this accelerated in the last few years, and even then I wanted to defer to “hey, everyone’s going through shit rn, have patience.” But his machine gun rapidity of conspiracy theorist podcasts, the anti-science, the anti-intellectualism, the sudden caring about “government overreach,” the disparaging of anyone talking about racial inequality, the total fragility of the male displays of whatever the fuck that freedom convoy thing is, the subtle cop endorsement - fucking all of it - too much. I have no faith in my ability to turn this around anymore.. I’m not a therapist, and definitely not a cult deprogrammer. It feels like a project I’ve been working on for 20 years is coming to absolute nothing, just a malignant unfinished failure. Which I know is a fucked and selfish way to frame a friendship, but the anger/sadness is blinding me to any enlightenment on the whole ugly thing. 

Anyway, thanks for listening SLAP. That was way too long.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #24044 on: January 28, 2022, 06:34:05 PM »
That's a real bummer, but I just wanted to say, that was a good read.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #24045 on: January 28, 2022, 06:36:07 PM »
This isn't your failure. You did everything you could and it doesn't sound like he put in nearly half that effort to meet you in the middle. He chose his fate. You don't have to make yourself feel miserable for his terrible choice in spite of your efforts. You're a good dude and he no longer deserves you. Steer your energies to more deserving people in your circle.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #24046 on: January 29, 2022, 01:49:23 AM »
Found a lump in my nutsack the other day.
Could be nothing, could be something.
On my way to dr now.

e: most likely nothing, some trapped tallow most likely. Ultrasound it to make sure.
A quick update, the lump got removed two days ago.
Now waiting for pathology reports to properly identify what it was.

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #24047 on: January 29, 2022, 03:02:39 AM »
Expand Quote
On my way to dr now.

e: most likely nothing, some trapped tallow most likely. Ultrasound it to make sure.
[close]

Hope it's all good buddy.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #24048 on: January 29, 2022, 03:09:31 AM »
This one’s hard, committed to cutting the cord on one of my oldest friends. Known him for 20+ years, but the right-wing nonsense tip he’s been on for some time now is giving me complete anxiety over even the thought of basic interactions with the guy.

Relate to your whole post hard.  I wish I had more friends from my youth that I could still talk to.  Sadly, pretty much every single one of them fell into the Qanon/right wing conspiracy theory shit during the pandemic.  My friend who fell the worst into it never gave a fuck about politics either until his facebook feed started filling his head with shit.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #24049 on: January 29, 2022, 03:26:30 AM »
Appreciate it!  She’s unexpectedly doing better now, maybe because she’s getting the care and nutrition that she wasn’t getting living alone at home with my uncle as her “caretaker”.. but that’s a whole other Not Stoked On mess I don’t have the capacity or understanding to dive into.

Great news, I hope she pulls through.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #24050 on: January 29, 2022, 03:53:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
On my way to dr now.

[close]
[close]

Hope it's all good buddy.
Thanks man, pretty sure I’m all good.
All signs point to it not being cancerous.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #24051 on: January 29, 2022, 08:00:20 AM »
I hurt my foot skating 2 weeks ago, skated today and it still hurts
check my music

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #24052 on: January 29, 2022, 09:58:26 AM »
Haven't skated in a week and a half. Two feet of snow, 10 degrees out, too risky driving 3 hours round trip to an indoor because of all the ice.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #24053 on: January 29, 2022, 10:50:36 AM »
Depression and the chronic indecisiveness that accompanies it.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #24054 on: January 29, 2022, 05:39:47 PM »
man i feel this. been trying to go to therapy but the therapist isnt helping, she just tells me to use positive affirmations. i've tried to hang myself two times since then. since i lost my job i can't explain whats happened. im almost utterly useless. its so hard to do anything.

i have a lot of really bad internal dialogue that i got from my dad and grandfather. i cant seem to do anything but negative affirmations sine they seem more believable. im also pretty bummed out that i blindly believed in my dreams and though im pretty good at the stuff i do i don't know anyone and it's all im good at and all my brain allows me to be interested in when im not depressed. im out of weed and without it i don't eat. im anorexic due to being made fun of for being fat when i was younger. fear of getting fat again.

im under the impression that the only way ill get help is if i harm someone. i have no friends and only my father who helps but i have some problem expressing to people how severe what im dealing with is. i think im good at masking. i need to go see a specialist for autism but i don't if i have one around me that takes medical.

the cat i've had since i was 22 (33 now) is losing an eye and his sight. the drs wont give me my meds. i'd use street drugs but i can't even afford them. if i had a gun id of probably ended it by now. i dont wanna die but i wanna die, it's so weird.

im at the worst place in my life ever now and i dont know if ill get out. i had to tell someone who i thought was a friend to fuck off since i found out he's a covert narcissist. the only friend i had that was a true friend joined a gang and is now in prison. i cant even call suicide hotline cuz i don't have a phone. i feel totally fucked.

its funny to me that folks don't believe in depression yet they believe someone when they have an anger issue. its like the same thing but the opposite. an overwhelming tide of emotions.
even the steven

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #24055 on: January 29, 2022, 07:04:12 PM »
man i feel this. been trying to go to therapy but the therapist isnt helping, she just tells me to use positive affirmations. i've tried to hang myself two times since then. since i lost my job i can't explain whats happened. im almost utterly useless. its so hard to do anything.

i have a lot of really bad internal dialogue that i got from my dad and grandfather. i cant seem to do anything but negative affirmations sine they seem more believable. im also pretty bummed out that i blindly believed in my dreams and though im pretty good at the stuff i do i don't know anyone and it's all im good at and all my brain allows me to be interested in when im not depressed. im out of weed and without it i don't eat. im anorexic due to being made fun of for being fat when i was younger. fear of getting fat again.

im under the impression that the only way ill get help is if i harm someone. i have no friends and only my father who helps but i have some problem expressing to people how severe what im dealing with is. i think im good at masking. i need to go see a specialist for autism but i don't if i have one around me that takes medical.

the cat i've had since i was 22 (33 now) is losing an eye and his sight. the drs wont give me my meds. i'd use street drugs but i can't even afford them. if i had a gun id of probably ended it by now. i dont wanna die but i wanna die, it's so weird.

im at the worst place in my life ever now and i dont know if ill get out. i had to tell someone who i thought was a friend to fuck off since i found out he's a covert narcissist. the only friend i had that was a true friend joined a gang and is now in prison. i cant even call suicide hotline cuz i don't have a phone. i feel totally fucked.

its funny to me that folks don't believe in depression yet they believe someone when they have an anger issue. its like the same thing but the opposite. an overwhelming tide of emotions.
Hang in there. I don’t have any easy answers, but I can relate to what you’re going through. Try to eat something if you’ve can. I know it sounds too simple, but going for a walk can help, too - at least to overcome my inertia and get my mind on something else. Maybe try https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115189.0

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #24056 on: January 29, 2022, 07:19:56 PM »

fuck dude.

please try and get a new therapist, they sound useless. and keep it together, your cat needs you.

you know suicide is a dumb thing to do!

maybe copy/paste this in the outreach thread?

lastly you deserve the help. i know asking for it might be hard. but you don't need anyones permission or don't deserve to ask.

i strongly suggest, as far as you can muster the strength and courage, to try and look for a simple, repetitive job that maybe even gets you outside. like gardenwork, mowing lawns, cleaning stuff, sorting letters and packages at the post office, something like that. or even dishwasher. something where you can just mindlessly do your thing. you might be able to maintain that job. i always found it easier to maintain these jobs without going insanely depressed, because there are just less critical moments in terms of human interaction. not that a job is the most important, but it could cross a few worries of your list without the need of finding some advisor first.

wish you and all the other pals going through horrible shit the best. we are all going through tough shit again on top of the pandemic seeming to never end. let's all hang in there and see a brighter day.

<3
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 08:53:33 PM by Frank »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #24057 on: January 29, 2022, 08:12:10 PM »
There is online chat since you don't have a phone to call the hotline.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/

I'm currently medicated for depression and anxiety. Please don't harm yourself anymore.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #24058 on: January 29, 2022, 08:18:20 PM »

Dump your therapist and get a new one if you can, preferably someone trauma informed.  There are good ones out there that can make a world of difference.  I was where you were at for a long time.  Know that you can change your perspective with the right help
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

nose stalin

• Rep: -8
« Reply #24059 on: January 29, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »
 hedgefunds are buyin all the available real estate, bill gates is buyin an obscene amount of farmland, it doesnt look good for the future. the WEF says you will own nothing and be happy but it doesnt sound that dope.
imagine you rent a skateboard and gonz has it when youre at work and tightens the trucks. not happy makin.
oh i guess china is harvesting biometric data from covid tests. sounds crazy but 60 minute covered https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biodata-dna-china-collection-60-minutes-2021-01-31/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 08:45:33 PM by nose stalin »