Author Topic: Things You Are Not Stoked On  (Read 1881056 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
Re: Things You Are Not Stoked On
« Reply #22770 on: November 09, 2020, 05:04:03 PM »
I got stabbed by needle someone left in their trash today and I’m now waiting on the results of my blood work to see if I was infected with anything.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Huell Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #22771 on: November 09, 2020, 05:06:51 PM »
I got stabbed by needle someone left in their trash today and I’m now waiting on the results of my blood work to see if I was infected with anything.

jesus. where are you living? stepping on/accidentally getting poked by a used needle has always been a huge irrational fear of mine. don't like hearing it can actually happen lol

hopin' you are in the clear my man

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22772 on: November 09, 2020, 06:10:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

jesus. where are you living? stepping on/accidentally getting poked by a used needle has always been a huge irrational fear of mine. don't like hearing it can actually happen lol

I live in Austin but I’m a traveling trash man, so my company will fly me to different job sites across the country for the week where I drive trash trucks and help pick up routes. The last few weeks I’ve been working in Nashville though.

I was in a sketchy part of town, and I had just dumped a can into the truck and I was trying to pack all of the trash into the back of the container for the trash. It uses a big hydraulic blade that pushes it back. The blade malfunctioned and pushed too far back into the container and it pulled about a ton and half of trash it was supposed to pack, behind itself. When that happens you have to fully extend the blade and get behind it and manually shovel all of that shit out.

So I hoped behind the blade into the container and the dump I was at didn’t have a shovel, so I had to get it all out by hand. I was doing it for like an hour and half when a needle punctured through the bag and ripped it open and trash went everywhere and the needle went through the gloves I was wearing and stuck me in the right index finger and I fucking freaked out.

I’ve been hella nervous all day waiting for results.

I’ll let y’all know that nice I know something, appreciate the well wishes my dude. Shalom.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #22773 on: November 09, 2020, 08:36:21 PM »
rooting for good results freelancevagrant

vindogg

« Reply #22774 on: November 10, 2020, 12:12:15 AM »
Hope it's a mellow infection! My infection was easily treatable and I'm sure yours will be too!

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #22775 on: November 10, 2020, 01:46:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I live in Austin but I’m a traveling trash man, so my company will fly me to different job sites across the country for the week where I drive trash trucks and help pick up routes. The last few weeks I’ve been working in Nashville though.

I was in a sketchy part of town, and I had just dumped a can into the truck and I was trying to pack all of the trash into the back of the container for the trash. It uses a big hydraulic blade that pushes it back. The blade malfunctioned and pushed too far back into the container and it pulled about a ton and half of trash it was supposed to pack, behind itself. When that happens you have to fully extend the blade and get behind it and manually shovel all of that shit out.

So I hoped behind the blade into the container and the dump I was at didn’t have a shovel, so I had to get it all out by hand. I was doing it for like an hour and half when a needle punctured through the bag and ripped it open and trash went everywhere and the needle went through the gloves I was wearing and stuck me in the right index finger and I fucking freaked out.

I’ll let y’all know that nice I know something, appreciate the well wishes my dude. Shalom.

Damn, had no idea a job like that existed. sounds interesting. everyday is a school day eh

Wild story though. Keep us posted

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #22776 on: November 10, 2020, 07:46:10 AM »
There is one guy at the spot who is always killing the vibe for me. He is the classic good looking and very good at skateboarding type of guy, which is cool. But fuck does he takes himself too seriously.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #22777 on: November 11, 2020, 03:46:52 PM »
There is one guy at the spot who is always killing the vibe for me. He is the classic good looking and very good at skateboarding type of guy, which is cool. But fuck does he takes himself too seriously.

sorry, I won't do it again  :-[

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #22778 on: November 11, 2020, 10:53:51 PM »
ive been waking up in the night to find my fingers bent in weird positions unable to open, like they are jarred, googled it and it says trigger finger from using machinery that vibrates frequently, i do landscaping/landscape maintenence so it checks out but god damn it sucks, says that evetually my fingers could permenantly be stuck jarred shut, might have to see a doctor

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #22779 on: November 11, 2020, 11:26:07 PM »
I recommend retiring from that industry & seeing a doctor. 

dallou

• SLAP Pal
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #22780 on: November 12, 2020, 06:07:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

sorry, I won't do it again  :-[

Don't worry about it man, just remember that skateboarding is a fun thing to do. Let's get a beer next time, no hard feelings

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22781 on: November 12, 2020, 06:10:07 AM »
Just try tricks and mimic his stress reactions when you don't make them.

Wait for him to notice and eyeball him if he looks at you.

Then run into each other's arms and suck face.

mesa50w

• Rep: -4
« Reply #22782 on: November 12, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »
mason silva dude rips but between his jock vibe and the thrasher camp force feeding this fool to us ..he just a bummer imo

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22783 on: November 12, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
saw a friend from high school this morning walk by when i was getting gas and didn’t say anything to him .. he’s homeless drug addict any mentally pretty gone .. he was doing mushrooms during class in high school and just kind progressed to what he’s become .in n out of jail .. he was talking to himself and picking up cans and looking at em all weird  . damn

just remembered he was the best of all the friends at skating . super good artist too
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22784 on: November 12, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn, had no idea a job like that existed. sounds interesting. everyday is a school day eh

Wild story though. Keep us posted

Honestly I didn’t either until I started working here. It’s cool though I’m usually done working around 3-4 and I get to skate all over the country and buy shit from different shops. Every days a school day but I still get to go home on the weekends and see my wife and daughter and skate with the homies.

Still waiting on the results and I apparently need to get tested for the next like 4 months so they can monitor any blood borne pathogen that might have infected me.

But I’m trying to see the silver lining it, if I am positive for anything I’m cashing the fuck out and never working another day in my life! Gonna be on a skate trip with the fam and a few homies for the rest of my life.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #22785 on: November 12, 2020, 08:23:20 PM »

Ill be seeing a doctor for sure, im only 32....didnt expect this to happen yet, not sure about retiring from the industry but ill have to do something differently

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #22786 on: November 13, 2020, 08:25:46 AM »
ive been waking up in the night to find my fingers bent in weird positions unable to open, like they are jarred, googled it and it says trigger finger from using machinery that vibrates frequently, i do landscaping/landscape maintenence so it checks out but god damn it sucks, says that evetually my fingers could permenantly be stuck jarred shut, might have to see a doctor

i got this from holding a knife at the butcher shop all day, my hand just kind of started to bend that way, it went away for me though

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #22787 on: November 13, 2020, 08:26:03 AM »
mason silva dude rips but between his jock vibe and the thrasher camp force feeding this fool to us ..he just a bummer imo

what's the jock vibe exactly? ripping?

dallou

• SLAP Pal
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #22788 on: November 13, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what's the jock vibe exactly? ripping?

He seemed like a cool guy in the SLAP Pals questions

Glurmpz

« Reply #22789 on: November 13, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »
UK and Europe footage. Sorry. I've been over a few times and all of the trips were bad experiences with Barcelona being the worst trip I've ever been on, so I hate to see footage from there. UK footage is especially grey and crusty. I'm actually commenting in here instead of the Tom Knox thread because I don't want to bring any negativity in there, but I couldn't even sit through that part. I turned it off after 3 minutes, then went back and tried again, and still turned it off after about another minute. This skating just does not appeal to me at all, and a huge part of that is the locale. It looks gross - not like anywhere I'd ever want to go. So it doesn't get me hyped because I don't want images of dreary ass England in my head.

Anyway, rant over. NB# shoes look like garbage too so that wasn't helping the part.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #22790 on: November 13, 2020, 02:03:23 PM »
UK and Europe footage. Sorry. I've been over a few times and all of the trips were bad experiences with Barcelona being the worst trip I've ever been on, so I hate to see footage from there. UK footage is especially grey and crusty. I'm actually commenting in here instead of the Tom Knox thread because I don't want to bring any negativity in there, but I couldn't even sit through that part. I turned it off after 3 minutes, then went back and tried again, and still turned it off after about another minute. This skating just does not appeal to me at all, and a huge part of that is the locale. It looks gross - not like anywhere I'd ever want to go. So it doesn't get me hyped because I don't want images of dreary ass England in my head.

Anyway, rant over. NB# shoes look like garbage too so that wasn't helping the part.

i can't believe this, there must be some secret behind this. it's impossible to have a bad time there. i tried my best and failed miserably. hating footage from barcelona sounds insane, even if you had a bad experience there.

also europe is like 20 countries with distinct cultures and architectures, so it doesn't look the same everywhere. you should know this if you were there. i agree though that it looks a bit drab in many places, after all, every big major city was probably bombed down at some point in the last 100 years.

anyways, i could say the same thing about footage filmed at strip malls. euro spots are rugged, but some cities in the us look like straight out of mad max. i'm not lumping in the whole country though.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #22791 on: November 13, 2020, 02:34:25 PM »

hahahaha, you really do just come off as a bitter old dickhead in all your posts. 40 year old who interned at the berrics, who hates most new things, and wears gum soled etnies.

god if i'm anywhere near as bitter as you posting on the internet in my 40's, i'd give permission to anyone to off me.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 02:43:58 PM by honey island »

Glurmpz

« Reply #22792 on: November 13, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hahahaha, you really do just come off as a bitter old dickhead in all your posts. 40 year old who interned at the berrics, who hates most new things, and wears gum soled etnies.

god if i'm anywhere near as bitter as you posting on the internet in my 40's, i'd give permission to anyone to off me.

You read the title of the thread, right?  ;D

It's Slap, chill out. Jesus. You act as if a passing comment is my permanent mind state.

Interning at TheSkateboardMag was an amazing experience, but I'm sure it makes you feel better to be safe in the Slap groupthink that is to bash all things Berrics affiliated. Have fun with that. All I did was skate an amazing park whenever I wanted, contribute to a magazine, and make some great connections. Musta sucked, huh?

I definitely am more of a nostalgic person, but I don't "hate most new things". Still, I'm sure it makes you feel better about yourself to make a huge generalization about someone you don't know, so I get it.

I'll love gum sole shoes til' I die, it's just a classic look. Great burn. Guess I'm supposed to be a mindless trend hopper who wears Nike, Adidas, Cons or NB# like everyone else. God forbid I wear shoes I genuinely like.

I'm having a blast skating, my friend, and I've even carved out a work schedule that works better than anything has in the past for me. Been doing lots of creative projects to fill the time - really, I'm doing great. I even watched the rest of that Tom Knox part and saw a few shots with sun! Dude is too good. Not really my style but he's gonna go down as a legend for sure.

Edit: also should mention Sour is basically my favorite shit, and they're based out of Barcelona, so I make exceptions.

Lighten up sweetie - it's Friday! ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 04:03:15 PM by Glurmpz »

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #22793 on: November 14, 2020, 01:09:18 PM »
Ive been looking at a line my friend filmed of me and I’m cringing at my style super hard.

Glurmpz

« Reply #22794 on: November 14, 2020, 01:46:20 PM »
Ive been looking at a line my friend filmed of me and I’m cringing at my style super hard.

I feel the same way about my own footage most of the time. I think it's pretty common to dislike your own style, but usually people are being too hard on themselves. If it's something like major toe drag etc, and you think you can do it again - do it again. Always sucks when you're looking at a finished part and there's a sloppy clip in there you know you could have done better. But if it's just your general style, don't be so hard on yourself.  ;)

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #22795 on: November 14, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel the same way about my own footage most of the time. I think it's pretty common to dislike your own style, but usually people are being too hard on themselves. If it's something like major toe drag etc, and you think you can do it again - do it again. Always sucks when you're looking at a finished part and there's a sloppy clip in there you know you could have done better. But if it's just your general style, don't be so hard on yourself.  ;)
Thanks dawg, ill keep that in mind

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #22796 on: November 15, 2020, 01:19:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ill be seeing a doctor for sure, im only 32....didnt expect this to happen yet, not sure about retiring from the industry but ill have to do something differently

Unsolicited advice here - you may be entitled to worker's comp and PT and other benefits so I'd recommend speaking to a doctor ASAP as well as if you have a union rep. Anyways, I hope you feel better soon.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #22797 on: November 15, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
I can only sleep for two hours at a time right now. This happens periodically sometimes for months on end which is why I have a lot of trouble keeping commitments. It's a big reason i've never had a stable job or completed study. I've lived on government handouts and the occasional payment for art related stuff for years and it's torturing my sense of self worth. I've tried everything but there is no consistent solution it seems. Somehow I used to have a wide network of friends, mainly through playing gigs, but I had to cut that out because once again I just can't promise that i'll be around when needed. What a mess.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #22798 on: November 15, 2020, 02:34:49 PM »
Some crazy white girl stabbed her mom in neck and skull with a pair of scissors at work last night. It was only attempted murder when I left; probably not attempted anymore. I’m on no sleep about to take my kid on a bike ride, and the coffee is offering nothing but poops.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22799 on: November 15, 2020, 03:42:16 PM »
Injuries. At least it’s injury season tho. Get hurt in November if you’re gonna.